5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.
View Poll Results: Would you be interested to see 5th gen suspension tuning thread?
yes
94.72%
no
5.28%
Voters: 322. You may not vote on this poll

Need a favor from EVERYONE with lowering springs

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 10:36 PM
Driving is the next best thing

Need a favor from EVERYONE with lowering springs

This thread is a part of Suspension Sticky on the top of this section.

Since opinions are also very important when choosing suspension products, I would like to ask everyone who’s already lowered to answer the following questions. The more people will reply the better, since everyone has his/her own opinion. If you had more than one setup, comment on your previous setups as well. If you are not sure how to answer any of these questions simply skip it and go to the next one.

1 List all your suspension mods and settings (springs, shocks, bracing, bushings, sway bars, cut bump stops etc)

2 Your driving skills and experience

3 How often you bottom out and at what conditions

4 How your car feels when driven around town

5 Impressions on curvy roads

6 High speed driving and high speed stability

7 Ride quality (how would your family member describe it)

Advanced handling questions:

8 Behavior when going through a constant radius single apex corner (turn in/mid corner/ exit) at low, medium and high speed.

9 Behavior when going through an S turn or when doing emergency lane change at low, medium and high speed.

10 Is your car predictable?

11 Additional information that you feel is important

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by DrKlop; 10-16-2007 at 10:59 AM.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:59 PM
Sports Button FTW

1 List all your suspension mods and settings (springs, shocks, bracing, bushings, sway bars, cut bump stops etc)

Tein H tech springs, Tokico Illumina's (5/5), Custom Enterprise FSTB

2 Your driving experience (not more than two - three lines please)

Handling has a major improvement. Turns I see a good 10 mph increase without worries. Also speeding just feels easier and safe.

Never

I feel bumps a lot, especially potholes. I'm guessing cause of 5/5. I dont mind the ride, tahts why I have it the same 5/5 even after months of ownership.

Improvement that can be felt.

Improvement, high speed is definitely more stable than before.

Its not a Mercedes for sure. They'll say its more for a race car

8 Behavior when going through a constant radius single apex corner (turn in/mid corner/ exit) at low, medium and high speed.

Improvement for sure.

9 Behavior when going through an S turn or when doing emergency lane change at low, medium and high speed.

when turning, car feels more straight (like a runnerback is supposed to run through defenders, the car keeps its shoulders squared so turns feel safer even if they are quick and at high speeds.

Yes?

NO squeeks, no noises having to do with suspension.
Old 03-01-2006, 11:27 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Tein H Techs, Tockico Iluminas 2F/3R Stillen front & rear strut braces, Stillen rear sway bar. 235/45/17 Pirelli P Zero Nero M+S tires at 34psi all around on 17x8 Mille Miglia rims. No trimming of bump stops. I have 16 years of driving & love high speed driving but I am by no means a racer. I have been to the track once & raced 3 times & have never driven in auto x. I did have advanced auto training from several different police officers . I love the 2F/3R setup here in NewYork city. I would go a little firmer if not for such poor road conditions. Large pot holes will cause a occasional bottoming out but the same could be said for stock suspension.The ride around town is nice & firm confidence inspiring never feels out of control. Curvy roads are welcome & handle with no problems. High speed driving is very good & stable but was better when I had the front & rear set up at 3F/4R felt like it was on rails. My wife hated any setting of the Iluminas other than the 2F/3R setting everything else was to harsh on bumps & imperfications in the road. Behavior when going through a constant radius single apex corner the entry is sweet at all speeds with a neutral /very slight understeer , Mid corner at high speeds I tend to let up for fear of rear front braking loose. Exiting is a breeze at low & medium speeds & I am cautious at high speeds to me the car feels very predictable but much more so when Illuminas were set tighter up front. Overall I love this setup & would not change a thing. I love the springs as well as the struts. Hope this helps
Old 03-02-2006, 04:57 AM
Booyah grandma.... BOOYAH

Kyb GR2 Struts, Vogtland Springs, Front bumpstops cut 1.5" rear 2.0"

2 Your driving skills and experience (even if you just got your licence, your response will still be helpful)

11 yrs of driving expirence some autocrossing in my old car, Honda Prelude SH

Have not yet, but I am carefule at drive ways and speedbumps

A clean firm ride, no sloppiness on bumps or curves

Excellent, you throw the car in and it will hold tight will very little body roll. Snapping out of the turn the car will return to center quickly without and reverse body roll.

On the interstate you feel like you can hit any turn at any speed and feel completely safe. I set the cruise at 78 - 80mph and dont tap the brakes for any turn.

My 6 month thanks me for not having his brains bounce on the inside of his skull. He fall asleep 5 min into any drive

Pretty much and any speed the car feels the same, whatever body roll there is it will be there at the begining of the turn and stay that way through the turn. It finds its place to settle and waits for you to finish the turn. Also car gives you great feeling back to the driver, its easy to make good decisions.

