5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Dyno tune after header install

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 04:48 PM

Dyno tune after header install

I just installed the Hotshot headers on my 02. I've read here that the ECU adjusts to them over the next week or so producing more power.

I already have the SAFC2 wired in and tuned for my intake, Y-pipe, and B-pipe.

My question is, should I wait a week or two before dyno tuning or can I do it sooner?

BTW, I'll be selling my Warpspeed Y-pipe (less than a year old) if anyone is interrested.
Old 01-12-2006, 04:59 PM

yeah i would wait a week that way your ecu has time to learn and adjust itself to your new setup. good job how about some pics when you have time
Old 01-12-2006, 05:27 PM

Thanks, the install went pretty smoothly. I installed a new Fidanza flywheel and stage 3 clutch while I was at it. It was a lot of work for one day with just jackstands and hand tools but it was worth it.

I'll take some pics later and do a post later. I have access to a lift at the dealership where I sell cars. While I can't work on my car there, I can lift it for some quick pics. I'll do it Sunday when I'm working but the shop is closed.

I will say that the fit is great. They went in with no modification and there is no rubbing or anything. They aren't in the way of the oil drain plug either.
Old 01-12-2006, 05:30 PM
Play with my balls

How's your new clutch and flywheel? What are the differences between the new setup and stock that you have noticed? Nice work on some major modding.
Old 01-12-2006, 05:33 PM

might be interested in y-pipe. How much for it/will it work with cali spec 2k?
Old 01-12-2006, 06:06 PM

i should really know this but let me ask anyway....for example ive got some typical bolt ons, intake/y pipe/catback, what could i gain from getting the asfc2? as i understand it can adjust the a/f ratio, inturn making for more optimal engine operation/getting most from ur mods? is that basically it? and what kind of actual gains (number wise) will people get using the asfc2?
Old 01-12-2006, 06:10 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by super6
i should really know this but let me ask anyway....for example ive got some typical bolt ons, intake/y pipe/catback, what could i gain from getting the asfc2? as i understand it can adjust the a/f ratio, inturn making for more optimal engine operation/getting most from ur mods? is that basically it? and what kind of actual gains (number wise) will people get using the asfc2?
Btw, its a "Super-AFC II" from Apexi or S-AFC II for short... the gains, if any, for you will depend on what your current AFR looks like now. It will not be the same from car to car. The only way to tell is to get a dyno and see how the curves look.
Old 01-12-2006, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Deckdout2
How's your new clutch and flywheel? What are the differences between the new setup and stock that you have noticed? Nice work on some major modding.

Interested in knowing more about the clutch and flywheel too....
Old 01-12-2006, 06:57 PM
Blu
the tits

install headers and dyno the same day. All the mumbo jumbo about the ECU needing to adjust is garbage.

/thread
Old 01-12-2006, 07:14 PM
Play with my balls

Originally Posted by super6
Puppet is correct with it depending upon each individual car, so your gains/settings will be different than everyone else's. I've just installed my VAFC II and my parameters are all set to zero. I'm awaiting a chance to jump on the dyno and tune, hopefully in the next week or so. I will do a baseline dyno with my hacked airbox and Cattman Catback, and then do a tune dyno and examine my gains at that time.
Old 01-12-2006, 08:38 PM

The clutch and flywheel are great. There is a back story as some here may know.

I first installed the Fidanza flywheel and Clutchmaster stage 3 a couple months ago. I was geting a horible grinding when starting the car and a bad vibration at idle or reving it in neutral.

I pulled it back out and reinstalled the stock flywheel and pressure plate with just the new disk. I measured the ring gear against the stock flywheel and found the Fidanza was about half a centimeter smaller. The starter gear was only making contact by about a milimeter. That was causing it to knock chunks of the ring gear off. The bell housing was full of metal shavings.

After some discussion with Fidanza I sent it back and they installed a proper size ring gear. They said the vibration was probobly the clutch and offered to balance it for free even though it wasn't their product. It came back with several holes drilled to remove material to balance it.

