4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Pics of modded 97+ center console. Change holder added...

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2003, 07:11 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Pics of modded 97+ center console. Change holder added...

I am so proud of my change holder in my 1997 center console. I have a 96 GLE< but I wanted the 97 cupholders, so I switched. While I was doing it, I added the change holders from my 96. It looks 100% stock and now gives me the best of both worlds. Check it out:

Old 01-02-2003, 07:15 AM
Jedi Knight

looks nice...here in Philly...thats an invite for the crack heads to break into my whip....I'm KEWL!
Old 01-02-2003, 07:23 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally posted by nupe500
looks nice...here in Philly...thats an invite for the crack heads to break into my whip....I'm KEWL!
LOL...If they need the money that badly, I am in trouble. But then again, I don't live in Philly. I have a dozen car guardians. I fix the bikes/scooters/skateboards of all the little kids in my apartmetn complex. They all watch my car for me. And all of their parents do as well. I think I am the only person in the building who owns tools, so they are all nice to me.
Old 01-02-2003, 08:03 AM

Originally posted by phenryiv1

LOL...If they need the money that badly, I am in trouble. But then again, I don't live in Philly. I have a dozen car guardians. I fix the bikes/scooters/skateboards of all the little kids in my apartmetn complex. They all watch my car for me. And all of their parents do as well. I think I am the only person in the building who owns tools, so they are all nice to me.
looks good.
Old 01-02-2003, 09:50 AM

Man, I just use my rear cup holder as a change holder. Can you get those change holders anywhere? Or would I have to strip them from an older Max?
Old 01-02-2003, 09:53 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally posted by MacGyver265
Man, I just use my rear cup holder as a change holder. Can you get those change holders anywhere? Or would I have to strip them from an older Max?
You would prob have to strip them. Ask around, there are always guys making junkyard runs. They could surely snag you a pair.

Maybe other Nissan vehicles have them as well. I don't think they would cost much from a dealer, but it would probably be a pain to get a PN on them...
Old 01-02-2003, 10:34 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

That is awesome! I want to do the same thing!

How did you cut the holes? Just a dremmel tool? When you look at the center console from the bottom, are there pre-cuts for the holes already? If not, you did a great job getting them perfectly lined up...

Did you have to glue the change holders in there or do they snap in the hole with some sort of tabs or something?
Old 01-02-2003, 11:17 AM

WHat did you do with your heated seat switches? I'm assuming your GLE cam with heated seats right?

Kevin
Old 01-02-2003, 11:55 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally posted by co_maxima98
That is awesome! I want to do the same thing!

How did you cut the holes? Just a dremmel tool? When you look at the center console from the bottom, are there pre-cuts for the holes already? If not, you did a great job getting them perfectly lined up...

Did you have to glue the change holders in there or do they snap in the hole with some sort of tabs or something?
Thanks for the compliments. I flipped it over and the plastic on the bottom was already scored (marked) for where the cuts needed to be. I used a dermel tool fo rpart of it, but then the battery died and I just used an exacto/utility knife. With a sharp knife, it went pretty fast. My advice is that you start with the blade in the CORNER and work away. That way you do not overshoot the corner and cut where you did not mean to. I could not have done the corners properly with the dermel anyway, so in the end the utility knife was the best thing. I put the point in the corner with the cutting edge facing in the direction I wanted to cut and just applied pressure in a downward direction.

There is no glue there, they just snap into the holes that i cut. I had to do a little little filing to make sure that they snap in, but it went really smoothly.

Originally posted by Kevin
WHat did you do with your heated seat switches? I'm assuming your GLE cam with heated seats right?

Kevin
Nope, no heated seats on my GLE. No heated mirrors, either...
Old 01-02-2003, 12:02 PM
Mod her. Ate her.

Something else I just thought of...somewhere on the bottom of the console, ther eis a space for another change holder. I think it is closer to the front. I did not want to have it looking odd all out there by itself, but for those of you who just want 1, or who have heated seats, this might be an option to explore.
Old 01-02-2003, 03:41 PM

The change holders are nice but I would rather have these in the holes --

As you can tell from the pic I shouldn't be allowed to touch a dremel

Heated seats came with the cold weather package up to 97 and the deluxe seating package on 98-99, these are the only packages that where not standard on the GLE. My seats are out of a 97 Max, I think heated cloth seats are pretty rare.
Old 01-03-2003, 06:40 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally posted by Anachronism
The change holders are nice but I would rather have these in the holes --

As you can tell from the pic I shouldn't be allowed to touch a dremel

Heated seats came with the cold weather package up to 97 and the deluxe seating package on 98-99, these are the only packages that where not standard on the GLE. My seats are out of a 97 Max, I think heated cloth seats are pretty rare.
I am with you on the heated seats thing, though you did not do badly on the dremel-ing. It looks 99% stock. I wish I had the seat heaters, but I am not about to go out looking fo ra set. I would rather have heated mirrors, first.
Old 01-03-2003, 07:54 AM

