4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Quick Qusetion about Gauge Faces

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2002, 09:08 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Quick Qusetion about Gauge Faces

If I want the SE gauges (white in day, lights light-up at night) I have to replace the whole gauge cluster, right? I cannot JUST change the gauge faces (to keep my mileage the same), right?

Thanks, guys!
Old 10-11-2002, 10:18 AM

Search...

but why don't you just order white face gauges that overlay your current ones? Cheaper and mad easy to install.
Old 10-11-2002, 10:55 AM
Maximaniac

Originally posted by dudevolley
Search...

but why don't you just order white face gauges that overlay your current ones? Cheaper and mad easy to install.

www.procarparts.com has them. Thats where I got mine.
Old 10-11-2002, 11:28 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally posted by dudevolley
Because I want the ones that don't look like they came out of the space shuttle. I LIKE the factory SE gauge faces, not the reverse indiglo gauges from aftermarket sellers.

And by the way, you cannot search for terms shorter than 3 characters, so it is impossible to search for the term "SE".
Old 10-11-2002, 11:47 AM

So search for guages...and you can buy just white face guages. check

www.importintelligence.com
Old 10-11-2002, 01:22 PM

Originally posted by phenryiv1

Because I want the ones that don't look like they came out of the space shuttle. I LIKE the factory SE gauge faces, not the reverse indiglo gauges from aftermarket sellers.

And by the way, you cannot search for terms shorter than 3 characters, so it is impossible to search for the term "SE".
Yes, you can. But, I don't think the dealer sells just the face. The dealer only sells the complete gauge. So, what you should do is buy the gauge cluster (all 4 gauges) from the junkyard. Because the junkyard won't break up the set. Take off your cluster. Remove the MPH gauge. Take it apart. Take apart the white-faced gauge, unscrew the face. Screw the white-face onto your original gauge. place it into the new cluster. Now the New cluster has all 4 white gauges and your original miles.
Old 10-11-2002, 01:27 PM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally posted by maxtrax

Yes, you can. But, I don't think the dealer sells just the face. The dealer only sells the complete gauge. So, what you should do is buy the gauge cluster (all 4 gauges) from the junkyard. Because the junkyard won't break up the set. Take off your cluster. Remove the MPH gauge. Take it apart. Take apart the white-faced gauge, unscrew the face. Screw the white-face onto your original gauge. place it into the new cluster. Now the New cluster has all 4 white gauges and your original miles.
Are you certain about this? B/C I can get them from a wrecked max.
Old 10-11-2002, 02:38 PM
i SeE what you did therE

i have never heard of anyone just removing the gauge faces off a gauge cluster..

if it works great...
Old 10-14-2002, 01:17 PM

I did it with my car. But my car is a 98', and the miles are digital. So if any one says it can't be done send them to me.
Old 10-14-2002, 01:20 PM

Originally posted by redmaxpa007

i have never heard of anyone just removing the gauge faces off a gauge cluster..

if it works great...
If you look at a set of gauges. You'll see two screws, one to the left of the needle and one to the right. Those two screws hold the face in place.
Old 10-14-2002, 01:34 PM
i SeE what you did therE

If you look at a set of gauges. You'll see two screws, one to the left of the needle and one to the right. Those two screws hold the face in place.
i know that.. i have been in my gauge cluster a time or 2...

i am just saying most people just replace the WHOLe guage cluster, not just the gauges..

i have seen aftermarket white gauges.. hell i have indiglos..but not OEM SE gauges removed and installed on GLE or GXE clusters
Old 10-14-2002, 01:47 PM

Originally posted by redmaxpa007

i know that.. i have been in my gauge cluster a time or 2...

i am just saying most people just replace the WHOLe guage cluster, not just the gauges..

