5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

6 Speed question

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2001, 10:00 AM

I currently have a 5 speed and I love the way the gears work....but what is all of the hype about the 6 speed?

It is fun banging gears...and the 2002 looks like it has a shorter shifter, and throw which should be fun, but don't you think that it might slow down the 0-60 times and the 1/4 mile times. The 5 speed is geared perfectly for 0-60, and the 1/4 mile. I only have to go to second for 0-60 and 3rd for the 1/4 mile. Do you think that the six speed gearing will be similiar. I would thiink trying to bang one more gear for either 0-60 or 1/4 mile would kind of blow....IMO!
Old 06-22-2001, 10:05 AM

Originally posted by MOBOY
I currently have a 5 speed and I love the way the gears work....but what is all of the hype about the 6 speed?

It is fun banging gears...and the 2002 looks like it has a shorter shifter, and throw which should be fun, but don't you think that it might slow down the 0-60 times and the 1/4 mile times. The 5 speed is geared perfectly for 0-60, and the 1/4 mile. I only have to go to second for 0-60 and 3rd for the 1/4 mile. Do you think that the six speed gearing will be similiar. I would thiink trying to bang one more gear for either 0-60 or 1/4 mile would kind of blow....IMO!
o boy. you got it wrong.. the more gears, the shorter the ratio. so you have more power and accelerate quicker. by the way.. neone noe wut a gated shifter is? (applies to autos)
Old 06-22-2001, 10:10 AM
JET Speed Lab

you know how you can hit 100mph at 4k rpm at 5th gear? think about shifting to 6th gear, the rpm dropping, how much faster will it let you go?
Old 06-22-2001, 10:17 AM

Originally posted by ToYLeT902
you know how you can hit 100mph at 4k rpm at 5th gear? think about shifting to 6th gear, the rpm dropping, how much faster will it let you go?

nahhhh 4000rpm is too early to shift. shift at 6k for the new model. (i believe 5800 max power) and at 6th you will have a high top speed.
Old 06-22-2001, 10:17 AM

Better or worse gear ratio!

The max has no shortage of power....I cannot see thaat adding a gear is going to better the 0-60 time unless they keep the gear ratio very similiar to the 5 speed. The rev limiter kicks in at 65 in second and about 97 in third.

My question is...do you think they will keep the lower gears the same?

Hopefully Nissan fixes the fuel cut issue by the time the 2002 come out. I can just see some old farts getting ****ed with 6 gears of bucking action! Lovely!
Old 06-22-2001, 10:18 AM

Re: Better or worse gear ratio!

The max has no shortage of power....I cannot see thaat adding a gear is going to better the 0-60 time unless they keep the gear ratio very similiar to the 5 speed. The rev limiter kicks in at 65 in second and about 97 in third.

Hopefully Nissan fixes the fuel cut issue by the time the 2002 come out. I can just see some old farts getting ****ed with 6 gears of bucking action! Lovely!
i doubt the lower gears are the same. it will be lower than 60 in second and lower than 97 in third... shorter gear ratios.
Old 06-22-2001, 10:20 AM

Originally posted by AznWontonboy
by the way.. neone noe wut a gated shifter is? (applies to autos)
Interesting spelling hehe

Anyway a gated shifter is one where the path for the shifter has notches indicating each gear rather than just one straight line. They take some of the guesswork out of shifting.
Old 06-22-2001, 10:25 AM

Originally posted by punkdork

Interesting spelling hehe

Anyway a gated shifter is one where the path for the shifter has notches indicating each gear rather than just one straight line. They take some of the guesswork out of shifting.
HEHE thank you punk dork. so no more lagging for us autos?
Old 06-22-2001, 10:32 AM
JET Speed Lab

Re: Better or worse gear ratio!

when i had a taurus.. yeah i know.. please dont laugh at me JET performance made a computer chip to replace the stock one to get rid of the rev limiter. so you could actually rev your engine to, i dunno 10k? hahaha BTW wontonboy my car is still being broken in, 5th gen with 770 miles on it in like 23 days.. is that a lot? that 100mph thing was just a little test i did for like 5 seconds. i think i need to get fstb, rstb, rsb, and some eibachs/tokico's. The ride and handling is TOO mushy. And i want an exhaust! VROOM VROOM, old lady's will run across the street when they see me coming!
Old 06-22-2001, 10:52 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Ok - couple things:

1. 6spd advantage: Depends on how they do it. Nissan is touting it as a "close ratio" so that means they didn't just add a higher 6th gear. That means the gears will be closer together. If you are doing the 1/4, the closer ratio will mean one more shift . . . but having the closer ratio allows you to get into and stay in the "fat" part of the power band more easily - thus normally better acceleration than a comparable tranny with fewer gears.

