4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Maxima Black Leather Interior Swap Complete! *Pics* 56k Leave!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2005, 06:11 PM
Custom Molding King!

Maxima Black Leather Interior Swap Complete! *Pics* 56k Leave!

Hey guys it has been 3 months to get all of the parts to swap my boring old dirty tan leather interior into this streamline black leather interior with full 99 maxima swap heated seats, digital odometer, and of couse 2 tone steering with full functional airbag, don't ask were to get steering wheel unless you want to pay $537 for the damn thing, the airbag cost less then that no joke lol, anyway moving on, I have pics below, be sure to notice the little details such as Immoblizer system around the ignition, 97-99 center console, 99 SE limited digital guages, i30 tilt headrests, i30 chrome door handles, i30 gas door popper (working) next to dimmer, Donnelly auto dimming mirror with compass and outside temp, silver accent pieces, and of course the 2003 Altima steering with matching SRS airbag, this car is not a 98-99 it is a simple 95 with full 99 interior swap, I am very happy with results and I really hope you guys enjoy the pics. Sorry the car has few minor things to finish such as the silver covers for rear door windows, ashtray, radio beziel, and of course shifter beziel. I know the car is primed too, bare with me it is getting painted as soon as I replace the front end and fix minor problems, also keep an eye out for a 5spd conversion on this car very soon, again enjoy the pics.

If any of you guys have any questions about anything I did to my interior, please feel free to ask, I am willing to help you guys out to the best I can, and I am glad to be apart of this org.
Old 02-03-2005, 06:12 PM
Custom Molding King!

More pics

Old 02-03-2005, 06:31 PM
Custom Molding King!

I want that steering wheel. Did it just bolt up?
It was a 100% bolt on. I was taking a risk because at the time I wasnt sure it would fit but I was lucky it fit perfectly. You need a security tool to get your airbag off. I had to go get that tool.

Are you sure the airbag will work? I dont know if it is the same with Nissan but 2001+ Toyotas/Lexus have dual stage airbags that supposedly will not work with earlier model single stage airbags. I dont know if the 2k2 2k3 Altimas had dual stage airbags
Yes this Altima airbag is dual stage, but I also swapped the whole airbag system incorperating the 2k3 altima airbag computer, so this isnt a task to be done for the weak.

what year altima did that steering wheel come out of and why is it 2 tone? you paint it?horn work? cruise work? heated? cause i dont see the cruise buttons on it.
and what mirror is that? i am wondering how you got it to mount cause it looks like it is mounted on the windshield instead of the roof linear. and what did you do about the mount in the roof linear where the old mirror went?
and for all the guys, maxima and altimas sterring wheels fit on 4th gens. i had a 2k2 heated one black leather on my max, a 2k maxima steering wheel also and a i30 one also.
I had to aquire a 2k2 altima steering, then had it custom made 2 tone, took them 3 weeks and $600, I then used a 2k3 maxima clockspring, custom wired some stuff now the horn works, I am waiting to get the cruise buttons frm the 2k3 maxima other then that everything works no heat on it but its ok heh, that mirror is a Donnelly mirror. I used an install kit from autozone it is about $6 for it, mounts this metal thing onto the glass of your windshield, and as for the top part of old mirror I will show you closer pic of what I did, I glued a plastic part and you will see when I get ya a pic.

I'm gonna be swapping my tan interior for black and I wanted to know if there's any things I should watch out for and what order I should do stuff in.
First off here is the order:
You take out the old tan, you start with taking all the seats out, then take the center console off, then you take the dash off, then you take the door panels off, then you take the seatbelts off, then you take all off the plastic stuff (a pillars and rear pillars and such)then you do the headliner, and last you do the carpet, putting the black interior is just backwards, you start by putting the carpet in first, get it? if you need any details about anything let me know.

