6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.
View Poll Results: Did your struts go bad?
Yes, Front Left replaced no new problems
6.06%
Yes, Front Right replaced no new problems
14.72%
Yes, Rear Left replaced no new problems
0%
Yes, Rear Right replaced no new problems
0.87%
Yes, Both Front Replaced no new problems
19.05%
Yes, All 4 replaced no new problems
2.60%
Yes, Had one/some/all replaced and need new ones
12.12%
Yes, Had one/some/all replaced and waiting for redesign
4.33%
No, no problems at all (maybe wait to vote?!)
27.71%
I don't know (wait to vote then?!)
12.55%
Voters: 231. You may not vote on this poll

Bad Strut Poll

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2004, 09:28 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Bad Strut Poll

I know there is a strut problem with the 6th gens. I think a poll would be nice so that we have ammo against the dealers and nissan when they try to deny the problem.

Most dealers are aware of this problem and will replace them, but this is a lawsuit waiting to happen. Replacing defective parts with defective ones I figure a poll is worth something in court.

Just as an example-
My first set of struts went bad at 1600 miles. It was the front right strut, both fronts were replaced. I am, again, having the same problem at 5400 miles. This set of struts held up a little bit longer. I am debating what to do. Wait for a re-design- long long wait most likely or get them replaced with defective ones again and wait another 3000 miles and change them with the oil? Weeee

But IMHO Nissan needs to get their S#$t together and fix this problem. This is a safety hazard. Just think of what would happen when a spring snaps and sends someone into the ditch on the highway. Just one possible accident. I know there is a small chance of this happening...I am thinking worst case. You can imagine the worst.
Old 09-27-2004, 10:38 AM
SuPeRmOd

There are others, some have replaced them more than once:

strut thread 1

strut thread 2

They will probably just replace with 05 struts since they knew about this problem before production. That's what I would require them to get. They need to be recalled, but of course auto manufacturers must wait for so many deaths or accidents from a part.
Old 09-27-2004, 10:42 AM

I know others have fixed up to 4 times, I read the org many times a day...I had only ten poll options. For the people who have replaced them several times. How many miles in between? What trim level, SE SL?

I am planning on calling nissan soon and need a good point of reference, hence the poll. Maybe even try to get consumer reports in on this or some other watchdog group. Local news is nice too. Nissan needs to stop dragging their feet on a year+ old problem! It's problems like this one and the shimmy issue, which added together, that can lead to loss of life. It all comes down to $$$; when lawsuits become more expensive then the fix, that's when a fix comes out.

For those who are considering a Maxima. They are awesome cars! I cannot describe how sweet the Max is compared to other cars in its class. There are several wrinkles Nissan has in the design that really need to be taken care of. I am just tired of waiting. I spent hard earned money on this car. I want to take full advatange of it. Not have to take it in every week for some small problem. These issues should be out by late second year IMHO. With any new re-design there are issues. Live and learn
Old 09-27-2004, 02:06 PM

So far, I have not had strut problems with my '04 SL. But I decided several months ago that, even if I did, I would somehow endure the problem until I was sure the '05 struts were: 1- better, and 2 - available.

I made that decision based on the number of folks here who went thru the trouble of replacing with OEM '04 struts, only to have the same problems recur.
Old 09-28-2004, 06:44 AM

I've had no problems with mine either. I noticed the last time I had the oil changed the service manager was looking at my struts. I forgot to ask him when I left what he was doing, but I assume he was checking to see if they were leaking.
Old 09-28-2004, 11:05 AM
SuPeRmOd

Would you guy vote so we can get a recall or something? May not amount to anything, but not that hard to vote.
Old 09-29-2004, 08:59 AM

Here's my situation:

At 300 miles I noticed the banging noise coasting over flat roads. I new this was not the way I bought the car so I called the dealer.

I was away on business, so the mrs. brought it to them for me.

They checked and said there was nothing wrong.

I then flew back home, early and went to the dealer myself. This time, they said the right front strut was bad and was replaced.

1 month later, the noise was back.

