6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

6th Gen Maxima Projected Performance Numbers via CarTest2000

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2003, 09:30 AM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

6th Gen Maxima Projected Performance Numbers via CarTest2000

I've finally gotten full models created for the 2004 Maxima's in CarTest2000 and have the data up for them to share with you all.

First a few little notes. The curb weights are higher than what you might expect, but this is due to compensation for the heavier wheels, especially for the 18" rims on the SE models. Also, these models make the assumption that the engine is actually putting out power as-rated by Nissan. For the 02/03 models, Nissan numbers seemed to be a little optimistic on the power, but a good bit conservative on the torque. So for now these are just preliminary estimates. After people get the cars broken in, down the track, and on the dyno is when we'll really know what the cars are capable of, so consider this just a teaser

I'll start off with the 2004 3.5SE with the 6spd manual.

Specifications

Performance

Analysis

The gearing on the 6spd is unchanged, except for a shorter final drive ratio to compensate for the larger diameter of the tires. As for performance, this is more or less equivalent to the 02/03 6spds, assuming the engine is making the power that Nissan says it is. If they come up short and the engine is optimistically rated like before, expect it to be a little bit slower than this. These times are a lot faster than what the mags got as far as the ET, but it assumes optimal shift points, very fast shifting, a well-behaved launch, and a NON-BUGGY electronic throttle control. I believe it was C&D that complained that they could never get a good launch because the ETC was acting up and lagging quite badly on them. They tested a pre-production car, so hopefully Nissan will get these issues worked out on full-production models. The mags also tested the Elite package equipped Maxima which will likely be the heaviest by a good amount.
Old 02-27-2003, 09:36 AM

2004 Maxima 3.5SE 5AT

Next up we have the 2004 3.5SE with the new 5spd Automagic.

Specifications

Performance

Analysis

CarTest2000 estimated a HORRIBLE 2.50 60' time. This is one area where the program has a lot of trouble. There are a lot of dynamics involved in estimating weight transfer, torque converter stall/slip, and wheelspin, so I usually take the 60' times like a grain of salt and make corrections based on what was simulated. The 15.05 will easily become a mid/high-14 ET with a better launch, if possible. The 94-95 mph trap is much higher than the 02/03 automagics, thanks mostly to the shorter gearing. 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear are all much shorter now and performance optimized thanks to the added flexibility given to designers when you have 5 gears to work with instead of only 4. 4th gear will now give some decent acceleration at higher speeds, and 5th is the economy "overdrive" gear, even though it isn't technically on overdrive anymore. It's 1.018:1, but the final drive is now a very tall 2.44:1, vs 3.789:1 for the 4AT.
Old 02-27-2003, 09:37 AM

2004 Maxima 3.5SL 4AT

Finally we have the 3.5SL with the carried over 4spd Automagic tranny.

Specifications

Performance

Analysis

This is the "luxo-cruiser" Maxima. It's the heaviest model of the three, but maybe only on paper. Whereas the SE models use larger and probably heavier 18x7.5" rims, the 3.5SL still uses 17x7" rims which will undoubtedly have a much smaller unsprung weight. But like before, the 4AT still has very wide and tall gearing, and this is what will ultimately hold the car back. It should still be able to hit high-14's at the track stock like the 02/03's, but the car will still be hitting the very tall 3rd gear before the 1/4 mile mark and won't be able to pull nearly as strongly, resulting in a 2-3 mph slower trap speed than the 3.5SE of only 92 mph. I suspect that the majority of Maxima.org members that are interested in performance in their 4 door sedans will instead opt for the 3.5SE with the 5AT, as it has a very clear performance advantage. But the 4AT SL model is still no slouch when it comes to performance.