All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

Would you be interested in an intake manifold?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 09:28 AM

Would you be interested in an intake manifold?

Hey,
I'm toying with the idea of producing some custom hand built parts as a hobby and have noticed that everybody wants a nice short runner intake manifold for the VQ but nobody makes a good one specifically for the FWD chassis.

I'd like to know if there would be a market for this. If I sold 5-10 I'd call it a successful adventure, if I sold 1 or 2 it wouldn't be worth it to me since I don't even own a Maxima right now. I'd be most interested in the VQ35 since it is the most current version.

So, who would be seriously interested in laying down several hundred dollars (3-500$ probably) for a short runner, all aluminum intake manifold that put the throttle body in the stock location?

I'd need a volunteer to do some careful before and after dyno testing and work with me on some critical dimensions, etc.

thanks,
allen
Old 03-21-2006, 09:30 AM
Maxima Owner

i woudl be interested in buying one after testing and proof of gains and stuff...but i woulndt be able to be the test mule as i cannot live wihtout my car and i dont have a 2nd car
Old 03-21-2006, 09:50 AM

i would be willin to purchase if big gains are shown to be worth spending a few hundreds of dollars.
Old 03-21-2006, 10:07 AM

Same here. Show the gains and im sure you would sell more than 5-10.
Old 03-21-2006, 10:13 AM

Just saw the post about the Kinetix manifold, what a coincidence, I didn't even know they were making one. I'll wait and see what the dyno says on their product and their retail price. I'm sure my design would match theirs atleast in terms of power, actually I'm sure I could beat them on price too.

allen
Old 03-21-2006, 10:17 AM
El Mas Noob Del Org.

If you build it they will come.
Old 03-21-2006, 10:19 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by allen22
Just saw the post about the Kinetix manifold, what a coincidence, I didn't even know they were making one. I'll wait and see what the dyno says on their product and their retail price. I'm sure my design would match theirs atleast in terms of power, actually I'm sure I could beat them on price too.
I forgot to post the price in the Kinetix thread, but I hear its gonna be $750 for the group deal before shipping and taxes (if buyer is in Cali).

Even if you can't beat em in terms of gains (which I'm sure you could do as well or better) you'll definitely beat em in price because it seems that they have their branding and some of the "bling" factor taken into account there.

Regardless, keep us posted because I'd definitely be interested in your IMs as well.
Old 03-21-2006, 10:32 AM

Wow, 750$ is high, I may have a market then.

allen
Old 03-21-2006, 10:44 AM

Wow, 750$ is high, I may have a market then.

allen
How long would a project like this take? You'd definately have a market if you can offer it for the price you quoted above.
Old 03-21-2006, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Glude
How long would a project like this take? You'd definately have a market if you can offer it for the price you quoted above.

Depends on the interest, if I had a few people who could prove their interest by putting a certain percentage down to help cover the cost of materials then I could get started on it right away.

Bottom line, if I had a few definately "sold" then things would progress quickly, I don't see it taking longer than a few weeks if all went well.

allen
Old 03-21-2006, 11:05 AM
El Mas Noob Del Org.

Depends on the interest, if I had a few people who could prove their interest by putting a certain percentage down to help cover the cost of materials then I could get started on it right away.

Bottom line, if I had a few definately "sold" then things would progress quickly, I don't see it taking longer than a few weeks if all went well.

allen
I would be very interested. How much do you want down to get started?
Old 03-21-2006, 11:10 AM

allen

I'm interested, but i have a vq30, so does that count? how far is joplin, MO from stl? i went to undergrad in stl and wouldn't mind making trips down from chicago when i have time this summer if you need a vq30 test mule.
Old 03-21-2006, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by vq356sp
I would be very interested. How much do you want down to get started?
I guess if I had 2 or 3 people who could deposit 100$ each that would be sufficient to get the ball rolling. That would cover enough of the materials that I would feel safe investing my money for the rest of them.

allen
Old 03-21-2006, 11:40 AM
LandShark has Cosworth

I'd need a volunteer to do some careful before and after dyno testing and work with me on some critical dimensions, etc.

thanks,
allen
So is Topeka KS close enough ?? I won't have the 3.5 installed for a couple on months, but my 3.0 is still working..... And there is a great chassis dyno here in town.