Went back to the dealer. They said the part they used was bad, would take two weeks to get another one.

I waited two weeks.
After two weeks I called 1-800-Nissan 1 and got a customer rep. They called the dealer and gave me a ticket number.
The part came in. I received no call. I called the dealer. "Oh yes, it is in..."
I brought it back to the dealer. They then said two others were bad and replaced them.
So it took a total of four trips and about four struts to get it right.

No problems since then.
Old 10-01-2004, 03:15 PM

To all with bad struts:

Please take 10 min to go to the National Highway Transportation Safety Administrations website and file a complaint regarding your struts. This is one very, !!!very!!!, good way of documenting problems so that Nissan, as well as the public, will know that people are filing formal, public, complaints!

I cannot stress how good it would be to get a bunch of hard working people together to solve a common problem. The more people that take the time to file complaints the more results we will see; and hopefully force Nissan to address and fix properly.

IMHO this is a good way to relieve our frustration regarding several common problems with the 6th gen. The above link can be used to complain about other problems that won't go away, ahem THE SHIMMY!!!!!!! ahem.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Uddate:10/6/2004
Well,
So far 3 people, and myself, have files a complaint with the NHTSA. Keep filing those complaints.

There are several posts there already with the shimmy issue. Keep those coming too.

I hate to always sound so negative about the Max. As I have said in other posts: The Max is a good car!! No car currently in its class can compare.
However, it suffers from little design flaws which are more annoying than anything else. What makes this very annoying is that we all have spent hard earned cash an expect more from Nissan. Nissan has always put out quality products before. This is an issue with the assembly plant, and perhaps poor testing, regarding the quality of assembly and parts. We'll see what Nissan does.
Old 10-05-2004, 04:51 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have a clunking noise in the front of my 04 and an appointment in the morning to have it evaluated. I will post the dealers response.
Old 10-05-2004, 05:49 PM

Is an 05 Owner having trouble with their struts as well? Is this strictly 04 cars having trouble?
Old 10-05-2004, 07:59 PM
SuPeRmOd

oh MaxMus, don't worry. heard 05 has different ones. So why they don't just replace our's (04) with them? I don't know, that would make too much sense.

keep voting. I want a recall on these things.
Old 10-05-2004, 10:48 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I've known i have a bad strut for about 3 weeks now. Its the new 'it' thing that nissan is using to justify my shimmy although IMHO it's a bit absurd that a bad strut would cause a shimmy. (at least ive never heard that be the case).

I heard nissan was going to issue a TSB on the strut but havent heard anything yet. According to my nissan dealer the strut is on backorder indefinitely (WTF).

You know this car company had a loyal branded customer up until july of this year. Its been a terrible 3 months of shimmy and transmission shift problems. AND NOW the strut. Now i'll be d--ned if I ever sink my money into a Nissan/Infinity again. I seriously hope they get their S-Tuff together at that Tenn plant cuz right now it seems like they're just gluing these things together and praying they hold out unti warranties expire.
Old 10-06-2004, 07:43 AM

i went to the dealer, to get other things looked at. so i talked to the service advisor and told him that i'm a big maxima fan. and i know the rep they have. he immediately knew what i was talking bout and asked me about my struts. this is an obvious problem for them. he also told me that out of the last 10 MAXs he checked, half needed new struts. He was a real nice guy tho. When you wanna ask questions bout the car, never talk to a salesman, make friends with your service advisor. best way to do it.
Old 10-06-2004, 09:53 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I haven't voted, yet, 'cause mine hasn't been replaced. I have an SE and the right front started making the noise at about 8000 miles. I took it in and there's a backorder. The dealer doesn't even know when they'll be available. Mine was the second one in there today alone.
Old 10-06-2004, 11:14 AM

Ditto on my 04SL also....replacing for forth time and waiting (dealer recommended) for the 05 part #....I believe both are now defective.
Old 10-06-2004, 11:43 AM

