5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

electronic auto compass

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2003, 06:26 PM

electronic auto compass

I am looking for a good electronic compass that I can plug into the cigarette lighter for power. I don't like the cheap ball floating in water type because they don't seem to give trustworthy directions. There are a few electronic compasses on sale on the internet, but I would rather buy one from a local auto store becuase I like to test it before buying it. Any recommendation of brands and places to buy? At this time, I don't think I need a NAV because I don't drive that much, especially not to distant cities I am not familiar with.
Old 06-07-2003, 06:40 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

perhaps you could somehow wire this to your maxima?

http://www.courtesyparts.com/Merchan...ode=350Z-RVMIR

Old 06-07-2003, 06:56 PM

Originally posted by MaximaZero
perhaps you could somehow wire this to your maxima?

http://www.courtesyparts.com/Merchan...ode=350Z-RVMIR

Thanks for the reply. I already have the auto dimming feature in my rear view mirror and spending $300 just for the compass feature does not seem justified. I am looking for a standalone electronic compass which can be mounted on the dash or the windshield.
Old 06-07-2003, 07:11 PM

I just bought the PNI 7000 Waypoint Electronic Compass. Consider it a poorman's GPS. I originally had it above the dash clock but I wanted it to be out of sight. I hardwired it this morning next to the rear view mirror and it works pretty good, plenty of features and is surprisingly accurate.

http://www.pnicorp.com/wayfinder-dig...3f367e8107b655
Old 06-07-2003, 07:25 PM

Originally posted by wally9mm
I just bought the PNI 7000 Waypoint Electronic Compass. Consider it a poorman's GPS. I originally had it above the dash clock but I wanted it to be out of sight. I hardwired it this morning next to the rear view mirror and it works pretty good, plenty of features and is surprisingly accurate.

http://www.pnicorp.com/wayfinder-dig...3f367e8107b655
I remember seeing the PNI 7000 while surfing the net for a compass, but I think it might have been under another brand name. Did you buy it through the internet? I hardly buy things over the net except for my Dell computer because I know Dell's website is trustworthy and it has great(though a bit expensive) products.

Did you let the wire dangle from the rear view mirror? It seems having the compass nearer to the dash clock would reduce the dangling wire problem. The PNI 7000 seems like a nifty gadget with a lot of features. Enjoy!
Old 06-07-2003, 07:35 PM

Bought it thru PNI direct, but you can buy locally at many Auto Stores. I routed the wire through the cutout for the auto dimming mirror. I moved it up top so that I can leave it in the car. From the outside you don't see it, wires or the suction cups. From inside the wire is basically invisible to me. I admit that it was convienent over the clock and I contemplated hardwiring there, but I rather have it out of sight, out of mind.
Old 06-07-2003, 07:53 PM

Originally posted by wally9mm
Bought it thru PNI direct, but you can buy locally at many Auto Stores. I routed the wire through the cutout for the auto dimming mirror. I moved it up top so that I can leave it in the car. From the outside you don't see it, wires or the suction cups. From inside the wire is basically invisible to me. I admit that it was convienent over the clock and I contemplated hardwiring there, but I rather have it out of sight, out of mind.
I think I will give the PNI 7000 a try. Installing it up top so that it is invisible from the outside makes sense, but you may have to crane your neck a bit to see the readings. I see you live in Bayside; I am in Whitestone. Although these are relatively good and safe neighorhoods, but having a highly visible gadget in the car may attract unnecessary attention. I believe we share the same concerns.