4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

I finally did my 'backseat fold-down mod'! (well, kinda...)

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2002, 12:14 AM
Licensed to Spell

I finally did my 'backseat fold-down mod'! (well, kinda...)

Edit. Well, after 3 years I finally have the write-up complete. I hope some of you find it helpful. Let me know if you have any questions.

Here is the new thread I started.

Here is a direct link to the write-up.

Over two years ago when I joined the .org, I asked the classic newbie question: "Can I get my back seat to fold down?" It was answered immediately with the likes of:
"This has been asked a million times"
"No, it can't be done"
" It would ruin the structural integrity of the car"
"Don't bother"
etc., etc.

I even remember Daniel B. Martin replying and telling me no!!

Well, none-the-less, I never took it off my to-do list (back then a Palm IIIxe, now an m515 - ) and after being on my to-do list for 2.5 years, I finally got around to it! And guess what?

I DID IT!!! Well, o.k., not exactly. Instead of the rear seat folding DOWN, it folds UP!!! But it works!

I am currently working on a how-to write-up for “Ptatohed’s back seat fold-up mod.” to put on my cardomain site. I will post the link as soon as I finish it. But I have included pictures in the meantime.

Of course, before I came to the conclusion that I'd have to have the seat fold up, I tried to get it to fold down. I can honestly say it can't be done. I had the whole thing 'planned' out in my head. I even studied other cars that had the fold-down feature (Accord, Taurus, etc.). My plan was to use a swivel/hinge mechanism on the bottom and some kind of ball-in-socket on the top. I first took the whole back seat out to study how I would install it and what I would have to ‘cut away’ to open up access to the trunk from the back seat. I realized gaining pass-through access was very easy! All you have to do is remove a flat metal panel that easily removes. No permanent damage! At this point I still thought I was folding the seat down. I even bought gray carpet to carpet the back of the seat so it looked good when folded down and things could lie on top of it. The next step was to place the seat (the vertical seat cushion) back in the car and figure out where my hinges would go, etc. I put it in and did a ‘mock’ or ‘dry’ fold-down. Forget it!!!! Not possible. For starters, our seat is way too tall. I literally had to move both front seats forward for it to fold forward. And then, have you ever noticed how the sides of our seats protrude forward on the sides? Well those protrusions make the rear seat convex so it can’t lie flat anyway. And even when it is folded down, the side doors won’t close. So, needless to say, I was ready to abandon the whole mission but while putting the seat back in, it hit me! “What if I made the seat fold up?” It seemed logical. The hinge system I would need to install was already in place by default (on top), the bottom of the seat is easily made to unhook quickly and with the bottom of the seat up in the air, it served the same pass-through purpose I wanted. So I went for it and it worked!

Anyway, I hope this helps some of you guys out. Please enjoy the photos until I can finish my write-up. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Rear seat cushion fully closed:

Rear seat fully open (90 degrees):

Old 10-12-2002, 12:18 AM
Licensed to Spell

:o)

Rear seat fully closed - bike does not fit!

With ptatohed's back seat fold-up mod, bike fits:

Old 10-12-2002, 12:19 AM
Licensed to Spell

Picture of bike and folded-up seat from inside cabin:

View of bike and folded-up seat from the side:

Old 10-12-2002, 01:09 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

neat

That's cool. I solved my pass through problem when I realized if I just take the bindings off all the snowboards, most boards will fit through the armrest passthru. Nice work tho. If it's not too hard to do, this may make a lot of people happy.
Old 10-12-2002, 01:23 AM

Good work Ptatohead,

You have defeated all odds!!! Can't wait for the write-up!
Old 10-12-2002, 02:20 AM

Re: I finally did my 'backseat fold-down mod'! (well, kinda...)

Originally posted by ptatohed
Over two years ago when I joined the .org, I asked the classic newbie question: "Can I get my back seat to fold down?" It was answered immediately with the likes of:
"This has been asked a million times"
"No, it can't be done"
" It would ruin the structural integrity of the car"
"Don't bother"
etc., etc.

I even remember Daniel B. Martin replying and telling me no!!

after being on my to-do list for 2.5 years, I finally got around to it! And guess what?

