5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Engine noise in speakers

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2001, 11:43 AM

Okay... I've posted on this before and I thought I had it licked.. but apparently not.

I'm running my power down the right hand side of the driver's side floorboard. The RCA cables and speaker cables run down the left side of the driver's side in the wiring conduit. The ground is under 18" and connected to bare metal. I'm still getting the occasional whine out of my speakers... is there some high current in the conduit? I tried a noise suppressor and it didn't work. I would've posted this in the audio section but I'm looking for 5th gen specific info.

Thanks
Old 04-23-2001, 11:52 AM

Have you tried repositioning your ground (to another spot)?
Old 04-23-2001, 12:19 PM

I had the same bad ground loop issue on my last car (Integra) - from multiple amps and other components. I bought a Phoenix Gold terminal block that all ground cables from the components attached to, then from the block one cable to the chassis (to bare metal). I bought hi-gauge cable with hi-quality wires (from a boat shop, by the foot). For all connection points, I used that conductive compound used for battery terminals. It did the trick.
Old 04-23-2001, 12:25 PM

Originally posted by mdeal
Have you tried repositioning your ground (to another spot)?
no... Any suggestions on where it should go?
Old 04-23-2001, 04:36 PM

I might suggest as far away from other wires/connections as possible. A super-good connection is key. I'm not sure of the area you are working in, but keep experimenting, or purchase some type of fancy grounding apparatus.
Old 04-23-2001, 04:38 PM

What about the RCA cables and speaker wire running down the conduit.. is the noise coming from there perhaps? Any way to find out for sure?
Old 04-23-2001, 08:54 PM

Engine noise in speakers

Sorry, I missed your first post regarding the problem. My understanding is that you have sort of custom amplifier somwhere in the rear side of the car and you need to wire it to power supply/speakers/some sort of low audio signal output. I think, the most clean ground is on the battery itself. The most honest way to do grounding would be to dedicate separate isolated high current wire (the same as for "+") for the "-" amplifier power connector and twist it to "+" wire - to minimize magnetic noise from amplifire power consumption itself. Then I'd suggest to put input wires in parallel with theese power ones, I mean - put it near along the same route, but don't twist to anything! Speakers wires should go directly to each speaker without using car body as one of the wires, twisted in pairs, along any possible route. BTW, many of the modern amplifiers have their ouputs isolated from ground. I'd connect the "-" power wire as close to battery as possible with one condition - there shouldn't be any significant current consumer between that point and front radio ground wire, I'd suggest to connect them in one point to battery "-". That way you should be able to avoid any ground noises. Probably too academic, but should work. General idea is to reduce the square between power ground and signal ground and also to eliminate noises from the body of the car.
Old 04-23-2001, 10:34 PM

Try This

try some of these...

1) try grounding the amps to same ground point as the receiver.
2) Disconnect antenna. If noise goes away, then buy an antenna noise filter.
3) (Power off) disconnect rca's from amp. Insert shorting plug (RCA plug with center pin connected to outside shielding) into amp's input jacks. If whine goes away, re-route rca cables. You may also want to try different rca cables...some are better shielded than others.
4) (power off) Disconnect speakers from amp. (Power On) If whine is still present, then re-route speaker wires.
5) Reroute power line away from center of the car but away from rca's and speaker wire.
6) Use thicker ground wire... equal to or thicker than the power wire.

good luck
Old 04-24-2001, 05:34 AM

here's a good flow chart

here's a good flow chart to diagnose and supress noise

http://www.crutchfield.com/infolib/S...sp?id=nonoise&

hope this helps!

I had the same problem and the same wire routing as you, but mine comes from the way I have the amps mounted. I will be repositioning them soon, and my noise will go away, but the damn whine is a pain in the ****!

Good luck.
Old 04-24-2001, 06:35 AM

Re: here's a good flow chart

Originally posted by otter'sMAX
here's a good flow chart to diagnose and supress noise

http://www.crutchfield.com/infolib/S...sp?id=nonoise&

hope this helps!

I had the same problem and the same wire routing as you, but mine comes from the way I have the amps mounted. I will be repositioning them soon, and my noise will go away, but the damn whine is a pain in the ****!

Good luck.
AWESOME! This is just what I needed. THANK YOU!!!
Old 01-31-2002, 01:11 PM

Speaker Noise

In the wife's 2kSE, I've noticed alternator whine from the speakers with the system OFF! This is a stock BOSE (No-Highs, No-Lows, Must be Bose)
Any thoughts on how to cure this???
Thanks,
FredA
Old 01-31-2002, 01:31 PM

Mine is being caused where the power wire and RCS's come back together near the amp. I had them come in from opposite sides as much as possible and that god rid of most of it. It took me about a week to figure this one out and it was really ****ing me off. I can really sympathize with you.
Old 02-01-2002, 03:29 PM

In my case my whine only comes when i have the air condition on. There may still be whine while the aircon is off but its unnoticeable. I have my power wire on the left side and rca's on the right side.
Old 02-01-2002, 07:44 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by punkdork
Okay... I've posted on this before and I thought I had it licked.. but apparently not.

I'm running my power down the right hand side of the driver's side floorboard. The RCA cables and speaker cables run down the left side of the driver's side in the wiring conduit. The ground is under 18" and connected to bare metal. I'm still getting the occasional whine out of my speakers... is there some high current in the conduit? I tried a noise suppressor and it didn't work. I would've posted this in the audio section but I'm looking for 5th gen specific info.

Thanks
Ok, as I've been told, you should not have your RCA cables and speaker cables near each other (besides not having the amp power cable near anything). The way I did it, the speaker cables run down the outsides of the car, the amp power cable runs along the inside drivers seat, and the RCA cables run along the inside passenger's seat. Also, at no point do any of the three cable types ever get closer than a few inches from each other. I haven't had any noise problems.