Can't say I have alot of feedback on this type

Absolutely

I know people are not too big on the GR2s but I am completely satisfied and a little surprised at the quality this setup. For $472 shipped to my door, its a steal. My offer still stands anyone it the Northern Illinois area who wants to see for themself I will be more than happy to give a test drive.

Fat
Old 03-02-2006, 09:42 AM
It's business time.

1 Tokico Illuminas (3F/4R), Tein H-Techs, bump stops cut one section in front, none in rear, Progress RSB, Ebay FSTB.

2 I don't do any racing but I enjoy spirited driving every now and then. Since I've been driving since I was 16 I think I have relatively good experience under my belt but not much race-type driving. I've never auto crossed but am interested in doing it.

3 Never ... yet.

4 Great, except over large potholes and bumps. Cincinnati roads FTL. When roads are smooth it feels much better than stock.

5 Much less body roll than stock. Feels more stable in corners and turn in is improved.

6 Much better connection with road.

7 No complaints as of yet. I can tell it’s stiffer than stock but it isn’t jarring.

8 Yet to test.

9 Significantly less body roll than stock, much more planted and controllable.

10 Yes, have yet to have over steer issues.

11 On stock wheels w/ Toyo Proxes 4
Old 03-02-2006, 12:54 PM
The Definitive AE Master

BC coilovers with 9kg eibach front springs and helper set, 6kg eibach rear springs. Oil filled dampeners with pressurized gas. FSTB, RSB, full ES bushings. I can comment on the original sprint/agx combo if you'd like also

moderate. Two road course events and one HPDE event

NEVER. The is quite a bit of lateral travel available

imagine a 350Z track edition or some other stock high performance car that has a rather stiff factory suspension. Smooth ride but you feel the road imperfections without losing a kidney

minimal lean, no tire squeel, predictable weight transition

perfectly normal and planted. The helper spring set helps due because extra droop can be set for the suspension to unload

"sporty" - gentle enough where children still fall asleep on trips

low to med speed - neutral, high speed - moderate on throttle understeer at late mid corner and exit

rear end stays planted, sharp steering response

very

Please read Sport Compact Car August 2005 issue for explanations why OVER-lowering your car is detrimental to handling. I am supplying a excerpt for all customers purchasing my coilovers. The car is equipped with aerodynamic aids which help for high speed stabiilty. I also have subframe bushings which lower the car 0.25 inches without affecting suspension geometry.

Ride alongs will be offered to any members upon request in the local area

18x9 fronts 245/40 falken 451
18x9.5 rears 275/35 falken 451
Old 03-02-2006, 04:24 PM

1) Eibach springs, Tokico Illumina struts (4/4), OTTO FSTB, (this is even with the very non sport oriented BFG Traction T/A's @ 35psi) :EDIT: No cut bumpstops.

2) I'm an aggressive/spirited driver who loves stretches of canyon highways.

3) Only bottoming out is upwards of 80mph on large smooth dips with the trunk full of my stuff (moving).

4) Car is very composed around town, but if the road gets $hitty, things get a bit rough.

5) Curvy roads are my one true love. She stays flat, grabs on and almost pulls you through the corners.

6) Only been up to 125mph, but the car is still very stable. No weaving or shaking.

7) The ride is very firm, but controlled. I've never heard a complaint though.

8) Crisp turn-in, minimal roll, very neutral at the limit, will oversteer slightly if pushed hard.

9) Great with emergency lane changes. After swerving to avoid something I always think 'did the car anticipate my actions?' minimal roll, no drama.

10) Should be evident after the last question. The car is very predictable

11) Watch badly maintained railroad tracks. That's my only advise.
Old 03-03-2006, 07:57 AM
The Definitive AE Master

Old suspension setup (1 year time frame)

Kyb AGX with 4th gen sprint springs, partially cut bump stops, FSTB, RSB

beginning moderate, one HPDE event

Quite often. Pot holes, speed bumps, and railroad tracks

sporty on smooth roads, a pogo stick on bad roads, slightly floaty on the freeway

moderate lean, off and on throttle understeer, front end plowed

moderately safe, not too comfortable at the limit

overall okay with moments of uncomfortability

low to med speed - front end plow, high speed on throttle understeer and front end plow off throttle

Got the rear end to slip out on a S turn at high speed. Heavy leaning

Yes, but not very safe

I can comment on D2 coilovers also
Axis Se73ns 18x7.5
235/40 Kuhmo Ecsta 712's
Old 03-03-2006, 08:31 AM

Tein H-techs, Tokico Illumnias 3F/3R, 18x8 infiniti G35c wheels, 235/40/18 tires, bumpstops aren't cut

Driving for like 3 years. I take turns hard sometimes and drive fast, but I am probably not nearly as experienced as some of the other members. No auto-x or drag strips or anything like that.

Never....well the other night i had 3 hockey bags, and 3 ppl in my car and was going up a slight incline and then there was a railroad crossing and I was going kinda fast and it sounded like the back hit something. I never bottom out at that place though, I think it was the speed and all of the bags and ppl.

