4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

How do I take care of the idle speedcode 0205?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2002, 10:39 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

How do I take care of the idle speedcode 0205?

I have a 95 auto max and noticed that the engine light came on after I used Chevron with Techron. I thought that may have been the reason since I hadn't used that type of gas in a while. Anyway, I just diagnosed it today and it turns out to be a the idle speed control. I noticed that my idle when parked is 700RPM and when I switch to drive it's a 600RPM. I also have a K&N filter with Frankencar midpipe. I cleaned out the throttle body back in July. I've had my K&N filter for about 6000 miles. I did a lot of traveling this summer. The filter is starting o look a bit dirty. What I want to know is whether I should clean the filter and the throttle body again. I've never recieved this code before. Does anyone know how to clean the K&N filter? I heard that you use soap and water, but I'm not sure how long you let it dry or what other steps are invloved. Any other suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance.

P.S. The knock sensor code is also showing too. It seems to show up every time I have an unrelated problem like O2 sensor or this. Should I consider changing it? I don't feel any sluggishness.
Old 08-18-2002, 12:13 PM

Re: How do I take care of the idle speedcode 0205?

Originally posted by athlon omega
I have a 95 auto max and noticed that the engine light came on after I used Chevron with Techron. I thought that may have been the reason since I hadn't used that type of gas in a while. Anyway, I just diagnosed it today and it turns out to be a the idle speed control. I noticed that my idle when parked is 700RPM and when I switch to drive it's a 600RPM. I also have a K&N filter with Frankencar midpipe. I cleaned out the throttle body back in July. I've had my K&N filter for about 6000 miles. I did a lot of traveling this summer. The filter is starting o look a bit dirty. What I want to know is whether I should clean the filter and the throttle body again. I've never recieved this code before. Does anyone know how to clean the K&N filter? I heard that you use soap and water, but I'm not sure how long you let it dry or what other steps are invloved. Any other suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance.

P.S. The knock sensor code is also showing too. It seems to show up every time I have an unrelated problem like O2 sensor or this. Should I consider changing it? I don't feel any sluggishness.
Do NOT clean the K&N with soap and water. There is a recharging kit available at Pep Boys, etc., that includes a special cleaning solution and filter oil. You spray the solution on and let soak for a little bit. Then rinse with plain water. After the filter dries, preferrably overnight, spray it with oil according to the directions.

That code is specifically related to either the IACV or harness. I would check all the connections first. Failing that, take the valve off and clean it individually. What probably happened is that a chunk of carbon, from either the TB cleaning or Techron was dislodged and is preventing the valve from operating properly.

On a 95, by now, the knock sensor code is probably real.
Old 08-18-2002, 01:12 PM

Thanks a lot! I'll go check the harness.
Old 01-03-2006, 03:20 PM

I'm resurrecting this ancient thread to hopefully gather some more information regarding the 02-05 Idle Speed Control code. My 96 GXE is showing this code and I'm a little stumped as to how to correct it. I've removed and cleaned the idle air control valve (it wasn't even that dirty) and the code returns. The post above mentioned checking the harness, which harness is it referring to? Does anyone know the proper resistances/voltages that I should test for to diagnose a failing IACV? I have no other symptoms of malfunction other than the code, the idle is steady and smooth.

Thanks for the help
Old 12-09-2006, 07:06 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

AceTKK,
I know this thread is old - I hope your or someone can pick it back up.

I am getting that 0205 idle speed control code, and I have also cleaned the IACV only to find the check engine light and code will not go away.

I am hoping that you found the solution at some point since your last post, and can share it with me. This is preventing me from getting the vehicle smogged and registered, not mention just being a pain...

Thanks in advance,

Doug
Old 12-31-2006, 11:14 AM

The harness is basically the two plugs that plug into the IACV. Mine was solved by cleaning it with an electrical cleaner. If the code still persists, then it has to be replaced.
Old 05-09-2007, 09:53 AM

What is the recharging kit called? In other words, what do I need to tell Pep Boys, etc. to order this kit?
Old 05-13-2007, 05:33 PM

0205 Code

I took apart the IACV, cleaned it and rebuilt it. The problem has been eliminated.