Had enough and called 800-Nissan1...Allan helped me out and said that about 2 weeks ago he heard that Nissan would be issuing a formal TSB in a month. So that means it should be another 2 weeks b4 hearing from Nissan. Allan said that Nissan is working on making sure they are ready for a recall and have what they need to make it happen. I asked if they are replacing the struts with a new design or what. Allan didn't know. That is the word on struts as of now.
Old 10-07-2004, 09:32 PM

well. thats good to know.
Old 10-08-2004, 08:18 AM

Another dumb question, I'm sure, but my 2000 Max had a squeaking suspension when the weather was cold, basicly winter. My other previous generations never had that problem. To my disappointment, my 04 is starting to exhibit a squeaking tendency now that fall is setting in.

Is that a strut problem? I told you it was a dumb question.
Old 10-08-2004, 01:34 PM

Well this sux...

I got a blown front right strut.

Today I went to the dealer for setting up an appointment. Need to fix:
-Glove box
-Dust behind nav screen
-shimmy

So everything is set, i start driving home.....and i notice a sound over some NEW smooth roads. It's sooooooooo annoying. Can't believe I got a blown strut.

Now I got something to add to that visit of mine.

If I go in more than 3 times for this, I'll say goodbye to the Max. I can live with everything else, but the strut has pushed it. ...dang...and i Like this car too
Old 10-08-2004, 01:35 PM

Be more specific...where is the noise coming from...Which area of the suspension? What speeds will the car squeek at? Can you replicate the problems by applying weight to the fender while the car is parked? I would take it into the dealer since it's under warranty.

The problem might be metal flexing. Do you have any mods on the car?
__________________________________________________ ______________
Update for jasonjm
__________________________________________________ ______________
Take your car in to the dealer...it appears that your struts have gone bad. Vote on the poll and scroll up for the NHTSA link to file a complaint!!!
Old 10-08-2004, 02:02 PM

One user wrote: "I took it to my dealer and it was replaced. Everything was great the rattling noise stopped and the car handled perfectly."

I have the rattling noise.

Yet another user wrote: "i could hear knocking sound from my front struts when i'm going over little bumps"

I have this as well. My drive into work this morning was great, I didnt' feel or hear any symptoms. During my drive home from stopping at the dealer It began.

The steering also feels very lose and when going over some sets of bumps it feels like something is shaking rapidly. It's a very shi*ty feeling and sound. This pisses me off 2x more than the shimmy cause you feel it all the time.
Old 10-08-2004, 02:21 PM
SuPeRmOd

I would of turned right around back to the dealer.

Originally Posted by jasonjm
...During my drive home from stopping at the dealer It began.

The steering also feels very lose and when going over some sets of bumps it feels like something is shaking rapidly. It's a very shi*ty feeling and sound. This pisses me off 2x more than the shimmy cause you feel it all the time.
Old 10-08-2004, 02:32 PM

I just called them up and It will be looked at this thursday. I'm going to tell them to specifically look at the strut.

You know what scares me though... reading the 'cutting out' thread.

Old 10-08-2004, 02:42 PM

What i really don't want is what I had with the 350. Feathering, and zero fix from Nissan. I don't a similiar issue with the Max. Do you feel me on this brothers & sisters?
Old 10-12-2004, 10:15 AM

UPDATE:
So I spoke to Amber, my regional rep, and she said that Nissan has updated he struts to a new part number!! (I am taking my car in this week to replace the struts for a second time. No 4th or 5th go at it like some on the board, but still frustrating )

However, she doesn't know what was fixed and she will not look into the matter because Nissan will not disclose that information to the public. Now I am no lawyer, but when a mass problem is found usually there is public disclosure regarding the problem, what was causing it, and how it was fixed. Any one with a better understanding of the law out there than me? Please feel free to chime in.

