3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

KS troubles..........and I mean trouble!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2005, 05:32 PM

KS troubles..........and I mean trouble!

well, yesterday I finally replaced the KS on my beloved VE. After putting everything back toghether and getting ready to enjoy a couple more ponies at the wheels, I go to fire up the car and it sputters REALLY bad for about 5 seconds and then dies.
I say to myself, "it's probably because the fuel rails have been drained" So I try it again. I go to fire it up again, and same thing: it sputters really bad, and you can her popping from the intake and then it dies again.
I try the same thing one more time with the same results. At this point; it's obvious something is VERY wrong. I double check all my connections and hoses (from my experience with cars, I'm thinking there is a major vacuum leak somewhere but I can't see anything.)
At this point, I have no choice but to pull everything off. I don't understand, if I can replace my Tranny with no FSM, how is it that i $%^#ed up something so simple as a KS replacement.
Anyway, my question is very simple; any of you other guys have any trouble replacing your KS? From the symptoms that I have described above, are there any obvious things to check for?
Any help would be appreciated for the simple fact that i'm forced to drive my 5.0 now everywhere. I miss my VE!!!!!!!
Old 03-20-2005, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by 5 ltr. beater
well, yesterday I finally replaced the KS on my beloved VE. After putting everything back toghether and getting ready to enjoy a couple more ponies at the wheels, I go to fire up the car and it sputters REALLY bad for about 5 seconds and then dies.
I say to myself, "it's probably because the fuel rails have been drained" So I try it again. I go to fire it up again, and same thing: it sputters really bad, and you can her popping from the intake and then it dies again.
I try the same thing one more time with the same results. At this point; it's obvious something is VERY wrong. I double check all my connections and hoses (from my experience with cars, I'm thinking there is a major vacuum leak somewhere but I can't see anything.)
At this point, I have no choice but to pull everything off. I don't understand, if I can replace my Tranny with no FSM, how is it that i $%^#ed up something so simple as a KS replacement.
Anyway, my question is very simple; any of you other guys have any trouble replacing your KS? From the symptoms that I have described above, are there any obvious things to check for?
Any help would be appreciated for the simple fact that i'm forced to drive my 5.0 now everywhere. I miss my VE!!!!!!!
Forced to drive your 5.0 ?!?!

man i miss my 5.0... way faster than Maxima...

I very much doubt the knock sensor is causing this problem.
I think you are right it does sound like a vacuum leak in the intake... though you would get the same popping if it was starving for gas too...
Old 03-20-2005, 06:12 PM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

a common problem when changing the ks is when you put her back together. do you remember when you put the injector rail back on that there were 6 black o rings that the injectors sat on ? well they dont like to go back on easy and even though you may think they went on right DOUBLE check to make sure that they did it took me 3 tries and a new set of injector seats to get it to seal perfect. if they dont seat right theres your vaccumm leak and what is happening is your motor is running VERY lean thus your stuttering and stalling.....check that out first......
Old 03-20-2005, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Maxima-4DSC
a common problem when changing the ks is when you put her back together. do you remember when you put the injector rail back on that there were 6 black o rings that the injectors sat on ? well they dont like to go back on easy and even though you may think they went on right DOUBLE check to make sure that they did it took me 3 tries and a new set of injector seats to get it to seal perfect. if they dont seat right theres your vaccumm leak and what is happening is your motor is running VERY lean thus your stuttering and stalling.....check that out first......
now that you mention it, that was actually the hardest part of putting it back toghether. I had the hardest time getting those things to seat in. I'll pull them back off and check again.
Old 03-20-2005, 07:38 PM
mod or sell?

there are actually 12 injector o'rings.
most 5.0s are slower than the max.
of course it also depends on the 5.0
Old 03-21-2005, 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
there are actually 12 injector o'rings.
All that PAIN for the useless KS??? I am baffled at my american max bro's... Resistor bypass surgery is 1minute job, then one can drive with 95 octane 100 years and still be on positive in gas costs...