I am with you on the heated seats thing, though you did not do badly on the dremel-ing. It looks 99% stock. I wish I had the seat heaters, but I am not about to go out looking fo ra set. I would rather have heated mirrors, first.
Man, heated mirrors would rule. I'm going to have to live with Rain-Xing them all the damn time though. I saw on an OEM car parts replacement website that the mirrors are not that expensive. Does anyone know if all Maxes come with the wiring in place already like the foglights? Or would that be something you'd have to do a complete install on? The other thing is, you'd have to get the mirrors painted.
Old 01-03-2003, 09:37 AM
Sports Button FTW

hey bro, haha, see u doing upgrades eh? that's cool, it looks great! Hey 1 question, what is that thing that flips out next to the cigarette lighter? thats where i always keep my change...isn't that the change holder? or a ash tray? i always used it to hold my change...
Old 01-03-2003, 10:36 AM

Originally posted by meccanoble

hey bro, haha, see u doing upgrades eh? that's cool, it looks great! Hey 1 question, what is that thing that flips out next to the cigarette lighter? thats where i always keep my change...isn't that the change holder? or a ash tray? i always used it to hold my change...
Yes, That is an ashtray. I don't use it for anything, its too damn hard to get my fingers in there to grab change all the time. I use the pop out drawer to hold a couple pens and my gas receipts with my gas mileage on them. I just replaced my fuel filter so hopefully my mileage will go up on my 2000 mile round trip over the next week.
Old 01-03-2003, 11:53 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally posted by meccanoble

I use it to hold the cap to the 12V socket that is right beside it, or i use it to hold my cell phone. Not much else to use it for...
Old 01-03-2003, 12:35 PM

I did the hole for the drivers side seat switch first, when I did a test fit the switch fit so tight I decided to leave it. When I was making the hole for the passenger side switch I rubbed the mandrel (i think) of the dremel against the driver side switch making the big gouge. That scratch on the center console is also from the dremel. It was cold and getting dark and I just wanted to get them hooked up.
Old 01-03-2003, 12:51 PM

good job, and yes it looks stock (which in this case is a very good thing)
Old 01-04-2003, 07:13 PM
Licensed to Spell

Re: Pics of modded 97+ center console. Change holder added...

I am so proud of my change holder in my 1997 center console. I have a 96 GLE< but I wanted the 97 cupholders, so I switched. While I was doing it, I added the change holders from my 96. It looks 100% stock and now gives me the best of both worlds. Check it out:
The '95/'96 has three coin holders, right? Just curious, why did you swap to a '97/'99 console? Only for the cupholders or are there any other benefits? From the picture, the '97 cupholders don't appear to hold any bigger of a drink that '96. In fact, they look like they may be less efficent. For instance, I can place 32 and even some 44 oz. drinks in my cupholder if the cups have a tapered bottom. The lid on the '97 cupholder seems like it would prevent that. Just curious if there are other benefits (ex. a larger console storage). Looks good, nice job.
Old 01-06-2003, 06:14 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Re: Re: Pics of modded 97+ center console. Change holder added...

Originally posted by ptatohed

The '95/'96 has three coin holders, right? Just curious, why did you swap to a '97/'99 console? Only for the cupholders or are there any other benefits? From the picture, the '97 cupholders don't appear to hold any bigger of a drink that '96. In fact, they look like they may be less efficent. For instance, I can place 32 and even some 44 oz. drinks in my cupholder if the cups have a tapered bottom. The lid on the '97 cupholder seems like it would prevent that. Just curious if there are other benefits (ex. a larger console storage). Looks good, nice job.
While the holders look to be less efficient. they are actually much better to use. Mostly this is because of the distance between the actual cupholders. When you look at the 96, it has 2 squarish openings, but they are close together. Put 2 32oz cups in there and they will have to tilt outward to stay in there, thus spilling part of the drink if overfilled. Now look at the pics of the 97- the space there is sufficient to allow the cups to sit far enough apart to sit up straight.

So far so good- most fastfood and convenience cups have fit w/o a problem. Also, the 97 holes are deeper, givign them a better "hold" on the bottom of the cup.
Old 01-06-2003, 08:23 AM
Licensed to Spell

Re: Re: Re: Pics of modded 97+ center console. Change holder added...

While the holders look to be less efficient. they are actually much better to use. Mostly this is because of the distance between the actual cupholders. When you look at the 96, it has 2 squarish openings, but they are close together. Put 2 32oz cups in there and they will have to tilt outward to stay in there, thus spilling part of the drink if overfilled. Now look at the pics of the 97- the space there is sufficient to allow the cups to sit far enough apart to sit up straight.