To me they are trying to sweep this problem under the rug. Oh, and if Nissan corporate reads this. GOOD!!!! It means they actually care about us, the end user.
Old 10-12-2004, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by msoemax
UPDATE:
So I spoke to Amber, my regional rep, and she said that Nissan has updated he struts to a new part number!! (I am taking my car in this week to replace the struts for a second time. No 4th or 5th go at it like some on the board, but still frustrating )

However, she doesn't know what was fixed and she will not look into the matter because Nissan will not disclose that information to the public. Now I am no lawyer, but when a mass problem is found usually there is public disclosure regarding the problem, what was causing it, and how it was fixed. Any one with a better understanding of the law out there than me? Please feel free to chime in.

To me they are trying to sweep this problem under the rug. Oh, and if Nissan corporate reads this. GOOD!!!! It means they actually care about us, the end user.

do you have the part number for the redesigned struts?
Old 10-12-2004, 09:35 PM

No, perhaps on my paperwork I will know what part was ordered. Or I will ask the service manager to tell me what the new and old part numbers are. He's cool, he should play ball. It's not the dealership I am upset with. It's the folks over at nissan who won't admit that the front end steering and suspension is not up to Nissan quality. Or maybe it is up to USA standards, but this would never fly over in Japan. All I can do is count on my service manager keeping it cool.
Old 10-13-2004, 10:37 AM

This amazes me how some people can have such incredible problems with a car and others have no idea what they're talking about.

I'm one of the second kind ... thank goodness. I have 21,000 miles on my SE and I don't have a hint of a strut problem. I also don't have a shimmy problem. My sunroof hasn't malfunctioned, my brake rotors haven't warped, my glovebox alignment is fine, and I don't have any rattles or squeaks.

Maybe I should find the specific guys that built my car and take them out for a beer.

Mike
Old 10-14-2004, 02:39 PM

There are no new part numbers for new struts as it turns out. They are still using the old SH*T struts on the 04's. I don't know what is going on with the 05's. I am working on getting to the bottom of this entire problem. Twice replaced same strut kit. same defective strut kits!!!!

BTW Kit part number is... 54302-7y425 Strut kit and 54303-7y425 Strut kit.
I cannot find the OEM strut part number. Anyone out there know that? I can't find it in my Service Manual (no not the one that came with the car...the actual service manual).

Does anyone know who else to call aside from 1800-NISSAN1? I will search through the org about people to call at Nissan. I will make this happen...LOL or do the best I can to get the answers we all deserve. I may look into a lawyer!

For those who have had their struts replaced more than once-Please Look at your paper work and post your part number that is the Strut Kit. See if they are the same in other areas.
Old 10-14-2004, 03:08 PM

Well, I took mine in today and they noticed the noise without me commenting about it. They said they had them in stock and were replacing them (had them in stock). I'm guessing that they are the 04s, even though they told me that they were not. Anyway, we shall see how it all pans out. As long as I don't have to pay I'm not going to complain too much.

-Ed
Old 10-14-2004, 06:37 PM

i need to get my struts replaced but i don't want them replacing it with another bad strut
Old 10-14-2004, 08:23 PM

A question for those with bad struts, or a bit more familiarity with the problem...

I haven't noticed much of a problem when driving, but when I back out of the driveway, and turn the steering wheel over, as I drop off the 1" curb at the end of the driveway (even very slowly) I get a bit of a clunk sound coming from the right front--consistently. Is this a symptom of the problem, or is this more likely due to the camber/alignment? I always pull out of my driveway in the same direction, and the right front is always on the outside of the turn when pulling out.

I'm very far away from a dealer so it would help me determine whether or not I should make the trip.
Old 10-15-2004, 02:11 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Manitoba Max - my Max used to clunk at the bottom of my driveway on the right hand side before they replaced my strut.

When i'd go over bumps at a decent speed, i would hear a series of quick muted klunks. It wasn't really loud but i could hear it everytime and it started to get l0ouder and louder as the weeks went by.

I could also push in a downwards motion on the right front fender when stopped and hear the klunking too.

Good luck with yours, Bob
Old 10-15-2004, 02:41 AM

my front struts are getting worse!!! where are the redesigned struts or tokico?!?!?!
Old 10-15-2004, 08:26 AM

Well, It appears that there are no redesigned struts akaxmrxhammer. Good luck getting a straight answer from Nissan regarding the struts. Might as well start exploring other options. Buy a set of struts and have the dealer replace the oem SH*T struts with after markets ones under the warranty and be done with the problem. Make it so you have control over the struts!

