4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

OEM needles stick on SE Gauges...remedy/ fix? Did search...

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2002, 06:30 PM
Mod her. Ate her.

OEM needles stick on SE Gauges...remedy/ fix? Did search...

My OEM needles stick on the speedometer of my SE Gauges. I have a GLE and swaped the SE gauges in. I only had the gauges, not the whole gauge pod, so the only actual face that I swapped was the Speedo. For the speedo, I removed the black GLE face and put the SE face in its place, like one would do w/ faces from import intelligence. For the others, I used the real SE gauge and installed it in my GLE pod.

When I started up, all was fine, BUT the speedo stuck at certain speeds accellerating and decellerating. Does anyone know of a remedy or fix for this?

I did a search but everything had to do w/ import intelligence indiglo needles or installing indiglo/reverse indiglo gauges.

Any advice?
Old 11-03-2002, 09:33 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Top...someone please help...all that I do when I drive is watch the sticking needle. I need to get it fixed before I have a wreck!

Is it just rubbing/ sticking, or might I have actually messed the gauge up?
Old 11-03-2002, 10:06 AM

Originally posted by phenryiv1
Top...someone please help...all that I do when I drive is watch the sticking needle. I need to get it fixed before I have a wreck!

Is it just rubbing/ sticking, or might I have actually messed the gauge up?
i had same problem with my 97 SE. i had indiglo gauge put on last year and few days after the installation the needle started to stick. so i thought i messed up my gauge so i took it out. and it worked fine. so i decide to get reverse indiglo which i installed last week. when i installed it and test drove it the needles stuck so i reinstalled it carefully with double sided tape. make sure you tape right around the circle hole where needle goes in. it will keep on sticking if you don't tape that spot right. good luck...\

Tae
Old 11-03-2002, 10:12 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The part that sticks is the back of the circle not the actual needle. File down the back nub on the bottom and it will never stick again.
Old 11-04-2002, 07:03 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

UPDATE

It was the needle cover (the black cap in the center) that was rubbing. Popped it off and switched it for one off of my GLE cluster and the rubbing went away. SMOOTH needle travel throughout the sweep.

Thanks for all of the input!
Old 10-04-2004, 12:58 PM

Does it resolve the tach problem? Mine works on and off. It has reverse indiglo gauges that the previous owner installed. How can I fix this?
Old 10-04-2004, 01:00 PM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally Posted by Boosted Supra
Does it resolve the tach problem? Mine works on and off. It has reverse indiglo gauges that the previous owner installed. How can I fix this?
Wow, this was an old thread...what exactly are you asking? Clarify a bit and I will do what I can to fill you in and help you out.

BTW- nice Supra. You have a homepage for it?
Old 10-04-2004, 01:08 PM

Well, My tach is weird. It works on and off while driving. When it works, it's not a smooth sweep, it's very bouncy. When it doesn't work, it dead to the world. At times I would push the gauge cluster (glass is still removed by the previous ower, it was never installed back) and the needle would bounce, it would only do this sometimes. I'm not sure what's causing the problem. I was thinking of trying to fix it or replace it with a 97SE auto white face (if it fits my 97 GXE auto). I would rather try to fix the tach problem because it keeps my mileage accurate.

And thank you for the compliments, I have a website:

http://www.7mpower.com/manny_akim.shtml
Old 10-05-2004, 07:42 AM

To The Top
Old 10-05-2004, 07:50 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Well, your ODO should be in the speedo, not the tach. You might have minor needle rubbing, or it could be that whoever installed the gauges and needles messed up the mechanism. It is really hard to tell. The best way to test it is to gently rotate the needle to the clock-wise-most position and to see if it has a smooth sweep on the return. Also, does it stall on both the up and down sweep, or only on one or the other?
Old 10-05-2004, 08:00 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

By the way, your Supra makes me drool. Targa top 5MT Turbo...mmmmmm
Old 10-05-2004, 08:07 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

My needles "stick" too after swapping in just the faces. They move, but they don't move fast enough. There is some drag on them.

I cannot figure ANYTHING out to fix it.

Actually, nevermind. I don't ever want to take that cluster apart again. Ever.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by phenryiv1
Well, your ODO should be in the speedo, not the tach. You might have minor needle rubbing, or it could be that whoever installed the gauges and needles messed up the mechanism. It is really hard to tell. The best way to test it is to gently rotate the needle to the clock-wise-most position and to see if it has a smooth sweep on the return. Also, does it stall on both the up and down sweep, or only on one or the other?
I moved it with my finger and it moves very smoothly. I think the mechanism is shot. i know my speedo has the ODO but if I just take out the tach from another gauge cluster, I'll have a mismatch. Maybe I could try to take out the indiglo face. I could also use a 97 SE auto gauge cluster, that would be good.

Thanks for the compliments, look out for it on either Import Tuner or Turbo magazine's feb issue.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:20 AM

Here's a vid of it making 541rwhp (524rwhp SAE) at 26psi.

You'll need LEAD codec to watch the vid, turn up the volume as well.

Right Click to "Save As"

http://members.aol.com/manny112780/Dyno/Manny524.avi
Old 10-05-2004, 09:31 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally Posted by Boosted Supra
I moved it with my finger and it moves very smoothly. I think the mechanism is shot. i know my speedo has the ODO but if I just take out the tach from another gauge cluster, I'll have a mismatch. Maybe I could try to take out the indiglo face. I could also use a 97 SE auto gauge cluster, that would be good.
Did you read my write-up? The basics of it are that if you buy an SE cluster from from a 95-97, it will work in your 97. If it is an auto cluster (like yours) you remove the actual speedometer gauge (3 screws) from the OLD cluster and disassemble it carefully, disassemble the NEW speedometer cluster and gauge, remove the faces, swap the SE face onto your GXE gauge, reassemble, and insert that gauge in your new cluster. All that you have to be careful with is the one needle that you remove.

If it is a s-speed donor car, you wll use your cluster (to preserve the "OD on/Off" indicator light) and swap the WHOLE tach, fuel, and temp gauges from the new cluster into your old cluster housing. This is simple, just 3 screws each. Then you will do the same face-swap procedure and put the old speedo/odo (with the new face) back in the original gauge cluster housing.

Make any sense? if not, I can try to find the write-up.

Anyway, I have done it 2x, so I knwo it works. I swapped 5-speed gauges into my auto, then back into a different 5-speed.
Old 10-05-2004, 10:17 AM

Yes, makes sense. Thank you.