Feels like stock, no one notices that I have a new suspension.

I was on the back roads of RI the other day and I was very impressed with the handling. I was going like 45-50 and it was handling very well.

Feels great.

No one notices unless I hit a pothole or like a bump in the road. It doesn't hurt, but it makes a loud thump and they are like ohhhh.

N/A

Very responsive at all speeds, a lot better than stock

Yea

The h-techs with illuminas are a great upgrade. I have some noise in the back and sometimes in the front when going over speed bumps. I don't know what it is. But I am going to my dads shop this weekend and I will let everyone know.
Old 03-03-2006, 08:42 AM
Banned

1 List all your suspension mods and settings Maxspeed springs, stock struts, Custom Maxima FSTB, Pilot Sport A/S rubber
2 Your driving skills and experienceAverage driver.

3 How often you bottom out and at what conditions Never

4 How your car feels when driven around town bounces a little in the rear: possibly blown rear strut

5 Impressions on curvy roads holds pretty well, but rear needs to be tightened

6 High speed driving and high speed stability very stable at all speeds

7 Ride quality (how would your family member describe it) a little bouncy

8 Behavior when going through a constant radius single apex corner (turn in/mid corner/ exit) at low, medium and high speed. low: little to no roll, medium: increased roll, but still holds well, High: more prominent rear roll, but still holds

9 Behavior when going through an S turn or when doing emergency lane change at low, medium and high speed. same problems and feel as a constant turn except at the direction change: the rear wants to kick out some

10 Is your car predictable?very

11 Additional information that you feel is important with aftermarket struts and a rear sway bar, the car will be 100% solid in the corners. Also would like to note that there are no knocking or rattling issues in the suspension
Old 03-03-2006, 12:21 PM

1. illuminas (2/3), h techs, rsb, fstb, 225/55/17 turanza lsv, (my old set up was with JIC A1's - in a few words they offer unbalievable handeling at the price of reliability and shattering your teeth)

2. did a few autocross events with miata, consider myself an above average driver

3. no bottom out ye but i should have cut bump stops maybe 1/2 inch.

4-5. ride feels great, well above stock handeling, but not at all like coilovers. great comprimise!

6. feels stable but w/o cutting bumpsops feels dangerous over big holes at big speeds.

7. on softest setting its a good ride, but on 3/3 it can get rough in NY

8-9. car feels good in every situation, the thing is that these cars have a bad turning radius and steering isnt razor sharp so thats what makes it a bit hrader to take small/sharp corners at high speeds (even if the suspension is suitable)

10. predicable. a big part of that is the tires i think, great sidewalls on bridgesones!

11. dont get coilovers unless u are really hardcore or live where roads are flawless!!! illuminas are the only way to go, h techs are nice and come with isolators, other than that eibach may be a better chose for the springs!
Old 03-03-2006, 01:26 PM
"tse-tse fly"

1 List all your suspension mods and settings tokico blues , progress springs TOYO tpt tires OEM specs, Otto FSTB
2 Your driving skills and experience Average driver.

3 How often you bottom out and at what conditions Never
4 How your car feels when driven around town stiffer than stock bouncy when over smooth bumps hits hard over potholes
5 Impressions on curvy roads holds pretty well, but rear needs to be tightened as well
6 High speed driving and high speed stability very stable at all speeds
7 Ride quality (how would your family member describe it) rough and too low

8 Behavior when going through a constant radius single apex corner (turn in/mid corner/ exit) at low, medium and high speed. low: little to no roll, medium: increased roll, but still holds well, High: more prominent rear roll, but still holds

9 Behavior when going through an S turn or when doing emergency lane change at low, medium and high speed. same problems and feel as a constant turn except at the direction change: the rear wants to kick out some

10 Is your car predictable? sometimes

11 Additional information that you feel is important with aftermarket struts and a rear sway bar, the car will be 100% solid in the corners. Also would like to note that there are no knocking or rattling issues in the suspension
Old 03-03-2006, 02:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 2K3MAX2NV
1 List all your suspension ...
did you just cut and paste my answers?
Old 03-03-2006, 03:26 PM
Drug Money

K-Sport coilovers, FSTB, RSTB.

I drive like a noob.

I only bottom out when a sidewalk entrance bump is like /\ - teh slammed 24"

I was shaking when I got out of the car after a drive in downtown SF at max stiff.

Addicted to them - oversteer - only fun when dry.

Going 130mph. I feel MUCH more stable - MUCH more control.

Mang, do you even have shock absorbers!?

Oversteer - body flex eliminated - turning radius is the same as stock.

The sides don't dip at any speed. Car is flat.

Very.

