Fluids and Lubricants Motor oil, transmission oil, radiator fluid, power steering fluid, blinker fluid... wait, there is no blinker fluid. Technical discussion and analysis of the different lubricants we use in our cars.

OK to use Water Wetter in cold environment?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2004, 07:55 AM
Getting back to his roots

OK to use Water Wetter in cold environment?

I am going to change my radiator fluid in lieu of my town's annual waste disposal day. I am also putting MT-90 in my tranny, so I ordered a bottle of Water Wetter to throw in my cooling system. I am planning to go with a 50/50 antifreeze/water mix, with Water Wetter substituting for 12 oz of water. Has anyone used water wetter in areas where the temperature drops below freezing? My only concerns are that it may raise the freezing point and cause the engine to take an abnormally long time to get to operating temperature, though by reading Redline's literature about it I don't think it will happen. Anyone care to comment?
Old 09-17-2004, 09:49 PM

Well, I dumped a bottle of it in my car. I also used the new yellow Prestone All Make / All Model antifreeze. Hopefully my cooling system is set for the next 2 years
Old 09-19-2004, 07:40 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I used water wetter in a 1981 MB diesel. It never caused any problems with the antifreeze. I also needed to use a block heater in the winter. I don't see any problems with it.
Old 09-19-2004, 07:59 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Shouldn't be any problems. I keep meaning to use this stuff... I'm due for a coolant change, maybe I'll do it this time
Old 09-21-2004, 10:52 AM

Don't use it - your ECU relays on input form ECT sensor (engine coolant) - if the sensor doesn't reach certain temp - your ECU will delay going into closed loop.
than you will run into all kinds of driveability issues - low gas milage/ failing emmisions.

Today's engines are design to run hotter, that's why maintaining that specific engine temp is very important. Keep your thermostat in good shape, flush coolant , and let the engine do its job.

Nick.
Old 09-21-2004, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by nick
Don't use it - your ECU relays on input form ECT sensor (engine coolant) - if the sensor doesn't reach certain temp - your ECU will delay going into closed loop.
than you will run into all kinds of driveability issues - low gas milage/ failing emmisions.

Today's engines are design to run hotter, that's why maintaining that specific engine temp is very important. Keep your thermostat in good shape, flush coolant , and let the engine do its job.

Nick.

Water Wetter doesn't reduce the temperature THAT much. Also, Redline claims the water wetter actually helps the coolant reach operating temperature quicker because of its improved heat transfer properties. It just keeps the coolant temp on hot days as close to operating temp as possible.
Old 09-21-2004, 11:11 AM

sure, i'm pretty sure it does that , but good,properly maintained cooling system should not need any additives.

I've had it in my car for over a year ( with Dex cool coolant ) no issues .
My brother has 97 Olds Aurora with V8 in it, he had overheating issues in summer especially in heavy traffic. Water Wetter didn't do dang thing for him.

It turned out - he had "lazy" thermostat - we've changed it and car was running cool.

Right now i'm using Red Toyota coolant and she reaches operating temp much quicker than with Dex-cool and water wetter. I have naver had any overheating issues (140K)

Nick.
Old 09-21-2004, 11:22 AM

I wonder what this stuff is for. Some guys on TV said that it can lower the coolant temp by up to 50F. Wow! That must be good, right? No...if my car was supposed to run that cold my thermo would be set to a lower setting. I've never seen either of my cars overheat or even get marginalyl above the ideal temperature setting, which shows to me that the coolant system is never ever running at full tilt; ie, the thermostat is never fully open. Remove your thermostat and you'll notice that even after spirited driving your coolant is not running as hot as at normal temp. But, this is suboptimal, which is exactly why thermostats allow the coolant to get hotter than the coolant system is otherwise capable of keeping it at.

Does anybody have an objective article or anything written about this stuff with a meaningful analysis of it?
Old 09-21-2004, 12:17 PM

http://www.littlebabywebs.com/maxima/maximalbw.html

This guy put a water-wetter alternative in his cooling system and had positive things to say about it. He knows his stuff, so I trust him.