I thought ALL 99 maximas came with side airbags on the seats...
Only the leather trim package on the 98's/99's had side airbags.
Not true. It wasn't standard on all '98's and '99's with leather. It was a special package on top of the leather. I beleive it was called a 'Deluxe seating package' for '98 and in '99 they called it a 'cold weather package'. It also came with heated seats, heated morrors and low washer fluid warning.
Old 02-03-2005, 06:39 PM
Custom Molding King!

Do you have a write up on how to do this?
Really cant do a writup, not that hard honestly, grab a haynes manual for a maxima and it tells how to get the dash off, I really explored when taking the old interior out, so ya know goodlukc and if you have any detailed instructions I can try my best to explain them how to do what ever you need to do.

How much did all of it cost?
Didn't really keep track, about $1800 when done finally, steering was about $600 alone, airbag $400 rest misc parts total $800 for total of $1800, was really fun time installing it too, all went in with no problems.

did u just get the parts off another car or did you paint/ recover them?
Every single part is off some sort of A32 with black parts (except fopr the steering wheel). Not a single part painted or a single part done half assed. I wanted to do it right and I did- no offense to anyone who painted their parts.

The front seats are still maxima seats, the rear are also maxima seats. I am working to aquire rear i30 headrest seats, it honestly doesent matter its not i30 leather becasuse I am going to get 2 tone leather soon enough, just need to find myself i30 rear headrest seats.

What year did they have tilt headrests?
It was an I30 feature, not sure what year Max they started to put them in IF they even did.

I actually bought that same mirror. I have just been hesitant to install it because I love how our stock mirror is ceiling mounted, I really don't want a button glued to my windshield. Can you post close-ups of your mirror?

Are you (or is it even possible?) going to add the '99 electronic climate control too?

How the heck did you add the '99 imobilizer system??

Those headrests are awesome. Any tips where I can find some black ones? Does the black Infiniti leather and stitching match the Maxima seat leather/stitching well?

How did you get silver trim pieces? That doesn't look like a stick-on kit to me.

Did you add Homelink?
To answer your question on the mirror, I will get pics of the celing area to show you how OEM it really looks up there.

It is very possible to add a 99 Auto climate control, it is quite easy too when you have all the parts from the 99 on hand.

The silver trim pieces were custom made by me. I will be posting how I did it on the next post in a minuite.

Yes there is Homelink sir.
Old 02-03-2005, 09:42 PM
Custom Molding King!

Nice job! Where did you get the aluminum dash kit?
That dash was custom painted, 3 state process and week to do, amazing isnt it? cost less then a kit, and looks oem too heh.

I am anxiously awaiting the writeup. Hope you will find time to do it.
Alright then, here are the steps to paint a dash with the paint being durable still to any scratches and anything you can throw at it.

Step 1: Remove all parts you want painted, in order to paint window switches it is best to use the oem wood pieces because the surface is smoother.

Step 2: Prep all teh parts you are going to be painting by water sanding it with 400 grid sandpaper, after that wash with hot water and soap, then dry the parts with cloth products that don't leave fibers on the surface.

Step 3: Start painting the parts with rattle can primer, do 3-4 light coats of primer, each coat give it 5-10 minuites to dry before moving onto the next coat.

Step 4: Water sand the primer lightly with 800 grid sandpaper, wash off then dry witht he same cloths you have been using to dry it off before.

Step 5: Paint 3-4 layers of the desired color you want to use, the paint I was using was silver from any auto parts store. I put a nice layer on every 10-15 minuites letting the prior layer time to dry.

Step 6: Place parts in oven for about 3 miunuites at 250 degrees, this helps the paint major, if you skip this step I can guarantee accidently scratching the parts the paint will be weak and wont last in anyones car for long before looking like ****.

Step 7: Water sand with 1000 grid if desired, I skipped this part but if your surface seems rough then do this step. I got lucky and my surfaces were quite smooth.

Step 8: If you desire a shiny look then clearcoat paint, do 3-4 layers letting each layer dry for about 15 minuites, once done water sand with 1000 grid. If you want a nice flat looking alumium look then skip this step totally.

I hope this small writup will find more people painting their dash over buying those hoorible dash kits.