4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Official Coilover Thread! For everyones benefit!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 08:00 AM
There's never a day when something's not on sale

Ok guys, let's put together a data base for potential/new coilover owners as well as a good reference for those with coilovers.
Please only post if you actually HAVE coilovers ON YOUR CAR. Only provide information about the setup you have. I don't want this trhead to be filled with worthless information from people that don't have actual experience with the product.
Copy this form and paste it with your information filled in:

Brand of coilovers:

Miles i've been running on them:

How much you paid:

Any run-ins you had with installation:

Any problems with the coilovers on your car:

Positive change you noticed the most:

Any other notes you would like to add about the coilovers you HAVE ON YOUR CAR:

Again. DO NOT POST if you don't have coilovers on your car. ie: "this brand of coilovers suck" blah blah blah.... This is going to be an information thread only!!!! People will be able to read your comments about your setup and judge your opinion on there own.

EDIT:
Also add:

What setting of ride you have them on:
How low you've dropped it:
Old 11-30-2005, 08:14 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Brand of coilovers:
Boss Chen Coilovers

Approximately 60k

How much you paid: N/A

No problems

None, other than the car being to low.. Raised.. handling is even better.

how smooth and comfortable the ride is.

After so many miles, these coilovers are holding up very well. The brass spring isolators still look new! The only thing showing age are the dust boots.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:13 AM
Boosted?....

Brand of coilovers: Tein Basic Damper

Miles i've been running on them: 1000 miles

How much you paid: $700

Any run-ins you had with installation: Top mount bolt was strip by the installer and had to be rethreaded.

Any problems with the coilovers on your car: No. I love them. They are confortable and no jarring like my other suspension set ups. Eibach/Tokico Blues, Eibach/AGX, Ground Control front/Eibach Rear/AGX, Stech Front, Eibach rears/AGX, Tein Basic Dampers.

Positive change you noticed the most: Not so jarring ride, cushions some bumps. Nice and flat when turning.

Old 11-30-2005, 12:40 PM
Black Maxima

Brand of coilovers: KSport

Miles i've been running on them: 2,500 miles

How much you paid: $820 shipped

Any run-ins you had with installation: NONE

Any problems with the coilovers on your car: Scraped exhaust and frame.

Positive change you noticed the most: 3" Drop, weaving in and out underneath of tractor trailors on the highway.

Any other notes you would like to add about the coilovers you HAVE ON YOUR CAR: Read the KSport thread in the General Discussion Forum.

Old 11-30-2005, 01:13 PM
Offset Is Everything.

do GC's count?

Brand of coilovers:
Ground Controls

about 4-5,000k

How much you paid:
$250 + shocks (illuminas)

who doesnt.

i dropped it too low and im too lazy to raise it up. stiff.

obviously car became more responsive.

it may not be the best in the world and not a true coilover system, but its been kind to me as i dont drive hard.
**NOTE** if you lower it too much you will have a very small amount of suspension travel before you hit the bumpstops, bottoming out more frequently. ask your shock manufacturer if they are able to shorten the struts so you can get more travel out of it.
Old 11-30-2005, 02:47 PM
Wild for Width

Brand of coilovers: D2 RS Coilovers

~10,000 miles

How much you paid:
Installed on the car when I purchased

I have had them on and off with no problems.

minor front strut mount noise (possibly not coilover related)

*****-out handling with the best of 'em.

Street: F-4 from full R-3 turns Per./Track: full stiff

Pinky gap in the front, tuckin' rears (stock 16s) a few weeks this summer.

The best thing about these coilovers is their adjustability. It is really great to be able to raise/lower the car and retain the same ride quality at all heights. When the dampening is set to full stiff the car is on rails. I run 4 turns from full in the front and 3 turns from full (half) in the rear on the street and ride quality is very good.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:08 PM
Conecarver

Brand of coilovers: Cattman Gen3 (Progress Auto)

Miles i've been running on them: about 15K

How much you paid: $1075 base set, $2500+ incl new springs, custom plates, and 2 rebuilds

Any run-ins you had with installation: street use was straightforward. Set heights and go. OEM front mounts need to be in good condition.

Any problems with the coilovers on your car: Excellent for street use. Customizing required for hardcore competition.

Positive change you noticed the most: ability to customize valving & fun factor

What setting of ride you have them on: stiff (extreme)

How low you've dropped it: 2.5"-3.25" front. I'll add anything below 2" on the A32 screws up arm & tie-rod angles and not advised except for show.

