4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Got my first ticket tonight...

Old 03-30-2002, 11:21 PM

Got my first ticket tonight...

I'm on my way home from my girlfriend's house tonight at about 12:30 AM. I'm cruising down Route 4 when my radar detector beeps the "copper beep" and I was like oh f***! I ripped the detector down and threw it under the seat as the cop was pulling a U-ie. He says he clocked me at 68 in a 55, which I think I was only doing about 63-64. Wrote me up a ticket, and on top of it, he wrote me up a written warning about having an air freshener hanging from me rearview. Dude EVERBODY has some kind of crap hanging from their mirrors! But, according to the warning it "obstructs vision" or some bullcrap like that. Oh well, at least I'll be able to get supervision. Just thought I would care to share.

P.S. There goes some of the money I was saving for springs...
Old 03-30-2002, 11:40 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Got my first ticket tonight...

Originally posted by SoccrZ
I'm on my way home from my girlfriend's house tonight at about 12:30 AM. I'm cruising down Route 4 when my radar detector beeps the "copper beep" and I was like oh f***! I ripped the detector down and threw it under the seat as the cop was pulling a U-ie. He says he clocked me at 68 in a 55, which I think I was only doing about 63-64. Wrote me up a ticket, and on top of it, he wrote me up a written warning about having an air freshener hanging from me rearview. Dude EVERBODY has some kind of crap hanging from their mirrors! But, according to the warning it "obstructs vision" or some bullcrap like that. Oh well, at least I'll be able to get supervision. Just thought I would care to share.

Yeah that sucks. You weren't going that much over the speed limit! But the thing that surprised me is writing you up for having something hanging on your rearview mirror! What kind of crap is that?
Old 03-31-2002, 12:06 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Cardinal rule...never speed during the last days of the month. Officers that need to pad a few onto their quota will bust you for stuff that they might let slide a week or two before. Be careful out there...
Old 03-31-2002, 12:10 AM

you must have a ****ty radar detector...that it didn't warn u in time.......or u were the only one on the road and no one in front of you and cop turned on radar only to zap u in a 1mile range (with no other cars he zapped at that range in front of u)
Old 03-31-2002, 12:39 AM

True, radar dtectors don't always do the trick. That's why I keep speeding to a minimum at night... no visual warnings when it's dark. I'd say my detector (Passport 8500) has saved me 4 or 5 times when there was a cop up ahead clocking people in front of me... but my eyes have saved me soooo many more times. I amconstantly scanning for cruisers and Harleys when I'm driving. My girlfriend was amazed when I spotted a cop car backing out of a convenience store behind a gasoline refueling truck about 150 yards down the street on the opposite side.

Oh, and BTW, I don't have anything hanging from my rearview (that would make it harder for me to spot cops).
Old 03-31-2002, 12:47 AM

Originally posted by justmax
True, radar dtectors don't always do the trick. That's why I keep speeding to a minimum at night... no visual warnings when it's dark. I'd say my detector (Passport 8500) has saved me 4 or 5 times when there was a cop up ahead clocking people in front of me... but my eyes have saved me soooo many more times. I amconstantly scanning for cruisers and Harleys when I'm driving. My girlfriend was amazed when I spotted a cop car backing out of a convenience store behind a gasoline refueling truck about 150 yards down the street on the opposite side.

Oh, and BTW, I don't have anything hanging from my rearview (that would make it harder for me to spot cops).
very true...i have spotted cops in places where friends sitting with me didnt even see when we passed them :P
Old 03-31-2002, 01:19 AM

I'm on my way home from my girlfriend's house tonight at about 12:30 AM. I'm cruising down Route 4 when my radar detector beeps the "copper beep" and I was like oh f***! I ripped the detector down and threw it under the seat as the cop was pulling a U-ie...
where do you live to rip down your radar detector like that?...i think they are only illegal in virginia and washington state. Everywhere else, cops don't say shizzzz
Old 03-31-2002, 01:22 AM

Re: Re: Got my first ticket tonight...

Originally posted by itsgt

you must have a ****ty radar detector...that it didn't warn u in time.......or u were the only one on the road and no one in front of you and cop turned on radar only to zap u in a 1mile range (with no other cars he zapped at that range in front of u)

cops have a mile range on their radar guns? how is that possible?
Old 03-31-2002, 02:01 AM

he could be in canada too. illegal there. in vigina, washington and canada, does anyone know if cops there actually use VG-2 radar detectr detection devices? my vg-2 used to always go off here and there, but i live in ny where they dont care if you have a radar detector.
Old 03-31-2002, 04:39 AM
lgsmaximaman

yeah i got a ticket the day i brought my car out of the garage from winter, i went to the video store and was coming home, i was 200 feet from my girls house, thought about a run for it but there were to many cars to swing it in a dump it, the cop gave me a ticket for being too low, he measured from the body kit to the ground (supposed to measure from where the bumper is bolted to the frame) ticket for clear corners (thought they were fine as long as they had amber bulbs) and no plate light (that i can understand) and no front plate (that i kinda understand too) but i wasnt speeding i stopped at the stop sign and pulled out and he goes by me and swung it around. by the way i live in new hampshire, is there any way we could all get together and go to court and get a "lowrider" sticker or plate like antiques have, i mean say we get a law like that passed and we pay 30-50 extra dollars at reg time and then we are left alone, it would save so much money in tickets to just pend a little more at reg time...sorry so long i jsut think that us doing what we like and not hurting anyone or thing and getting stopped all the time is bull****......ross

Old 03-31-2002, 07:29 AM

according to his profile, he is from illinois, no point in having to be shy if you have a radar there
Old 03-31-2002, 07:34 AM

Originally posted by 95emeraldgxe
according to his profile, he is from illinois, no point in having to be shy if you have a radar there
Just incase most of you didn't know.. cops don't really look highly upon radar detectors, and it doesn't say much good about your driving habits either. It's alot easier to get out of a ticket without a radar detector slapped on your windshield. Well.. thats usually how it works around here
Old 03-31-2002, 07:41 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

sadly enough, hanging things from the rearview is illegal
Old 03-31-2002, 08:48 AM

Re: Re: Got my first ticket tonight...

