General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

might get to race a CL-S real soon...

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2001, 11:19 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I talked to a member here who I found out lives in my area. He has a friend with a CL-S. I'll see if we can set up a race between me and him. I don't know if I can take him or not. I haven't race a CL-S since I put a few mods on. Well, "if" he beat me, I think it'll be close. I think I better "manually shift" if I want stand a chance. I might try with leaving it in Drive too, to see any difference. Wish me luck.
Old 07-12-2001, 11:24 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Originally posted by Cumalot
I talked to a member here who I found out lives in my area. He has a friend with a CL-S. I'll see if we can set up a race between me and him. I don't know if I can take him or not. I haven't race a CL-S since I put a few mods on. Well, if he do beat me, I think it'll be close. I think I better "manually shift" if I want stand a chance. Wish me luck.
[being stupid]
CL's suck. Why are you posting this? Who cares? Acuras are evil.
[/being stupid]

Sounds like an intriguing race....

Good luck!
Old 07-12-2001, 11:27 AM

I talked to a member here who I found out lives in my area. He has a friend with a CL-S. I'll see if we can set up a race between me and him. I don't know if I can take him or not. I haven't race a CL-S since I put a few mods on. Well, "if" he beat me, I think it'll be close. I think I better "manually shift" if I want stand a chance. I might try with leaving it in Drive too, to see any difference. Wish me luck.
two questions:

1. how much extra power do you think your mods make?
2. are you planning to remove the subs you have listed in your .sig? (maximize that weight advantage...)

good luck and good racing.
Old 07-12-2001, 11:53 AM

Originally posted by tankmonkey

two questions:

2. are you planning to remove the subs you have listed in your .sig? (maximize that weight advantage...)

1. Stock hp is 190, with the mods, I estimate the hp is now about 220-230.

cai = 7-10hp?
y-pipe= 15-20hp?
cat-back exhaust= 5-10hp?

I'm not sure exactly, I haven't dynoed yet. Whatever the case might be, it's still less than the CL-S. However, I have beaten a GTP that had more hp than my car too, so it's not always about hp. Win or lose, I think it'll be fun.

2. I think I will remove the subs. I'll keep my 17s on though.

I'll keep you guys posted. We probably race this weekend.
Old 07-12-2001, 12:06 PM
PhatGuy

New Record

Wow you got on this one in only 8mins flat! You love Maximas as much as us fo' sho'! By any chance do you go to any Acura forums..just curious?

PS I think it will be close for the first gear and half or so then I think the CL-S will pull on you at the bottom of third onwards. Should be fun...film it!

two questions:

Old 07-12-2001, 12:44 PM
Administrator

on paper you loose
Old 07-12-2001, 01:14 PM

Originally posted by PhatGuy
Wow you got on this one in only 8mins flat! You love Maximas as much as us fo' sho'! By any chance do you go to any Acura forums..just curious?
man logs into computer...

computer logs into maxima.org...

phatguy on maxima.org...

(we're gonna need a bigger boat.)

actually, I *do* scan some of the acura forums, but quite honestly, it's not nearly as fun when everyone else has the same ride. if I want to check out a cl-s, I'll look at my own.

the motorcycle clubs I've been in I've enjoyed because not everyone rides the same bike (even though it sometimes seems like everyones' on a cbr600 or an r1).

it's just cool learning about other peoples' toys and why they choose to ride/drive what they do.
Old 07-12-2001, 01:23 PM

I'm not sure exactly, I haven't dynoed yet. Whatever the case might be, it's still less than the CL-S. However, I have beaten a GTP that had more hp than my car too, so it's not always about hp. Win or lose, I think it'll be fun.
absolutely.

I was really just trying to get a feel for how the maxima responds to non-forced induction mods.
Old 07-12-2001, 02:29 PM
PhatGuy

Your going to "Needs non-Maxima Friends" Wow I take it as a compliment that a person who says they drive an Acura CL-S spends so much time here? Do you really own one or you trying to decide between a Maxima or CL-S? You seem to only reply to post regarding Acura..just funny how fast you got onto this topic..just ironic I guess...

What city/state do you live in?

absolutely.

I was really just trying to get a feel for how the maxima responds to non-forced induction mods.