Any other notes you would like to add about the coilovers you HAVE ON YOUR CAR: These don't have pillowball mounts from the factory but both Stillen and Ground Control plates can work. That makes them performance oriented but not harsh. Progress customer service is excellent at rebuilds/revalves.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:16 PM
Project Ruby......

Brand of coilovers: JIC Magic FLT-A2

Miles i've been running on them: 10K

How much you paid: came on the car

Any run-ins you had with installation: came on the car

Any problems with the coilovers on your car: missing on the right front the damper adjuster ****

Positive change you noticed the most: No body roll, adjust height, and dampening.

Any other notes you would like to add about the coilovers you HAVE ON YOUR CAR: On my auto I had Sprints with Illuminas, and these JICs are above and beyong the Sprints/Illuminas. Very minimal body roll, able to adjust height of course and still ride very comfortable!!

I would never get rid of them!!
Old 11-30-2005, 08:10 PM
5th Gen till she dies!

Brand of coilovers: k-sport

Miles i've been running on them: 2000miles

How much you paid: 820shipped

Any run-ins you had with installation: broke a front upper strut mount bolt, and that is really about it.

Any problems with the coilovers on your car: had some clicking noises, but when i tightened everythging up from letting them break in all noises went away. First i lowered it to low and it sank even more so i rubbed alot with my rims.

Positive change you noticed the most: with the ball mounts the steering is 10 times more responcive. the car handles like a dream in full stiff. It handles extreamly well on the softest setting caompared to the agx/s-tech's i was on. The car rides alot better than my previous setup, unless you hit huge bumps in the road, and that is even with 19's from 17's. These came already assembeled with mounts and everything so all you gotta do is slap them in, but it takes some time to adjust. this is my favorite mod so far.

What setting of ride you have them on: i keep them on 2 turns fromt he softenest setting. I just cruise now.

How low you've dropped it: i am about 3 inches in front and about 2.5 in the back

Any other notes you would like to add about the coilovers you HAVE ON YOUR CAR: THERE IS A 16 PAGE THREAD IN THE GENERAL MAXIMA FORUM.......
Old 01-23-2006, 01:41 PM
I support for what?

Brand of coilovers: D2 RS

Miles i've been running on them: 300

How much you paid:824

Any run-ins you had with installation: Gotta bend that bracket for the brake line

Any problems with the coilovers on your car: None

Positive change you noticed the most: Handling and basically no body roll

Any other notes you would like to add about the coilovers you HAVE ON YOUR CAR: These are awesome for any speed fanatic

What setting of ride you have them on: 20 F 36 R gonna adjust them to 32 F 33 R and see how they ride

How low you've dropped it: 2.2 F 2.5 R even drop
Old 01-23-2006, 05:47 PM
Maximoneypit

Brand: D2's

Miles: ~1000

Price: 725

Problems: NONE

Positive Changes: Little body roll; car stays planted - less traction loss on sharp cornering. These things are amazing.

Settings: Currently 24 up front and 28 in the rear.

Currently Dropped w/ a finger gap all around - probably gonna raise the back slightly.
Old 01-23-2006, 08:25 PM

Miles i've been running on them:About 1K

How much you paid: Swapped with org member

Any run-ins you had with installation: Nothing but fun

None, I think I need to adjust the preload on them, aside from that, they've been a quite as a mute.

Positive change you noticed the most: Smooth *** ride, great handling.

All the good stuff about coilovers. I love the low ride but still smooth. Having all this adjustability is perfect, combine it with a lifetime aligment and you could truely adjust your coilovers when ever you wanted.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:23 AM

Brand of coilovers: TEIN Basic

Miles i've been running on them: About 10K

How much you paid: Used from local .Org member

Any run-ins you had with installation: None. They came with OEM strut mounts assembled and all ready to bolt on.

Any problems with the coilovers on your car: None.

How low you've dropped it: 2.0" front, 1.5" rear. (26.0" ride height measured at front fenders)

Positive change you noticed the most: Very smooth and comfortable ride. Handing was greatly improved over previous Eibach/AGX setup. A great street coilover especially if you value ride quality/comfort.

Not ideal for extemely low drops greater than 2.5" inches if you have a body kit. They're tuned for comfort and street performance so if you're too low, the lip sometimes scrapes the ground on big dips and during heavy cornering.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:02 AM

Brand of coilovers: KSPORT Kontrol Pro

Miles i've been running on them: About 200 miles

Any run-ins you had with installation: Didn't know what to do with the cheesy brake line brackets. Adjustment wrenches are of cheap quality.

