1/4 and 1/8 Mile Racing Talk about track times, launch techniques, strategies, etc. Check out the "Timeslips" subforum for posted times.No discussion of street racing will be tolerated.

rear drag suspension

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2005, 04:23 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

rear drag suspension

Has anyone put some tall and insainly stiff springs in the back of their Max for drag use? Taller to shift more weight onto the front wheels and stiffer to stop the back end from squating when you launch and shift? I know Jime did a rig on the shock shaft with rubber donughts and hose clamps like extra tall bump stops. Any other ideas out their, I know I have a few tenths to pick up using this type of set up over my Eibachs and AGX.
Old 12-17-2005, 04:40 PM

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=441974

As in that thread I'd speculate that having the rear higher than the front puts more stress on the drive wheels, but I can't prove it. I know all the faster all motor civics running 11s-10s without wheelie bars seem to have a fairly jacked rear and slammed front.

Some SRT-4 can get 1.65-1.69 60 foots with only coilovers and slicks with similar power to you. 1.6 seems to be the limit for FWD cars without wheelie bars. I think your best is a 1.71, right? That's already really good.

I actually tried ratcheting straps on the front springs but they didn't really work. However, the day I tried those, I had brand 2 new tires up front vs. fairly worn ones the previous weekend so I'm still not sure what to make of it to this day.

I would also look into really wide wheels. If you're gonna run 10.5" slicks might as well go for a 15X10 weld wheel. Maximum contact patch.
Old 12-23-2005, 04:00 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

just slap in some high rate no name sleeve coilovers on the back. maybe 450 in/lb or more.
Old 12-23-2005, 05:03 PM

Matt I have progessed a little since then, this is what I used this year.

They are at full extension and do NOT compress (well maybe a little). Some dude down the street is looking for his boat trailer rollers though.

Not recommended for street use.

Old 12-23-2005, 06:56 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

those things will rattle out your fillings, what out!
Old 12-23-2005, 07:06 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Gotta love that! I'm not at that point just yet. I might do that once I get going a bit faster and I need a better suspension. But right now, I don't see my slicks breaking traction for quite some time. Probably not until I start seeing 12s.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:08 PM

I've said it before and I'll say it again; 60' = Tire size.

The only condition is power. And Mardi's car has a SH*Tload to spare. Whenever 2wd drag racers need more traction (provided the HP is there to handle it), they up the tire size.

Also, height > width

...at least from what I have read. Don't kill me.

So if hot 26X10.5 slicks on a wide wheel don't cut it, there's always 27x10.5.
Old 12-24-2005, 05:12 AM

I agree to a point but I don't think you have to go to that extent. I know guys who are running 10's on 24x8's. I'm sticking with my 22's.
Old 12-24-2005, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by Jime
Matt I have progessed a little since then, this is what I used this year.

They are at full extension and do NOT compress (well maybe a little). Some dude down the street is looking for his boat trailer rollers though.

Not recommended for street use.

thats a great idea! Thanks. Leme now look for a boat trailer on the street

Would you drive 10 miles to the track with those on?
Old 12-24-2005, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by MardiGrasMax
thats a great idea! Thanks. Leme now look for a boat trailer on the street

Would you drive 10 miles to the track with those on?
I don't think so, the return road is bad enough. I think I had to drill out the center a bit to fit over the shaft but the length was perfect.

My motor mounts are even stiffer, Flexane 94, haven't got the engine back in yet but I assume its going to vibrate a bit.
Old 12-24-2005, 08:42 AM
SLOW

I thought those boat rollers were what Jclaw did as well? That's what I was thinking he did to the rear springs this whole time anyways, and what I was planning on doing also when the time comes.
Old 12-24-2005, 12:53 PM

I agree to a point but I don't think you have to go to that extent. I know guys who are running 10's on 24x8's. I'm sticking with my 22's.
Of course power compensates after the launch. But what 60' are they pulling? 24-24.5 slicks they can't be pulling much better than 1.6's, right?
Old 12-24-2005, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Nealoc187
I thought those boat rollers were what Jclaw did as well? That's what I was thinking he did to the rear springs this whole time anyways, and what I was planning on doing also when the time comes.
No. I just had cheap 1"-2" rubber spacers. Little cubes.
Old 12-24-2005, 12:55 PM

I don't think so, the return road is bad enough. I think I had to drill out the center a bit to fit over the shaft but the length was perfect.
Even highway only?
Old 12-25-2005, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by JClaw
Of course power compensates after the launch. But what 60' are they pulling? 24-24.5 slicks they can't be pulling much better than 1.6's, right?
1.4 60's with a bar.