Old 07-12-2001, 02:42 PM

Hey Tubbs

You got the right idea about filming it. Maybe we will try that. I have to see about borrowing a video camera. You down for that cumalot?
Old 07-12-2001, 02:48 PM
PhatGuy

Hey Crocket!

Ya filming is always cool...that way it isn't just talk on the net like a lot of crap I've been reading on here lately. If you tape it just be around the 1/4 mark when they fly by.....off the line is cool but hard to get a good angle when they hit 1/4 mile or more...even 1/8 mile might alright. Otherwise you gotta have a passenger in both cars. Cumalot what other cars have you gone up against and how were the outcomes?

Originally posted by jpMAXse
You got the right idea about filming it. Maybe we will try that. I have to see about borrowing a video camera. You down for that cumalot?

Old 07-12-2001, 02:56 PM

Your going to "Needs non-Maxima Friends" Wow I take it as a compliment that a person who says they drive an Acura CL-S spends so much time here? Do you really own one or you trying to decide between a Maxima or CL-S? You seem to only reply to post regarding Acura..just funny how fast you got onto this topic..just ironic I guess...

What city/state do you live in?

yes, I'm leasing a cl-s. I'd say I have a certain "perspective" into things cl-s/tl-s related, hence my responses posts dealing with such topics. I read other posts, but I don't pipe up like this unless I know what I'm talking about...

irony is the incongruity between what is expected to happen and what actually happens. therefore, the fact that I'm an acura owner and my posts are primarily responses to acura related threads would be anything but ironic.

houston, tx.
Old 07-12-2001, 03:05 PM

yes, I'm leasing a cl-s. I'd say I have a certain "perspective" into things cl-s/tl-s related, hence my responses posts dealing with such topics. I read other posts, but I don't pipe up like this unless I know what I'm talking about...

irony is the incongruity between what is expected to happen and what actually happens. therefore, the fact that I'm an acura owner and my posts are primarily responses to acura related threads would be anything but ironic.

houston, tx.
WOW!! I've never actually read one of your posts, but I have heard many things about you and I agree with every one of them! Flaming with class... you don't see that everyday. Bravo.

Old 07-12-2001, 03:06 PM
PhatGuy

Ironic that you posted 8mins after it was first posted. I think you might have the new record!

maxima.org
Refresh..Refresh..Refresh..Refresh.. Acura Post on the Maxima.org....targeting...post. You must go crazy on a Acura forum with those Acura posts??

There some Maxima drivers on the .org in Houston, TX how bout you post when your going to be at the track again to beat your 14.8? If anyone wants to watch or even go head to head it would be pretty cool don't you think? Let us know?

Old 07-12-2001, 03:12 PM

Do it. Film it. Show it.
Old 07-12-2001, 03:15 PM

Ironic that you posted 8mins after it was first posted. I think you might have the new record!

maxima.org
Refresh..Refresh..Refresh..Refresh.. Acura Post on the Maxima.org....targeting...post. You must go crazy on a Acura forum with those Acura posts??
is there some significance to 8 minutes? is it a maxima thing? just a phatguy thing?

you seem to be fixating on it is all.
Old 07-12-2001, 03:20 PM
PhatGuy

A lil of both but more me. Let us know when you are going to be at the track again?

Thanks for dropping by!

I think I mentioned it before but I like your name...tankmonkey...good name for a CL-S guy...that is a compliment!

is there some significance to 8 minutes? is it a maxima thing? just a phatguy thing?

you seem to be fixating on it is all.

Old 07-12-2001, 03:27 PM

PhatGuy, consider this "Official Warning #1":

Don't continue to post in my forums anymore if your going to make snide comments to non-Maxima owners.

I'm tired of posts with this tone in my forums. Obviously, tankmonkey is smarter than to engage.

My patience is gone with you.

Have a nice day.

Old 07-12-2001, 03:29 PM

There some Maxima drivers on the .org in Houston, TX how bout you post when your going to be at the track again to beat your 14.8? If anyone wants to watch or even go head to head it would be pretty cool don't you think? Let us know?
I doubt I'll be beating my 14.8s during the 100F, 90% humidity of the typical (and current) houston summer.

however, a trip to baytown or some other track might be in order if some of the other folks are interested.
Old 07-12-2001, 04:03 PM
PhatGuy

WoooHoooo I'm Special!