Any problems with the coilovers on your car: clicking and more clicking

How low you've dropped it: 2.5" front, 2.25" rear. 25.25" ride height measured at the front fenders. Tire size 235/45/17

Positive/Negative changes you noticed the most: Stiff as fawk on higher damper settings (neck muscles started getting sore on the freeway),

Clicking tapping noise when turning the steering wheel. I hope it's not the axles. Either way I guess I need to raise it up a little.
Old 06-17-2007, 04:22 PM
Chassis Freak

Brand of coilovers: Boss Chen, 36-way dampers with 8/6 kg-mm springs (front/rear).

Miles i've been running on them: About 1500 miles.

Any run-ins you had with installation: None. Springs settled after a week or two, so I had to adjust the ride height.

Any problems with the coilovers on your car: Very occasionally I get a click or two, only happens in driveways and parking lots. Might need to adjust the preload to fix this but it's so minor (barely noticeable) that I probably won't bother.

How low you've dropped it: About 1.7" front, 1.5" rear. Just a guess, but I did measure the wheel arch heights: 26.6" front, 27.1" rear. Tire size 235/45/17. See sig pic below.

Positive/Negative changes you noticed the most: Definite improvement in ride over spring/strut setup (I had TEIN H-Tech with Illuminas), due to increased suspension travel, and despite the fact that the spring rates are stiffer. Relatively comfy for everyday driving, but easy to make nice and stiff for performance driving.

Any other notes you would like to add about the coilovers you HAVE ON YOUR CAR: I love them and recommend them to anyone who wants to lower their Max the right way. The only issue is that they shouldn't be run in cold temperatures, like any coilover, because it shortens the damper life and the ride gets noticeably worse. These ride best above 60 degrees and I wouldn't recommend using them below freezing.
Old 06-17-2007, 05:32 PM
Schnell kaputt

Brand of coilovers: Progress Technology 8/6kg

Miles i've been running on them: ~5,000mi

Any run-ins you had with installation: None. Bolt-on application but you will need to have them assembled. Re-uses front OE mounts/isolators.

Any problems with the coilovers on your car: Rubs the fender liner on turns and full lock. Will need to modify that. Clunking on right turns. Rubs fender when turning too fast or tight and on inclines/declines with the wheels turned (ie: parking lot entrance/exit) (dropped it too low).

How low you've dropped it: 24 15/16" front 25 1/2" rear. 19x8.5 245/35 ET40 wheel/tire setup. 10mm spacers in the rear. Rolled fenders.

Positive/Negative changes you noticed the most: No more bottoming out. Bumps are tamed.

Simple height adjustment only coilovers are all you need for daily driving. Durable construction and city-street friendly dampening. Minimal features = noise-free. Would prefer stiffer valving (ie: 10/8kg) as I rub through turns but it's very comfortable for daily driving. Suggest you upgrade to Raxles which I will be doing.

***Updated***

Last edited by Bonka; 12-05-2007 at 12:52 PM.
Old 06-18-2007, 07:00 AM

Miles i've been running on them: 20k KM ( 3rd summer)

How much you paid:$1099.99 CDN

Any run-ins you had with installation: none what so ever, easier to install then the stock suspension..

Any problems with the coilovers on your car: None

Positive change you noticed the most: Handling and basically no body roll

Any other notes you would like to add about the coilovers you HAVE ON YOUR CAR: for the price, couldn't go wrong and they are sick looking.. anodized purple!

What setting of ride you have them on: 24 F 30 R gonna adjust them to 24 F 24 R and see how they ride

How low you've dropped it: my side mirror sits below the bottom of a Maxima mirror at stock height
Old 06-18-2007, 09:17 AM
Wild for Width

Brand of coilovers: Ground Control and KYB AGX (380F/325R springs)

~250 miles

How much you paid:
~$600 all said and done.

General confusion and panic. Mike Kojima's 200SX guide helped.

After the car sits for around 24 hrs. a slight pop heard in front strut towers. In a way it's almost like this setup "warms up". Much smoother and quieter after 10-15 minutes of driving. May look into isolaters. Generally stiff ride.

Turn in on SHARP corners is BETTER than my D2 setup. They don't start to plow as easily in sharper corners as the D2s did but they also don't stay as flat. I will be experimenting with 500lb. rear springs.

Front: 4 Rear: 7

F: 26" R: 25.75" or around three skinny fingers.

A very potent setup that takes handling a level higher than springs can provide. Takes a good bit of patience/troubleshooting/creativity to get things setup correctly. I don't feel this is my last setup as there is still a few compromises (mainly stiff ride and minor noises), but for as flat as want to keep the car there may always be a flipside.