So far so good- most fastfood and convenience cups have fit w/o a problem. Also, the 97 holes are deeper, givign them a better "hold" on the bottom of the cup.

So there are no other benefits from a '97/'99 console other than the cupholders? So if you have a tapered cup, it still fits even with the cupholder door in the way? One last question. Do you still have the cupholder that goes in the console like the '96s? Thanks.
Old 01-06-2003, 08:37 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Pics of modded 97+ center console. Change holder added...

So there are no other benefits from a '97/'99 console other than the cupholders? So if you have a tapered cup, it still fits even with the cupholder door in the way? One last question. Do you still have the cupholder that goes in the console like the '96s? Thanks.
No real benefits, other than that. Actually, if you don't add the changeholders like I did , you lose a small amount of functionality. I really like the upgrade, though. One of those little things that makes life more convenient. I have no trouble with tapered cups. They lid folds way out of the way. It does not get in the way at all.

And no, I do not have it anymore. I sold the lid and e-brake boot on eBay and the rest of the console to a guy who had a 95. The 95 lacks the center divider at all...
Old 01-06-2003, 08:50 AM
Licensed to Spell

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Pics of modded 97+ center console. Change holder added...

No real benefits, other than that. Actually, if you don't add the changeholders like I did , you lose a small amount of functionality. I really like the upgrade, though. One of those little things that makes life more convenient. I have no trouble with tapered cups. They lid folds way out of the way. It does not get in the way at all.

And no, I do not have it anymore. I sold the lid and e-brake boot on eBay and the rest of the console to a guy who had a 95. The 95 lacks the center divider at all...

phen, I didn't necesarily mean you specifically. I just meant do the '97/'99 consoles have (or are they capable of having) the '96 cupholder inside the armrest storage? Thanks man.
Old 01-06-2003, 08:52 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Pics of modded 97+ center console. Change holder added...

phen, I didn't necesarily mean you specifically. I just meant do the '97/'99 consoles have (or are they capable of having) the '96 cupholder inside the armrest storage? Thanks man.
Not that I know of...then again, I did not know that the 95-96 were, either. Do you have some sort of insert for that?
Old 01-06-2003, 09:08 AM
Licensed to Spell

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Pics of modded 97+ center console. Change holder added...

Not that I know of...then again, I did not know that the 95-96 were, either. Do you have some sort of insert for that?

It's something a lot of people don't know about. In '96 they added a removable cupholder to the inside of the armrest storage. It was one of the few changes from '95 to '96 (like a power passenger seat). I think by the time some people buy their '96s used, the prior owner(s) have lost the cupholder. It hooks on to the front of the storage. It's decent. It doesn't have a cutout for a mug handle but it is deep and has two tiers to accomidate various cup sizes. The negative is your armrest door needs to stay open so you lose your armrest when using the cupholder. But at least two people can have drinks. Like you said before, the console double holders are too close. Oh and you do lose about 25-33% of your storage - it's big! But at least it's an option. I am curious if the '97-'99s have this cupholder (or capability to install it). I don't like cheap aftermarket stuff but I decided to use a Wizard (~$5 at Wal-Mart). I place it in my double cupholders and I can now carry a Coke can to a mug to a double big gulp. It works well.
Have a great day phen.
Old 01-06-2003, 09:24 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Pics of modded 97+ center console. Change holder added...

It's something a lot of people don't know about. In '96 they added a removable cupholder to the inside of the armrest storage. It was one of the few changes from '95 to '96 (like a power passenger seat). I think by the time some people buy their '96s used, the prior owner(s) have lost the cupholder. It hooks on to the front of the storage. It's decent. It doesn't have a cutout for a mug handle but it is deep and has two tiers to accomidate various cup sizes. The negative is your armrest door needs to stay open so you lose your armrest when using the cupholder. But at least two people can have drinks. Like you said before, the console double holders are too close. Oh and you do lose about 25-33% of your storage - it's big! But at least it's an option. I am curious if the '97-'99s have this cupholder (or capability to install it). I don't like cheap aftermarket stuff but I decided to use a Wizard (~$5 at Wal-Mart). I place it in my double cupholders and I can now carry a Coke can to a mug to a double big gulp. It works well.
Have a great day phen.
Ah ha, I see. My wife's car had that (empahsis on HAD- her friend threw it away by accident while cleaning out her car). My mother's car has it as well (she never cleans her car out).

