4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

CALI SPEC??? YOU NEED TO READ ThiS (message courtesy of 99se5spd)

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2004, 08:53 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

CALI SPEC??? YOU NEED TO READ ThiS (message courtesy of 99se5spd)

I need to replace my knock sensor and have a cali spec 99 maxima. I had given up and decided to bring it to the dealer when a new member "99se5spd" sent me a pm with these instructions to change the knock sensors in our cars....

hey, i just bought a 99.5 se cali about 2 months ago (my first nissan..took me 8 months to find a 99 5spd, and im loving it) any way heres what i did. i had to remove the whole air box assembly(intake and all) and the battery just to get enough room to work, i also disconnected the ks harness (from in front of the valve cover) i used bout 18" of 1/4 extentions with a universal joint and a shallow 10mm (or 12mm i dont remember) socket and fished it down there and backed the bolt out that way, using a telescoping magnet to retrieve the bolt ( i had to find a pretty stong magnet) and used the harness to pull out the ks. now heres the tricky part getting it back in, well i struggled for like 4 hours after calling everyone i knew with small hands noone could fit in ther i thought i was gonna have to pull the intake manifold, and way i took a coat hanger and straightened it out and put about a 1/2" 90 degree bend on the end with the new ks plugged into the harness use masking tape (have to use masking tape) and put the bend on the end of the coat hanger on the top side of the plug on the ks and tape it on (not too much tape, maybe wrap it once around) and 2 more pieces on the harness itself put the bolt back in the ks and tape that on too (again not too much or you cant get the socket on the head of the bolt) now you can fish that into the valley, the bend is so you have control over the rotation of the ks now you can get it where it needs to be and hold it there while you get the socket down there, its tricky but not too hard, so when its all tight you just carefully pull the coat hanger off ( i had to use a long flathead screwdriver to cut the tape, but thats why you dont want to put too much on. and your all done, it took my 5 hours but 4 of that was trying to cram my hand in there. i hope this helps and questions let me know! im new here so i dont relly know how to post but if you can you have my permission to post this (but gimme some credit! good luck
Old 06-05-2004, 07:30 AM

I have to do mine and i took my upper and lower intake off in about 2 hours. I thought about trying to fish my way in there but wanted to port and polish the plenum and lower manifold, i also think you need to take it off to do the timing chain, so i took it off anyways---not too bad of a job. hope it will fix my starting and firing problems
Old 06-05-2004, 08:29 AM
will fly for food

why did nissan have to make everything with cali-spec more complicated?
Old 06-05-2004, 04:17 PM

whats a plenum????? how do u get the manifold gaskets??? did you replace yours??? is it worth doing for me, my car is old (99) and it is dirty in the engine, do u polish the outside or inside of the manifold....
Old 06-05-2004, 04:23 PM

ouch that is alot of work, my mechanic only charged me $68.05 to do it. on my 99 SE-L. nice write up always nice to see people taking the time to help others, if i had seen this two weeks ago i would have gave it a shot myself.
Old 06-05-2004, 05:29 PM

my mechanic charged 20 buck to replace KS + oil change today. at first it was 50 but i guess it took him less then he thought
Old 06-05-2004, 08:30 PM

what is cali spec?
Old 06-06-2004, 03:46 AM
Kevlo for President

Originally Posted by Kolyan
my mechanic charged 20 buck to replace KS + oil change today. at first it was 50 but i guess it took him less then he thought

That's IT!!!!! OMG that is cheap. All the cuts on my hand, man I would charge at least $50.

shibbys - Read the FAQ's
Old 06-06-2004, 05:54 AM

For any guys in the Northeast or NY area, Jeff @ Maximumtuning did mine for $20
Old 06-06-2004, 08:58 AM
will fly for food

Originally Posted by shibbys
what is cali spec?
california spec emission system-- more sensors to break, more BS to deal with, "cleaner air"

Old 06-06-2004, 08:58 AM

really? mine is cali spec, and it took about 10 minutes to get the KS out. about 20 to get it back in though :P i dropped it on the way in.
Old 06-06-2004, 09:21 AM

fiero, lets hear how you did it then??? ive got more than a half hour to burn... please list tools you used, as well as what needed to be removed in order to do this.