Snide remarks? Just "facts" and compliments! Tankmonkey are you offended in anyway here? I guess I'm special since there are more than enough "snide" remarks on the forums to non maxima owners let alone maxima owners. I guess I'm the special example even though none of my comments are meant to be snide. Thanks anyways! I'll treasure this warning.

How many warnings do I get? What do I win when I get to the final warning? What exactly gets a warning? Do special rules apply to me or everyone on your forums? Btw I only post on 5th gen, OT, Feedback and this one.

Tank thanks for letting us know when you will be at the track again look forward to that post...14.8 is great for a stock CL-S be interesting to see how you do again when people are watching (fact not snide)?

My day was great..thank you!

Originally posted by bill99gxe
PhatGuy, consider this "Official Warning #1":

Don't continue to post in my forums anymore if your going to make snide comments to non-Maxima owners.

I'm tired of posts with this tone in my forums. Obviously, tankmonkey is smarter than to engage.

My patience is gone with you.

Have a nice day.

Old 07-12-2001, 04:36 PM

I have no problem with filming. Actually, it would be great! Too bad Matt hasn't uploaded or got a copy of the race between me and the GTP when I was at the Mississippi race track. That was one heck of a close race! Btw, my car is at the dealer right now, but I should get it back by tomorrow. Anyway, go ahead, film it. As far as winning or losing, on paper, I should have lost to that GTP too, but I didn't. I'll find out soon enough. The problem here is we have to find somewhere good to race. I don't want to get busted by the donut patrol for racing. So, we have to be careful. I don't really race that often. I don't go up and challenge people. If they "rev" at me, that's a challenge I be more than happy to take. As far as what kind of cars I have beaten, I don't remember exactly because most weren't much of a contest. I remember my losses more than my wins.
Old 07-13-2001, 05:52 AM

Re: WoooHoooo I'm Special!

Snide remarks? Just "facts" and compliments!

I like how you put the word facts in quotes.......you pretty much understand your being an a$$ yet you continue to test me.

Tankmonkey are you offended in anyway here? I guess I'm special since there are more than enough "snide" remarks on the forums to non maxima owners let alone maxima owners.

Tankmonkey posted nothing to warrant your smarta$$ comments in the first place. YOU started it, YOU are responsible, and YOU have violated the agreement to register on the forums here.

And, no, your not special. You're a problem.

I guess I'm the special example even though none of my comments are meant to be snide. Thanks anyways! I'll treasure this warning.

Just keep digging your own grave here.....

How many warnings do I get?

As many as I see fit. Historically, it's been one and then I start deleting your posts without warning. But you never know, I may feel "special" today myself.

What do I win when I get to the final warning?

Well, first you get the pleasure of seeing ZERO of your posts displayed in any forum I moderate.

Then, you get banned by Jamie.

Then, you go somewhere else and leave the contributors alone.

How does that sound?

What exactly gets a warning?

Flaming or trying to initiate a flame by attacking members, particularly ones who are actually able to post in complete sentences and spell will get a warning every time. And then, continuing this in subsequent threads under the guise that you're "trying to get along" and "bill is opressing me". I'm evil enough without having to deal with members like yourself. I've seen it all in here, so your tactics won't get by me.....

Do special rules apply to me or everyone on your forums?

Special rules apply to those that use my forums as a b!tching hole instead of a resource to both sponge AND contribute to. Right now, the special rules apply to you.

Btw I only post on 5th gen, OT, Feedback and this one.

Cool, I suggest eliminating this one from your list. You've more than worn out your welcome here.

Tank thanks for letting us know when you will be at the track again look forward to that post...14.8 is great for a stock CL-S be interesting to see how you do again when people are watching (fact not snide)?

Trying to do this to legitimize yourself in front of other members so that I look like the bad guy has been tried and has failed every time. I suggest stopping the patronizing and either posting relevant responses or staying the hell out of this forum. I hope that's clear enough. If not, www.dictionary.com can be of great service.

My day was great..thank you!
Mine, and many other members, was not because of your need to look like a man at the expense of bandwidth and everyone's time.
Old 07-13-2001, 06:02 AM
Administrator

Re: Re: WoooHoooo I'm Special!

Then, you go somewhere else and leave the contributors alone.

