6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Locked Out Again (solved)

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2005, 08:48 AM

Locked Out Again (solved)

Well, Christine locked me out again with the car running. At the suggestion of others in this forum, I had my flat door key in my wallet, so no harm was done. But this time I looked about for quite awhile.

All of my past blame was placed on some strange bug in the power lock system, but that is not it. It is the flipper that Nissan built into the mix. When you slam a door, it is possible that it moves very slightly---just enough that the door registers locked from the outside. It has happened on both sides of the car & is caused no doubt from too little resistance being needed for this partial engagement.
Old 04-02-2005, 09:35 AM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

you know it happens to me too, luckly it only happens when my girl is in the car still so she unlocks it for me.... so its from slamming the door huh...
Old 04-02-2005, 10:29 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

that happened to me at school with the engine running and the system booming, my gf had to go to my house wich was 30 miles aaway, get the keys from my dad, get gas, cuz i was on e almost, and then drive back, i was waiting there for about 2 hours, when she got back i touched my hood and almost got 3rd degree burns, so now whenever i close my doors with the key in the ignition i just open the windows before, problem solved
Old 04-02-2005, 12:09 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

What happens to me is that I open the door and, apparently, the handle is not releasing all the way back to its original position. So, when I get in the close the door, it doesn't close because the lock (flipper?) is stuck 'open'. Make sense? I keep pulling the door closed and it was taking a couple of time. Then, the other day, I realized, when I lifted up on the door handle, it wasn't going all the way back down to its original position. It's something I will mention next time its in the shop for maintenance. Until then, I'm just keeping my eye one it.
Jane
Old 04-02-2005, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by missjane
What happens to me is that I open the door and, apparently, the handle is not releasing all the way back to its original position. So, when I get in the close the door, it doesn't close because the lock (flipper?) is stuck 'open'. Make sense? I keep pulling the door closed and it was taking a couple of time. Then, the other day, I realized, when I lifted up on the door handle, it wasn't going all the way back down to its original position. It's something I will mention next time its in the shop for maintenance. Until then, I'm just keeping my eye one it.
Jane
this hasn't happen to me, but I do get what your saying... its a terrible noice when you go to close the door and it hits the lock and the door stays open... maybe it has to do with the spring in the handle or so..
Old 04-02-2005, 12:40 PM
SuPeRmOd

go ahead and show your dealer that "My door sometimes locks when I slam my door closed. So I get locked out b/c I leave my keys in my car." I really hope they can fix it. but you can't already predict their respone???? "Sir, why do you leave your keys in the car? or Sir, why do you slam your door? That is abuse."

I recommended a solution besides leaving your window(s) open and the obvious "just don't leave your keys in the car"... You're obviously leaving your keys in the car intentionally, so you can intentionally unlock all four doors. Then if you feel the need to SLAM the door, you have 3 others that will open.

you do know if you leave your keys in the car and someone decides to "test drive" it your insurance will deny you any coverage?
Old 04-02-2005, 02:39 PM
KC's FINEST

I had a big problem with this in our Murano. Tha max dosent or hasent done this yet. What Ive noticed is like starlit said the slightest movement to the lock lever locks it up. If you look behind the lever theres a little spring, just take it off... Heres a link to a quick fix. I did it and its never happend again: Lock Fix
Old 04-02-2005, 07:35 PM

The same thing happened to me, I was at the ATM on a military base and stepped out to get some cash and 1hr later I finally get back in the car. The locksmith and I was looking at the driver side door latch and it was in the unlock position. I had to pay $40 for that service. I went to Nissan the next day and asked the service manager if this has happened to other vehicles, and of course he said no. It also recently happened again in my driveway when I was washing the car, luckily I had my wife's set of keys with me. I am scheduling an appointment with the dealership to have the problem investigated. I am not trying to bash my Max or Nissan, I really love my car but you should not have to purposely unlock the other doors because your car might lock you out.
Old 04-03-2005, 06:16 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hello All;

My wife had it happen twice to her within the last month. Luckly she was home and had a spare key. Has Nissan admiited to the problem and is there any "offical" fix from Nissan. Thanks for the help
Old 04-03-2005, 08:52 AM

I have never had this happen to me, but I can see an easy solution that's already been said (sort of). There is a setting on the menu where you can change the key fob to unlock all doors or just the driver's door. I have it set to unlock all doors. All doors will stay unlocked because they don't lock automatically when you get to a certain speed like most other cars. So if you do decide to leave your keys in the car (I can't see why you would) all doors will be unlocked except for the driver's door if it indeed got locked when you slammed the door. By the way, STOP SLAMMING YOUR DOORS!
Old 04-03-2005, 08:54 AM

Well this has happened to me at least twice. Once at a car wash and the other time in front of a client's house. It's embaressing to say the least. I usually just unlock all 4 doors if I step out of the car with the keys in it.