I wouldn't try riding them on the highway especially in PQ. Just like riding on steel wheels.
Old 12-25-2005, 06:56 PM

Jim, what is the length of the rollers? Are their metal inserts in them? Do you not run springs at all? Could you cut them in 1/2 or 2/3 height and run springs ant they become really tall bump stops?
Old 12-25-2005, 08:15 PM
SLOW

What I think im going to do is cut a slit in them so they can slip around the strut, and then cut them up into like 1" (or whatever size close to that which works) lengths so I can just stick them in between the coils with the car jacked up. That way I don't have take apart the suspension to install them. Just stack them up like poker chips on the strut.
Old 12-26-2005, 08:44 AM
NWP Engineering.com

What I think im going to do is cut a slit in them so they can slip around the strut, and then cut them up into like 1" (or whatever size close to that which works) lengths so I can just stick them in between the coils with the car jacked up. That way I don't have take apart the suspension to install them. Just stack them up like poker chips on the strut.
That sounds like you are on to something. But how can you cut a slit in them and slip them around the strut if they are HARD plastic. Maybe you are thinking of using something that's softer.

You can MAYBE use hard plastic pieces, cut them the long ways in half and stack them. But I kinda down zip ties will hold the half 1" pieces together during a launch.
Old 12-26-2005, 08:59 AM
I'm nutty for Nissans

if you try to install them on a regular suspension you will have the bump stop and boot and other bushings in the way. just get some blown struts and mounts, put on the rollers, and switch them around. if you dont have the back seat in, you could do the swap in about 35 minutes.
Old 12-26-2005, 11:31 AM
SLOW

Originally Posted by Aaron92SE
That sounds like you are on to something. But how can you cut a slit in them and slip them around the strut if they are HARD plastic. Maybe you are thinking of using something that's softer.

You can MAYBE use hard plastic pieces, cut them the long ways in half and stack them. But I kinda down zip ties will hold the half 1" pieces together during a launch.

If you cut them right you can flex them a little bit, enough to go around a 1/2" thick strut rod. Maybe I'd have to cut a section out of them, something like 1/4" or so to make it easier. It's not like they are made of steel, they do flex some, I've got some in the garage and on my boat trailer.
Old 12-26-2005, 11:35 AM
SLOW

Originally Posted by JSutter
if you try to install them on a regular suspension you will have the bump stop and boot and other bushings in the way. just get some blown struts and mounts, put on the rollers, and switch them around. if you dont have the back seat in, you could do the swap in about 35 minutes.

I could, but I'm trying to avoid having to swap the rear suspension out. When my car is working I am at the track far too often to spend a half hour swapping the rear suspension out of the car once or twice a week. I've done it before (swapped out the rears in about a half hour) but I see no reason why I can't get the boat rollers or some other similar design to work. Bumpstops are not a problem, being as they work on the same principle as this but are obviously much smaller so that your suspension can actually move, these could be put between the bumpstop and strut housing. I don't have the dust boots on my car so those won't be an issue, especially if I end up with K-sports or D2s or Teins.
Old 12-26-2005, 11:35 AM

The SRT4 guys use GTO spring blocks in the rears. They come on GTOs for delivery purposes and when the dealer preps the car, they throw them out. Pontiac dealers will probably give them to you. Might want to try that out.

Next, lower the front a bit and raise the back to combat weight transfer. If you have adjustable shocks, try full stiff in the rear. In a FWD car, weight transfer is the enemy. I've also heard of SRT4 guys disconnecting the front sway bar. This is a common drag strip prep procedure for RWD guys and it works. Don't know how well it works in a FWD car.
Old 12-27-2005, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by MardiGrasMax
Jim, what is the length of the rollers? Are their metal inserts in them? Do you not run springs at all? Could you cut them in 1/2 or 2/3 height and run springs ant they become really tall bump stops?
The rollers are 5" Matt, no metal inserts and no springs I run them just like in the picture.

You could cut them like you suggested but then the rear would still drop off the line (much less of course) and thats what I am trying to prevent.

