Dyno Discussion and Slips Discussion and a moderated "Dyno Slips" sub-forum to allow for posting of dyno slips.

The DYNO "Questions & Answers" How to get the most of your dyno experience.

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2005, 12:03 PM
Old Maxima Legend

The DYNO "Questions & Answers" How to get the most of your dyno experience.

I have lots of questions. To be honest I don't know what im looking at when viewing dyno sheets. All I get out of it is that org member "such and such" has X amount of HP and Torque.

When I get the Chariot running again. Im going to head over to get a dyno done as well. Always wanted to do that. But I want to get everything I can out of each visit.

Is there a list for dyno newbies somewhere or can we make a list here of all the things to do to get the most of a dyno tune?

_____QUESTIONS_____

1. How do you find out what is the best rpm to shift at in each gear from a dyno tune ?

2. To actually tune your car (N/A) on a dyno do you need the Apex-i SAFC ? If so why ?

3. What gear should a 4th gen 5 speed manual and automatic dyno in ?

4. Whats the most you can get from a dyno?
4a. Can you walk away with charts (paper and cdrom format for using on the internet) , video, tuning, etc ?

5. What dyno (brand) should be used and why ?

6. What things should be done to the car to get the most out of the dyno? (examples: octane boost, rim size, tire pressure, fan blowing on engine or only dyno in low elevation, and cold temps, etc)

7. For comparision dynos for different mods what is the best way to get acurate results? such as ( intakes, ecus, ypipe, headers, etc)

8. How bad is it on the engine to do dyno runs ?

9. Why do you SAE correct your dyno charts?
Old 03-27-2005, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by the chariot
I have lots of questions. To be honest I don't know what im looking at when viewing dyno sheets. All I get out of it is that org member "such and such" has X amount of HP and Torque.

When I get the Chariot running again. Im going to head over to get a dyno done as well. Always wanted to do that. But I want to get everything I can out of each visit.

Is there a list for dyno newbies somewhere or can we make a list here of all the things to do to get the most of a dyno tune?

_____QUESTIONS_____

1. How do you find out what is the best rpm to shift at in each gear from a dyno tune ?

2. To actually tune your car (N/A) on a dyno do you need the Apex-i SAFC ? If so why ?

4a. Can you walk away with charts (paper and cdrom format for using on the internet) , video, tuning, etc ?

6. What things should be done to the car to get the most out of the dyno? (examples: octane boost, rim size, tire pressure, fan blowing on engine or only dyno in low elevation, and cold temps, etc)

7. For comparision dynos for different mods what is the best way to get acurate results? such as ( intakes, ecus, ypipe, headers, etc)

1. It doesen't really matter, you just want to get to around 2000 in the ideal gear.

2. You need something similar to the AFC or an AFC because you can't change any settings without an air/fuel calibrator.

3. A 5 Speed Manual car will dyno in 3rd gear, a 6 speed will dyno in 4th, you want the gear that has the closest 1:1 ratio for the most accurate result.

4. You usually just get a chart, you can video tape it if you bring your own camera. Sometimes they burn CDs for you too.

5. Well for accurate tuning, especially on turbocharged or any F/I car you want to tune on a Load-based dyno, not some inertia dyno. So basically stay away from Dynojets.

6. Just take your car as it is, unless your car is turbocharged or f/i then you might want to use race gas especially if your going to be tuning for high boost settings.

7. Dyno stock, dyno with an intake, dyno with an intake and exhaust, etc. Thats how you do your comparison dynos.

8. No worse then driving it on the street.

9. SAE Corrections are there to correct for altitude, temperature etc. It basically simulates what you would be dynoing at sea level in a mild climate. Since every other place in the world is different it simplifies the results so you can compare to other vehicles. For example if you dyno a maxima in california at sea level in 60 degree weather and you get 160WHP then you take the same car and dyno it a mile-high in arizona in 100 degree weather and your only making 145WHP now.
Old 03-27-2005, 03:36 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Actually 4th gen 5-speeds should dyno in 4th gear. Gear ratios:

1st 3.28
2nd 1.85
3rd 1.25
4th 0.95
5th 0.77
Final Drive: 3.82:1

Autos should dyno in 3rd.
Old 03-27-2005, 11:22 PM
Old Maxima Legend

i really do appreciate the feedback. regarding question #1:

im trying to describe something like from the information you get will it be possible to apply that information into shift points, so when you are racing the 1/4 mile track you know where the best shift points are in your car from the dyno ? make sense ? can this info be found from doing a dyno ?
Old 03-27-2005, 11:32 PM
dot dot dot ...

"~500 rpm after peak hp" .. Credit I30MikeD,

makes perfect sense, you'll be in the "sweet spot" when in the next gear.

