5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

THE YELLOW BULB vs LEXUS CAPSULE OFFICIAL COMPARISON...head-to-head!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 06:52 PM
retired moderator

THE YELLOW BULB vs LEXUS CAPSULE OFFICIAL COMPARISON...head-to-head!!

The ultimate yellow bulb thread. The definitive head-to-head test. This is what you've all been waiting for, boys and girls!

The test: can any bulb match up against the "Lexus Yellow" capsules in brighness or "yellowness" ? If not, which is the "yellowest"?

The participants:
Me (irish44j) - black Max with rack: HIDTech "Lexus Yellow" 9006 capsules with OEM H3 bulbs
Joel (puppetmaster) - Blue Maxima: RedlineMax Halo Super Yellow H3
Tim (icelandmaxima) - White Maxima: Luminics "JDM Yellow" H3

First, the highlights of the hour we spent in a huge empty parking lot at George Mason University:

1. a silver Viper hauled *** through the lot at about 50mph for no apparent reason other than to "impress the dudes taking pics of their maximas with yellow lights"
2. some dude in a beater old camry was running his own autocross in an adjoining lot. No idea what he was doing, but he was burnin' up some tires (wtf?)

Now, a few notes about the test:

I've also used the Narva Gold, PIAA Crystal Ion, and Lamin-x yellow film. NONE of those three are as "yellow" as the three in this test....I can tell you from experience. I have also seen the Nokya Hyper yellow in person, which is similar in color to the Narva Gold (just a bit less yellow than the Luminics or RedlineMax bulbs)....

The "NO SURPRISE" - Neither bulb even comes close to the HIDTech "Lexus yellow" capsules using OEM H3 bulbs, in either yellow color or brightness

The "SURPRISE" - The RedlineMax Halo Super Yellow H3 and Luminics "JDM" Yellow H3 are virtually identical in color and brightness. From certain angles, one may look "yellower" than the others, but we considered it "a draw" between them in terms of color. Both of these bulbs would be better described as "Gold" more than "yellow"....similar to the Narva Gold in color, with a little more yellow

NOTE: I spoke to Corey from RedlineMax, and he told me that the Halo bulbs have a LIFETIME warranty, so if one burns out you send em back and get new ones for FREE. I'm not sure what Luminics warranty is. If a Luminics rep would like to come on and let us know, that would be really helpful! I'm quite sure the Lexus capsules don't have a warranty...nor do my OEM H3 bulbs!

NOTE: In the Luminics-specific thread, there are some photos that make them look "really yellow.." Joel, Tim, and me all feel that those pics are NOT accurate and do not show the TRUE color of these bulbs. This thread does. These pics are more or less definitive. We all took about 50 pics of the lights (or more) and these are the ones I picked off my camera as the best rendition of what they look like "in person".

NOTE: Tim's car has 6000K HID headlights and my and Joel's car have stock HIDs...so don't get fooled by the contrast. His look a bit yellower because his headlights are BLUER. In reality they were essentially identical to the Halos from the front.

NOTE: the most "telling" shots are the reflections off the ground. The direct shots at the lights are "less" accurate to color.

NOTE: I'm sure Joel and Tim will post their pics as well....the "no flash" pics, by the way, DO NOT accurately show the color because the camera shutter speed is slower and makes all of the lights look "very yellow" (like the first one in the Luminics thread).

ONE LAST NOTE (again): These photos are not photoshopped or altered AT ALL. We played with a ton of camera setting for the hour we were out there in an effort to find one that most accurately represented reality....these photos are the most accurate of the various settings used on MY camera.

BOTTOM LINE: They ALL looked damn good, I think. I prefer the "more yellow" myself, but would definitely roll with either the Halos or the Luminics if some genius hadn't invented the HIDTech capsules! The two bulbs looked especially good next to Tim's 6000K HIDs, where the blue tinge gave more of a contrast. For most yellow, the capsules rule - but the downside is that you have to tear your fog lights apart to install them. As of now, we know the Halos have a lifetime warranty (which is a good thing for bulbs!). We don't yet know about the Luminics, so I can't comment one way or the other on that aspect.....

So, without further ado....

Old 01-09-2006, 06:53 PM
retired moderator

Old 01-09-2006, 06:58 PM
Need A Light?