There are a few situations where I need to leave my keys in the car when I get out. I'm always paranoid that the doors won't open even if I unlock all 4 doors.

I'd appreciate an "official" fix, as I'm sure everyone else would.
Old 04-03-2005, 10:21 AM

Is this only a problem with '04's? I have an '05 but haven't had this problem yet but I haven't owned it but about 3 weeks now.
Old 04-04-2005, 09:11 AM

I dunno if this is the answer, but I noticed that when you lock your doors while you are inside the car, and then you try to open your (driver's) door, it will open even if you don't unlock it. Problem is, when you go out of your car and then you close the door, you won't be able to open it again. It seems like you really still have to unlock it from the inside before you open the door(even if you don't have to because it opens either way from the inside) just so that you wont lock yourself out. just my little "discovery"...correct me if Im wrong...
Old 04-04-2005, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by joemax1
I dunno if this is the answer, but I noticed that when you lock your doors while you are inside the car, and then you try to open your (driver's) door, it will open even if you don't unlock it.
This is not a problem. This is a mandatory security feature in all newer cars. You dont have to hit the unlock button to open the FRONT driver and passengar door. Nissan opens the the door at the first try. Audi/BMW opens the door at the second try.
Old 04-04-2005, 03:33 PM

yup, I know it's not, and Im even happy that our doors are designed that way. It'sjust that if you do that without "unlocking" your doors, and then you get out and close your door, you won't be able to open it again. That was my point. I dunno if that's the reason why some people think that their doors lock "automatically"...
Old 04-04-2005, 07:42 PM
SuPeRmOd

yup, I know it's not, and Im even happy that our doors are designed that way. It'sjust that if you do that without "unlocking" your doors, and then you get out and close your door, you won't be able to open it again. That was my point. I dunno if that's the reason why some people think that their doors lock "automatically"...
i'm sure if my doors are locked and I exit, I can get right back inside. I played with this a little. once open, i have to move the lock past half way position to lock it. but just a nudge doesn't lock it.

so did anyone come back from the dealer yet? I'm thinking IF they consider it a defect that cosing it causes the lock to move enough to engage, hopefully they can just add a stiffer spring. but they may order you an entire new locking mechanism.
Old 04-05-2005, 08:12 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

FLipper to blame for lock-out

Has anybody come to a conclusion to fix this problem? I, too, had problems with my 2004 locking me out with the engine running and baby in the back seat. Luckily for me I don't lock all the doors but when I close the door only the driver's side locks. To top it off my dealer didn't believe me for over three months. Complaint after complaint until one day it occurred right in front of the Service Manager.

Originally Posted by Tek-Niq
you know it happens to me too, luckly it only happens when my girl is in the car still so she unlocks it for me.... so its from slamming the door huh...
Old 04-05-2005, 08:36 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by mwells
Has anybody come to a conclusion to fix this problem? I, too, had problems with my 2004 locking me out with the engine running and baby in the back seat. Luckily for me I don't lock all the doors but when I close the door only the driver's side locks. To top it off my dealer didn't believe me for over three months. Complaint after complaint until one day it occurred right in front of the Service Manager.

look at post #10 above. However this may or may not work on the maxima. Try it out and let us know
Old 04-05-2005, 09:00 AM
SuPeRmOd

like I figured, dealers will deny there is a problem. so you can A) try the above fix B) roll awindow down or unlock all 4 doors and/or don't leave your keys inside C) call Nissan and complain

I suggest everyone tell Nissan about it since it is a cross-gen problem.
Old 05-11-2005, 07:37 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Agree with post #10, I reset my driver electronics menu to unlock all doors and set the time delay for Auto Lock of doors to OFF, as a last minute backup and this is ONLY when at my house to run inside and grab something, I will lower the drivers window. Other than that, I'm no door slammer and when NOT at home, NEVER leave your keys in the ignition. If you like your ride, thieves will love it more... Why give a sucker a chance...
Old 05-11-2005, 09:13 AM