08.13.07 Update: I had the wrong front perches and that was causing my overnight "settling" noise. Got the right ones in and noise is gone. I am investigating options for spring isolators in the front for a minor tinny noise that comes about when the springs are unloaded as they do not have preload on them. I have since swapped the rear springs to 500lb. springs in the rear and this has made a major difference in keeping the car very flat. I tend to think that a rate somewhere within 400-450lb range would have the best handling without lending to the go-kart feel.

I have done about 1,000 miles on the setup and no changes have been required due to noise issues which I think is great so far. My D2s from my earlier post required troubleshooting every few weeks.
Old 07-01-2007, 11:43 AM
RaWr!!! ('''_(o_O)_''')

Brand of coilovers:
D2 Coilovers with I think 9/6 springs.

~30k

How much you paid:
Was a while ago, I think $600 or 650 shipped. (One of the first group deals)

no

no. there is the clicking that the D2/ksports are known for. If I keep up with the maintinence about every 2 months Ill never hear it, but lately I just dont care anymore. The clicking comes and goes but you cant hear it with your music on or with your intake/exhaust screaming.

Ride isnt too harsh, but harsh rides never bother me anyways. Handling is great, great performance for a cheap price.

I change all the time but usually its at about 5 turns stiff front, and 4 turns still rear.

I dont know, rear tires are slightly tucked, fronts need lots of chamber...so pretty ****in low.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:28 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Brand of coilovers: D2

Miles I've been running on them: 300

How much you paid: $800+

Any run-ins you had with installation: Professionally Installed.

Any problems with the coilovers on your car: The stiff ride is taking some getting used to.

Positive change you noticed the most: Handles like it's on rails.

Any other notes you would like to add about the coilovers you HAVE ON YOUR CAR: They can be a bit noisy when hitting bumps/potholes.

What setting of ride you have them on: Stiffest setting.
How low you've dropped it: 3"
Old 12-23-2010, 01:59 AM
Banned

bump i know its almost 2 years old but lets get more info for future orgers who may have questions
Old 07-29-2011, 10:59 AM

How much you paid: $750 shipped

Any problems with the coilovers on your car: Cant find anyone to align my car. its too ow and making my tires bald.

Positive change you noticed the most:aggressive stance and steering response.

Any other notes you would like to add about the coilovers you HAVE ON YOUR CAR: They ride very well. well worth the money spent.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Nismo95Max

How much you paid: $750 shipped

Any problems with the coilovers on your car: Cant find anyone to align my car. its too ow and making my tires bald.

Positive change you noticed the most:aggressive stance and steering response.

Any other notes you would like to add about the coilovers you HAVE ON YOUR CAR: They ride very well. well worth the money spent.
also i really need an alignment option. if anyone could help or give advice it would be worth it. my new tires are bald
Old 07-29-2011, 11:30 AM

Brand of coilovers: BC Racing BR Type

Miles i've been running on them: Errrr 2-3k?

How much you paid: $850

Any run-ins you had with installation: The sleeves for the struts were backwards

Any problems with the coilovers on your car: None so far!

Positive change you noticed the most: Coming from Stock SE Struts+Dropzone Springs, the handling and ride quality... I played with the settings some more to gain better ride quality and handling got it down to the way I wanted now.
On the stiffer settings, I can actually feel the rear end through corners (felt like a fish flopping it's tail before) and the tires are communicating with me too.

What setting of ride you have them on: 5/30f - 12/30r with the springs slightly compressed @ 20mm (Daily) /\ 12/30 25/30 with the front springs @ 18mm and the rear @ 16mm (for play)

How low you've dropped it: I have no idea, but 24" from ground to top of the wheel well Front and Rear for daily, and for srz business It's at 26"F and 26.5"R

Last edited by aackshun; 07-29-2011 at 08:04 PM.
Old 07-29-2011, 06:08 PM
Banned

Brand of coilovers:

BC Racing Type BR

since I've had the car 4k miles, but since the previous owner had em on the car maybe another 4-5k so i'd say a total around 8-9K

How much you paid:

came with the car but $600

nope, came previously installed on car

nope

ability to lower the car, the car feels great I have more control and can get very comfy depending on road but thats me besides the little jarring from time to time due to uneven pavement, bumps, dips, etc otherwise wonderful if road is smooth which is normal from coilovers

BEFORE - Front 3 clicks from full stiff Rear - Full Soft NOW: Front & Back FULL STIFF

from fender Front 24 1/2 inch Rear 25 inch

Last edited by J2FRESH; 07-29-2011 at 06:11 PM.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:19 PM

Brand of coilovers: NEX GT

Miles i've been running on them: <5k (I take the car out when needed)

How much you paid: $978 shipped (through a friend who owns a speed shop here)

Any run-ins you had with installation: No. Straight bolt-on.