LOl...i love your comentary josh...this is a GREAT thread and should be sticky'd...

mods agree?
Old 01-09-2006, 07:10 PM
Mass_Media™

Originally Posted by steven88
LOl...i love your comentary josh...this is a GREAT thread and should be sticky'd...

mods agree?

Sticky....this is a great thread....will read again!
Old 01-09-2006, 07:12 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Some of my pics... much more where these came from....

From left: Capsules, Luminics, RedlineMax Halos:

Old 01-09-2006, 07:15 PM
Mass_Media™

in puppetmaster's pic the lexus capsuls look alot better

but in irish they all look close to the same color
Old 01-09-2006, 07:17 PM
Need A Light?

Originally Posted by Mass_Media
in puppetmaster's pic the lexus capsuls look alot better

but in irish they all look close to the same color
Not IMO...Irish's pictures look better than Puppet's....and u can clearly see the difference of the 3 bulbs in either one of Irish's or Puppet's pictures
Old 01-09-2006, 07:21 PM

Not IMO...Irish's pictures look better than Puppet's....and u can clearly see the difference of the 3 bulbs in either one of Irish's or Puppet's pictures
The color is better in Irish's pictures....
Old 01-09-2006, 07:22 PM
Mass_Media™

I can tell there diff colors in irish's pics from the way they reflect off the pavement. In puppets I really can't tell a difference between redmax and luminics they look like a lighter shade of yellow than the lexus ones
Old 01-09-2006, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Mass_Media
I can tell there diff colors in irish's pics from the way they reflect off the pavement. In puppets I really can't tell a difference between redmax and luminics they look like a lighter shade of yellow than the lexus ones
They are actually pretty much identical, and both Josh and Tim would probably agree with me on that.

One thing that we did not cover was the aiming of the fogs. It seems that all our fogs are aimed differently.
Old 01-09-2006, 07:26 PM
It's business time.

I knew the capsule mod was a deeper yellow. Here's mine:

Old 01-09-2006, 07:27 PM
Mass_Media™

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
They are actually pretty much identical, and both Josh and Tim would probably agree with me on that.

One thing that we did not cover was the aiming of the fogs. It seems that all our fogs are aimed differently.
I believe you. Pics don't do them justice.
Old 01-09-2006, 07:29 PM

Luminics left, RedlineMax Halos right:

Note also that Tim has 6000k HIDs while mine are stock 4300k, so the contrast is greater in his set-up.
Old 01-09-2006, 07:37 PM

Some pictures of the RedlineMax Halos on their own with stock 4300k HIDs:

For prices and ordering information, please contact Corey (aka Redmax on the .Org) from Redlinemax.

http://redlinemax.com/catalog/
Old 01-09-2006, 07:45 PM
retired moderator

I hope we didn't confuse anyone....we moved the cars around a few times to get the different bulbs next to each other.....

one additional note from me - you may notice more glare from my car compared to the other two...that is because I don't have the glare shields on the lights (I am going to put them back on at some point), while the other guys do have the glare shields there....if you don't know what the shield is...it is the small metal piece that covers the bulb .
Old 01-09-2006, 07:52 PM
It's business time.

Originally Posted by irish44j
I hope we didn't confuse anyone....we moved the cars around a few times to get the different bulbs next to each other.....

one additional note from me - you may notice more glare from my car compared to the other two...that is because I don't have the glare shields on the lights (I am going to put them back on at some point), while the other guys do have the glare shields there....if you don't know what the shield is...it is the small metal piece that covers the bulb .
I was wondering about that. How do you put the glare shield on the bulb if the yellow capsule is on it?
Old 01-09-2006, 07:57 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by Progress
I was wondering about that. How do you put the glare shield on the bulb if the yellow capsule is on it?
one of the guys did it...it required cutting part of the shield out with a dremel, leaving only the "cap" part, but not the sides...

I'll do it eventually, but it's not high on my list of priorities. 55w bulbs can't create THAT much glare anyhow...I've never been flashed by oncoming traffic
Old 01-09-2006, 07:57 PM

Irish u show off LOl
Old 01-09-2006, 08:07 PM

Great thread. Like everyone is saying, If you dont want to drill and put in the effort then these bulbs would be the next best option.