Guess I have been lucky. Hasn't happened to me yet. Then again I rarely leave the car running and shut the door. If I do its because I left something in the house so I run back in to get it.
Old 05-11-2005, 01:01 PM
MaxiMiller305

Damn i have never had this problem before, but then again I always leave my car running when i get out for a couple minutes. The trick is to take your keyless entry remote with you. When i leave my car running and i get out, i always lock it with the remote, then when i want to get back in a click the unlock button. I LOVE THIS FEATURE!

Old 05-11-2005, 01:18 PM
MaxiMiller305

How to Break into The Max!

i forgot my own advice about the keyfob and locked them in the trunk....
for good measure i posted for the world to see how to break-in step by step.

so i'll be on my second vacation

Old 05-11-2005, 01:30 PM

It might be a wise idea to keep information like this to yourself. It's not like we need to make it easier for something bad to happen.
Old 05-11-2005, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by MaxiMiller305
It only costed my 50 bucks to learn this and get my damn keys out of my trunk. too bad common sense is priceless....

tell them how to get the hid's off the car while your at it
Old 05-11-2005, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by MaxiMiller305
It only costed my 50 bucks to learn this and get my damn keys out of my trunk. too bad common sense is priceless....
Geex, tell the world. Might as well just leave the doors unlocked with the trunk and hood open.
Old 05-27-2005, 06:20 PM

Isn't there a setting to shut off the automatic relock feature or at least make it longer? I had a problem when i first got the car, i would unlock it and if i did not enter within a minute it would re-lock. Not sure if this is the same issue since keys are in the car.
Old 09-22-2005, 01:34 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I dunno if this is the answer, but I noticed that when you lock your doors while you are inside the car, and then you try to open your (driver's) door, it will open even if you don't unlock it. Problem is, when you go out of your car and then you close the door, you won't be able to open it again. It seems like you really still have to unlock it from the inside before you open the door(even if you don't have to because it opens either way from the inside) just so that you wont lock yourself out. just my little "discovery"...correct me if Im wrong...

I think you are right joemax1. This has happened to me a couple of times when I hop out to get my mail from the mailbox...luckily i am at home & can have my hubby help me...but him and I came up with the same thought...even though all 4 doors are locked...if you are sitting inside...you can pull the door handle and it pulls the lock out and lets you open the door...however...MOST times...if you then shut the door and try to pull on the outside handle...the car will still be locked even though you can see the inside lock is out....i just try to roll my window down...or i dont shut my door all the way now...im just glad i havent had one of the horror stories like some you guys have...HOWEVER!!!! back in like 2000 in my plymouth breeze i locked my keys IN my car....at the gas station...with it running...and my Orion 12s HITTING HARD!!! and i was already late for work...HAHAHA
Old 09-22-2005, 02:25 PM

Originally posted by joemax1
I'm not sure if it's a 04 thing, but my doors will not open unless I unlock them.
Old 09-22-2005, 07:11 PM

I locked myself out a few times during carwashes. But I had the keys still in my pocket. I still can't explain it. I never slam the door hard. My daughters are the door slammers and their doors never lock.
Another thing that really shocks me everytime, the outside mirrors mysteriously close when I start the car. It happens a few times already in the 15 months of ownership. Somehow the switch was at the close position. I can swear I never touch it when exiting/entering the car, no way.
Old 09-22-2005, 07:24 PM
gec

Old 09-23-2005, 06:38 AM

I should of never read this thread. Now I can't get out of my car unless I roll down the window and open the door from the outside. I guess being locked in is better than being locked out.
Old 09-23-2005, 07:02 AM
http://www.cardomain.com/my/ed

I know this might have been mentioned but don't these cars come with roadside assistance? Has anyone had to call them for it? I thought that I read that the roadside assistance deals with lock outs. I wonder how long it takes. I don't know if this has been mentioned but every car that I have had I keep my spare key in a little magnetic box under my car that holds my spare key. I got locked out of my Ford Expedition once and that was enough for me. My alarm system would automatically lock my doors after a certain amount of time. I just place my valet key in this box where only I know where it will be. It works very well the box stays in place and never moves. It is water proof . I haven't had to use it yet but I check to make sure it is under there when I change my oil. Just one way to help with lock outs.
Old 09-23-2005, 12:38 PM
SuPeRmOd

roadside comes with extended warranty.