Originally Posted by Neal
If you cut them right you can flex them a little bit, enough to go around a 1/2" thick strut rod. Maybe I'd have to cut a section out of them, something like 1/4" or so to make it easier. It's not like they are made of steel, they do flex some, I've got some in the garage and on my boat trailer.
Neal I tried what you are suggesting with a similar material but they will come off when the shock compresses, first I tried a normal hose clamp and even tried a HD TBolt hose clamp around each one and eventually they broke too. Besides they are a real biatch to install inside the springs and unless you fill the complete shaft so there is no compression they really don't help. There is a lot more pressure when them come down than I realized they ended up being mangled.

PS I can change these rear struts in less than 10 mins because I already swap the rear wheels at the track so its no big deal, especially when the nuts come off easily because of all the use. My car goes from road to track ready in max 20 mins, thats 4 wheels, intake, struts and headlight. I am usually first in the tech lineup.

Old 12-27-2005, 01:03 PM

PS I can change these rear struts in less than 10 mins because I already swap the rear wheels at the track so its no big deal, especially when the nuts come off easily because of all the use. My car goes from road to track ready in max 20 mins, thats 4 wheels, intake, struts and headlight. I am usually first in the tech lineup.
Did you work for Nascar in another life?
Old 12-27-2005, 01:07 PM

The older you get the faster you get. Especially after 30 or so track days per year.

PS Did you get that big storm?
Old 12-27-2005, 01:22 PM
Conecarver

Originally Posted by MAX2000JP
if you have adjustable shocks, try full stiff in the rear. In a FWD car, weight transfer is the enemy.
Wouldn't you want full stiff in the front as well? Most single adjustable shocks change rebound much more than compression. Stiffening the fronts would resist lifting at launch.
Old 12-27-2005, 01:40 PM

PS Did you get that big storm?
Yep. 'bout 15 inches of snow here.
Old 12-27-2005, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by BEJAY1
Wouldn't you want full stiff in the front as well? Most single adjustable shocks change rebound much more than compression. Stiffening the fronts would resist lifting at launch.
You can try it, but my thinking was that an agressive launch with the shocks set on stiff would result in wheelhop. Correct me if I am wrong????
Old 10-24-2007, 07:38 PM
NWP Engineering.com

First off, let me apologize for bumping such an old thread. But all the good stuff is in the past.

Recently, I yanked the old struts off my parts car and got some boat rollers in order to use them for my drag setup to keep the rear end from dropping.

I can fit some 7" boat rollers in there and that would max out the strut piston. But I'd figure I'd try the 5" rollers first to see how the ride is. I will remove the spring and the bump stop.

I don't expect Jime to reply, but I'm curious how dangerous locking the rear struts could be at 100+mph with rear skinnies.

In the next few days, I am going to test it out on the streets and see how it feels. According to Jim, it's going to be rough! I'll try to hit a small bump in the road at 45mph to see how safe it feels.

I've read an idea that you can get a bunch of old bump stops and stack them up on the strut while keeping the stock springs in place. It should stiffen it a lot better than simply using coil spring boosters.

Any input or suggestions? I need to see 1.7 60's this winter!
Old 10-24-2007, 08:09 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Im thinking out loud:

Imagine running your stock springs (or brand X drop spring) with ground control coilovers inside the regular spring. For street use, lower the collar so you ride on only the regular spring. When you go to the track, raise the collar so the high rate linear G/C spring is taking over. This way you can run what ever rate you like. Maybe you could even substitute the spring for a metal cylinder ie: pipe/fence post.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:26 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

Originally Posted by JSutter
Im thinking out loud:

Imagine running your stock springs (or brand X drop spring) with ground control coilovers inside the regular spring. For street use, lower the collar so you ride on only the regular spring. When you go to the track, raise the collar so the high rate linear G/C spring is taking over. This way you can run what ever rate you like. Maybe you could even substitute the spring for a metal cylinder ie: pipe/fence post.
Or you could wait until you get to the track, jack the car up in the rear, insert a flock of those small rubber spring spacers you buy in the auto parts store, and let the car down on them. I put tie-wraps around each one to secure them to the spring - don't want chunks spitting out on the track, do we?

Your tail is up, there is no monkey-motion or tail-squatting, it still rides decently, and it's easy to reverse if you want lowered again. And it's cheap.

In a straight line, you don't need magic spring rates - heck, you don't want anything to move back there. I have Tokico Illuminas struts/springs front and rear, for 3+ years now, and I've left the rubber spacers (four in each spring) installed for two years now. Never take them out - not even on 1000-mile trips...

PS - I think I larned this from Jclaw - those crafty Canadians again....

Last edited by grey99max; 10-24-2007 at 08:32 PM.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:32 PM
NWP Engineering.com

I am looking for a way to lock the rear suspension in a somewhat safe manner.

