1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

3rd gen tranny swap into 2nd gen.

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2002, 10:04 AM

3rd gen tranny swap into 2nd gen.

I read on the forum that someone recommended swapping in a 5 speed tranny from a 3rd gen into the 2nd gens. My questions are, had anyone here done that? And, what are the benefits of doing so? Thanks for the input guys/gals!
Old 12-14-2002, 01:08 PM
Charles Bisel

Sarin did that swap. His goes by maximase86. I'm not sure what the benefits are, I believe one of them is that it's a closer ratio. He posted a lot of info about it at the 2nd gen Nissan Maxima club on Yahoo.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/second...onnissanmaxima

-C-

Old 12-14-2002, 06:16 PM

Thanks.

Thanks alot, I will check into it further. Cheers!
Old 12-15-2002, 01:51 AM
I love lamp.

Re: Thanks.

I did the swap. Basically its pretty straight forward. There are a few pros for it and a few cons. As for the pros, the gear ratio's are a tad bit closer, and 5th gear is a bit shorter, so you have passing power in 5th. The synchros are much better in a third gen than a second gen. As for the cons, the geaqr ratio's are a tad bit closer, so you can loose a bit of fuel economy. There is some things you have to do in order to make everything work.

So here are the things that need to be done. The tranny must be from a third gen with the VG30E, not the VE30DE. The newer one is a different tranny, and I'm not sure if it will fit. The third gen has 3 mounts, the second gens have 2 which will line up with the 2 of the 3 on the tranny. The speedometer are different. The gears are the same but you have the pull the one off your old tranny and put it on the new one. You must also use your old shift linkage because the third gen is different. Also while your doing a swap, if would be a good time to check all your hydraulics, and the lines. It's easier to access while you got the tranny out. Also do a clutch job. There is a bracket very near the slave clutch cylinder that the hydraulic line runs near, I suggest removing it, or it will cause you problems in the future. Also make sure you do the pressure plate right, or that will cause you problems.

Other than that, nothing out of the ordinary. Hope this helps.

Sarin
Old 12-16-2002, 08:40 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Thanks.

Originally posted by maximase86
I did the swap. Basically its pretty straight forward. There are a few pros for it and a few cons. As for the pros, the gear ratio's are a tad bit closer, and 5th gear is a bit shorter, so you have passing power in 5th. The synchros are much better in a third gen than a second gen. As for the cons, the geaqr ratio's are a tad bit closer, so you can loose a bit of fuel economy. There is some things you have to do in order to make everything work.

So here are the things that need to be done. The tranny must be from a third gen with the VG30E, not the VE30DE. The newer one is a different tranny, and I'm not sure if it will fit. The third gen has 3 mounts, the second gens have 2 which will line up with the 2 of the 3 on the tranny. The speedometer are different. The gears are the same but you have the pull the one off your old tranny and put it on the new one. You must also use your old shift linkage because the third gen is different. Also while your doing a swap, if would be a good time to check all your hydraulics, and the lines. It's easier to access while you got the tranny out. Also do a clutch job. There is a bracket very near the slave clutch cylinder that the hydraulic line runs near, I suggest removing it, or it will cause you problems in the future. Also make sure you do the pressure plate right, or that will cause you problems.

Other than that, nothing out of the ordinary. Hope this helps.

Sarin

Didnt you say it gave you better low end torque?

Mount that with a turbo and that would be one bad ***** shutcho mouth!

lol
Old 12-16-2002, 01:11 PM
I love lamp.

Re: Re: Re: Thanks.

Yes the low-end seem to be a lot better too. Though I don't think there was big gains from it.

Sarin
Old 12-16-2002, 05:17 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Thanks.

Originally posted by maximase86
Yes the low-end seem to be a lot better too. Though I don't think there was big gains from it.

Sarin
Anyone know if this tranny will bolt-up to a VG33?

-A
Old 12-16-2002, 10:42 PM
I love lamp.

Well, it's very unlikely that it would be a direct bolt on. Primarly because the VG33E was built as a rear wheel drive platform. Though the Quest is front wheel drive, there isn't any 5-speed manuals, and personally, if you want to really harness the power of the VG33E, no doubt you will want a manual. Sorry auto people, but it's true. Most likely you would have to adapt it with a custom made adaptor to get it to all work. The other way is to take a regular VG30E, and bored it out to make it a VG33E, or even a VG35E. I wonder what gains you can get out of that.

Sarin
Old 12-20-2002, 09:43 PM

Interesting.

That's an interesting point about the VG33E being built as primarily a rearwheel drive application engine. Question, how many other vehicles was the VG30E installed in where it was transverse like the Max? I am just curious now about stats, that's all.
Old 12-20-2002, 10:15 PM
I love lamp.

Re: Interesting.

Originally posted by KALSC
That's an interesting point about the VG33E being built as primarily a rearwheel drive application engine. Question, how many other vehicles was the VG30E installed in where it was transverse like the Max? I am just curious now about stats, that's all.
The only cars that had a transversly mounted VG30E was the maxima, and the quest. So once again the orginal VG series was a rear wheel platform. The vehicles that also had a VG30E and were rear wheel drive was the 200SX-V6, Hardbody Pickup, Pathfinder, Infiniti J30, Infiniti M30 Coupe (though I think it may of been transverse because it looked like a 2nd Gen Maxima Coupe) and 300ZX.

Sarin
Old 12-20-2002, 10:17 PM

Cool.

Cool, thanks.