I wonder if the 97+ had that as an option...
Old 01-07-2003, 02:33 PM

Courtesy Nissan says the change holders are $2.79 each. I think I am going to buy two and attempt this myself...
Old 01-07-2003, 04:03 PM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally posted by co_maxima98
Courtesy Nissan says the change holders are $2.79 each. I think I am going to buy two and attempt this myself...
Drop me a line if you want more info.
Old 01-07-2003, 05:31 PM

Before Christmas when I was getting ready to move out of my dorm for the break, i figured it'd be good to collect all the change in my drawers and room. So I took one of my socks that no longer has a mate, and put them in there. That sock has been in a cupholder in my car ever since, and it compliments nicely the kooky tire iron i keep underneath my passenger seat.
Old 01-07-2003, 05:51 PM
Licensed to Spell

:o)

No offense but I think the coin holders are over-rated. My Audi (1990 100) had a spring-loaded coin holder, behind a little door. So A.) you didn't have to look at the change and, more importantly, B.) you don't have to hear it!! When my Maxima coin holders are not completely full, the rattling noise is annoying. I actually bought a spring loaded coin holder and installed it in my console. Solves the 2 problems above.
Old 01-07-2003, 06:05 PM

Patrick - Don't mean to change the subject, but I want to let you know your amp has been shipped out. Sorry for the delay, I had a few family problems to attend to before I could make it to the post office.
Regards,
Bob
Old 01-08-2003, 06:25 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Re: :o)

No offense but I think the coin holders are over-rated. My Audi (1990 100) had a spring-loaded coin holder, behind a little door. So A.) you didn't have to look at the change and, more importantly, B.) you don't have to hear it!! When my Maxima coin holders are not completely full, the rattling noise is annoying. I actually bought a spring loaded coin holder and installed it in my console. Solves the 2 problems above.
Oh, I hate the rattling. It is just the first thing that I have done to my max that noone else has done. I was kind-of proud of that, so I posted. Believe me, those change holders are archaic technology. I never USE the change in there (except for tolls) because if I do, the rest of the change vibrates like crazy.

It is little things like the lack of decent change/cupholders that make a car annoying. Some companies get it right. 4th gen maximas fell short in that respect.
Old 01-08-2003, 06:26 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally posted by RSA_MAX
Patrick - Don't mean to change the subject, but I want to let you know your amp has been shipped out. Sorry for the delay, I had a few family problems to attend to before I could make it to the post office.
Regards,
Bob
Cool- just send me tracking info, if you have it. If not, I will notify you of its arrival.
Old 01-08-2003, 07:27 AM

Hey Macgyver265 I noticed you said something about rear cup holders. What is that about? I dont have rear cup holders in my 99 max and as far as I know,i've never seen them in any max. Let me know if it was an option in any 4th generation max.

Max99
Old 01-08-2003, 08:36 AM
Licensed to Spell

Re: Re: :o)

Oh, I hate the rattling. It is just the first thing that I have done to my max that noone else has done. I was kind-of proud of that, so I posted. Believe me, those change holders are archaic technology. I never USE the change in there (except for tolls) because if I do, the rest of the change vibrates like crazy.

It is little things like the lack of decent change/cupholders that make a car annoying. Some companies get it right. 4th gen maximas fell short in that respect.

I hear you bro. And you're right, no one has done that before. You should be proud. So I give you a virtual high-five for that.

And yes, there are some things that make me mad at Nissan. No outside temperature diplay with my electronic climate control, no light under our hoods, no map pocket on the back of the driver seat... little things like that. But I still love my car, none-the-less.

Talk to you later Patrick.
Old 01-10-2003, 04:12 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

How can I take thee center consol off?

I have a '96 GLE and need to replace the e-brake boot, i need to know how to take the cover off of the center consol. I tried unscrewing the back and pulling it out, but the wood trim around the shifter is connected, and i am afraid to break it. Thanks for the help
Old 01-10-2003, 04:18 PM
Licensed to Spell

Re: How can I take thee center consol off?

Originally posted by Polarnut
I have a '96 GLE and need to replace the e-brake boot, i need to know how to take the cover off of the center consol. I tried unscrewing the back and pulling it out, but the wood trim around the shifter is connected, and i am afraid to break it. Thanks for the help

You do not need to remove the console to replace the e-brake boot. It pulls right out. Just push in the wire frame around the base, unsnap the buttons on the boot and pull it right off. Good luck.
Old 02-06-2003, 03:57 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: :o)

? where did you get the spring-loaded coin holder and how did you install it. what is the name of coin holder. thank you!
Old 02-06-2003, 03:58 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Pics of modded 97+ center console. Change holder added...

what is the part # for the 97' consol. i would like to do this.
Old 02-06-2003, 06:24 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Re: Re: Pics of modded 97+ center console. Change holder added...

Originally posted by twizztedangel

what is the part # for the 97' consol. i would like to do this.
I don't really know...I bought the console used. I would check a junk yard. If you buy it @ a dealer, you will definately overpay. There are guys on there who regularly do to junkyards- I am sure that one can pick one up for you!

Quick Reply: Pics of modded 97+ center console. Change holder added...