I have run rear coil spring blocks for several years now. The rear still drops. Now that I'm pushing a lot more power, I'm looking to improve my suspension further.

The rubber coil spring blocks only help a little. I am looking to jack the rear of the car up by about 3-6 inches. I've seen several FWD drag cars with this setup, I just don't know if they put a steel pipe or plastic boat roller in place of the springs.

I like the boat roller idea Jime introduced to this forum. I just wanted to spark some discussion about it.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:37 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

I am looking for a way to lock the rear suspension in a somewhat safe manner.

I have run rear coil spring blocks for several years now. The rear still drops. Now that I'm pushing a lot more power, I'm looking to improve my suspension further.

The rubber coil spring blocks only help a little. I am looking to jack the rear of the car up by about 3-6 inches. I've seen several FWD drag cars with this setup, I just don't know if they put a steel pipe or plastic boat roller in place of the springs.

I like the boat roller idea Jime introduced to this forum. I just wanted to spark some discussion about it.
Ain't nothing safe about solid suspension. They make bigger rubber blocks. Lots bigger blocks.... You could install those pickup truck mini airbags, if you want altitude, but why? Raising the rear doesn't help ETs.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:49 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by grey99max
Ain't nothing safe about solid suspension. They make bigger rubber blocks. Lots bigger blocks.... You could install those pickup truck mini airbags, if you want altitude, but why? Raising the rear doesn't help ETs.
Raising the rear definitely keeps more weight over the front drive tires during the launch. The higher the rear, the more weight you will have over the drive tires. The next step in keeping weight over the drive tires would be wheelie bars and I hope you guys don't let me do that unless I'm shooting for 9s! lol

There was a pretty quick Dodge Shadow that I use to bracket race with. His wheel gap on the front was about 1 inch. His rear wheel gap was probably about 10-12 inches.

The blocks that I have in there now are the tallest ones I could fit in the coils with the car jacked up. I barely was able to wedge them in place. I have probably put about 50K miles on the street with these blocks. The drivability is pretty decent and it does make a difference at the track. But I'm just shooting for a stiffer track suspension.

Airbags are probably going to be the best setup for safety and stiffness. Airbags technology has come a long ways in the racing world.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:14 PM
SLOW

Are you planning on driving around all the time with the rear of your car jacked up in the air? Do you even daily drive that car any more? More height in the rear will without question improve front wheel traction.

btw not sure what the story is on the wheels yet, I'll let you know
Old 10-25-2007, 07:13 AM
LandShark has Cosworth

Airbags are probably going to be the best setup for safety and stiffness. Airbags technology has come a long ways in the racing world.
I was looking at some for the rear of my Frontier, to help with the weight of the trailer, and found several kits of add-on airbags designed to go between the axle and the frame. You don't have to buy the entire compressor-regulator package , just the airbags and blow them up when needed. Good photos in Jeg's and Summit catalogs...
Old 10-25-2007, 07:38 AM

I think the front is more important than the rear. If the front doesn't come up then the weight transfer is minimized and the rear won't compress. Currently I just use coilovers on the rear set to their stiffest setting.

My front is held down with aircraft cable from the top of the strut to the bottom, set so they have no slack, however next year I am going to try some 2"x24" axle straps,10,000 lb capacity that I found on sale for $4.99. My race setup is the same as my street setup, all I do now at the track is mount the slicks.

Here is a site with some FWD tips. http://www.thedodgegarage.com/http:/...dgegarage.com/

Also I have been plagued with uneven wear on my slicks from day one which isn't helping my traction so I am going to change the camber by a couple of degrees for next year as well. I am just going the cheapie route using bolts.

Last edited by Jime; 10-25-2007 at 07:50 AM.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:04 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Are you planning on driving around all the time with the rear of your car jacked up in the air? Do you even daily drive that car any more? More height in the rear will without question improve front wheel traction.

btw not sure what the story is on the wheels yet, I'll let you know
No, I don't plan on driving around with a solid rear suspension. But it does make me pretty nervous and I haven't even tested it yet. I have 7 5/8" of room on the strut piston. I thought about putting in the 5" boat roller with the stock bump stop, then use a spring. But that old bump stop won't last long. I might just go with the safest route I can think of, keep using rubber blocks in the coils along with stacking a few bump stops on the strut piston while keeping the spring.

Yes, I still drive my car daily. Just on track day, I remove my dash, door panels, bumper supports, and other stuff. As soon as I get back from the track, the bumper supports go back on immediately.