But is there anyway anyone who has done the capsules would be willing to do these for others?
Old 01-09-2006, 08:09 PM
I Broke OT

wow, definitely a very informative thread! i agree it should be added to stickies so it won't get lost. i'm probably gonna do the capsule mod this spring. it doesn't seem to be all that hard. but i'm confused on one thing, irish. why did you use 9006 capsules with the H3 bulbs? do they not have H3 capsules at HIDTech, or what? what is the best fit (for 4th gen?)
Old 01-09-2006, 08:17 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by 86maxima96
wow, definitely a very informative thread! i agree it should be added to stickies so it won't get lost. i'm probably gonna do the capsule mod this spring. it doesn't seem to be all that hard. but i'm confused on one thing, irish. why did you use 9006 capsules with the H3 bulbs? do they not have H3 capsules at HIDTech, or what? what is the best fit (for 4th gen?)
The guy who first did the capsules, Dr. Roy, suggested that everyone use the 9006 capsules instead of the H3s...the 9006 capsules are a little bit bigger and leave more space between the capsule and the bulb. IIRC some of the guys who used the H3 capsules have had them break due to too much heat....with the 9006 they have an "open" base on the capsule and more "breathing room" so to say.

I run mine whenever my headlights are on and have had no problems with breakage, nor has anyone else using the 9006 that I know of.

I am not sure, though, if the 9006 will fit in the 4th gen fog lights....might want to check with a 4th genner who's done it.

that reminds me...giving credit where it is due: Dr.Roy pioneered the "lexus yellow" mod for the fogs, IIRC and started this whole yellow fog light "craze"...so to him. He now has the capsules + HID yellow fogs...wish we had him here in NoVa to be at the comparison!
Old 01-09-2006, 08:48 PM

To further add to the confusion, I'm gonna throw one PIAA Ion Crystal fog back on and take some comparison pics later this week...

This is how the PIAA Ion Crystals looked on a separate occassion:

Old 01-09-2006, 08:50 PM

The ultimate yellow bulb thread. The definitive head-to-head test. This is what you've all been waiting for, boys and girls!

The test: can any bulb match up against the "Lexus Yellow" capsules in brighness or "yellowness" ? If not, which is the "yellowest"?

The participants:
Me (irish44j) - black Max with rack: HIDTech "Lexus Yellow" 9006 capsules with OEM H3 bulbs
Joel (puppetmaster) - Blue Maxima: RedlineMax Halo Super Yellow H3
Tim (icelandmaxima) - White Maxima: Luminics "JDM Yellow" H3

First, the highlights of the hour we spent in a huge empty parking lot at George Mason University:

1. a silver Viper hauled *** through the lot at about 50mph for no apparent reason other than to "impress the dudes taking pics of their maximas with yellow lights"
2. some dude in a beater old camry was running his own autocross in an adjoining lot. No idea what he was doing, but he was burnin' up some tires (wtf?)

Now, a few notes about the test:

I've also used the Narva Gold, PIAA Crystal Ion, and Lamin-x yellow film. NONE of those three are as "yellow" as the three in this test....I can tell you from experience. I have also seen the Nokya Hyper yellow in person, which is similar in color to the Narva Gold (just a bit less yellow than the Luminics or RedlineMax bulbs)....

The "NO SURPRISE" - Neither bulb even comes close to the HIDTech "Lexus yellow" capsules using OEM H3 bulbs, in either yellow color or brightness

The "SURPRISE" - The RedlineMax Halo Super Yellow H3 and Luminics "JDM" Yellow H3 are virtually identical in color and brightness. From certain angles, one may look "yellower" than the others, but we considered it "a draw" between them in terms of color. Both of these bulbs would be better described as "Gold" more than "yellow"....similar to the Narva Gold in color, with a little more yellow

NOTE: I spoke to Corey from RedlineMax, and he told me that the Halo bulbs have a LIFETIME warranty, so if one burns out you send em back and get new ones for FREE. I'm not sure what Luminics warranty is. If a Luminics rep would like to come on and let us know, that would be really helpful! I'm quite sure the Lexus capsules don't have a warranty...nor do my OEM H3 bulbs!