i have seen aftermarket white gauges.. hell i have indiglos..but not OEM SE gauges removed and installed on GLE or GXE clusters
Oooh I see.
The clusters are the same. The only diff. is when they assemble the SE gauges they put on a white face insted of a black one. So the gauges are the same, even uses the same bulbs.
Old 10-14-2002, 10:34 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I did this too, on a 96 with the analog odometer. Had to take off the needle to do it, but it was pretty easy.
Old 10-15-2002, 06:26 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally posted by Jarhead96SE

I did this too, on a 96 with the analog odometer. Had to take off the needle to do it, but it was pretty easy.
So when I do this, ho wwill it light up? Will the gauges still be white in daytime and only light-up numbers at night? That is what I want. I had indiglo gauges in a past vehicle and found them to be slightly distractign at night.
Old 10-15-2002, 06:52 AM
Disco Biscuit

Careful with removing the needles!!! Quite a few people, including me have f*cked up they're guages and have had to get them replaced because if you're not careful, you'll pull the whole needle and shaft out of the guage and then its ruined. Try to just replace the face if you can..........
Old 10-15-2002, 06:53 AM

So when I do this, ho wwill it light up? Will the gauges still be white in daytime and only light-up numbers at night? That is what I want. I had indiglo gauges in a past vehicle and found them to be slightly distractign at night.
If you are using an OEM white gauge face cluster, it will look completely stock, i.e. white w/ black markings during the daytime, and black w/ white markings at night.
Old 10-15-2002, 06:53 AM
Don't trust me, I'm sneaky

lighting up

Yeah, just the number light up. You get a little glow around the needles, too, bbut that might just be noticable because now your guage face is white. Plus, at dusk, the dark blue outlines the lit up numbers, and it is really cool. Unfortunately I bought a junked guage cluster and now my mileage is off... But the guages look great both day and night, so you have nothing to worry about.
Old 10-15-2002, 08:02 AM

Yes, it will look and work the same as if you had an SE.
Old 10-15-2002, 08:13 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Given the recen t discussions in this thread, I think I would prefer the white Gauge faces from an SE. But in the ad here:www.importintelligence.com, they have gauges that do not look too bad. My question is, do they light up likeSE gauges (white in day, lights shine through at night), or are the numbers NOT shine-through?
Old 10-15-2002, 08:26 AM

Given the recent discussions in this thread, I think I would prefer the white Gauge faces from an SE. But in the ad here:www.importintelligence.com, they have gauges that do not look too bad. My question is, do they light up like SE gauges (white in day, lights shine through at night), or are the numbers NOT shine-through?
The reason I went ahead and got the SE gauge cluster is that I tried the overlays from Import Intelligence, and they looked like ****, IMHO. They work on the same principle as the SE gauges, but the surface is very shiny since they are made of vinyl. The numbers are actually cutouts so the markings from the underlying gauge face are exposed. The cutouts are not exact and do not line up right, and not all of the markings on the gauge face have a corresponding cutout. I still have my old black face gauge cluster sitting around with the Import Intelligence stickers (that's all they are, BTW) on them, gathering dust.
Old 10-15-2002, 08:29 AM

Given the recen t discussions in this thread, I think I would prefer the white Gauge faces from an SE. But in the ad here:www.importintelligence.com, they have gauges that do not look too bad. My question is, do they light up likeSE gauges (white in day, lights shine through at night), or are the numbers NOT shine-through?
I don't know. Find out the brand and ask people who has these gauges?
Old 10-15-2002, 07:08 PM

It is true that the ones from import intelligence do not have all the cut-outs (markings b/t 20-30mph, 30-40mph etc and the KM markings) They do however line up perfectly, if you take your time lining them up. They do look like stock but you should use some application fluid for vinyl and a squegee(sp) to make sure there are no bubbles. If you are goin to change your guage faces, check out the needle kit at importintelligence too, b/c the more times you take apart the cluster, there more chances there are for you to screw it up.
Old 10-15-2002, 09:35 PM

I was already to order the silver flake overlays from importintelligence tonight but thought i would check the threads first again and now i dont know. does anyone have pics of these installed both day and night? or Jarhead96SE could you post pics of your old gauges. any help is much appreciated. thank you