If you get CO's get slammed.
Old 03-03-2006, 03:29 PM

1) JICs, F&R STB, RSB, ES MM, 18s with 245/40 toyo 4s
2) advanced, over 10 HDPE events, only 2 in the boat..aka maxima
3) never
4) stiff like ron jeremy in his prime
5) great, needs SFCs to stay more stable
6) see above
7) horrible, handling>ride thats MY opinion too many people whine about ride quality but want to handle like a porsche..
8) IMO its about the driver and how far he can push his car
9) same as above
10) yes
11) lots of people think they can put on springs and shocks and become racecar drivers. not the case. and auto-x IMO is no way of judgeing how your car handles. most coarses at least in NY are SLOW and boring. bring your car to an HPDE event and then comment on how it handles when you are going 100+ mph.
Old 03-03-2006, 03:33 PM
"tse-tse fly"

Originally Posted by GBAUER
did you just cut and paste my answers?

alot of similar answers to mine plus i did this in a rush
Old 03-03-2006, 03:51 PM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

1 List all your suspension mods and settings Maxspeed springs, Illuminas struts, Custom Maxima FSTB, Pilot Sport A/S rubber, Stillen knockoff RSB
2 Your driving skills and experience: normal daily driver.

3 How often you bottom out and at what conditions: Never

4 How your car feels when driven around town: normal

5 Impressions on curvy roads: holds really good

6 High speed driving and high speed stability: very stable at all speeds

7 Ride quality (how would your family member describe it): not bouncy at all.. nice ride.

8 Behavior when going through a constant radius single apex corner (turn in/mid corner/ exit) at low, medium and high speed. less roll than stock but it will always be there.

9 Behavior when going through an S turn or when doing emergency lane change at low, medium and high speed. Sometimes it pulls more but easy to correct.

10 Is your car predictable? no car is predictable....only the driver is

11 Additional information that you feel is important: everybody should get any kind of RSB best mod for the price...., the car is 95% solid in the corners.
Old 03-05-2006, 04:06 PM

Thanks to everyone who has already posted their review.

However, we need more responses in order for the thread to be as helpful as I planned.
Old 03-05-2006, 04:31 PM
It's business time.

Originally Posted by DrKlop
Thanks to everyone who has already posted their review.

However, we need more responses in order for the thread to be as helpful as I planned.
Put a link to it in your sig.
Old 03-05-2006, 07:00 PM

I was thinking about it but I only want 5th gen owners reply to this thread. Thanks though.

Come on people, the more the better! This information is subjective but:

a lot of subjective info = correct info
Old 03-05-2006, 07:43 PM
It's business time.

I was thinking about it but I only want 5th gen owners reply to this thread. Thanks though.

Come on people, the more the better! This information is subjective but:

a lot of subjective info = correct info
So what? Just put a message in it saying something like "4th genners need not apply."
Old 03-06-2006, 08:26 AM

-Tokico Illuminas (2,3), Progressive Tech Springs, Custom Maxima FSTB, Progress RSB, Stock Bump Stops
-5 Years experience in a maxima. No courses or classes or track/auto X experience.
-Never yet. just installed suspension yesterday.
-Great. No body roll compared to stock. Better lines going through turns. Feels planted.
-Far better than stock, minamalistic body roll, able to handle a higher rate of speed (10mph more no problem), More feel in terms opf the car reacting to the road conditions.
-Considerably better. Car is planted to the ground. Much better turns at 80+mph, able to take more agressive lines through turns.
-A little harsher than stock. Feel the bumps a little more but nothing uncomfortable.

-Dont know yet
-Able to take turns 10mph (or more) faster than before without worrying about it at all. Low speed agressive manuvers feel alot more stable and easier to control (not alot of experience yet).
-More so than before.
-Besides the car looking way better than stock, there is such an improvement over stock ride, handling, and control that dropping a little cash on suspension is without ? worth it.
*photos/comparison to my i30t http://themistry.com/img/AlexDropPictures/ Its only a day old so itll settle alil more
Old 03-06-2006, 10:31 AM
I C U

Definatley a useful Thread. Especially for someone like myself who's in the market for a suspension mod. I'm interested in seeing the responses of anyone who has H-Techs with HP Blues and lives in an area with bad pothole ridden roads (like NY). Keep up the great info guys.
Old 03-06-2006, 10:33 AM

The potholes get to you with H-techs but they aren't kidney rattling. I would definitely go with the illuminas if you get the h-techs, especially in NY.
Old 03-06-2006, 11:19 AM
It's business time.

Originally Posted by illlojik
Definatley a useful Thread. Especially for someone like myself who's in the market for a suspension mod. I'm interested in seeing the responses of anyone who has H-Techs with HP Blues and lives in an area with bad pothole ridden roads (like NY). Keep up the great info guys.
Cincinnati has butt sauce roads and H-techs with Illuminas are handling pretty well. There is less travel in the suspension, naturally, so there will be more body movement but it isn't that noticeable.
Old 03-06-2006, 03:44 PM

Tokico Illuminas, Eibachs Spring 1.5, 1.0 drop, Progress RSB, Falkien Ziex 512 235/45/17s on factory 03 Titanium Package Polished rims.