NOTE: In the Luminics-specific thread, there are some photos that make them look "really yellow.." Joel, Tim, and me all feel that those pics are NOT accurate and do not show the TRUE color of these bulbs. This thread does. These pics are more or less definitive. We all took about 50 pics of the lights (or more) and these are the ones I picked off my camera as the best rendition of what they look like "in person".

NOTE: Tim's car has 6000K HID headlights and my and Joel's car have stock HIDs...so don't get fooled by the contrast. His look a bit yellower because his headlights are BLUER. In reality they were essentially identical to the Halos from the front.

NOTE: the most "telling" shots are the reflections off the ground. The direct shots at the lights are "less" accurate to color.

NOTE: I'm sure Joel and Tim will post their pics as well....the "no flash" pics, by the way, DO NOT accurately show the color because the camera shutter speed is slower and makes all of the lights look "very yellow" (like the first one in the Luminics thread).

ONE LAST NOTE (again): These photos are not photoshopped or altered AT ALL. We played with a ton of camera setting for the hour we were out there in an effort to find one that most accurately represented reality....these photos are the most accurate of the various settings used on MY camera.

BOTTOM LINE: They ALL looked damn good, I think. I prefer the "more yellow" myself, but would definitely roll with either the Halos or the Luminics if some genius hadn't invented the HIDTech capsules! The two bulbs looked especially good next to Tim's 6000K HIDs, where the blue tinge gave more of a contrast. For most yellow, the capsules rule - but the downside is that you have to tear your fog lights apart to install them. As of now, we know the Halos have a lifetime warranty (which is a good thing for bulbs!). We don't yet know about the Luminics, so I can't comment one way or the other on that aspect.....

So, without further ado....

[IMG]http://mysite.verizon.net/vzep36ee/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/halovslexusvsluminics1.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://mysite.verizon.net/vzep36ee/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/halovslexusvsluminics2.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://mysite.verizon.net/vzep36ee/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/halovslexus1.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://mysite.verizon.net/vzep36ee/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/lexusvsluminics1.jpg[IMG]
You are still gay
Old 01-09-2006, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Cutler
You are still gay
So are you for quoting the whole damn first post... pictures and all...
Old 01-09-2006, 08:53 PM
Pointy Elbows

Wow, awesome thread Josh. I definatly need to do the HID tech mod in the spring.
Old 01-09-2006, 08:57 PM
Z

So are you for quoting the whole damn first post... pictures and all...
Seriously. Edit that sh*t out, man.
Old 01-09-2006, 09:00 PM

one of the guys did it...it required cutting part of the shield out with a dremel, leaving only the "cap" part, but not the sides...

I'll do it eventually, but it's not high on my list of priorities. 55w bulbs can't create THAT much glare anyhow...I've never been flashed by oncoming traffic
I Installed my yellow capsules from hidtech With the bulb shroud & did not have to cut the sides out. When you look at my fogs in daylight you would have no idea they even had the yellow capsules installed,they look completely stock.
Old 01-09-2006, 09:03 PM

Josh,
nice thread. i dont get much time for the org lately, but everytime i log on there is a new yellow foglight thread, this thread should cut down on them a bit.since i have had a few PMs asking, here is my contribution.this is how i mount the capsules, no drilling, jb weld or screws.
open up the foglight, unscrew the bulb shroud and cut the top portion off. remove the three metal legs from the yellow capsule and secure it in the foglight under the bulbshroud.

Old 01-09-2006, 09:25 PM

Here you go.

Originally Posted by Dr. Roy
Josh,
nice thread. i dont get much time for the org lately, but everytime i log on there is a new yellow foglight thread, this thread should cut down on them a bit.since i have had a few PMs asking, here is my contribution.this is how i mount the capsules, no drilling, jb weld or screws.
open up the foglight, unscrew the bulb shroud and cut the top portion off. remove the three metal legs from the yellow capsule and secure it in the foglight under the bulbshroud.