Old 03-21-2006, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by aznsap
I'm interested, but i have a vq30, so does that count? how far is joplin, MO from stl? i went to undergrad in stl and wouldn't mind making trips down from chicago when i have time this summer if you need a vq30 test mule.

For now at least this will be for VQ35's only. If this goes well I could change the design easily enough for the VQ30 people, all I'd have to change would be the flange.

allen
Old 03-21-2006, 01:14 PM

if it is under the kinetix price and show the same gains people will get it.
if you need 100 to start i'll deposit that amount. but first you have to find the test car and as soon as you get everything straight i give 100 down for the manifold.
Old 03-21-2006, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by grey99max
So is Topeka KS close enough ?? I won't have the 3.5 installed for a couple on months, but my 3.0 is still working..... And there is a great chassis dyno here in town.

That would probably work, your about 4 hours from here according to Yahoo.

I'd need it tested on a 3.5 though first.

allen
Old 03-21-2006, 01:41 PM

Alright, I've got one deposit confirmed by PM, if I get 2 more we may be in business.

As far as the dimensions go I can get that here at work from cars we have. I'll definatly need a tester though to do some accurate before and after dyno tests w/ no bull and no other changes to the car like exhaust, different dyno, etc.

If you want to confirm a deposit PM me. Once I get atleast 3 and a confirmed tester that I can trust I'll feel good about it and we can go from there.

allen
Old 03-21-2006, 05:08 PM
dot dot dot ...

From a consumers standpoint... Yes we would all be interested if there were proven agains for a good price.
Old 03-21-2006, 05:32 PM

Ok guys, got 2 people who have commited to the deposit via PM.

allen
Old 03-21-2006, 06:35 PM
Maxima Owner

allen
i bet u can and i have no doubts...and u can sell alot for a few hundo....or like 350 eh he hee.....when u do it make a jig and mass produce that **** somewhat...again i would be the later crowd with the vq30 runs
Old 03-21-2006, 09:15 PM

I can give $100 down if the 3 people haven't shown up yet. Honestly, if this thing can give good gains (possibly as much as the Kinetix) w/o the high-price, I'd buy it.

PM'ed.
Old 03-22-2006, 05:47 AM

PM recieved, that makes 3 confirmed deposits but I still need someone trustworthy who's been around the .org for a while who will volunteer for the testing. Anybody?

Also, we need to discuss some things regarding cosmetics. Does anybody care if the stock engine cover remains? I don't want to design around it honestly, I'd much rather not have to worry about that. I think most 4th gen 3.5 swappers won't care but not sure about the 5th and 6th gen'ers.

And, I need to know what throttle body to design for, the old cable type or the new drive by wire type? Maybe it can be drilled for both.

allen
Old 03-22-2006, 07:46 AM
El Mas Noob Del Org.

PM recieved, that makes 3 confirmed deposits but I still need someone trustworthy who's been around the .org for a while who will volunteer for the testing. Anybody?

Also, we need to discuss some things regarding cosmetics. Does anybody care if the stock engine cover remains? I don't want to design around it honestly, I'd much rather not have to worry about that. I think most 4th gen 3.5 swappers won't care but not sure about the 5th and 6th gen'ers.

And, I need to know what throttle body to design for, the old cable type or the new drive by wire type? Maybe it can be drilled for both.

allen
I could care less about the engine cover. as for the throttle body i think most of the guys on here have the new drive by wire you should go with that.
Old 03-22-2006, 07:50 AM
Maxima Owner