Originally posted by Maximaxny

where do you live to rip down your radar detector like that?...i think they are only illegal in virginia and washington state. Everywhere else, cops don't say shizzzz
I live in Illinois, which I know they aren't illegal, but I thought if he saw it there he might be more inclined to give me a ticket. So much for that thinking. BTW the cop was on the other side of the road coming towards me, and at the last minute he flipped on the radar because my detector is very good when cops are clocking other in front of me. But it definately was stupid speeding at night at the end of the month...I've learned my lesson.
Old 03-31-2002, 09:48 AM

justmax is your car a 99 se-l in sherwood green? looks exactly like mine, what happened to it? i assume it got stolen?
Old 03-31-2002, 10:08 AM

considering you weren't going some outrageous speed over the limit, if you went and fought it with some excuse, I'm sure you could get some of that money taken off. That's what a couple of my friends did and it almost always works.
Old 03-31-2002, 10:14 AM

Originally posted by maximaracer28
justmax is your car a 99 se-l in sherwood green? looks exactly like mine, what happened to it? i assume it got stolen?
Hey man I tried to PM you, but your inbox is full...

Yeah she's a sherwood SE-L 5speed I'm putting up a regular pic of her in my profile in case you want to see the rest. No they didn't steal her, just tore up the dash & ****ed up the rear seat trying to get into the trunk. State Farm took care of everything, and now she's better than before, including a nice new alarm. I noticed another guy with a look-alike, I think it was Krzymax (or something like that)...
Old 03-31-2002, 11:10 AM

Haha I am exactly like you, eibachs, sherwood green and beige leather but I am auto, close enough
Old 03-31-2002, 11:43 AM

Haha I am exactly like you, eibachs, sherwood green and beige leather but I am auto, close enough
LOL, and a Simpsons fan?
Remember Wiggum singing Bob Marley?

Shut up Lou I love this song... SHUT UP!

I'm *Jamming*.... *Jamming*... and I hope you like jamming too...

hehe, man that was funny.

The dealer only had 2 leftover '99s back in August '99... a Champagne Auto GLE and a Sherwood 5-speed SE-L. The choice for me was simple.
Old 03-31-2002, 11:46 AM

Haha, you have aim? And I think we all remember the time that it was april fools day, bart shook up the can of beer in the paint shaker and the house exploded with beer....Pretzels I repeat we need pretzels! haha, my aim is maximalimited99 if you want to im me...
Old 03-31-2002, 12:11 PM

Haha, you have aim? And I think we all remember the time that it was april fools day, bart shook up the can of beer in the paint shaker and the house exploded with beer....Pretzels I repeat we need pretzels! haha, my aim is maximalimited99 if you want to im me...
An *April* fool if you will...

HAHA! Dude I haven't used AIM in forever! I'll have to get it hooked up later. I'll be shooting my new Makarov 9mm today (it's actually probably older than me), then I have a new 80Gig Seagate to install! Woohoo! It's all about cars, PC's, and guns... well, OK, the girlfriend needs equal time too, but that'll work itself out. She's at her grandma's today for Easter, so I get time to d|ck around with my toys. Hmm... maybe a carwash too.
Old 03-31-2002, 12:36 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by lgsmaximaman
he measured from the body kit to the ground (supposed to measure from where the bumper is bolted to the frame)

ok thats bull****

ticket for clear corners (thought they were fine as long as they had amber bulbs)

I believe the federal law is that you must have a yellow reflector on the front left/right of your vehicle.....if you look at every other stock vehicle you will see that about 95% of them have this yellow reflctor on the sides of them....the amber bulb will only help in deterring police away from your car....

...ross

hey thats my name too
-Ross
Old 04-01-2002, 07:36 AM

Originally posted by NickStam
sadly enough, hanging things from the rearview is illegal
...anyone ever stop to think why this is?

Last week two members of the Maxima.org Canadin forum were involved in left-turn accidents where someone "didn't see the other guy coming". Do you think there's a possibility that they had something hanging from their rear-views?

Try this - Drive 100feet or so behind a bus or large truck and hold up your thumb about 1-1/2 to 2 feet from your face (about the same distance as your rear-view). Move the thumb slightly and see how easily that bus or truck disappears.

Consider that most of the sh*t hanging from most rear-views is a lot bigger than your thumb. And that there always seems to be a pedestrian stepping off the curb, or another vehicle pulling out of a side-street when you least expect it. It only makes sense not to have anything hanging from your rear-view.

Don't get me started about people who have CD's hanging form their rear-views. What's the thinking there? "I want something bigger than my fist blocking my view with the added bonus of it being able to spin around and reflect the sun into my eyes and maybe into the eyes of other drivers. Yep - that's what I want!!!" Or maybe they just don't think at all - except for that they're looking way cool.

...end of rant.

Mark
Old 04-01-2002, 07:48 AM

another newbie ranting on....however this is something i agree with....nice way of comparing the thumb theory with the rest of what you said....here here!
Old 04-01-2002, 07:58 AM

Originally posted by rguida
another newbie ranting on....however this is something i agree with....nice way of comparing the thumb theory with the rest of what you said....here here!
...but at least I'm a Newbie who knows when he's "ranting on".

Check my "profile" for more rants