2 Your driving skills and experience (even if you just got your licence, your response will still be helpful)

7.5 driving experience. 116k on my Maxima since brand new 22 months ago.
I drive at least 40k a year. My last job I had for 2 years drove through all conditions all across eastern pa over 45k a year. For my age consider myself a very experienced driver

My front lip about once a month when I take a turn quickly into a parking lot to avoid oncoming traffic.

Awesome. Smooth don't even notice the "sport" tuning.

Amazing....just look at my front tires...worn alot around the edges.

Great

Rides as comfortable as any other car over the millions potholes in PA.

Very little roll...holds tight to the road.

Will keep posted

Does a bear crap in the woods?

The eibachs don't get alot of praise but I feel the are the best springs to get if you don't want a big drop to be scraping your body but still want to upgrade. I wouldn't go any lower than it is now but it looks and feels great.
Old 03-06-2006, 04:22 PM

Jason,
I noticed your sig says that you got Konis. Did you have them installed before illuminas, or they are waiting to be installed?
Old 03-06-2006, 04:28 PM

::Tokico blues up front and KYB AGX adjustables in rear (6/8), HR springs, Stillen rear Sway and FSB.

::Mostly a daily driver but I will push the limits on curves every now and then. 12 years of driving experience.

::Extremely rare but has happened on 4" deep potholes (Minnesota Roads).

::Very comfortable on smooth pavement, can definitely feel bumps, accentuated during cold weather.

::Smooth stable turn ins, slight body roll but much minimized from stock. Mostly due to car weight.

::The faster I go, the more stable it feels on a straightaway. Also tends to respond much better in lane changes than stock.

::Mostly smooth and comfortable except on bumps or potholes. I believe the rear setting is too stiff. Going to change it tonight and see what happens.

::Low speed, excellent response.
Medium speed, good grip and response
High speed, a little touchy at extreme cornering

::Low speed, no body roll
Medium speed, some body roll.
High speed, definite body roll but in all cases very controllable.

::Yes, pretty easy to learn the feel. I am more comfortable letting others drive the car after the modifications.

::I purchased the car with the current suspension setup and have always been curious what it would be like with a matched set of shocks. I was informed by the seller (an .orger) that he and his local community had tested up to 20 different cars with different combinations of available brands at the time (2001) and this offered the best ride quality/performance setup. I cannot agree or disagree as I have not driven another 5th gen with upgraded suspension, only other stock vehicles.
Old 03-06-2006, 04:29 PM

Jason,
I noticed your sig says that you got Konis. Did you have them installed before illuminas, or they are waiting to be installed?
No Konis I was just trying to confuse people.
Old 03-06-2006, 11:05 PM
I C U

Originally Posted by Progress
Cincinnati has butt sauce roads and H-techs with Illuminas are handling pretty well. There is less travel in the suspension, naturally, so there will be more body movement but it isn't that noticeable.
Thanks.. same to you Cutter. I guess I better add a hundred more and get some Illuminas. TO tell you the truth, I dont see myself constantly adjusting the settings, which is why I was looking into the Blues. We'll we'll see.
Old 03-10-2006, 05:23 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

1. Cattman/progress gen 3 coilovers monotube with electroless nickel plating and custom valved struts, almost everything is made of T6 aluminum for weight savings, complete urethane/metal upper mounts...originally track tested on cheston's old maxima on road racing circuits in order to perfect them to what road racers would want out of it according to progress/cattman, apparently a lot of track time was acquired testing these over and over until cheston and progress/cattman was happy with what he and other drivers had to say about them and their over all behavior! 450/350 spring rates, soon I'm going to change to 12/8 or 12/9kg I think though and have the struts revalved...they also feature shortened strut bodies to keep good travel under any ride height setting for optimal handling (something very rare apparently after calling a lot of other companies before I decided on the cattman/progress CO's to find out if they featured it...)...they also come with shortened urethane bump stops...

stillen rear sway bar adjusted to full stiff, stillen rstb, fstb, and matt blehm stage 2 LTB, energy suspension subframe bushings, lca bushings, rear trailing arm bushings, rear beam bent/boxed for zero toe setting, I run 2 psi higher in the rear than the front, but enough in the front to prevent rollover as well...soon custom subframe connectors...1.75 neg deg camber and 1/16" toe out, moving to 1/8" soon I think though and perhaps 2 neg camber

2. a few road racing schools, probably almost a dozen autoX's, and a few open track days to boot...

3. have never bottomed out...

4. driven around town, nearly silent, no nasty sounds that come from worn pillow ball mounts...where I live, the streets are horrible and kept in terrible condition, so certain streets can be a painful experience for my internal organs at times, but I quickly got used to it and hardly notice it now...and as with any CO's, there are always gonna be some extra sounds when you get coilovers and trade rubber, soft components for metal on metal connections...
they were way to rough in fact for a little while until I got cornerweighted...