I know u already touched on this ...but once the 3.5 ones sre done and tested u would be willing to mindidy ur design to accomodate 3.0s...right...since our TB and Lower IM are different....is there anythign special in the BOX portion of the mainfold or is it wide open...or does it have runners for each cylinder hidden in there
Old 03-22-2006, 09:42 AM

tb should be drive by wire. then if demand on the cable type, just drill new holes and thats it.
Old 03-22-2006, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by MaximaSE96
I know u already touched on this ...but once the 3.5 ones sre done and tested u would be willing to mindidy ur design to accomodate 3.0s...right...since our TB and Lower IM are different....is there anythign special in the BOX portion of the mainfold or is it wide open...or does it have runners for each cylinder hidden in there
If this happens then there will be six individual short runners in the main plenum ("box")flared at the ends for a velocity stack effect. It would be possible to use actual cylindrical rings or "donuts" on each runner as well but I'm not sure if it would be worth the cost, we'll see on that.

Modifying this design for a 3.0 would be easy enough, if the 3.5's go well I'll definatley be looking into that.

allen
Old 03-22-2006, 10:28 AM

I can't volunteer for the testing because I'm over 1,000 miles from ya and I need my car everyday.

I will chime in on the other stuff though: I don't really care for the stock cover, so won't matter to me. I have DBW, so I'd have to vote for that too.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:14 AM

Here's a couple links to pics of some general ideas I have:

http://www.engineswaptech.com/photos...picture58.aspx

http://www.engineswaptech.com/photos...picture57.aspx

Keep in mind, these are just ideas for now.

allen
Old 03-22-2006, 01:08 PM
Maxima Owner

i was also thinking bringing the TB from teh side like sotck and tappering a the main plenum box down kind of like Supra and Skyline aftermarket manifold....jsut to eliminate the bent around behind the maniold....and going strait in....i am gonna go some drawings in inventor when i get home form work and ill send them to you
Old 03-22-2006, 06:29 PM
Maxima Owner

a kwik rendering
Old 03-22-2006, 06:46 PM

gains is the important thing.
looks interesting.
cool design but is it going to be even flow?
Old 03-22-2006, 08:50 PM

I wonder how well dual T/B's would work with this system. Like one at each side, haha.
Old 03-23-2006, 06:22 AM
Maxima Owner

Originally Posted by virgilio7
gains is the important thing.
looks interesting.
cool design but is it going to be even flow?
well thats y the plenum is angled because with the TB on the side it could starve tha last 2 cylinders of air it it was a regualr box design...also u cant see the velocity stacks on the insude...if i put up the wire frame version it would be hard to see...Kinetix has the TB comming into the back of the pleunum righ in the middle but that adds an additional bend that really isnt needed for FWD vehicles

as far as dual TB i dont think the gains if any would be worth tha hassle ...now Individual throttle bodies per cyline like an RB26dett now that would be sometign to think about...but again thats alot more research and development and that will further increase cost
Old 03-23-2006, 08:37 AM

one more vq30 thats intrested, check pm
Old 03-23-2006, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by MaximaSE96
well thats y the plenum is angled because with the TB on the side it could starve tha last 2 cylinders of air it it was a regualr box design...also u cant see the velocity stacks on the insude...if i put up the wire frame version it would be hard to see...Kinetix has the TB comming into the back of the pleunum righ in the middle but that adds an additional bend that really isnt needed for FWD vehicles
got it
thanks
looks very promising. material? sheet metal? aluminum?
Old 03-23-2006, 01:19 PM
Maxima Owner

...yea the angle of the plenum is more for forcing air to the far end of the plenum...if u look at aftermaket supra and skyline sheet metal manifolds its a similar design ....i have it as aluminum....but its really upto Allen22 when he decides to do it what he wants to used....both would be fine..but aluminum would be lighter obviously....i am gonna tweak it some more tonite and hopefullt get some hard dimensions and do some flow calcs
Old 03-23-2006, 03:21 PM

Here's another interested 3.0

So far I'm liking what I see. Keep up the good work guys.
Old 03-23-2006, 07:54 PM

Allen, looks like Kinetix's FWD plenum didn't dyno as well as they wanted to and they are looking to "redesign". Here's your chance to jump in the market.
Old 03-23-2006, 08:19 PM

Yeah, who knows how long it will be till we see the redesign

Quick Reply: Would you be interested in an intake manifold?