Thanks for your input
Old 06-06-2004, 09:22 AM

cali spec in a 96 max??? is this true??
Old 06-06-2004, 09:31 AM
Kevlo for President

Yes............
Old 06-06-2004, 12:11 PM

12" extension, a socket, and some oil-
i used the extension to loosen the KS - smeared oil on my hand, and squeezed my hand in there to grab the KS- look in there, its pretty self explanatory?
Old 06-06-2004, 03:46 PM

you must have SMALL hands, my hands will not fit regardless of the ammount of oil on my hands....
Old 06-12-2004, 08:43 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Thats cause the 96 max doesnt have the swish valve in the way...
Old 06-13-2004, 07:23 AM

has anyone else tried this and had good luck??? i am still debating whether it is a project i can tackle.... i tried the other day, and got the socket on the bolt, but as much as i tried, i couldnt loosen the bolt AT ALL...
Old 06-13-2004, 07:38 AM
I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake

Originally Posted by CUSEMAX
whats a plenum????? how do u get the manifold gaskets??? did you replace yours??? is it worth doing for me, my car is old (99) and it is dirty in the engine, do u polish the outside or inside of the manifold....
The plenum is the manifold. You can get a manifold gasket at a nissan dealership. (7-8bucks) only if your getting a ghost code 0304 from your ECU should it be worth doing. polish the outside, and port the inside.(flush)
Old 06-13-2004, 08:02 AM
Hooooooonda.....

What? If you remove the intake manifold you better replace the gasket. You're supposed to replace it everytime the manifold is taken off.
Old 06-13-2004, 08:58 AM
I like Maximas

ok guys, here's the info about 99 cali specs. (i have one)
all the california models pre 99 do not have the NLEV equipment, they only come with a stricter emissions cat converter. in 99 nissan made the California Spec Maxima (has 4 oxygen sensors as opposed to 2 in regular maxes)

the california spec emissions includes butterfly valves in the LOWER Intake Manifold (the are closed below 3200 rpm and then open to let more air in after) and an extra oxygen sensor for the front bank pre-cat in the y-pipe (that's why 99 cali y-pipes are different, they keep the front pre-cat)

now on any maxima it's relatively easy to remove the KS, on the 99 calis there's a vacuum regulator??? that is mounted in place of the hole for the KS installation unless it's possible to remove it, installing the KS can only be done by removing the manifolds.

if you want to try it: the upper is very easy to take off there are 8 bolts total but for the lower you will need to remove the injectors and the fuel rails to get it out and that's a PITA in my book.
Old 07-31-2005, 06:54 PM
99Automagic

Originally Posted by vipervadim
now on any maxima it's relatively easy to remove the KS, on the 99 calis there's a vacuum regulator??? that is mounted in place of the hole for the KS installation unless it's possible to remove it, installing the KS can only be done by removing the manifolds.
That's what I ran into today when I attempted the ks on my 99 cali spec. There are 2 bolts holding that part down. I'm gonna try removing that tomorrow when i give the ks another try. I hope that doesn't throw anything off on the engine. Anybody have any idea what effects that may have on the engine? I don't wanna move it and then find out later that it needs to be adjusted or some sheat.

Edit: Didn't realize this thread was so old.

EDIT 2: That part that's in the way of accessing the ks on the 99 cali specs is called the "swirl control valve actuator". I don't foresee any problems arising from moving that part. Maybe someone else thinks diff?

Old 07-31-2005, 07:58 PM
suicidalspd99

Honestly I have never had a problem with my KS. Is this something that should be changed with maintence, or just when it throws the code? I hear people talk about it all the time but never had a problem. IDk maybe my luck.