Maybe now is the time to start sellin 'KS' -trunk stickers for maxima people?
Old 03-21-2005, 05:57 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

what are you suppose to lube injector O-rings with?? Motor oil or Gas??
Old 03-21-2005, 07:06 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by Wiking
All that PAIN for the useless KS??? I am baffled at my american max bro's... Resistor bypass surgery is 1minute job, then one can drive with 95 octane 100 years and still be on positive in gas costs...

Maybe now is the time to start sellin 'KS' -trunk stickers for maxima people?
in about a year you can save the cost of the knock sensor in being able to use the lower cost gas.
and the knock sensor will protect your engine from destroying itself.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:08 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by aminus21
what are you suppose to lube injector O-rings with?? Motor oil or Gas??
engine oil, or Vaseline if you have some floating around
Old 03-21-2005, 07:21 AM

in about a year you can save the cost of the knock sensor in being able to use the lower cost gas.

If octane vs timing is incorrect, that kills engine, with/out sensor. KS's the blondie safety device; those are imperative for those who have no clue of either.

Btw. Floatin vaseline is danGerous, crack sLippin dRiverskulls: hair color/qty does not count...
Old 03-21-2005, 07:29 AM
mod or sell?

even if your timing is absolutely perfect, you can't control the screw ups filling your 93 octane tank with 87 octane.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:45 AM

even if your timing is absolutely perfect, you can't control the screw ups filling your 93 octane tank with 87 octane.

Here it has to be done with diesel. Tell u what happens next in this blondie "TV": Service station nerds start to deinstall saab's tank (3hr job) to access (!!?!) that diesel oil. Luckily I get a call an make an loud objection. Just unplug the hose after pump and let the engine do tha job... Alas, the stations instant expert mech kids did not get their salary that day...
Old 03-21-2005, 08:17 AM

This has to be the most blatantly stupid thing I have ever seen on this forum. ALL 5.0's run under 15 seconds stock. Do ANY Maxima's ?? Possibly the newest ones... but even a heavily modded 3rd gen can barely crack 15 sec barrrier, while lightly modded 5spd 5.0's can easily do under 14 seconds...

HUGE difference... these cars are not at all comparable for straight line acceleration. Don't get me wrong.. I love my Maxima already (after 2weeks), but Mustang is/was waaaay faster.
Old 03-21-2005, 08:20 AM

So you mean you go through the trouble to change your knock sensor.. for the sole purpose of running sub-standard gasoline ?? You do realize, that with the loss of torque do to retarded timing, that running a lower octance gas will probably not 'save' you any money, and may in fact cost more...

And once again, if you used proper gas in the first place, the KS is not needed to 'protect' the engine... that is only if you're cheap and think you'll save money by getting cheapo gas.
Old 03-21-2005, 08:23 AM

Take the care to observe that you get the correct grade gas... and should some screw-up still manage to pump the wrong gas, then buy a $4 bottle of octance booster and use a different gas station in the future.
Old 03-21-2005, 08:31 AM
I'm needing a caw

Too bad 93 isn't available in Oregon?

There have been many mildly modded VEs into the med-14s already. Check the 1/4 stickie
Old 03-21-2005, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Too bad 93 isn't available in Oregon?

There have been many mildly modded VEs into the med-14s already. Check the 1/4 stickie
Yah only 92 octance here... that's why I carefully adjust timing and listen. Stock Maxima IS designed for 92.

Hmmm... it depends on your definition of mildy modded I guess. I really don't see this as being an issue up for debate. The cars are 2 different classes for straight line acceleration.
Old 03-21-2005, 08:55 AM
I'm needing a caw

If you have to adjust the timing lower than stock, what's the point? Especially if you have to granny the gas pedal and "listen for knock" Hard to do when some knock is beyond the hearing range of the human ear?

The early 5.0 engines were pretty sorry for 5 liters of displacement. And stock, they were nothing special. It's a shame that the comparison can even be considered, much less have similar times with a family 4-door sedan that's fwd.
Old 03-21-2005, 09:15 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by 92SE_Dave
This has to be the most blatantly stupid thing I have ever seen on this forum. ALL 5.0's run under 15 seconds stock. Do ANY Maxima's ?? Possibly the newest ones... but even a heavily modded 3rd gen can barely crack 15 sec barrrier, while lightly modded 5spd 5.0's can easily do under 14 seconds...