I DID IT!!!
GOOD JOB!!

u defy the org
Old 10-12-2002, 08:05 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

wow...I wanna see a write up
Old 10-12-2002, 08:31 AM
My other car is a Hybrid

Old 10-12-2002, 08:38 AM

Awesome, now find out how to get the rear windows to roll all the way down. The lexus's do it by making the window go down and then swing at an angle.
Old 10-12-2002, 08:43 AM
Custom User Title...

good ol' ptatohead does not disappoint. nice job man...i can almost guarantee most people on here will use this.
Old 10-12-2002, 09:04 AM

Nice especially if your write up is as good as the SC one aws sine that one made it so basic and easy to follow.

SuDZ
Old 10-12-2002, 09:37 AM

I am bookmarking this thread for two reasons:

1) Very cool mod! People with bikes and no bike racks and skis will now worship you!

2) You want to do a mod that the Org says is not possible? Go out, do research, do the mod successful, come back, post pics and own everyone!
Old 10-12-2002, 09:41 AM

Awesome job, wow!!

Old 10-12-2002, 10:03 AM
Administrator

i don't like it
Old 10-12-2002, 11:44 AM

Good Job!!!

You probalby already thought of this...but are you thinking of maybe putting a little hydrolic post on it...to hold it up. Kinda like on our hood. Just thought that might be a neat addition. But, great job doesn't look bad and now I can haul my Snowboards to go snowboarding.

-John
Old 10-12-2002, 11:58 AM

Re: Good Job!!!

Originally posted by Mr Cranman
You probalby already thought of this...but are you thinking of maybe putting a little hydrolic post on it...to hold it up. Kinda like on our hood. Just thought that might be a neat addition. But, great job doesn't look bad and now I can haul my Snowboards to go snowboarding.

-John

You da man! You just saved me buying a ski rack for my new Rossi's!!!

Thank you!!!
Old 10-12-2002, 01:31 PM

Originally posted by SprintMax
i don't like it
there is no reason not to like it, you cant telll by looking at the car when the seats are up. You just said that to post and raise your avg posts per day, and to look for trouble. Everyone knows its a good mod in case you need to fit anything in your car, and everyone knows its better to have this than not. There more advantages than disavantages to it.
Old 10-12-2002, 01:41 PM
Administrator

Originally posted by Brendan

there is no reason not to like it, you cant telll by looking at the car when the seats are up. You just said that to post and raise your avg posts per day, and to look for trouble. Everyone knows its a good mod in case you need to fit anything in your car, and everyone knows its better to have this than not. There more advantages than disavantages to it.
just for you ********.. i will explain why i don't like it..

the seats fold up.. which is a great mod if you just want to carry extra stuff.. yeah.. its a great mod of convience.. but as far as presetabilty.. i don't like the way it looks with the stuff stickign out on the bottom.. plus when you put the bike or whatever in the car.. it gets on the seat.. i dont' liek that ither.. with conventinal fold down seats.. the bike would be on the back of the seat.. not the rear seat bench..

the way i could see this working as fold down.. is if just like the tricked out trunk.. you can have it bend.. those two prongs that bolt into the base.. if you could replace those with hinges.. then the fold down seat may work..

don't get me wrong.. its a great mod.. and it helps out others.. but personally i don't like it for the reason described above.. adn its a free fcking country.. i am entitled not to like it.. its like whever someone posts something everyone has to like it.. i dont' like the sht.. step off my nuts b!tch
Old 10-12-2002, 07:38 PM

its a free fcking country.. i am entitled not to like it.. its like whever someone posts something everyone has to like it.. i dont' like the sht.. step off my nuts b!tch

you tell him
Old 10-13-2002, 01:58 AM
Licensed to Spell

Thanks guys for all the nice comments. I appreciate it.

Old 10-13-2002, 02:02 AM
Licensed to Spell

Originally posted by ericdwong
Awesome, now find out how to get the rear windows to roll all the way down. The lexus's do it by making the window go down and then swing at an angle.
Ha-ha, that was another one of my newbie questions Eric. And guess what? It is on my to-list as well. lol
Old 10-13-2002, 02:12 AM
Licensed to Spell

Re: Good Job!!!

Originally posted by Mr Cranman

-John
No, I didn't think of that John. Sounds like a good idea though. I just wanted to keep it as simple as possible and it seems to work just fine with the seat resting on the item(s). But thanks for the idea.
Old 10-13-2002, 02:33 AM
Licensed to Spell

**** First of all Sprint, if you don't like it, don't do it. Simple. Posting "I don't like it" serves no purpose at all.

the seats fold up.. which is a great mod if you just want to carry extra stuff.. yeah.. its a great mod of convience..