Thanks for the update on the wheels.

Originally Posted by grey99max
I was looking at some for the rear of my Frontier, to help with the weight of the trailer, and found several kits of add-on airbags designed to go between the axle and the frame. You don't have to buy the entire compressor-regulator package , just the airbags and blow them up when needed. Good photos in Jeg's and Summit catalogs...
Thanks for the info. That would be pretty sweet.

I think the front is more important than the rear. If the front doesn't come up then the weight transfer is minimized and the rear won't compress. Currently I just use coilovers on the rear set to their stiffest setting.

My front is held down with aircraft cable from the top of the strut to the bottom, set so they have no slack, however next year I am going to try some 2"x24" axle straps,10,000 lb capacity that I found on sale for $4.99. My race setup is the same as my street setup, all I do now at the track is mount the slicks.
Thanks for replying. It's nice to know you are making progress!

For the fronts, I have some 24" 175lb plastic zip ties you get from your local home improvement store. They hold up pretty well, but when you wrap them around the coils, they tend to bunch together over time.

You say you have aircraft cable? Do you wrap them around the coils or did you find a way to secure the top and bottom of the strut perches? There is probably some kind of clamp that you used to secure the cable together?

The only way I can think of securing the top and bottom of the strut perches is to drill a few tiny holes in the perch to put the cable through. Is this what you had to do?

How do you plan on routing the axle strap to hold the front down? Why would this be better than aircraft cable? Is this what you have in mind?

Information coming from a person that has pulled countless of 1.7s is priceless. Thanks Jim. Are you typing with more than one finger now?
Old 10-25-2007, 08:11 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Here is a site with some FWD tips. http://www.thedodgegarage.com/

Also I have been plagued with uneven wear on my slicks from day one which isn't helping my traction so I am going to change the camber by a couple of degrees for next year as well. I am just going the cheapie route using bolts.
Thanks for the website. I thought I've read everything there is to know about FWD traction on the internet. But this seems to be a good website!

Do you have bad wear on your street tires? I am always paying attention to my alignment on the street. My tires are wearing perfectly right now. So are my slicks, but I don't race nearly as much as you.

There is one thing you can do to fix bad camber issues instead of using those tiny camber bolts that tend to work lose. I was at an old school alignment shop. I heard them drilling on my car. So I left the waiting room to see why they were making me so nervous. They were drilling one hole out of the strut housing to enlarge it slightly. The result is they were able to get a few extra degrees of adjustment by slightly enlarging the hole. You can use to the stock bolts too. It's a pretty good idea I think.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:43 AM

Thanks for replying. It's nice to know you are making progress!

For the fronts, I have some 24" 175lb plastic zip ties you get from your local home improvement store. They hold up pretty well, but when you wrap them around the coils, they tend to bunch together over time.

You say you have aircraft cable? Do you wrap them around the coils or did you find a way to secure the top and bottom of the strut perches? There is probably some kind of clamp that you used to secure the cable together?

The only way I can think of securing the top and bottom of the strut perches is to drill a few tiny holes in the perch to put the cable through. Is this what you had to do?

How do you plan on routing the axle strap to hold the front down? Why would this be better than aircraft cable? Is this what you have in mind?

Do you have bad wear on your street tires? I am always paying attention to my alignment on the street. My tires are wearing perfectly right now. So are my slicks, but I don't race nearly as much as you.

There is one thing you can do to fix bad camber issues instead of using those tiny camber bolts that tend to work lose. I was at an old school alignment shop. I heard them drilling on my car. So I left the waiting room to see why they were making me so nervous. They were drilling one hole out of the strut housing to enlarge it slightly. The result is they were able to get a few extra degrees of adjustment by slightly enlarging the hole. You can use to the stock bolts too. It's a pretty good idea I thin
Drilling a couple of small holes in the perches is exactly what I did Aaron. Not sure on the axle strap yet I just saw them on sale and bought them and they are exactly like your pic. I may stick with the cable.

My street tires wear fine its just the slicks. Thanks for the tip on making the hole larger, seems like a better idea than smaller bolts.

PS I am coming along great, been out of the hospital for over a month and doing outpatient rehab 3 days a week. Started riding my bicycle last week but the hands are still a long way off. Still typing with 2 fingers. I am walking by myself but still unsteady, however I'm not complaining the Dr's all think I am a walking talking miracle and that I will come back 100%.

Quick Reply: rear drag suspension