There's a threshold as to how far you want to take it, vs how much meat will be left in the powerband after the shift before it begins to drop off again. This is concerning more the 4g with the USIM.
Old 03-28-2005, 09:05 AM
Blown

unless you have a GXE with a speed limiter.....you will hit the speed limiter before redline in fourth gear ( I know). Therefore I have to dyno in third

Originally Posted by JClaw
Actually 4th gen 5-speeds should dyno in 4th gear. Gear ratios:

1st 3.28
2nd 1.85
3rd 1.25
4th 0.95
5th 0.77
Final Drive: 3.82:1

Autos should dyno in 3rd.
Old 03-29-2005, 08:59 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally Posted by the chariot
i really do appreciate the feedback. regarding question #1:

im trying to describe something like from the information you get will it be possible to apply that information into shift points, so when you are racing the 1/4 mile track you know where the best shift points are in your car from the dyno ? make sense ? can this info be found from doing a dyno ?
Calculating shift points is actually pretty complicated and is based on your torque, the rpm that it occurs at, the nature of your powerband, and your gearing. 500rpms past peak doesn't always apply, especially for the higher gears.

Here's the site I used to calculate my shift points:

http://www.bits.nl/re/shiftlight/sl-shiftpoint.htm

These were the points I calculated for my Maxima with the stock intake manifold:

1-2 ~6700rpms (can't do this without the JWT ECU)
2-3 ~6200rpms
3-4 ~5900rpms

These shift points landed me my best ETs and my MPHs went up by 1.5mph.

With the MEVI:

1-2 ~7200rpms
2-3 ~7000rpms
3-4 ~6800rpms
Old 03-29-2005, 09:45 PM
dot dot dot ...

Whats the difference between the brake torque and the shaft torque?
Old 03-31-2005, 02:52 AM
Need A Light?

this is DEFINITELY worth a sticky....don't u agree mods?
Old 07-14-2005, 03:51 PM
Wat

Originally Posted by Ceasars Chariot

_____QUESTIONS_____

1. You note where peak power occurs, then shift enough after it so that you land in the powerband just before the sweet spot in the next gear. For most manual maximas its ~5-700 past peak power. In an auto, you will have to shift at 6600 frim 1-2 then you can put it in D and let the car do the shifting for you (typically programmed to shift at 6250 which is ~750 past peak, but that is to overcome the slightly taller overall gearing)

2) Yes, or something equivalent

3) 6MT = 4th gear
5 MT = 4th gear
4AT = 3rd gear

4) A very well tuned and fast car

4a) you should be able to take vids/pics of your run and the dyno screen. Also, they should be able to print off a run sheet and/or give you a runfile on some form of electronic media

5) For tuning, eddy current or load dynos should be used due to the fact that you can hold the car at any RPM and tune on the fly. For peak power, Inertia dynos should be used. For load dynos, you will want to use a Mustang, and for Inertia the Dynojet 248c should be used.

6) There should be a fan blowing into the radiator. Everything else should be left in the state that the car is going to run in. SAE corrections will take care of the other stuff mentioned.

7) For comparisons, you should dyno each mod one by one. That is, install an intake, go dyno. Exhaust, go dyno, etc..... If you want to compare 2 products, you should install one then dyno. Let the car cool for 15-20 min Install the next one and dyno again.

8) No worse than driving it everyday

9) SAE corrections are used so that there is no "cheating" when you go dyno. IE, if you go to a dyno below sea level the #s will be higher than one at sea level. Or if you go dyno in 100 degree weather, its gonna be lower than one done at 50 degrees. Basically, it levels the playing field.
Old 08-07-2005, 11:16 AM
Brain phuck

How much does a dyno cost?
Old 08-08-2005, 05:47 AM
Blown

Originally Posted by smotz
How much does a dyno cost?
It depends....

where I go its $65/3 pulls with a/f, and its $125/hr with a/f
Old 08-29-2005, 09:35 PM
dot dot dot ...

What A/F method do you use for best results, and by "best" I mean, how much better/accurate are they.

Wide band before main cat, or tail-pipe sniffer ...

I've read on here as well as a few other boards that the sniffer givesvery similar results as the widband upstream does ... so which is actually better, and by how much.
Old 08-29-2005, 10:38 PM
Wat

Tailpipe....mostly because I dont have a wideband installed
Old 09-09-2005, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by E55AMG2

5) For tuning, eddy current or load dynos should be used due to the fact that you can hold the car at any RPM and tune on the fly. For peak power, Inertia dynos should be used. For load dynos, you will want to use a Mustang, and for Inertia the Dynojet 248c should be used.
How would tuning with a WB02 on a quick highway 3rd gear run compare to tuning on a load dyno?
Old 09-09-2005, 10:47 PM
Wat

Originally Posted by nismology
How would tuning with a WB02 on a quick highway 3rd gear run compare to tuning on a load dyno?