**** Exactly. That is pretty much the entire point behind it.

but as far as presetabilty.. i don't like the way it looks with the stuff stickign out on the bottom..

**** And the alternative is what? To not even have the option for it to stick out the bottom. ??

plus when you put the bike or whatever in the car.. it gets on the seat.. i dont' liek that ither.. with conventinal fold down seats.. the bike would be on the back of the seat.. not the rear seat bench..

**** Of course. That goes without saying. Don't you think we'd all rather have a fold DOWN seat? Our car didn't come with a conventional fold down seat. I wish I didn't have to place that flannel under my bike tire to protect my seat but I did. To me it's a small price to pay for being able to fit my bike in the car. Again, what's the alternative? Nothing.

the way i could see this working as fold down.. is if just like the tricked out trunk.. you can have it bend.. those two prongs that bolt into the base.. if you could replace those with hinges.. then the fold down seat may work..

**** Apparently you didn't read my first post in it's entirety if you are saying this. I listed three reason why you can't do it this way.

don't get me wrong.. its a great mod.. and it helps out others.. but personally i don't like it for the reason described above..

**** That's fine. Don't do it.
Old 10-13-2002, 05:32 AM

Okay now my $800 mountain bike can fit in my trunk w/out removing both wheels , how ever like sprint said about the bike tearing the seats Ill see how can I accomodate a cushion not to damage the seats and problem solved. its a temporary thing so is no big deal. Good Job Josh.
Old 10-13-2002, 09:42 AM

Nice work. Better for people with systems too.
Old 10-13-2002, 10:29 AM
Administrator

first off don't fckign get hype over this ****.. i was upset with the ******** who decided to talk ****..

why do i have to post i like it.. why can't i post i don't like it.. i don't like it.. plain and simple.. if you can't take critism dont' post.. its that simple.. why should the thread be full of people saying they like it... why would you post it if you didn't think someone wouldn't like it..

I don't like the ****.. if you don't like that.. tuff ****.. don't post your **** if you can't take critism
**** First of all Sprint, if you don't like it, don't do it. Simple. Posting "I don't like it" serves no purpose at all.

the seats fold up.. which is a great mod if you just want to carry extra stuff.. yeah.. its a great mod of convience..

**** Exactly. That is pretty much the entire point behind it.

but as far as presetabilty.. i don't like the way it looks with the stuff stickign out on the bottom..

**** And the alternative is what? To not even have the option for it to stick out the bottom. ??

plus when you put the bike or whatever in the car.. it gets on the seat.. i dont' liek that ither.. with conventinal fold down seats.. the bike would be on the back of the seat.. not the rear seat bench..

**** Of course. That goes without saying. Don't you think we'd all rather have a fold DOWN seat? Our car didn't come with a conventional fold down seat. I wish I didn't have to place that flannel under my bike tire to protect my seat but I did. To me it's a small price to pay for being able to fit my bike in the car. Again, what's the alternative? Nothing.

**** Apparently you didn't read my first post in it's entirety if you are saying this. I listed three reason why you can't do it this way.

don't get me wrong.. its a great mod.. and it helps out others.. but personally i don't like it for the reason described above..

**** That's fine. Don't do it.
Old 10-13-2002, 11:37 AM
Custom User Title...

first off don't fckign get hype over this ****.. i was upset with the ******** who decided to talk ****..

why do i have to post i like it.. why can't i post i don't like it.. i don't like it.. plain and simple.. if you can't take critism dont' post.. its that simple.. why should the thread be full of people saying they like it... why would you post it if you didn't think someone wouldn't like it..

I don't like the ****.. if you don't like that.. tuff ****.. don't post your **** if you can't take critism

so much hostility...

sprintmax, like your mom told me the other night, "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all"...
Old 10-13-2002, 11:44 AM

my point exacty, simply saying i don't like is worthless to everyone, explain why man, then maybe you wouldn't seem like such a postwhore, unless you did it on purpose so you could post again to say why you didn't like it in order to raise your average. What is it 26 a day?? You must love sitting in front of the computer.
Old 10-13-2002, 12:34 PM
Administrator

fck that man.. america is a free country.. i am entitled to say what i want

Originally posted by Jepht20

so much hostility...

sprintmax, like your mom told me the other night, "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all"...
Old 10-13-2002, 04:20 PM
Licensed to Spell

**** I'm not hype (whatever that means) over any "****". You're the one who sounds upset. Calm down dude.

why do i have to post i like it.. why can't i post i don't like it..