you do realize there are car theives that will search an entire underbody for that spare right? Only takes someone seeing you get it once to temp them to get it later.

knowing this is possible is enough for me to never leave my keys in the car. I never find a situation where I will be out of the car for less than 30 sec while running (more than 30 sec idling is worse on gas and the car than restarting). I habitually push the lock button on the door when exiting anyway.
Old 09-23-2005, 01:38 PM
gec

nissan and all other auto manufacturers that offer roadside assistance contract with AAA under RAP (roadside asistance program) of course they don't tell you that, but when you call for service a AAA truck will show up

Old 09-23-2005, 10:44 PM

NismoMax80 - And the knowledge that there are millions of scumbags lurking out there is the reason I hide my spare key in places where it can't be seen. Places like on top of a frame beam, or inside a bumper.

And if I ever have to dig it out in a public place, I try to wait until nobody is around, then I don't put the key back under the car for a few months, and never put it back in the same area of the car.

This is a habit I have had for over half a century, and one I find is difficult to break. It has probably been fifteen or twenty years since I have actually had to use the hidden key. I think it is more an 'emotional security blanket' than anything else these days.

One reason it is sort of a useless habit is because, like you, I ALWAYS lock the car from the OUTSIDE WITH THE REMOTE/KEY before even stepping ten feet away to get a newspaper out of a paper box. Being sort of near Atlanta, I am very wary about carjackers.
Old 09-24-2005, 03:55 AM
SuPeRmOd

very sound advice. being that cautious makes a lot more sense to me. I'm still okay with waiting on Nissan or AAA coming to my rescue. It's a fitting punishment for me leaving the keys in anyway.

Let me add, for the spare, please follow others and make it a generic blank that will only unlock the door. this way you need the oem key to run the car. The alarm will also sound which you could deactivate easily, but theives could not disarm or drive away. valet key is NOT an okay second option, it only prevent someone from unlocking the glovebox or trunk.
Old 09-24-2005, 05:30 AM
GrandPa

Originally Posted by MaxFan
I locked myself out a few times during carwashes. But I had the keys still in my pocket. I still can't explain it. I never slam the door hard. My daughters are the door slammers and their doors never lock.
Another thing that really shocks me everytime, the outside mirrors mysteriously close when I start the car. It happens a few times already in the 15 months of ownership. Somehow the switch was at the close position. I can swear I never touch it when exiting/entering the car, no way.
Read reply 20. Your car is in auto lock status.
Old 09-26-2005, 03:31 PM
http://www.cardomain.com/my/ed

Originally Posted by NismoMax80
roadside comes with extended warranty.

you do realize there are car theives that will search an entire underbody for that spare right? Only takes someone seeing you get it once to temp them to get it later.

knowing this is possible is enough for me to never leave my keys in the car. I never find a situation where I will be out of the car for less than 30 sec while running (more than 30 sec idling is worse on gas and the car than restarting). I habitually push the lock button on the door when exiting anyway.
I don't think it would be easy for someone to find my key in the location that it is in. I only check for it when I do my oil changes. I also took my car to my friend's job (mr. tire) to get my wheels rotated and balanced. I ask him to put it on the lift to see is they could spot my key box. They could not find it. If someone wants to steal a car there really isn't much you can do to stop them. This is only for lock out situations. I do agee with nismo about using a key that will only unlock the doors I will be making that change. I doubt that a thief will see me looking for my key since I do my oil changes in my buddies garage. It is all mental security for me. If they find my key where I have it located then they are real good. It is not located in a area where you can touch around to get it. I have yet to need it in the past 5 years with any of my cars. Just good to know I won't have to wait around to get my own car opened.
Old 09-26-2005, 03:54 PM
GrandPa

Originally Posted by blackmax4
I should of never read this thread. Now I can't get out of my car unless I roll down the window and open the door from the outside. I guess being locked in is better than being locked out.
Same here. I turned off the automatic door lock system.

Quick Reply: Locked Out Again (solved)