If you had that kind of open road, and someone driving the car, it should be similar to an eddy current dyno holding the car at a certain rpm. However, the chances of it happening, and you not being pulled over are slim to none
Old 09-10-2005, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by E55AMG2
If you had that kind of open road, and someone driving the car, it should be similar to an eddy current dyno holding the car at a certain rpm. However, the chances of it happening, and you not being pulled over are slim to none
Haha. My 3rd maxes out at just below 100 MPH so that's nothing too major. But would you agree that tuning on the fly as such is better than tuning on an inertial dyno? I figure that tuning with not only real-world load but with realistic airflow would prove more beneficial than having a car running in artificial conditions on a dyno, no?
Old 09-10-2005, 08:22 AM
Wat

Originally Posted by nismology
Haha. My 3rd maxes out at just below 100 MPH so that's nothing too major. But would you agree that tuning on the fly as such is better than tuning on an inertial dyno? I figure that tuning with not only real-world load but with realistic airflow would prove more beneficial than having a car running in artificial conditions on a dyno, no?

I honestly couldnt say, as Ive never tuned my car on the fly.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:37 AM
dot dot dot ...

I was bored, here you go.

This is all with respect to using a Dynojet

Dyno run data files.

These data files give very helpful insight on the data and also help the user determine exactly what they're looking at. Many conditions can be changed. Such as the X axis(horizontal) variable can be toggled from time, speed or RPM. Obviously we like to see RPM in order to level the field to compare since most cars if not the same year/transmission type etc will have different power at different speeds(MPH) due to different gear ratios, hence the above statement about RPM. The Y axis can also be changed, from A/F, WHP, and/or WTQ. Also, it can be toggled in 3 different windows to view each component (WHP/TQ/AF) in separate windows all with a common X axis.

So, essentially, you can view AF/TQ/HP all with a common data point, whether it be speed, time, or RPM.

The reason who some dyno runfiles do not have an a/f readout is typically because the owner or shop has used an upstream wb and have the data recorded on a laptop or similar device using the wb's own supported software. That's what i do anyhow. Some if not most shops use a 'tailsniffer' o2 sensor. Tailsniffers have been known to read a bit leaner than that of an upstream WB02 (wideband o2) sensor. By upstream I mean closer to the engine and before the main cat. An upstream (WB02) gives a more accurate reading.

Always take your car to its rev limit so you get the most out of your experience. Even if you're not making power at your limit, at least you have something to compare to and improve on at the same time.

Again, for you A34 people w/ AT's, you need to hold the shifter down in order to hold the gear longer. This may also eliminate the torque converter lock-up 'blip'.

When tapping in for the RPM signal, use the small clip and take the signal from the primary wire only. Do NOT loop the entire cable going to the coil. This means you'll need to peel back the cover for the three wires. If you do not do this, you will see missing hp data and torque spikes.

Originally Posted by Nismo87SE
SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers), USA. Power is corrected to reference conditions of 29.23 InHg (99 kPa) of dry air and 77 F (25°C). This SAE standard requires a correction for friction torque. Friction torque can be determined by measurements on special motoring dynamometers (which is only practical in research environments) or can be estimated. When estimates must be used, the SAE standard uses a default Mechanical Efficiency (ME) value of 85%. This is approximately correct at peak torque but not at other engine operating speeds. Some dynamometer systems use the SAE correction factor for atmospheric conditions but do not take mechanical efficiency into consideration at all (i.e. they assume a ME of 100%).

STD or STP. Another power correction standard determined by the SAE. This standard has been stable for a long time and is widely used in the performance industry. Power is corrected to reference conditions of 29.92 InHg (103.3 kPa) of dry air and 60 F (15.5°C). Because the reference conditions include higher pressure and cooler air than the SAE standard, these corrected power numbers will always be about 4 % higher than the SAE power numbers. Friction torque is handled in the same way as in the SAE standard.

ECE (European Community), Europe. The ECE standard is based on the European Directives. Power is corrected to reference conditions of 99 kPa (29.23 InHg) of dry air and 25°C (77 F). Friction torque is not taken into consideration at all.
DIN (Deutsche Industrie Norm), Germany .

The DIN standard is determined by the German automotive industry. Power is corrected to reference conditions of 101.3 kPa (29.33 InHg) of dry air and 20°C (68 F). With the advent of European legislation and standards, national standards such as the DIN (formerly widely used) are now less significant.

Actual You may see this on some charts. What this means is this is the actual horsepower archived on the day tested and no correction factor has been applied. One can assume better or worse results with varying weather conditions.

Last edited by NmexMAX; 04-28-2009 at 08:33 AM.
Old 02-04-2007, 07:14 PM

The problem with street vs load bearing dyno is that you use the dyno to tune. Your target a/f may not produce best torque. To truly tune, you need to adjust timing, as those changes are where the power are. Tuning steadystate on a load bearing dyno will tell you in real time if the change you are making is helping or hurting you.