5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

exhausts/mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2001, 11:59 PM

i dont know much about exhausts/mufflers, but i know i want 1...i want sumthing that looks like this:

do i need to get 1 custom made or can i find one like this that i can juss get bolted on or whatever? and also, im not gonna be getting a y-pipe so how loud would it be...i want a more deep-bassy sound rather than loud...
A_T_W
Old 07-11-2001, 07:08 AM

I purchased a universal fit Magnaflow muffler (with the DTM tips) for my car. I had to have a muffler shop cut off the stock muffler and weld a small pipe to get the new muffler in the correct position. They charged me about $50 to do the install including replacing the stock resonator with a straight pipe. The muffler looks and sounds great for less than the cost of a Stillen unit.
Old 07-11-2001, 11:13 AM

I want to add DTM tips to my stock muffler, but not sure about it. Wouldn't the water from condensation and what-not just sit in the muffler instead of dripping out when you punch it?
Old 07-12-2001, 09:19 PM

Originally posted by DNA21
I purchased a universal fit Magnaflow muffler (with the DTM tips) for my car. I had to have a muffler shop cut off the stock muffler and weld a small pipe to get the new muffler in the correct position. They charged me about $50 to do the install including replacing the stock resonator with a straight pipe. The muffler looks and sounds great for less than the cost of a Stillen unit.
what bout the type of exhaust i have posted? anybody know anything bout that type of exhaust?
A_T_W
Old 07-12-2001, 09:40 PM

Thats a DTM tip. It's a good company. They don't make a exhaust for our cars but you can take those tip and or one of there mufflers and get it fitted to yours.
Old 07-12-2001, 11:59 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by MaxedOut2g
i dont know much about exhausts/mufflers, but i know i want 1...i want sumthing that looks like this:

do i need to get 1 custom made or can i find one like this that i can juss get bolted on or whatever? and also, im not gonna be getting a y-pipe so how loud would it be...i want a more deep-bassy sound rather than loud...
A_T_W

i saw one white 5th gen with DTM tipped muffler at the Maxima day. it looked pretty good on his car. i believe he said he had Tenzo exhaust with DTM tips.
Old 07-13-2001, 05:05 AM

Originally posted by MaxedOut2g

what bout the type of exhaust i have posted? anybody know anything bout that type of exhaust?
A_T_W
Magnaflow makes a universal Mirror Finish Stainless Steel muffler with dual 3" DTM tips. This is the exact muffler I purchased for $168.

Magnaflow part # 14803
Old 07-13-2001, 06:50 AM
Chillboy

I have a dtm muffler right now and Ive had no problems with water sitting in the pipes because there is a small hole in each pipe and water drains from there. the only thing i dont like about the muffler is that it sticks out of the car too far... ive been burned once taking stuff out of the trunk and my gf has been burned twice, once washing mah car... kekekeke... but since im upgrading to greddy, ill be selling the muffler at maxus.

Old 07-17-2001, 11:08 PM

Magnaflow question for DNA21

Originally posted by DNA21

Magnaflow makes a universal Mirror Finish Stainless Steel muffler with dual 3" DTM tips. This is the exact muffler I purchased for $168.

Magnaflow part # 14803
I am thinking about doing the same setup.

I will go with straight tips. I can't decide between part # 14815 (dual 3" diameter tips, 7" long) and part # 14816 (dual 3.5" diameter tips, 7" long). Do you think the 3.5" will fit OK? (I will be putting the Stillen Aero kit pretty soon). If not, I'll go with the 3".

The specs of yours (part # 14803) are:
Dual 3" diameter tips, 7" long

but I suppose you already know that

Oh, yes. Just looked at DynoMax Ultra Flo SS. Any thoughts?
Old 07-18-2001, 12:25 AM

Has anyone ever swapped to a dual exhaust?
Old 07-18-2001, 06:06 AM

Re: Magnaflow question for DNA21

Originally posted by naidd

I will go with straight tips. I can't decide between part # 14815 (dual 3" diameter tips, 7" long) and part # 14816 (dual 3.5" diameter tips, 7" long). Do you think the 3.5" will fit OK? (I will be putting the Stillen Aero kit pretty soon). If not, I'll go with the 3".

With the Stillen Aero kit I would stay with the 3” tips because of the notch that Nissan put in the bumper to clear the stock exhaust. If you can, get the Magnaflow distributor to let you take the muffler out of the box and put it next to the stock muffler to give you an idea of how it will look.

Don’t know much about the Dynomax setup. I just had a friend put one on his Caviler. Looked good but didn’t make as much noise as I would expect. But, it is a 4 cylinder after all…
Old 07-18-2001, 06:37 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Magnaflow question for DNA21

When you're ready to consider replacing your muffler (check my response to your post in http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=52390), go to a muffler shop that sells both Magnaflow and DynoMax. Then have them remove your stock muffler (and sell it to me, BTW) and bolt on the replacements one at a time so you can audition them. That's the only way to be sure of what you're getting.
Old 07-18-2001, 06:46 AM

Re: Re: Magnaflow question for DNA21

Originally posted by y2kse

When you're ready to consider replacing your muffler (check my response to your post in http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=52390), go to a muffler shop that sells both Magnaflow and DynoMax. Then have them remove your stock muffler (and sell it to me, BTW) and bolt on the replacements one at a time so you can audition them. That's the only way to be sure of what you're getting.
That would be perfect only if the muffler shop has both in stock, and the guys over there are willing to do this.

I think the chance of finding such a shop is quite small, but I'll give it my best shot.

Anyone in NJ/NY/CT know of such a place?

Oh, and yk2se, u da man!
Old 07-18-2001, 06:50 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Magnaflow question for DNA21

That would be perfect only if the muffler shop has both in stock, and the guys over there are willing to do this.

I think the chance of finding such a shop is quite small, but I'll give it my best shot.

Oh, and yk2se, u da man!
Most decent muffler shops carry both brands, and many carry Flowmaster as well. Keep in mind that Magnaflow, Flowmaster and DynoMax are the three most popular brands of aftermarket performance mufflers. Take your time and look around until you find a shop in your area that carries them.
Old 07-18-2001, 01:18 PM
JET Speed Lab

Re: Re: Re: Magnaflow question for DNA21

speed world on queens blvd 70 something ave, i think 73. kinda across from golden billards. they can order or might have ur stuff, dontknow how much they charge