3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

door panel problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2004, 08:54 PM

door panel problems

door panels are such a pain in the ***. I'm having a problem with my front left door panel. I've been messing around with it lately cause of mods I've been doing to my car audio system. Now I think something's wrong with the clips or what not, as the lower part of the panel won't completely snap onto the frame of the door. Will I have to replace the whole door panel? I'll put up some pics if you want. Thanks
Old 10-26-2004, 08:56 PM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

are the clips broken? are some missing? you can always purchase new clips
Old 10-27-2004, 05:55 PM

i dont' think it's a matter of the clips, because even where the panel sticks out, i replaced the clips, and still it snaps on but whenever i close the door, it comes out again
Old 10-27-2004, 06:07 PM

The clips could easily become stripped or squished (depending on the type, some cars have pseudo-threads, some push in and spread out after they go through the metal...i'm pretty sure max's have the latter but I don't really remember), especially after the panel is taken off and put back on multiple times.

If the pins lose they're flexibilty/threads, they may insert easily because they don't anchor. Don't fret, new pins can be bought rather cheaply at AutoZone/PepBoys/etc. in the HELP! aisle.

I really think this is the case because it's only on the bottom. The sill holds the top in place, pins hold the sides and bottom in place, and the screws hold the middle in place. I had the same type of problem with my Saturn after I removed the panels for the fourth time (speakers, soundproofing, aftermarket power locks, troubleshooting aftermarket power locks)

Edit: Sry didn't see you bought new clips. Perhaps the speakers you installed jet out just a nudge too far that when you close the door the force pushed out the pins? Just a theory, I don't know what kind of work you did. Infinity Reference speakers and similiar models can give that problem because the tweeters extend so far from the cone. They pushed up the dash grilles in a Buick I once owned, gave a pretty ugly bulge and actually snapped a couple grille lines because I was trying to get them to line up straight.