After the first installation there was a good bit of chatter but that's natural for a kevlar disk till it breaks in. When I reinstalled the stock pieces with the same kevlar disk the chatter was still there. I drove it for a few months waiting for the headers to come so I could do it all together.
During that time the chatter slowly got better but was still very noticeable.

Now with the new pieces back in the chatter is gone. I think part of the chatter was from the stock dual mass flywheel and the sprung clutch disk both moving. Now that I have a solid flywheel everything seems smooth. The peddle pressure a bit stiffer than I like but that's a matter of preference. It seems to be working fine.

Sorry for the long reply but I've had a lot of drama with a simple clutch job. The moral is, with aftermarket pieces always measure before instaling and balance anything that spins. Three clutch jobs on jackstands with hand tools was two too many.

I do have to add that Fidanza proved to be a stand up company by fixing their mistake and even correcting the mistake of another company. Wayne was always there when I called and got back to me when he said he would.
Old 01-12-2006, 08:54 PM

ive heard many aftermarket clutch stories, i know ill need to replace mine w/in next year likely and i was going to go with an aftermarket clutch/flywheel, but with all these stories ill be safe and go stock, cant imagine doing such a big job more than once.
Old 01-12-2006, 08:57 PM

Oh yeah, the S-AFC2.

I wired it in a while back not expecting to gain much with only the intake/exhaust. I knew headers were in the future and I would probobly need it so I did it. I was very impressed with the gains.

This dyno is before the headers. At the time the car had PR CAI, Warpapeed Y and B pipe and 17 degree timing advance. As you can see the car was running very rich. Especially in the higher RPM range.

As puppetmaster said, some cars need AFR tuning after being modded and some don't. Mine is probobly a more extreme case because I haven't heard of others having these kind of results from tuning. Especially with so few mods. I can't wait to have it done again with the headers on.
Old 01-12-2006, 09:09 PM

Nice improvement after tuning, and no, you're not the only one.

MadMaxNH gained about 14 whp as well from tuning and I think he just had intake, cat-back, and UDP, if I recall correctly:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=409180

Can't wait to see the header dynos...
Old 01-12-2006, 09:11 PM

Btw, thanks for the clutch/flywheel comments, that's something that I'll be looking into come the spring/summer, so I might hit ya up with more questions about the flywheel then. Thanks.
Old 01-12-2006, 09:14 PM

No problem, whatever I can do to help. Just let me know.
Old 01-13-2006, 06:34 AM
Play with my balls

I'm glad you've got the problems corrected. How about drivability? What are some of the differences in driving with stock vs with this setup? I'm sure your revs are as fast as well as they drop. Do you think you've gained anything from this setup? What were some of your conclusions in your research for going with the Fidanza and Clutchmasters? Sorry for the 20 questions, I'm doing some experienced comparison research for myself against other drivers with different setups.
Old 01-13-2006, 07:01 AM

I'm glad you've got the problems corrected. How about drivability? What are some of the differences in driving with stock vs with this setup? I'm sure your revs are as fast as well as they drop. Do you think you've gained anything from this setup?
I wonder if any of the possible "gains" from the lighter flywheel will show up on the dyno. The weight reduction going from the OEM 32 lbs to the 13 lbs of the Fidanza is pretty significant. That's over 50% less weight, so I'm guessing revs drop extremely quickly.

Old 01-13-2006, 10:49 AM

I'm glad you've got the problems corrected. How about drivability? What are some of the differences in driving with stock vs with this setup? I'm sure your revs are as fast as well as they drop. Do you think you've gained anything from this setup? What were some of your conclusions in your research for going with the Fidanza and Clutchmasters? Sorry for the 20 questions, I'm doing some experienced comparison research for myself against other drivers with different setups.
The driveability is fine. I'm getting used to the heavier peddle feel. I chose the Fidanza because the price was right. Also I'd heard some negatives about some of the other manufacturers. I like the fact it can be resurfaced and the friction plate can be replaced. I would call Wayne before ordering to make sure they are using the right ring gear now.