HUGE difference... these cars are not at all comparable for straight line acceleration. Don't get me wrong.. I love my Maxima already (after 2weeks), but Mustang is/was waaaay faster.
not all 5.0s run under 15 sec stock.
I'm sure that if I look I'll find quitwe a few that can't outrun a geo metro.

it depends on the year /options/etc.

but typical of a rustang owner unwilling to admit the car went through a typical power loss phase.
Old 03-21-2005, 09:26 AM
mod or sell?

So you mean you go through the trouble to change your knock sensor.. for the sole purpose of running sub-standard gasoline ?? You do realize, that with the loss of torque do to retarded timing, that running a lower octance gas will probably not 'save' you any money, and may in fact cost more...

And once again, if you used proper gas in the first place, the KS is not needed to 'protect' the engine... that is only if you're cheap and think you'll save money by getting cheapo gas.
life does not always make available what you want, so sometimes you settle for what you need.
I like cheap insurance, and $130 is cheap insurance against doing a $500 motor (If i can find one that cheap)

And since you onviously know better than I do , I will end this conversation and probbaly won't reply to your other threads, I'll let you enjoy your ignorance.
Old 03-21-2005, 09:46 AM
I'm needing a caw

1982 5.0 V8 mustang: 1/4 time: 16.1 sec.
http://www.maximum-cars.com/Cars/Car.php?carnumber=471

Okay let's give the mustang the benefit of the doubt and go with a 1994 model:
1/4 time: 15.0 sec flat.

http://www.maximum-cars.com/Cars/Car.php?carnumber=473
Old 03-21-2005, 09:48 AM

HELLO......This isn't a 5.0 forum........

Lets stick to the topic.

5 ltr. beater, make sure the intake manifold is seated properly, in the back it can sit on a lip that would make it not sit flat.
Old 03-21-2005, 11:14 AM

...And since you onviously know better than I do , I will end this conversation and probbaly won't reply to your other threads, I'll let you enjoy your ignorance.
Please dont do that, or we will lose good future contrasting on issues we all like to read on. I [I think most viewers] greatly approve all viewpoints presented on this forum: debate spreads new angles on discussed items. Nobody is questioning your or jeff's professionalism [I must ask u to forgive my often stupid too sharp word selections].

This KS issue sits on the edge; what u say is really ok for general public [VE is different to VG etcetc]. But. Always there are people who survive agains all odds... and people who perish with life vest on. So lets those of us who want, drive without KS... I have already presented my points why I do it.
Old 03-21-2005, 08:34 PM

not all 5.0s run under 15 sec stock.
I'm sure that if I look I'll find quitwe a few that can't outrun a geo metro.

it depends on the year /options/etc.

but typical of a rustang owner unwilling to admit the car went through a typical power loss phase.
You originally stated that Maxima is faster than MOST 5.0's.

That is a ridiculous assertion.
Old 03-21-2005, 09:07 PM

1982 5.0 V8 mustang: 1/4 time: 16.1 sec.
http://www.maximum-cars.com/Cars/Car.php?carnumber=471

Okay let's give the mustang the benefit of the doubt and go with a 1994 model:
1/4 time: 15.0 sec flat.

http://www.maximum-cars.com/Cars/Car.php?carnumber=473
Ok so you picked 2 of the SLOWEST possible mustangs, 82 is not a HO, it was a very early and underdeveloped motor, while the '94 was the next generation where they added 500 pounds and reduced power output by 10%... yet stiiiiiiillllll... they are faster than Maxima of the same years..

Try a real 5.0 1987 - 1993 (0-60mph in 6.4 seconds bone stock)

I didn't realize we were encompassing all years possible... why not just compare a 2005 mustang to a 1st gen Maxima ??

I'm not trying to start an argument with you... it's just silly to say that Maxima's are faster than Mustangs.
Old 03-21-2005, 10:47 PM
I'm needing a caw

I gave the mustang every benefit I could. A 1994 5.0 V8 vs a 1992 maxima. What do you want?? You got 2 more liters and 2 more pistons. The mustang is ford's sports car right?