2. 6spd top speed: Just because you have a 6th gear doesn't mean you'll get a higher top speed. Right now the Max's top speed is in 4th not 5th. The reason is that there isn't enough power to turn the taller 5th gear. This is common.

3. Azn - where did you find out about where the max power is on the 3.5?
Old 06-22-2001, 11:08 AM

Originally posted by Max_Gator
Ok - couple things:

1. 6spd advantage: Depends on how they do it. Nissan is touting it as a "close ratio" so that means they didn't just add a higher 6th gear. That means the gears will be closer together. If you are doing the 1/4, the closer ratio will mean one more shift . . . but having the closer ratio allows you to get into and stay in the "fat" part of the power band more easily - thus normally better acceleration than a comparable tranny with fewer gears.

2. 6spd top speed: Just because you have a 6th gear doesn't mean you'll get a higher top speed. Right now the Max's top speed is in 4th not 5th. The reason is that there isn't enough power to turn the taller 5th gear. This is common.

the web page where it shows the new maxima pictures.. go on specs and features.
Old 06-22-2001, 11:16 AM

Originally posted by punkdork

An addendum to punkdork's answer:

Gated shifters like the ones found in the Jag's, M-B's and the um... TL-S.
Old 06-22-2001, 11:24 AM

the web page where it shows the new maxima pictures.. go on specs and features.

Ahhhh, thanks! That means that the new maxima will actually be able to use all of its hp (unlike the current 3.0) since we'll be able to shift AFTER peak hp and right into peak hp.

Several on this board have speculated that if we were able to shift 500-600 rpms past redline (max hp) we'd be able to significantly improve our times without any other mods.

If the Altima is 6.3, I'm thinking clearly sub-6.0 for the maxima since it weighs almost the same.
Old 06-22-2001, 11:47 AM

Ahhhh, thanks! That means that the new maxima will actually be able to use all of its hp (unlike the current 3.0) since we'll be able to shift AFTER peak hp and right into peak hp.

Several on this board have speculated that if we were able to shift 500-600 rpms past redline (max hp) we'd be able to significantly improve our times without any other mods.

If the Altima is 6.3, I'm thinking clearly sub-6.0 for the maxima since it weighs almost the same.
yup.. redlines around 6500-6600.. this car will fall backinto the power band pretty well.
Old 06-22-2001, 01:28 PM

Max_Gator

Ok - couple things:

No offence, but my maxima still pulls in fith gear so my top speed is in fifth gear.
Old 06-22-2001, 01:31 PM

it's either the slap-stick auto-sloppic or the massively convoluted squigly line that you have to drag the shifter through, like you see on tons of European cars.

o boy. you got it wrong.. the more gears, the shorter the ratio. so you have more power and accelerate quicker. by the way.. neone noe wut a gated shifter is? (applies to autos)
Old 06-22-2001, 01:31 PM

Re: Max_Gator

Originally posted by Justin Tulli

No offence, but my maxima still pulls in fith gear so my top speed is in fifth gear.
yes, top speed is in 5th gear.. its taller, therefore higher top speed.
Old 06-22-2001, 01:33 PM

Originally posted by bert
it's either the slap-stick auto-sloppic or the massively convoluted squigly line that you have to drag the shifter through, like you see on tons of European cars.

umm I dont think its the second one you said.. and the first one.. whats a "slap-stick auto-sloppic"?
Old 06-22-2001, 01:51 PM

umm I dont think its the second one you said.. and the first one.. whats a "slap-stick auto-sloppic"?
LOL
Old 06-22-2001, 02:38 PM

Re: Max_Gator

Originally posted by Justin Tulli

Have you compared your top speed in 4th and top speed in 5th?

I've never run 4th to redline but my understanding is that gear will give you the top speed. I'm not saying that you can't shift into 5th at 120 and still pull. I'm saying that you cannot redline the maxima in 5th - the engine is not strong enough. The top rpm in 5th will give you a lower top speed than your top rpm in 4th.
Old 06-22-2001, 03:41 PM

Re: Re: Max_Gator

Have you compared your top speed in 4th and top speed in 5th?