Also, the VE is notorious for suffering from 'heat soak', so I figured anything to help keep the temps down. I can't get his exact analysis of the product because 4dsc.com's archiving system is very primitive. He has a coolant temp gauge, and got consistently lower numbers for operating temp (that were still above the t-stat temp).
Old 10-02-2004, 10:19 AM

I drained my system, threw in 1 bottle of water wetter, then filled the bottle with straight antifreeze/coolant; put that in there. Then the rest withdistilled water. So I barely have any coolant/antifreeze.

My cars been to 45deg mornings and started up fine. Temp guage was where it was supposed to be after running a lil. No problems here.

Jae
Old 10-02-2004, 11:12 AM

Guys, I'm pretty sure WaterWetter isn't going to freak out your ECU or whatnot.

What WaterWetter does is change the surface tension of the coolant. The net effect is that if the coolant ever BOILS (e.g. passing through a localized "hot spot" in the cylinder heads), the WaterWetter helps improve the coolant's efficiency since it loses a lot of efficiency when it's in a gas-state.

http://vmaxoutlaw.com/tech/red_line_waterwetter.htm sorta explains it further below at the HEAT TRANSFER section. It helps migrate boiled coolant away from the metal to allow liquid coolant to continue transferring heat away from the metal surfaces.
Red Line's unique WaterWetter® reduces the surface tension of water by a factor of two, which means that much smaller vapor bubbles will be formed. Vapor bubbles on the metal surface create an insulating layer which impedes heat transfer. Releasing these vapor bubbles from the metal surface can improve the heat transfer properties in this localized boiling region by as much as 15% as shown in Figure 2.
Despite the fact that it improves coolant efficiency, your engine will still heat up to normal operating temperature because your thermostat will force it to happen. The thermostat will throttle coolant flow into the radiator until a certain temperature is reached, ensuring that your engine DOES run at the proper temperature. However, if you ever do some heavy acceleration (track runs, etc.) the WaterWetter may help keep the engine cooler than it would be without it.
Old 10-16-2004, 09:11 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by Mizeree_X
http://www.littlebabywebs.com/maxima/maximalbw.html

This guy put a water-wetter alternative in his cooling system and had positive things to say about it. He knows his stuff, so I trust him.

Also, the VE is notorious for suffering from 'heat soak', so I figured anything to help keep the temps down. I can't get his exact analysis of the product because 4dsc.com's archiving system is very primitive. He has a coolant temp gauge, and got consistently lower numbers for operating temp (that were still above the t-stat temp).
Correct, in my studies, Water Wetter SUCKS! I tested it in Vegas 110 degree temps. Conclusion is... I only saw a decrease in extreme temps (above 220) by 1 degree, if that!

So, I went on to a product that all my bracket racing friends rave about. It's made by Pro Blend. It's called "Stops Overheating", also known as "40 Below". It comes in a big aluminum can and costs between $19 to $25.

I bought one can of that stuff and tested it out in Vegas in extreme city driving. The ambient temp before and after was over 110 degrees. Before, my coolant temps would get to 235 degrees with AC blasting and me racing around town. After, my coolant temps wouldn't get above 221 degrees. That is AMAZING! Just 30 oz of some kind of substance made all that difference.

I saw another Pro Blend product at Pep Boys called "Trans Cool". It's much cheaper at $6. I put that in my tranny fluid and HOLY CRAP, it worked way too much. My city driving tranny temps went from 185 as an extreme to 150 as an extreme. Most of the time, it won't get above 130 degrees in the city. I have a high stall torque converter and auxilary tranny cooler. With all that extra slippage of the converter, you would think my trans temps would be too high. But, in weather less than 95 degrees, I haven't been able to get my transmission temperature above 130 degrees. IMHO, that is fine. But, anything under 100 degrees, then you need to find a way to increase your tranny temps. So, right now, I am having tranny temp problems and I need to disconnect my tranny cooler. This stuff worked a little too well.

I even called Pro Blend and asked them a few questions and let them know how great their product is. The guy on the phone was VERY nice. They are based out of Winston Salem, NC. He told me about a product that they also make called something like "Oil Cool". That will cool your oil temps along with the motor and coolant temps. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm sure it will work just as well as their other products.

If you see anything made by "Pro Blend", then trust it to work!!
Old 10-18-2004, 08:24 AM

I also had "40-Below" in 2 of my previous cars. I don't have exact numbers like Aaron does... however I noticed it took a lil longer to get up to normal operating temps.

Jae