**** As I said before, that's fine. Don't do it. Simple. Your not liking it phases me in the least bit. I couldn't care less.

i don't like it.. plain and simple.. if you can't take critism dont' post.. its that simple..

**** I never said I can't take criticism (or critism as you say). You're the one saying I can't take it.

why should the thread be full of people saying they like it...

**** Is there something wrong with that? Are you jealous or something?

why would you post it if you didn't think someone wouldn't like it..

**** I can't answer that because I don't what you said. I think there was a double-double negative in there. lol

**** I can take "critism" just fine. I just can't take rude people. Or people with bad attitudes. Or people that are so negative. Or people that complain all the time. As I have said at least 3-4 times now, that's fine that you don't like it. Don't do it.
Old 10-13-2002, 04:25 PM
Administrator

i wasn't rude..

all i said was "i don't like it"

the reason i had an uproar was to Brendon.. you know.. Brendon who follows me around the org makign comments? http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=157563 it wasn't directed to you.. but if you want to take it personally.. then fck you too

**** I'm not hype (whatever that means) over any "****". You're the one who sounds upset. Calm down dude.

why do i have to post i like it.. why can't i post i don't like it..

**** As I said before, that's fine. Don't do it. Simple. Your not liking it phases me in the least bit. I couldn't care less.

i don't like it.. plain and simple.. if you can't take critism dont' post.. its that simple..

**** I never said I can't take criticism (or critism as you say). You're the one saying I can't take it.

why should the thread be full of people saying they like it...

**** Is there something wrong with that? Are you jealous or something?

why would you post it if you didn't think someone wouldn't like it..

**** I can't answer that because I don't what you said. I think there was a double-double negative in there. lol

**** I can take "critism" just fine. I just can't take rude people. Or people with bad attitudes. Or people that are so negative. Or people that complain all the time. As I have said at least 3-4 times now, that's fine that you don't like it. Don't do it.
Old 10-13-2002, 04:27 PM
Licensed to Spell

Originally posted by JAY25
Okay now my $800 mountain bike can fit in my trunk w/out removing both wheels , how ever like sprint said about the bike tearing the seats Ill see how can I accomodate a cushion not to damage the seats and problem solved. its a temporary thing so is no big deal. Good Job Josh.
Now my $150 Wal-Mart-special Mongoose mountain bike fits without removing the wheel(s). lol.

Thanks Jaime.
Old 10-13-2002, 04:39 PM
Licensed to Spell

i wasn't rude..

all i said was "i don't like it"

the reason i had an uproar was to Brendon.. you know.. Brendon who follows me around the org makign comments? http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=157563 it wasn't directed to you.. but if you want to take it personally.. then fck you too

I feel bad for you.

Have a nice day sprint.
Old 11-08-2002, 08:14 PM
Licensed to Spell

Guys, I thank you for your patience. I have not forgotten about the write-up, I have just been totaly busy. Work (32+ hours/week), 3 classes (10 units) and I recently bought a house (no where near done unpacking yet). But I have been working on it in bits and pieces. In fact, I am staying late at work tonight to work on it a little (that's what reminded me to inform you guys). So anyway, it is about 85% done - in Word. I need to finish the 15% and then put it on the web. Bare with me. Thanks. Have a great weekend.
Old 10-02-2003, 09:24 AM
What's next!?..

Resurrecting this from the dead..

Did you ever finish the write-up for this mod?
Old 10-02-2003, 09:54 AM

I need to do this too.
Old 10-02-2003, 10:06 AM

i think what potatoehead meant was if you dont have anything nice to say keep your trap shut. Yes america is free, but if i put alot of time and effort into something and someone only responed w/ "I dont like it" ...it would probably pee me off, no one likes getting their pride hurt

sorry that sounded kinda like dr. phil huh?
Old 10-02-2003, 10:07 AM

nice mod man, good job

and someone should buy sprintmax a ***** for christmas..... so if he doesn't like THAT either u can tell him 2 go *** himself
Old 10-02-2003, 11:11 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

where's the write up. my bike's not fitting in the trunk either :P
Old 10-02-2003, 11:49 AM

NICE!!!!

Quick Reply: I finally did my 'backseat fold-down mod'! (well, kinda...)