I haven't searched for any alternative struts, but from the looks of things there aren't any choices from posts I have read.

As I posted before Go to the NHTSA web site and file a complaint. No one new has posted a complaint there. This is one of the only ways we can formally speed up the process. The skyview problem was brought to daylight by the NHTSA...so go file a report!

BTW I should have not put the last voting option...for those who don't know if their struts are bad... If you go over bumps and you hear the right front strut klunking around it means the strut is bad. If you go over bumps and something sounds loose on the right side...it's the strut. If you go over bumbs and there's a lot of bumps and something is clunking around...you get the point. A good strut will not make a sound. A good strut will only make noise if you hit a really deep pot hole and you bottom out the strut. Otherwise your strut should sound solid. The only road noise you should hear are the tires...they make a distinctive bottle like sound.
Update 10/15/04
I spoke with amber today at Nissan Consumer affairs- She claims that the strut kit will have the same number, however, the struts themselves have been updated.

I say they are full of it. I had my car in for new struts and they make noise when going over bigger bumps and coming to complete stops while hitting bumps. I know the dealership worked on the car because the alignment is way off again (side note on this). So I have a feeling this set of struts is going to last aprox. 1 month. I still have not found out the new strut number.
Good luck finding out this information.

I am sorry if i appear so negative through all of these posts, but I a very frustrated with this whole situation. To spend hard earned money for my max, and for them to keep fixing a problem that can't be fixed because good parts aren't available is unexcusable. Admit there is a problem, say that you are working on a solution, and provide a tenative release date. Be public that you are trying to help the consumer. Back up statements with proof that new parts are out, because the dealers are saying there are no new struts!
Old 10-15-2004, 06:32 PM

Sounds like it might be my struts then, eh. Low mileage on my max, only about 8000 very mild miles. I have actually noticed what feels like a wobbly steering feel as well, when stopping over an uneven road surface. I had a VW that did this, but it had upwards of 200000 on it. At least the dealer network seems to be aware that there is a problem.
Old 10-15-2004, 08:05 PM

Took my Max in this past Thursday for all the TSBs. They did everything and then some but I still have a tire balance issue. Strut is on order and will be mounted in Nov. We'll see if it all goes smoothly...
Old 10-15-2004, 09:48 PM

Holy crap! Got my car back today and I had forgotten how much of a difference good struts make.... On another note the service person mentioned that there were many folks with the same strut problems and that there was a good possibility of a recall. Of course , they will replace mine again if that's the case. If they are talking about it at the local level, I'm guessing Nissan is thinking about it.
Old 10-16-2004, 02:55 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Manitoba Max
Sounds like it might be my struts then, eh. Low mileage on my max, only about 8000 very mild miles. I have actually noticed what feels like a wobbly steering feel as well, when stopping over an uneven road surface. I had a VW that did this, but it had upwards of 200000 on it. At least the dealer network seems to be aware that there is a problem.
Mine only had approx. 6000 miles when it started doing it. I had no problem whatsoever to have it changed at my dealer in Ottawa.

Bob
Old 10-19-2004, 06:55 PM

According to this post the strut problem is not large enough to prompt a recall. Doing the math 48.48% have a problem,36.36 don't, and 15.15 don't know. Eliminating those who don't know(5 people) it leaves 28 total votes. Doing the math again 57% of owners are having a problem and 43 don't.

I know this poll doesn't have a large enough base to hold statistical validity, but it does demostrate that there is a strut problem large enough warranting a TSB at minimum. I pose this question to Nissan. Again, If there is a final fix out there why is there no TSB at minimum?

Let me pose this question too. If this isn't a big problem how do you explain struts failing after as little as 1600 miles. This is not a fluke. Struts failing after a few months indicates there is a serious problem; or am I wrong?!

Quick Reply: Bad Strut Poll