The Clutchmaster stage 3 is fine now that it is balanced. I probobly wouldn't go with them again though. A stage 1 or 2 would have been fine.

I upgraded because the stock unit started slipping at the track with drag radials. That was with 90K on it.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
I wonder if any of the possible "gains" from the lighter flywheel will show up on the dyno. The weight reduction going from the OEM 32 lbs to the 13 lbs of the Fidanza is pretty significant. That's over 50% less weight, so I'm guessing revs drop extremely quickly.

The flywheel weighed in at around 15 pounds on my digital scale. Stock was around 32. It revs up a lot faster but I haven't noticed it dropping any faster. I'll check it out later. I believe the computer controls how fast the revs drop.

The gains will be impossible to show since the headers went on at the same time.
Old 01-13-2006, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Derrick2k2SE
The gains will be impossible to show since the headers went on at the same time.
I would still be happy to see headers+flywheel hp gains.
Old 01-13-2006, 11:44 AM
Play with my balls

I would still be happy to see headers+flywheel hp gains.
Kazillion
Old 01-13-2006, 01:03 PM

I just made an appt to dyno tune on Tuesday. Same place that did the last one so the #s should be accurate to compare. I'll post the results Tuesday night in a new thread.
Old 01-13-2006, 01:16 PM

I just made an appt to dyno tune on Tuesday. Same place that did the last one so the #s should be accurate to compare. I'll post the results Tuesday night in a new thread.
I'm sure you already know this, but make sure you get the run files... and if ya don't mind, I'd love to get a copy of the files too.
Old 01-13-2006, 01:19 PM
Play with my balls

I'm sure you already know this, but make sure you get the run files... and if ya don't mind, I'd love to get a copy of the files too.
He demands alot doesn't he, Derrick?
Old 01-13-2006, 01:23 PM

He demands alot doesn't he, Derrick?
I'm just taking an interest in what the man is doing dammit....
Old 01-13-2006, 01:26 PM
Play with my balls

I'm just taking an interest in what the man is doing dammit....
Let's be honest, the interest is for our own benefit also.
Old 01-13-2006, 01:30 PM

Let's be honest, the interest is for our own benefit also.
What else would it be for? I thought that was already pretty obvious implication...
Old 01-13-2006, 01:36 PM

Last time I didn't get the files. I didn't know.
Do you need some software to view them? I don't know much about it.

Sharing this stuff is the least I can do. Most of the research for my mods has come from the Org. Plus it's fun. Why modify cars if not to show them off and talk about them. It's not like the extra power is going to get me to work any faster.
Old 01-13-2006, 01:40 PM

Last time I didn't get the files. I didn't know.
Do you need some software to view them? I don't know much about it.
You can get it for free here:

http://www.dynojet.com/downloads/software.php

I guess you can either bring a flash/floppy or just have em email you the run files. Since you're paying for the runs, I'm sure they have to let you get the files somehow.

Sharing this stuff is the least I can do. Most of the research for my mods has come from the Org. Plus it's fun. Why modify cars if not to show them off and talk about them. It's not like the extra power is going to get me to work any faster.
and we greatly appreciate that.
Old 02-14-2007, 07:33 PM
The original VQ...

Im sorry if I missed it, but what did you do with your 02 sensors?
Old 02-14-2007, 07:58 PM

I made a small bracket and mounted them out of sight near the intake manifold. I used an o2 simulator to avoid the check engine light.
Old 02-15-2007, 06:04 AM
is invisible

Nice improvement after tuning, and no, you're not the only one.

MadMaxNH gained about 14 whp as well from tuning and I think he just had intake, cat-back, and UDP, if I recall correctly:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=409180

Can't wait to see the header dynos...
this might help too...
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=391741
Old 02-15-2007, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by maxspeed96CT
Im sorry if I missed it, but what did you do with your 02 sensors?
This is where my secondaries are:

I have an O2 sim as well...
Old 02-15-2007, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by CoolMax
Thanks. I've just been sending people here these days:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=484202