4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

stero removal help

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 07:09 AM
I will eat your children

stero removal help

my friend just wrecked her 99 its totaled and wants to keep her aftermarket headunit. she asked me for some help. the guy at the inpound yard said some special tool is needed. a found a link where some site wants you to pay for instructions. i have a 3rd gen and dont think i will ever do a 4 gen stero agian so it is not worth paying for in my oppinion. just lookin for some help. free instructions. i searched through the stickies but didnt see any thing. thanks in advance
Old 03-09-2006, 07:31 AM
This ORG has saved me $$$$$$$$

I think if you just do a Google search for the stereo removal it shouldn't be too hard.

The trick is just knowing where the bolts are. I think on my 98 I removed the ash tray and there was a bolt behind the ask tray and one to the left of the ash tray kind of hidden. Just take a REAL close look at the area around the stereo.

Also I believe you can use a flat head to just pop out the air vents that are above the stereo. This will reveil some more bolts.

Since she wrecked the car you may want to consider taking some other parts from the engine if it's not messed up.

Oh and I don't know anything about a special tool. Except for the person that told you you needed one.
Old 03-09-2006, 08:00 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

first two things:

1. remove air vents up top by prying with a flat screwdriver (with a towel so u dont damage anything)..pry from the bottom portion of the air vents..pry it enough to get your fingers in there and keep pulling on the bottom till it pops out, then pull down on the air vent assembly and the whole thing will come out
2. take out the piece around the shifter ,self-explanatory

then this..
3. take out the ash tray, the right side of it pops out, the left side is held in by 1 screw

and this..
4. the storage tray, head unit, and climate controls are all one piece, and are held in by 4 screws, one on each corner of the whole assembly...remove all 4 screws and the whole thing comes out
hope this helps
Old 03-09-2006, 08:18 AM

easiest way to do this...

1. take a flat head screw driver and put it between the vent and dash that are above your stereo. there are 2 clips on either side that hold that piece in place. the vent assembly will pop out. once you get the clips free, youre gonna have to pull on it a little bit. ur gonna have to prop the vent assembly somewhere becasue itl be in the way.

2. under the vents, there are 2 screws that hold the rest of the center console. uncrew those. i think theyre gold in color.

3. around the shifter is a plastic piece that pops out. kind of pull it back and out of place. the cig lighter wire is gonna be in the way, so unplug it.

4. there is 1 screw above where the cig lighter was, and one on the other side of the ash tray. unscrew both.

5. you do not have to remove the ash tray, but if you want you can. if you do not remove the ash tray, the whole center console that is one piece and sits behind it. just remember this when you reinstall the center console.

6. so once you have uncrewed the 4 screws, the whole center console comes out as one piece. pull it out so you can unplug all the wires. the headunit is held in by 4 screws. unplug the wires going into the headunit, unscrew the screws holding the headunit in place, then pull it out towards you.

7. now youre headunit should be free, and all you have to do is keep the set of wires that plug into the headunit. then to use the headunit in your car, go to best buy or radio shack, or even walmart and buy a wiring kit specific for your car. then all you have to do is splice the wires on the wiring kit, and put them all together. theyre all color coded. it just takes time splicing and taping.

if youre ever in ct, i could get it done in 10 to 15 mins.

hope this helps, i worte it real fast
Old 03-09-2006, 08:22 AM

It should be very easy

remove the top vents. and the shifter trim to locate the bolts
Old 03-09-2006, 08:22 AM
shift_Puff

if the car i totaled, why not have fun and rip apart the interior until the radio is out. Just brake off everything around it and whatever screws you see that the radio is attached to, remove them and the radio comes out. If I were u, keep the extra harness that was installed with the radio(between radio and original radio plug) and the antenna adapter.
Old 03-09-2006, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by 95mtlMAXSE
if the car i totaled, why not have fun and rip apart the interior until the radio is out. Just brake off everything around it and whatever screws you see that the radio is attached to, remove them and the radio comes out. If I were u, keep the extra harness that was installed with the radio(between radio and original radio plug) and the antenna adapter.

because that would be a very thing to do. and why would you do that to a maxima? plus you could sell a buncha stuff instead of ruining it.

BTW, by any chance does the car have tan leather seats? cuz i got dibbs on those
Old 03-09-2006, 09:10 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

here is the website that you can check.
when I change my head unit, this website was a big help
http://www.carstereohelp.com/stereoremovalNisMax0.htm
let me know if you have any other questions
Old 03-09-2006, 04:32 PM
I will eat your children

thanks for all the help. i dont know the future fir the car and am not able to take anything from it. she just called for a favor since i also have a max. just didnt know how different from the 3rd gen it was to get the headunit out. thanks agian