How does that sound?

sounds like clubmaxima to me

Bill you are in violation of not using [woodear style] [/woodear style] VB Code in your post.. you have been warned.. if you continue to do so.. you will not be allowed to use this style anymore and your information will be forwarded to the Off Topic Forum where you will be tried by District Attorney Tetsuo and Judge Woodear let this be the last time i tell you bill99gxe ... I am watching you
Old 07-13-2001, 06:16 AM

without the VB mod I say you lose. Even with it the race will be close and depend on what speed you race up to.
Old 07-13-2001, 06:23 AM
PhatGuy

Re: Re: WoooHoooo I'm Special!

And, no, your not special. You're a problem.

I'm evil enough without having to deal with members like yourself. I've seen it all in here, so your tactics won't get by me.....

Special rules apply to those that use my forums as a b!tching hole instead of a resource to both sponge AND contribute to. Right now, the special rules apply to you.

Cool, I suggest eliminating this one from your list. You've more than worn out your welcome here.

Fine

Old 07-13-2001, 06:32 AM

Originally posted by theblue
without the VB mod I say you lose. Even with it the race will be close and depend on what speed you race up to.
If you run a 14.84 with intake and catback on a 5 spd, Cumalot should be close to that with a CAI, Y-pipe, and catback. His rims may slow him up a little, but it should be a close race because a stock CL-S has 1/4 times reported between 14.8 to 15.1. The CAI on the CL-S gives that number a boost, but depending on the conditions, it ought to be a good race.
Old 07-13-2001, 06:38 AM
Administrator

let me maxima edumacate that a$$

apart from don's "magical" run.. no one with an AUTO has run 14's with bolt-on's..

second of all you can't compare theblue's car with any other car here.. his car is exceptional a true Factory Freak and ontop of that he is a great driver

If you run a 14.84 with intake and catback on a 5 spd, Cumalot should be close to that with a CAI, Y-pipe, and catback. His rims may slow him up a little, but it should be a close race because a stock CL-S has 1/4 times reported between 14.8 to 15.1. The CAI on the CL-S gives that number a boost, but depending on the conditions, it ought to be a good race.
Old 07-13-2001, 06:49 AM

Originally posted by SprintMax

let me maxima edumacate that a$$

apart from don's "magical" run.. no one with an AUTO has run 14's with bolt-on's..

second of all you can't compare theblue's car with any other car here.. his car is exceptional a true Factory Freak and ontop of that he is a great driver

Sorry, I didn't mean to ruffle anyone's feathers. I have never driven an auto max, I have a 5spd. I'm not saying I'm in the 14's, but I didn't think it was impossible for an auto to get there. Also, some publications report the CL at 15.1, so my point is: it still may be a close one.
Old 07-13-2001, 07:01 AM

The Blue's car is a 5spd, and he's a great driver. That makes a big difference. Even with my mods, I think the closest I come to are low 15s. I ran a 15.5 at the track with my mods a few months back. I think that number should be close to lower 15s, given the track condition. I manually shift on most of my runs. I ran once leaving it in Drive, I got a 16.0, mind you though, that was earlier in the day. Track temp. was at 130 degrees! Man...I need that VB mod. Don...where is it?!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think most of the guys that ran with those great numbers live up in the North. So, the weather is much cooler than down here. Take Matt(Mardigrasmax) NA run at the track, for example. He ran a 14.8 if I remember correctly. If the run was up North, where it's cooler, I think he could have got better numbers. Btw, he has a '98 5spd. Maybe some of them Texas guys can give me some numbers to compare, since they know what I'm talking(HOT *** weather!)about.
Old 07-13-2001, 07:08 AM
Administrator

its not the race i am commenting on.. anything can happend in a race.. I am commenting that you would think that theblue's numbers and car would be close to any modded auto

Sorry, I didn't mean to ruffle anyone's feathers. I have never driven an auto max, I have a 5spd. I'm not saying I'm in the 14's, but I didn't think it was impossible for an auto to get there. Also, some publications report the CL at 15.1, so my point is: it still may be a close one.
Old 07-13-2001, 07:11 AM
Administrator

Nice try most of the fast times are down south.. ie. Houston and FL... don't for get.. Don's magical run was in Houston .. and Larry's 14.3 with two bolt on's was in Tampa