Old 07-31-2005, 08:06 PM
99Automagic

Originally Posted by suicidalspd99
Honestly I have never had a problem with my KS. Is this something that should be changed with maintence, or just when it throws the code? I hear people talk about it all the time but never had a problem. IDk maybe my luck.

Just when it throws a code. I checked the codes on my car one day just for the hell of it, and caught the ks code. I have reset it and have not had it come up yet. But since I've seen the code once, and I'm pretty bored at the moment, I decided to change it. Haven't had luck with it though. Will try again tomorrow.

Old 08-01-2005, 02:34 AM
99Automagic

Bumping this, hoping someone could enlighten me on the swirl control valve actuator. Can it be removed easily without messing up the setting?

Old 08-01-2005, 04:25 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally Posted by 99Automagic
Bumping this, hoping someone could enlighten me on the swirl control valve actuator. Can it be removed easily without messing up the setting?
Yes, just unbolt the vacuum actuator and move it out of the way.
Old 08-01-2005, 04:55 AM
99Automagic

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
Yes, just unbolt the vacuum actuator and move it out of the way.

You're 42 yrs old, with over 9k posts. I'll take your word for it. Thanks man.

Old 08-01-2005, 04:56 AM

After working on a 99 this past weekend, I'm glad I don't own one.
Old 08-01-2005, 04:59 AM
99Automagic

Originally Posted by deezo
After working on a 99 this past weekend, I'm glad I don't own one.

Seems ironic that you say that, and I have the 99 cali spec. Did I mention I changed my own spark plugs for the first time ever in my life last month?

Old 08-02-2005, 02:22 PM
99Automagic

Just got my ks done on my 99 cali spec. It was a royal biotch to say the least, but it's done. It took me 2 hours, including clean up. Unbolted the swirl control actuator and moved it out of the way. That gives you just enough room to aim a flash light in there and see what you're doing. Also removed the intake to get enough working space. The rest of the procedure was done exactly like "99se5spd" had said. Everyone with a 99 cali spec should thank this man.

Old 10-22-2005, 07:52 PM

How hard is it to install the knock sensor with just a couple wrenches screwdrivers??
That's all I got.

Also, that sensor/valve thing thats blocking your access to the knock sensor, the "swirl valve"? It has a green plug and 3 small hoses hooked to it...I unbolted it but I couldn't get those frucking hoses off without breaking them - so I left it on there, it pissed me off big time.

What would a nissan dealership charge for installation? How much could they honestly charge, with regular technician skill?
Old 10-22-2005, 08:12 PM
Well I should wrap this up before I start to ramble.

Originally Posted by CUSEMAX
I need to replace my knock sensor and have a cali spec 99 maxima. I had given up and decided to bring it to the dealer when a new member "99se5spd" sent me a pm with these instructions to change the knock sensors in our cars....

hey, i just bought a 99.5 se cali about 2 months ago (my first nissan..took me 8 months to find a 99 5spd, and im loving it) any way heres what i did. i had to remove the whole air box assembly(intake and all) and the battery just to get enough room to work, i also disconnected the ks harness (from in front of the valve cover) i used bout 18" of 1/4 extentions with a universal joint and a shallow 10mm (or 12mm i dont remember) socket and fished it down there and backed the bolt out that way, using a telescoping magnet to retrieve the bolt ( i had to find a pretty stong magnet) and used the harness to pull out the ks. now heres the tricky part getting it back in, well i struggled for like 4 hours after calling everyone i knew with small hands noone could fit in ther i thought i was gonna have to pull the intake manifold, and way i took a coat hanger and straightened it out and put about a 1/2" 90 degree bend on the end with the new ks plugged into the harness use masking tape (have to use masking tape) and put the bend on the end of the coat hanger on the top side of the plug on the ks and tape it on (not too much tape, maybe wrap it once around) and 2 more pieces on the harness itself put the bolt back in the ks and tape that on too (again not too much or you cant get the socket on the head of the bolt) now you can fish that into the valley, the bend is so you have control over the rotation of the ks now you can get it where it needs to be and hold it there while you get the socket down there, its tricky but not too hard, so when its all tight you just carefully pull the coat hanger off ( i had to use a long flathead screwdriver to cut the tape, but thats why you dont want to put too much on. and your all done, it took my 5 hours but 4 of that was trying to cram my hand in there. i hope this helps and questions let me know! im new here so i dont relly know how to post but if you can you have my permission to post this (but gimme some credit! good luck
Great Job, I took my car to http://maximumtuning.net/ to have my KS replaced. Jeff did it for me in 40 Min with out taking the manifold off. It is pain in the A$$ I have no Idea why Nissan changed it for 99.
Old 11-05-2005, 05:02 AM

