3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Antenna Won't Go Down

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2001, 08:09 PM

My wife's 93 Maxima's antenna won't go down when you cut the radio off. You can hear the antenna motor run and then cut off but antenna does not move. You can't push it down by hand either. Can someone give me some help with this problem?

Thanks Very Much.
Old 06-22-2001, 09:22 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by spurgeonchapman
My wife's 93 Maxima's antenna won't go down when you cut the radio off. You can hear the antenna motor run and then cut off but antenna does not move. You can't push it down by hand either. Can someone give me some help with this problem?

Thanks Very Much.
Search.
Old 06-22-2001, 10:33 PM
90maximaSE

I hear you.....

Thanks Very Much.
Man my 90 Maxima does the same. The motor is burned out that is why it does that. You would have to replace the motor to get that fixed. & I don't know how much that would cost.

Old 06-22-2001, 10:43 PM

Re: I hear you.....

Originally posted by 90maximaSE

Man my 90 Maxima does the same. The motor is burned out that is why it does that. You would have to replace the motor to get that fixed. & I don't know how much that would cost.

Are you positive its the motor? It could be the mast.
Old 06-23-2001, 08:27 AM

Re: I hear you.....

If you can hear the friggin motor, then IT is not broken. The mast is messed up. If you do a search for a power antenna I am SURE that you can find an answer to this problem. I have posted the answer 3 separate times that I can remember.
Old 06-23-2001, 02:48 PM

Re: Re: I hear you.....

Originally posted by C-Dawg

If you can hear the friggin motor, then IT is not broken. The mast is messed up. If you do a search for a power antenna I am SURE that you can find an answer to this problem. I have posted the answer 3 separate times that I can remember.

Well my problem is definately the motor, since when I completely disassembled the antenna, I found the mast in good shape.

Lucky for me I bought a brand new antenna assembly (OEM) for $50.
Old 06-24-2001, 12:34 AM
90maximaSE

Re: Re: Re: I hear you.....

Originally posted by superdesi

Well my problem is definately the motor, since when I completely disassembled the antenna, I found the mast in good shape.

Lucky for me I bought a brand new antenna assembly (OEM) for $50.
Thank you, I knew it could be the motor. But someone just wanted to run their mouth. Anyway my motor is burned out too.

Old 06-24-2001, 11:09 PM

It is your antenna mast, it could be broken in more that one place and that it is why you cant push it up or down.
Old 06-25-2001, 07:05 AM

Originally posted by Mr. Nismo
It is your antenna mast, it could be broken in more that one place and that it is why you cant push it up or down.
Thank you. My thoughts exactly.
Old 06-25-2001, 07:07 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: I hear you.....

Thank you, I knew it could be the motor. But someone just wanted to run their mouth. Anyway my motor is burned out too.
The guy said that he could hear the motor running but the antenna would not move. That is why I said the mast was messed up. I ain't flaming on anybody.
Old 06-25-2001, 08:58 AM
OG and counting...

I have had this issue since I have had my Maxima. I went to a shop and they told me it was the mast. The technician told me that the rubber seal around the mast has become more constrictive over time and will not allow the antenna to retract fully. I already have an appointment to fix this ($145) but I would love to do this cheaper.
Old 06-25-2001, 10:43 AM
jav5150

fixed it..

Originally posted by PrinzII
I have had this issue since I have had my Maxima. I went to a shop and they told me it was the mast. The technician told me that the rubber seal around the mast has become more constrictive over time and will not allow the antenna to retract fully. I already have an appointment to fix this ($145) but I would love to do this cheaper.
Hey, fellas..it's a simple fix. You need to order the part from the dealer. There's two little slots on the top ring around the antenna shaft (mounted to car) Tap the ring in a counter clockwise motion..it will screw off. You will then be able to pul the antenna out. You will find what looks like a white plastic (rip cord)..remeber these from toys when we were kids...that cord needs to be replaced..and then (From an on posotion) the new cord with antenna can be fed into the shaft...good luck. This should be fairly easy.

Old 06-25-2001, 10:50 AM

Originally posted by PrinzII
Are you talking about the little rubber O-ring? I have thought about taking mine off. I have yet to have a problem with the antenna again since I replaced it but I was just curious.
Old 06-25-2001, 02:45 PM

It can be one of two things

First, pull the mast off (gently) and examine it. If it seems like all of the teeth are present, then turn on/off the radio with the mast out.

If the motor turns for only 2 seconds, then the motor is bad. But if it turns and the gears churn, then it just probably needs a little lithium greasing inside.

77% of the time, it is the mast. But it ALSO can be the motor, as it was in my case.
Old 06-25-2001, 03:12 PM

Re: It can be one of two things

Originally posted by superdesi
First, pull the mast off (gently) and examine it. If it seems like all of the teeth are present, then turn on/off the radio with the mast out.

If the motor turns for only 2 seconds, then the motor is bad. But if it turns and the gears churn, then it just probably needs a little lithium greasing inside.

77% of the time, it is the mast. But it ALSO can be the motor, as it was in my case.
In your case it was the motor but it may be that the mast is broken in more than one place. Even if you pull ot the mast there may be other fragments of the mast stuck inside. In order to find out whether there are more pieces that are stuck inside is to pull out the motor and disassemble it. Also check the teeth to see if they are worn out and the base of the mast to see if it is broken.
Old 06-25-2001, 07:21 PM

Re: Re: It can be one of two things

Originally posted by Mr. Nismo

In your case it was the motor but it may be that the mast is broken in more than one place. Even if you pull ot the mast there may be other fragments of the mast stuck inside. In order to find out whether there are more pieces that are stuck inside is to pull out the motor and disassemble it. Also check the teeth to see if they are worn out and the base of the mast to see if it is broken.
Thanks for all the info. I am getting new mast to start out with. Problem is I have removed the chrome ring and still can not pull the mast out of the car. Can't pull it out and can't push it in. Whats the scoop on this? It is presently fully extended.
Old 06-25-2001, 07:28 PM
jav5150

Re: Re: Re: It can be one of two things

Thanks for all the info. I am getting new mast to start out with. Problem is I have removed the chrome ring and still can not pull the mast out of the car. Can't pull it out and can't push it in. Whats the scoop on this? It is presently fully extended.
You will have to remove the motor through the access panel located directly to the right as you open your trunk. It is a *****, but I've dealt with worse. Good luck, bro.~J~

Old 06-25-2001, 09:47 PM

Have someone help you by turning on and off the radio. That will give you a little leverage.
Old 06-26-2001, 05:18 AM

I had the same problem, ur probably goin to need a new one. It cost me $100 for a new power antenna, including install..
Old 06-26-2001, 07:22 PM

Antenna Won't Go Down

Ok people, it was the mast. Motor is OK. Got new mast from dealer at 33.00. Piece of old nylon cable was hung in motor so I had to take out the whole thing to get it out. Reinstalled it and fed the new mast cable into the motor.

Problem: Antenna sticks up about 2 inches. What did I do wrong?

You can only feed in so much cable before the motor picks it up. Looks like cable may be too long.

I sincerely appreciate the help so far and maybe someone has the answer to help me finish the job correctly.

Thanks