5. to me the maxima can never grip enough for me...tackling understeer is a real issue (due to be such a front heavy car and FF platform of course), but I am on a quest for weight reduction and taking weight from front and putting in to the back for bettery distribution which should help with understeer a lot, also, even with trail braking, I find that there is still too much push....granted part of my decision to get the progress/cattman over the other brands was from comparing the dynamic comparative difference between spring rates and their inherent effect on balance (ie. oversteer/understeer) and the cattman's have a higher rear to front rate ratio which would translate into more oversteer and hence more rotation...the real handling upgrade came from getting some aggressive alignment specs dialed in and cornerweighting done...

6. haven't done much high speed driving...well I don't know what your definition of high speed is...but stability is always gonna be a little less with more neg camber and toe out in the front along with less toe in at the rear...but it's all in who smooth you are at high speeds then I guess...

7. after cornerweighting and new street tires, ride is very pleasant, my family members don't approve of course, but my friends have equally if not harsher suspension so they don't mind and actually think it's very comfortable as do I after a few months...almost feels soft to me...lol...in either case, it's all in the tuning, if you dial in/tune the coilovers just right, I have rode in cars with 12kg or more spring rates and they are more than comfortable!

8. low speeds turns are gonna result in understeer purely dependant on my tire pressures and if they are warm or not at the time, but I can get it to rotate quite nicely if trail braked a suffiecient amount....at medium speed turns, it handles amazing!, and at high speed turns, the car begins to show it's large wheelbase (meaning good stability), but high weight which results in a slip angle often slightly greater than desired...

9. and s turn or slalom is all about finese....in order to get the maxima to make it at high speed, you will have to keep some weight on the front tires and off the rear to get it to turn properly, meaning be light on the gas of course, but overall stability is outstanding through s turns and wouldn't change how it behaves one bit....very predictable!

10. In my opinion, very much so...but then again I think all FF's are...it's the MR's...that can be tricky in my opinion...!

11. I dunno...consult cheston chui or brian catts or the good people over at progress suspension if you want another opinion or want to know more...and yeah, and these CO's are slightly more expensive than the tein, jic's flta1, and k sport/d2's....but I think they are well worth it and haved easily paid for themselves in performance which is 2nd to none and the piece of mind that these were actually tested on an actual maxima on an actual track by very experienced people before being put out on the market...and that the company is located in california near me so I can always have them rebuilt or revalved very easily/quickly...
Old 03-10-2006, 07:22 PM
Engineer/Inventor/Maximanian

Quote:

1 KYB GR-2s, H&R springs, Addco RSB, FSTB, stock bushings & Bump stops.

2 High performance driving course in my 20s, some autocross and drag racing, 25 years behind the wheel.

3 Terrible roads here in NJ, have occasionally bottomed out in extra deep potholes. Otherwise the combo seem stiff enough to minimize bottoming.

4 I found that as miles piled up on the OE suspension that the shocks seemed to have a "stiction" problem. The spring/shock combo solved this problem, but I find that the modded suspension bounces uncomfortably for some passengers.

5 Much less body roll than stock, but it had this once I mounted the RSB. Cornering is more stable but I detect a bit of axle tramp if I hit bumps midcorner. Turn-in is improved.

6 High speed stability and driving is good, but even with the modded suspension I am overall disappointed with the handling of the Max. My prior car was a Ford Contour SVT, a front driver that was still faster than the Max in a straight line and stock handled MUCH better than my modded Max.

7 Ride quality is poor, even though I prefer the connectedness and road feel, I get way too much head toss on poor NJ roads.

Quote:

8 Constant radius turns at low medium and high speeds, are predictable as long as they are not too bumpy. bumps do throw off the line a bit so that I can feel it.

9 Much less body roll, changes in direction are more planted and controllable, but I wouldn't want to try really high speeds as breakaway may not be as predictable.

10 Yes, but I prefer being able to induce oversteer to tighten lines in corners, even with mods I just can't get this car to go sideways, it too much likes to understeer.

11 In am running stock wheels w/ Michelin Pilot A/Ss, nice performing tires.

Since it looks like I may be coming into some $$ through one of my inventions, I am thinking it may be time for some new wheels, perhaps an Audi S4? Stay tuned....
Old 03-12-2006, 07:38 AM

1 List all your suspension mods and settings (springs, shocks, bracing, bushings, sway bars, cut bump stops etc).

Tien S. Street coilovers/W EDFC, progressive RSB, (will be upgrading to poly front suspension bushings and, currently waiting for the cattman FSB to come into stock)

2 Your driving skills and experience?

I am a street driver only, for now. Over 10 years behind the wheel. With only 3 speeding tickets (Lifetime, and its not because I drive slow) and one total lost in an accident (I was not at fault)

3 How often you bottom out and at what conditions?

I have not bottomed out my ride yet, but I my consider it for special occasions.

4 How your car feels when driven around town?

I love the feel. With the EDFC at first you may not notice the difference between the soft and hard dampering settings, but after a time driving the car you will notice a big difference. Especially after you hit a bump . The only thing about lowering you car is driving around the city pothole infested streets SUCK ***!!!