Any problems with the coilovers on your car: No. *knocks on wood*

Positive change you noticed the most: Little or no body roll; car feels more "planted"..

What setting of ride you have them on: 2/4 all the way around (4 being "stiff")

How low you've dropped it: About 2.5" f/b. +/- 1/2" (barely 1 finger gap all around and I run 225/40/18's)

Any other notes you would like to add about the coilovers you HAVE ON YOUR CAR: Very smooth ride with all the excess "bounciness" associated with coilovers.. Ride damping/ height adjustable is a plus.. IMO- best bang for my $$$..

I think I have a pic of it in the gallery section, if anyone is curious..
Old 07-30-2011, 12:26 PM
Administrator

Brand of coilovers:

JIC Magic VIP FLT-TAR. 15 way adjustable monotube suspension system

http://www.jic-magic.com/ViewProduct...48&CarMakeID=7

1,000 miles so far

How much you paid:

$1,850

No. Excellent quality and even come with the proper brackets to hold the ABS line just like OEM.

No. These are the best coilovers I've ever ridden on in a Maxima. My only regret is that I didn't install them sooner.

Ability to lower the car as much as I want and not effect handling/comfort as dampening is independent of ride height. Handling/steering response has increased ten fold. Ride quality is still good. Firm, but not jarring or punishing. I can take on ramps now like a madman. Limiting reagent is now my tires, not my suspension.

Almost full soft, 3 clicks up. Haven't gone stiffer yet, but will soon.

About 2 inches. Will get exact measurements and edit this post asap. My plan is to drop it until there is there is only a finger gap between top of tire and fender. But I have to roll my fenders first before I go any lower.
Old 07-30-2011, 04:50 PM

anybody use the ones off of Ebay?
Old 07-30-2011, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by The Wizard
Brand of coilovers:

JIC Magic VIP FLT-TAR. 15 way adjustable monotube suspension system

http://www.jic-magic.com/ViewProduct...48&CarMakeID=7

1,000 miles so far

How much you paid:

$1,850

No. Excellent quality and even come with the proper brackets to hold the ABS line just like OEM.

No. These are the best coilovers I've ever ridden on in a Maxima. My only regret is that I didn't install them sooner.

Ability to lower the car as much as I want and not effect handling/comfort as dampening is independent of ride height. Handling/steering response has increased ten fold. Ride quality is still good. Firm, but not jarring or punishing. I can take on ramps now like a madman. Limiting reagent is now my tires, not my suspension.

Almost full soft, 3 clicks up. Haven't gone stiffer yet, but will soon.

About 2 inches. Will get exact measurements and edit this post asap. My plan is to drop it until there is there is only a finger gap between top of tire and fender. But I have to roll my fenders first before I go any lower.
Its on the 99 right?
Old 07-30-2011, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by TravisCadello
anybody use the ones off of Ebay?
Which ones specifically? Theres quite a few different sets thaat can be had on eGay
Old 07-30-2011, 06:40 PM

Brand of coilovers:

D2's

About 1,000km

How much you paid:

$873.13

No very straightforward.

Not yet.

Good handles, rides great if you have decent roads, adjusting height is quick and easy.

4 in the front/back.

Ground to the fender is 25.25" all around.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:30 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Brand of coilovers:

BC

70...just installed them last weekend.

How much you paid:

$899 dropped off at my door

I thought I had the suspension the same height all around but the front was 3inches higher than the rear...I was pretty tired so I was going to try to pass it off as a rally edition lol.

Seriously though it was an easy fix once I took the wheels back off.

None so far. I still need to get an alignment though.

I can stop the car without skidding out. Much less slop getting on and off the freeways too.

Even though I only bought my car for $1800 it was still worth getting these coilovers. I adjusted them so they were on the softer side and close to stock ride height. Now I should be able get another few years use out of this car without any major issues.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:02 AM

I recently purchased a set of DNA Motoring Coil-Overs from Ebay for $100 shipped for my 96 SE. I am keeping the stock shocks for now as I am not a rich man. I was just wondering if anybody had any advice for me on the ride height that is ideal. After reading through all of the threads on the org it seems most are going 24' at the lowest and averaging about 25.5". I know most of you are laughing because they are so cheap and probably not worth a crap but I bought what I could afford. Any advice would be appreciated thanks
Old 12-07-2011, 04:31 PM

^^^ your first problem was buying 100 coilovers from ebay
Old 12-07-2011, 06:54 PM

Yea anything eBay isn't the best get what you pay for