The Blue's car is a 5spd, and he's a great driver. That makes a big difference. Even with my mods, I think the closest I come to are low 15s. I ran a 15.5 at the track with my mods a few months back. I think that number should be close to lower 15s, given the track condition. I manually shift on most of my runs. I ran once leaving it in Drive, I got a 16.0, mind you though, that was earlier in the day. Track temp. was at 130 degrees! Man...I need that VB mod. Don...where is it?!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think most of the guys that ran with those great numbers live up in the North. So, the weather is much cooler than down here. Take Matt(Mardigrasmax) NA run at the track, for example. He ran a 14.8 if I remember correctly. If the run was up North, where it's cooler, I think he could have got better numbers. Btw, he has a '98 5spd. Maybe some of them Texas guys can give me some numbers to compare, since they know what I'm talking(HOT *** weather!)about.
Old 07-13-2001, 07:18 AM

if you can run in the low 15s, it'll be a great race. my cl-s has run as low as 14.8s at the track here in houston in cold weather, but I would expect low 15s to be more typical for the car in summertime conditions. on top of that, those sub-15 sec runs were with massive wheelhop off the line, so runs like that are pretty painful for a driver who cares about his car.
Old 07-13-2001, 07:23 AM

Comment on the north/south thing:

I'm used to running in 60-75 degree weather on my better runs, but I have found that the humidity has been VERY high still. I would guess that the lower humidity and higher temps. down south make it about even.
Old 07-13-2001, 07:25 AM

Nice try most of the fast times are down south.. ie. Houston and FL... don't for get.. Don's magical run was in Houston .. and Larry's 14.3 with two bolt on's was in Tampa

Well, I did say to correct me if I'm wrong. I didn't know. Wow, I wish I could witness some of those fast runs. I applaud those guys. I know it take skills to make runs like that. I think Don is the only auto in that group. For most of us autos, it hardly take much skills at all. Oh well, maybe it's time for a 5spd. tranny swap.
Old 07-13-2001, 07:31 AM

Well, I did say to correct me if I'm wrong. I didn't know. Wow, I wish I could witness some of those fast runs. I applaud those guys. I know it take skills to make runs like that. I think Don is the only auto in that group. For most of us autos, it hardly take much skills at all. Oh well, maybe it's time for a 5spd. tranny swap.
there are just so many more variables and driving styles with a 5spd. I alwys think of something that I should have done different when I'm driving home from the track. I am going to attempt to shorten the distance that I push down on the clutch by just a little in an attempt to get a 14.7 I have run the trap speed and 60' for a 14.7, just not both on the same run. Anyway (back to my point)... 5spds are just more fun because of the control you have over your engine.
Old 07-13-2001, 07:57 AM

Re: Re: Re: WoooHoooo I'm Special!

sounds like clubmaxima to me

You wanna babysit him? Why?

Bill you are in violation of not using [woodear style] [/woodear style] VB Code in your post.. you have been warned.. if you continue to do so.. you will not be allowed to use this style anymore and your information will be forwarded to the Off Topic Forum where you will be tried by District Attorney Tetsuo and Judge Woodear let this be the last time i tell you bill99gxe ... I am watching you
Unfortunately, the VB code style does not apply as this is serious......I somehow get the feeling you won't be seeing any more posts from PhatGuy in this forum for a while......

I do appreciate the humor though......
Old 07-13-2001, 08:02 AM

Cumalot

You should race me first as a dry run. I know how bad that CL-S beat me, so I could probably tell you if you will win or lose by how bad you beat me. I never went to a track and got timeslips, but I am guessing that I run mid to high 15's right now with our crappy weather. All I have is a VE 5spd with intake.
Old 07-13-2001, 08:18 AM
Administrator

Re: Re: Re: Re: WoooHoooo I'm Special!

you did it again?

babysit him? why? i don't visit that site?

well sometimes we need a little humor around this place.. its like everyone is going to bust..

Unfortunately, the VB code style does not apply as this is serious......I somehow get the feeling you won't be seeing any more posts from PhatGuy in this forum for a while......

I do appreciate the humor though...... [/B]
Administrator

you did it again?

well sometimes we need a little humor around this place.. its like everyone is going to bust..

Administrator

you did it again?

Quick Reply: might get to race a CL-S real soon...