5 Impressions on curvy roads.

I have notice a great difference with the after installing the RSB. I now feel a lot comfortable taking turns at 40 to 60mph.

6 High speed driving and high speed stability?

I know longer have that nausea feel when driving my car. I hate driving in a car with a Cadillac suspension at fast speeds. It makes me sick to my stomach. Yes I feel better handling at higher speeds, but remember the tighter the suspense the more responsive it is also. One twitch of the steering wheel and you could go flying the wrong way.

7 Ride quality (how would your family member describe it)?

I am not sure!

Assuming your referring to a ramp onto a merging lane. This is always a piece of cake (Depending on the drive). With a low center of gravity (thanks to the coilovers) and the RSB, I have notice taking these turns are a piece of cake now. I leave more people on the ramps that don’t have their suspensions tone in such a way.

9 Behavior when going through an S turn or when doing emergency lane change at low, medium and high speed?

The tighter the suspension the better response you will get from the wheels (Depending on driver response too). The driver has more control when you make these last min lane changes. I have notice on difference in response in lane changing from low, medium, and high speeds (It all depends on the drivers, driving style).

The more I do to my car the more predictable it looks. I try not to disappoint people either.

11 Additional information that you feel is important.

PLEASE REMEMBER TO TRANSFER YOUR OLD (or get new ones) STRUT BARINGS TO YOUR NEW FRONT SUSPENSION SETUP.
Old 03-12-2006, 09:42 AM

Ok why is this not a sticky yet??? J/K Well I think this should be very usefull and very interesting.
Old 03-12-2006, 11:16 AM

Blue H-techs on Tokico Illuminas (front and rear set at 4) front bumpstops cut 1 inch.

aggressive driver for 17 years.

a few bumps on the highway, I have finally remembered where they are, and have started using the other lane.

feels good, not a bumpy ride at all, I wasn't sure what to expect, but I'm very happy with the ride

This is where it gets fun, feels good and tight, no rollover like the OEM suspension felt, can take curves like I want now

this is what I do and I am very confident in my car and its handling

my sister is the only to ride with me, and she didn't say anything, what do you expect.... she's a typical woman

I guess the only turn I can think of is coming off or getting on an on ramp that is the circular type, and my max handles this excellent, I can go alot faster with my new suspension

havn't gone through any s turns yet

very much so

I'll be addng an otto FSTB as soon as I can, I know this should have been the first thing done to my max. And I'm sure I'll be even happier with my handling
Old 03-12-2006, 05:45 PM
CAN YOU PUT IT ON THE WALL?

tokico illuminas, bump stops cut 1/2", vogtland sport springs, otto stb, progress rsb
proficient performance driver able to get near maximum potential out of a vehicle; enthusiast with some track experience 17yrs behind the wheel
only over severe dips with passengers in the rear (not frequent) 3 times in 3yrs
firm responsive and planted when struts are set at 4f/5r or 3f/4r; floaty at anything less...and the suspension bangs over expansion joints or recessed manhole covers at the softer settings. my wife and mother don't seem to complain at the firm settings
i hang with/pull on a mugen tuned 03 honda civic si and a highly skilled driver in the twistys. this may not sound like much, but the civic corners like a monster and even with the weight difference and hp difference, it can severly whoop on a stock 02-03 max.
not that it's recommended but it handles at 140 like it does at 70mph...planted and confident
my mother doesn't mind it/notice any difference from stock, but the wifey does...she compares it to my old 00 max with really no suspension mods and auto trans(heavier). it is acceptable but not to her liking...she prefers the 1984 cadillac brougham on original suspension circa 1984!

the car leans over a little but settles in and becomes very planted and predictable at all speeds. at high speed it has a slight hint of oversteer when you load the front corners, but sets up the through turn acceleration very well. I do notice that there is a lot of weight transfer to the rear comming out of the corner.
at low and medium speed, the car is very flat and transitions smoothly, at high speed, it flops a bit but still feels very confident and stable.
my max feels very predictable and gives me confidence in almost all situations and road types...i would rate it as an 8 on scale of 10.
with this setup i notice a lot of weight transfer to the rear and the nose comes up quite a bit on hard acceleration. the only improvement i am still looking for is the next step in ride/feel of the suspension. i have gotten close to what i want, but not the bavarian motor works feel i crave...that next step...like a bilstien suspension that isn't made for us at this point! maybe trying boss chens will be the missing link?

See later post for info on Boss Chens...They are on the car and I found what I was lookin for!
Old 03-13-2006, 01:55 AM
Go BUCKS!!!

Originally Posted by thread
Tokico HP (Blues) Struts / Maxspeed Springs / Progress RSB / Ebay FSTB
The Tokico's were purchased unused off another .Org member currently @ 8 months & ~ 10k miles
The Springs had about 15k miles when I installed them. Currently ~ 65k miles

I've been legally driving since I was 15 years old. I worked as a car sales consultant for over 3.5 years, having driven 100's of different cars, trucks, vans, & SUV's in that time. I have owned a number of performance cars (F-Bodies mainly) as well as older cars (70's-80's) and quite a few sedans. I have also ridden motorcycles since I was around 15 years old as well, including dirtbikes, 4 wheelers, sportbikes, cruisers (including Harley Davidsons).