Well for any one looking to do this to there fogs I will share what I did. The photos/Ilustrations above are great but there is no need to cut off the sides of the bulb shroud itsself. After you bake the fogs to get the lens off. Unscrew the bulb shroud from the fog. When you look into the bulb shroud there is a metal flap inside, directly behind the the little reflector cap. Bend it up and down & back & fourth much like you would do to a paper clip & it will break off very cleanly. It is a pain in the azz but well worth it in the end . If you need some leverage use a pencil with an eraser to push up & down . When it has come off you simply put it over the Yellow capsule you have installed, screw it down & enjoy. The final product is clean & no one will be able to see the yellow capsule in the daylight.
Old 01-09-2006, 10:03 PM
I love lamp.

Alright, I'm not asking for my maxima, but my daily driver. Currently I run the PIAA Crystal Ion's. Oddly they show more yellow than seeing the same bulbs on a 5th gen. But I think that is mainly attributed to how the bulb is positioned totally different (bulb goes in thru the bottom of the assembly and sits at 30 degree angle). Anyway they do white out when you look at them headon....but against a wall the entire beam is yellow. Anyway I'll get to my point:

The Crystal Ion's give me back some of the usability of my foglights since I've installed HID's. I'm just running 4300k Philips D2R bulbs. When I initially turn on the lights, there is a distinct difference between the fog beam and the headlights...but as the lights heat up, that diminishes by a bit...but I can somewhat tell if I looked hard enough. My question, with these bulbs/capsules can you clearly distingish the fog lights from the headlights? How about light output, is it generally not so good anyway, or is it really good? Have any of you considered doing the 3000k HID kits...or better yet, has anyone installed them yet? I love my HID's, but there have been times that I wish the fogs were better to help supplement the headlights more (like downpouring rain or heavy fog).

S
Old 01-09-2006, 10:23 PM
Drug Money

Do the capsules actually decrease light intensity?
Old 01-09-2006, 10:51 PM

Great topic with great pictures!
One question that i would like the ask:
How do these bulbs perform in BAD weather? Rain, fog or snow?
DO they REALLY help in bad weather or my stock /or PIAA white/ provide the same results?

IN other words, other than the great visual appearance, am i going to gain any SIGNIFICANT visibility improvement in bad weather if i put "yellow" H3s?

Thanks!
Old 01-10-2006, 04:35 AM
Tha Snatcher

Do you guys have rewired fogs? ...Just came to mind, it might have been better to take pics w/ just the fogs on. If not, oh well. Just a thought.
Old 01-10-2006, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by Iron Scimitar
Do you guys have rewired fogs? ...Just came to mind, it might have been better to take pics w/ just the fogs on. If not, oh well. Just a thought.
None of us have re-wired fogs.
Old 01-10-2006, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by dansmax2003
IN other words, other than the great visual appearance, am i going to gain any SIGNIFICANT visibility improvement in bad weather if i put "yellow" H3s?
It depends on how your fogs are aimed and how bad the weather is, because these are still low wattage bulbs (55W). The color isn't really a factor either since it has been found that yellow/amber fogs do not make that big of a difference in inclement weather.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....ht=yellow+fogs

http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/...jsp?techid=132

What matters most is the beam intensity, height, and pattern. It should be low and wide or low and thin ("pencil" beam) for maximum effectiveness in fog.
Old 01-10-2006, 05:46 AM

i can see the diff but i think the lumincis would do the job
Old 01-10-2006, 06:42 AM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

just for comparision sakes, would the plastic fogs on the left (2k/2k1) play differently in the photo than the glass ones (2k2/2k3) on the right?
Old 01-10-2006, 07:07 AM

None of us have re-wired fogs.
I think the pics show the differences quite well. If you wanted to follow-up on Iron Scimitar's recommendation, you can just use some towels to cover up your headlights.

I am not sure, though, if the 9006 will fit in the 4th gen fog lights....might want to check with a 4th genner who's done it.
The 9006 yellow capsules indeed work with 4th Gen foglights. Just visit my How-To in my signature for more info.
Old 01-10-2006, 07:08 AM
Maxima Fanatic

There is no question that the capsule mod stll outshines the rest but the lumics are a decent upgrade. I'll also have some pics to add when I get a chance.
Old 01-10-2006, 12:22 PM
Redlinemax Owner

Thanks guys!! This thread is great!!!

Quick Reply: THE YELLOW BULB vs LEXUS CAPSULE OFFICIAL COMPARISON...head-to-head!!