In 1995, the 4-gen VQ was doing 0-60 in 6.7 sec.

Ok so you picked 2 of the SLOWEST possible mustangs, 82 is not a HO, it was a very early and underdeveloped motor, while the '94 was the next generation where they added 500 pounds and reduced power output by 10%... yet stiiiiiiillllll... they are faster than Maxima of the same years..

Try a real 5.0 1987 - 1993 (0-60mph in 6.4 seconds bone stock)

I didn't realize we were encompassing all years possible... why not just compare a 2005 mustang to a 1st gen Maxima ??

I'm not trying to start an argument with you... it's just silly to say that Maxima's are faster than Mustangs.
Old 03-22-2005, 06:27 PM

I gave the mustang every benefit I could. A 1994 5.0 V8 vs a 1992 maxima. What do you want?? You got 2 more liters and 2 more pistons. The mustang is ford's sports car right?

In 1995, the 4-gen VQ was doing 0-60 in 6.7 sec.
Like I said you picked 2 of the slowest Mustang's and yet they are still faster than Maxima's of the same year. What are you arguing ? The Mustang is faster period no way around it.. I'm not talking about fuel efficiency or hp/liter ratio, # of pistons, or displacement.. just straight line acceleration and the Mustang has it beat hands down. Also why not compare a 92 Maxima to a 92 Mustang oh.. wait.. that would make too much sense...

Also I took a look at the 1/4 mile thread and the average of 15.5 - 17 seconds was exactly what i expected.. in fact the very fastest one I saw taking a quick look was a heavily modded somewhere in the mid-high 14's.. like I said about what you expect from a STOCK 5.0 HO.
Old 03-22-2005, 07:08 PM

there is a VG nicely modded and boosted that is running 12s....faster than your mustang there boy.

so much for your very fastest statement
Old 03-22-2005, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by tripleGmax
there is a VG nicely modded and boosted that is running 12s....faster than your mustang there boy.

so much for your very fastest statement
Uhm.. I don't see the point of this.... we were talking about the Mustangs and Maximas that you buy and drive... not the ones with blowers on them...

There are streat legal modded Mustangs running in the 10's... big deal.
Old 03-22-2005, 07:30 PM

lol youre so bitter! chill out dude!
Old 03-22-2005, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by tripleGmax
lol youre so bitter! chill out dude!
Yeah I guess I'm still in mourning...

It's ok though I like Maximas alot thats why I got one.
Old 03-22-2005, 08:17 PM

well having a maxima does make you cool in my book.
but corey blade != cool
Old 03-22-2005, 10:14 PM
I'm needing a caw

The 1992 Mustang 5.0 was the lx. I guess Ford has to result to the lightweight version to beat the maxima. Nice accomplishment I guess. It's a shame that a Ford V8 is even close to a Nissan V6. Nissan's V8 in 1992 was making about 280hp with 0.9 liter less.

Like I said you picked 2 of the slowest Mustang's and yet they are still faster than Maxima's of the same year. What are you arguing ? The Mustang is faster period no way around it.. I'm not talking about fuel efficiency or hp/liter ratio, # of pistons, or displacement.. just straight line acceleration and the Mustang has it beat hands down. Also why not compare a 92 Maxima to a 92 Mustang oh.. wait.. that would make too much sense...

Also I took a look at the 1/4 mile thread and the average of 15.5 - 17 seconds was exactly what i expected.. in fact the very fastest one I saw taking a quick look was a heavily modded somewhere in the mid-high 14's.. like I said about what you expect from a STOCK 5.0 HO.
Old 03-22-2005, 11:02 PM

Mustang KS? ...or KustangMS. Mustang is like BMW: Stuck in snow... never collects 60 in winter, if it will, next sec its in the ditch.

But how this ditch relates to KS?
Old 03-23-2005, 06:31 AM
mod or sell?

I'm surprised this thread is still open
it's way

jeff - ford made the 92 lx as a last shot at beating the camaro before the Lt-1 came out and whopped it's a$$

Now lock this thread already!!!