The plenum is the manifold. You can get a manifold gasket at a nissan dealership. (7-8bucks) only if your getting a ghost code 0304 from your ECU should it be worth doing. polish the outside, and port the inside.(flush)

what do you mean a ghost code 0304? im getting that along with a 0303(front left heated 02)
Old 11-05-2005, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by mjb95maxse
what do you mean a ghost code 0304? im getting that along with a 0303(front left heated 02)

Ghost code = a code that does not trip a cel light but is stored in the ecu. If you didnt have you o2 code, your cel would not be light up, but if you pulled codes, you'd get an 0304. Since you have the o2 code, you'll find both the ks code as well as the o2 code.
Old 11-05-2005, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by mjb95maxse
polish the outside, and port the inside.(flush)

Porting the UIM, Is it really woth all the trouble? Any substantial gains, or benefits. Beside being nice and clean inside and out? Kinda curious, I have been thinking about doing it to my 99.5 CAL/NLEV.
Old 11-05-2005, 07:33 AM

man... I must have done something wrong.... all i did was get a u-joint and extension, shine a light down there and slap the socket on the bolt and pull it off. put the bolt through the new KS and shove it back down there.. took me 5 minutes. serriously... did I forget something?
Old 11-05-2005, 07:50 AM
99Automagic

Originally Posted by the_3d_man
man... I must have done something wrong.... all i did was get a u-joint and extension, shine a light down there and slap the socket on the bolt and pull it off. put the bolt through the new KS and shove it back down there.. took me 5 minutes. serriously... did I forget something?
Nope, you didn't miss anything. You have a 97 so it shouldn't take you too long to do in the first place. It's only the people that own a 99 cali spec that ends up running into trouble. Even with the swirl valve control actuator in the way on the 99 cali spec, you should not have to remove the IM. I personally did not.

Old 11-09-2005, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by 99Automagic
It's only the people that own a 99 cali spec that ends up running into trouble. Even with the swirl valve control actuator in the way on the 99 cali spec, you should not have to remove the IM. I personally did not.
After reading all the posts about the KS install for a 99 Cali spec, I was determined to do the job myself. I received my new KS yesterday and was excited to install it after work today.

I suddenly got depressed that I couldn't even see the damn thing to save my life! I flashed lights in the area where the KS should be located but to no avail. I traced the sub-harness but it leads to somewhere below the manifold.

I thought I've read in the posts that the KS is visible, although not readily. I thought I was armed with all the info needed to replace the KS.

I just ordered a service manual only to find out that it recommends taking out the manifold.

Can anybody confirm that the KS can be seen on a 99 Cali Spec Max?

Thanks.
Old 11-10-2005, 04:02 AM
99Automagic

yes it can. Just look harder.

Old 11-20-2005, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by car_boy_16
How hard is it to install the knock sensor with just a couple wrenches and screwdrivers??
That's all I got.
Anyone?...

Quick Reply: CALI SPEC??? YOU NEED TO READ ThiS (message courtesy of 99se5spd)