5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

OSCAI installed.... but the AE Intake Scoop is different!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2001, 06:15 PM

I installed the OSCAI today. My version is the same as Paul2KGXE's (2.5 inch Shop Vac hose).

Some observations I had:
My AE intake scoop is different than the ones I've seen in OSCAI photos. It doesn't have the L tube or the resonator below the battery! The secondary hole underneath the scoop doesn't even exist; there was a "cap" molded there. I had to saw off the end so I could attach the hose.

Are other AE's just like this? Are I30's like this also? I'm wondering if that's one of the things Nissan did for the engine to make 227 HP.

Where have you guys routed the hose? Mine just goes towards the front left corner.
Old 06-23-2001, 06:28 PM
Got Bent?

Yeah, the 2k1 models don't have the L-tube like the 2k models. No big deal. The 5 hp on the AE models is because of a slightly different exhaust. The hose on mine is down on the drivers side peeking through a small slit I cut in the splash guard.
Old 06-23-2001, 07:14 PM

Originally posted by ru4real
I installed the OSCAI today. My version is the same as Paul2KGXE's (2.5 inch Shop Vac hose).

Some observations I had:
My AE intake scoop is different than the ones I've seen in OSCAI photos. It doesn't have the L tube or the resonator below the battery! The secondary hole underneath the scoop doesn't even exist; there was a "cap" molded there. I had to saw off the end so I could attach the hose.

Are other AE's just like this? Are I30's like this also? I'm wondering if that's one of the things Nissan did for the engine to make 227 HP.

Where have you guys routed the hose? Mine just goes towards the front left corner.
I have a 2K1 SE with same setup. Sounds like you did exactly what i did. Shopvac hose just routed to the corner near the fog lights and completely inside the splash guard. I got a little power gain from it i think. I probably need to peek it through the splash guard for more air eventually, i just dont want too much crap getting in or past the KN filter.
Old 06-24-2001, 02:04 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Some observations I had:

Nissan claims that extra 5 hps due to the bent down exhaust tips...they say it's suppose to ease the flow of exhaust gas when they exit the exhaust...thus freeing little bit more than the non-AE models...
Old 06-24-2001, 06:56 AM

My OSCAI

Some observations I had:

I too, had to cut the intake. Be sure to save your removed cap for future cover-ups. I used a 2-inch vacuum hose and fed it straight down. I cut a 2-inch hole in the splash guard (also saved that piece) and fed it through. To maximize air-suck, I attached a rigid vacuum attachment which is angled forward. After my (probably inaccurate) tests and comparisons I have concluded that for 0-100kph times I am approximately 0.3 seconds faster than I was with the stock set-up.
Old 06-24-2001, 09:30 AM

Hey If U click on the TWO Links on the BOTTOM of my SIG.

U can see Pics of MY OSCAI, and I have a AE Max too!
Old 06-26-2001, 09:13 PM

Do you think you could put some screen to protect dirt and other particles entering the shop vac tube?? see that it is hanging down the splash guard (splash ,water, debris). i dont see why screen wont do the trick

RayRey21
Old 06-27-2001, 12:53 AM

Originally posted by RayRey21
Do you think you could put some screen to protect dirt and other particles entering the shop vac tube?? see that it is hanging down the splash guard (splash ,water, debris). i dont see why screen wont do the trick

RayRey21
I was thinking the same thing. Hmmm I wonder...