I have only bottomed out a few times while driving over speed bumps

My car feels a bit loose at times and it feels as if I can feel nearly every bump in the road during city driving

Predictable & mildly unstable at the same time

Still seems a bit soft over transitions

People who ride in my car comment when the car goes over rough patches in the roads and on bumps on the freeway

Yes

I am currently not pleased with the comfort factor of my suspension setup and am researching other available options for a lowered and comfortable ride.

This thread is a great tool for those attempting to do this very thing - Good job
Old 03-21-2006, 07:00 PM

Tokiko Illumina struts (set to 3F/4R) and Tein H-tech springs, BlehmCo Stage II LTB, Progress RSB, Ebay FSTB, H&R 20mm rear wheel spacers, cut bumpstops ~1 in.

Fairly little; I've only had two cars in the past (a 2002 honda civic LX and a 1994 acura integra); driving experiance is just on twisty roads and empty parking lots; no track time

The only time i've bottomed out so far was when there were 3 people in my back seat (2 of them over 200 lbs.)

Very close to stock; before i got my LTB, some of the harsher bumps on the road were somewhat jarring, but after my LTB, the bumps are less noticable than when i had my stock suspension

AMAZING!! Almost no body roll; the car is completely neutral whereas before i got the RSB, LTB, and wheel spacers, i had quite a bit of oversteer

Excellent...i've never taken it past ~105 so i don't know how it would feel up there, but over 100 it feels like i'm going 70...

You can feel more of the road imperfections than when it was stock, and the car isn't as floaty...it doesn't bob up and down after big bumps like it used to

8 Behavior when going through a constant radius single apex corner (turn
in/mid corner/ exit) at low, medium and high speed.

all i can say is very controlled....never have i once had to doubt my car in any maneuvers

Again, very controlled; very quick turn in (mostly due to the LTB) and very little body sway (unlike when the car was stock); the tires grip the road very well and i have never had them come out from under me with my new suspension setup

Certainly; the car is very neutral; point it where you want to go and that's exactly what will happen...

I have Falken 512 tires (size 225/50/17) which are said to have very soft sidewalls...in my experiance with them, they are excellent...in high speed cornering and s-turns, the tires react instantly with little to no delay upon turnin....
Old 03-25-2006, 10:02 AM

Shurik's set up!

Answer: I'm running on front H-techs and H&Rs in the rear with Tokiko Blues all around. The bump stops were cut all around, 1 in the front & 1 in the back. No sway bars so far.

Answer: My driving skills are fairly good, and the experience with this set up is 100% satisfied compare to the Eibach set up I had.

Answer: Don't realy bottom out!

Answer: The car feels pretty good, I love the set up I have. The roads here suck big time, and still the ride quality is awsome. I think it's very close to stock quality, but handles and looks much better.

Answer: Handles pretty good I think. I take a couple hard turns everyday and no drama at all. I'm not realy sure how my set up will handle with hard continuum corners like an autocross.

Answer: Didn't do high speed driving yet with this set up.

Answer: "Much better then Eibach". I think it's great.

Answer: not sure.

Answer: now sure.

Answer: I think it is!!

Answer: I this this set up is the best in its ride quality with it's looks. Recommended!!!

Here's the link to my thread about this set up.
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=461385
Old 03-30-2006, 05:14 PM
Z

--H&R Springs w/ OEM Tokicos @ front.
--Maxspeed Springs w/ Tokico HP Blues @ rear.
--Bumpstops uncut

--Pretty good. I've driven dozens of different cars and own two: Maxima and FX35. I often drive my brother's Lexus SC430 and my uncle's G35x. I'd like to think I'm a pretty darn good driver, altogether.

--With this new setup, haven't bottomed out once. Used to bottom out all the time with Maxspeeds & HP Blues all around.

--So damn solid and tight. I love it.

--A lot tighter than its ever felt before. I expect to feel flex under certain conditions, because I'm so used to my previous suspension, but it just isn't there -- not unless I push the limits more.

--Superb. No complaints. The car is very poised on roads.

--People have stopped complaining about it once I put OEM struts up front. It's softer than the FX35 and yet almost as tight. =)

--At low and medium speeds the body won't roll. At higher speeds (above the posted limit sign for a specific exit) you'll begin to feel it. If the sign says 30MPH for the loop, and I go 40 -- it's pretty decent. But going any faster than that would feel dangerous.

--Terrific. Absolutely terrific for all of the above. This was one of my biggest pet peeves with my Maxspeed setup, but no more with the H&Rs up front.

--Yes. I feel in control at all times.

--Please view this thread: http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=464289

Quick Reply: Need a favor from EVERYONE with lowering springs