I've never run 4th to redline but my understanding is that gear will give you the top speed. I'm not saying that you can't shift into 5th at 120 and still pull. I'm saying that you cannot redline the maxima in 5th - the engine is not strong enough. The top rpm in 5th will give you a lower top speed than your top rpm in 4th.
no offense or nething, but i still dont belive this statement. the 5ths top speed has to be higher, and u dont have to pull till redline to have a higher top speed than 4th gear... can proove that? and by the way, at 120 is not the top speed.. u kan get higher than that.. at least 130-135.. in 5th.
Old 06-22-2001, 04:06 PM

Re: Re: Re: Max_Gator

[QUOTE]Originally posted by AznWontonboy

no offense or nething, but i still dont belive this statement. the 5ths top speed has to be higher, and u dont have to pull till redline to have a higher top speed than 4th gear... can proove that? and by the way, at 120 is not the top speed.. u kan get higher than that.. at least 130-135.. in 5th.
[/QUOTE No, I get what hes saying.....he means that no body has ever brought the 5th gear to redline(stock) and he thinks that the 6-speed will be pointless if fifth gear doesnt redline....If this is what your saying then nissan will rework the 6-speed so that gears 1-5 are close ratio and 6th gear would be like our fith gear now.If its not what your saying then please specify...
Old 06-22-2001, 04:19 PM
I'm needing a caw

Odd discussions here.

Guys, it all depends on what each of the 6 speed's ratio is. If 6th is 1:1 (no overdrive gear), then 1-5 will have some pretty short and fast gears.

Now as far as top speed in in a 5 speed is,

It's a matter of gearing, available hp and wind resistance. In THEORY, 5th gear will give the top speed becuase for a given rpm, you are getting more rotations out of the wheels. Now the question is....IF THE MAXIMA IS POWERFULL ENOUGH TO PULL IT'S TOP SPEED IN 5TH. That's the big question. I tend to think it can. It will take a long time, but eventually it can. In my 3-gen, I tried topping out in 4th and 5th. From what I remember, I could pull a higher top speed in 5th gear.

Now can a maxima use a 6th gear? Again it depends on how the gear ratios are laid out. I tend to think yes, but it's not as important as in ie...Celica or S2000. Mainly becuase the maxima has nice low end torque so gear switching is not really needed. You say why in the Vette then? I think the do it for some performance but also to get decent fuel mileage when crusing in the freeway. Vettes have(or used to have) a automatic 1-3rd manual shift when in xxx rpms or lower to get better fuel mileage.
Old 06-22-2001, 04:23 PM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Odd discussions here.

Guys, it all depends on what each of the 6 speed's ratio is. If 6th is 1:1 (no overdrive gear), then 1-5 will have some pretty short and fast gears.

Now as far as top speed in in a 5 speed is,

It's a matter of gearing, available hp and wind resistance. In THEORY, 5th gear will give the top speed becuase for a given rpm, you are getting more rotations out of the wheels. Now the question is....IF THE MAXIMA IS POWERFULL ENOUGH TO PULL IT'S TOP SPEED IN 5TH. That's the big question. I tend to think it can. It will take a long time, but eventually it can. In my 3-gen, I tried topping out in 4th and 5th. From what I remember, I could pull a higher top speed in 5th gear.

Now can a maxima use a 6th gear? Again it depends on how the gear ratios are laid out. I tend to think yes, but it's not as important as in ie...Celica or S2000. Mainly becuase the maxima has nice low end torque so gear switching is not really needed. You say why in the Vette then? I think the do it for some performance but also to get decent fuel mileage when crusing in the freeway. Vettes have(or used to have) a automatic 1-3rd manual shift when in xxx rpms or lower to get better fuel mileage.
Thats basically what I was trying to say...
Old 06-22-2001, 05:53 PM

This is a gated automatic:

That's from the Altima, but the maxima should look the same since the I35 looks like that
http://www.nissannews.com/infiniti/p...0px/06_i35.jpg

It is not a tiptronic though.
Old 06-22-2001, 07:19 PM

Shoot, 6 Speed will be sweet with engine mods. That way you can get even more speed from those mods.
Old 06-22-2001, 07:47 PM

Originally posted by Alexis
This is a gated automatic:

That's from the Altima, but the maxima should look the same since the I35 looks like that
http://www.nissannews.com/infiniti/p...0px/06_i35.jpg

It is not a tiptronic though.
punkdork says it helps with shifting.. how does that help?
Old 06-22-2001, 10:38 PM

punkdork says it helps with shifting.. how does that help?
If you need to go from D to 2nd, you don't have to count how many "clicks" you pushed the shifter. With a gated shifter you can push as hard as you want, and only downshift to the desired gear. It is good if you are not careful.

Plus, instead of an overdrive button, you can just move the shifter horizontally to downshift. So in theory, you can have a better feel of what gear you are in without looking down or at the dash indicator. Not worth a mod though.
Old 06-22-2001, 10:49 PM

Let me clarify this.

I have a 5-speed Max.

Maxima's top speed is attained in 5th gear.

4th is good for only 125mph, and we all know that is not the top speed. Yes, the 5th gear is taller and it is impossible to redline in 5th gear because there simply isn't enough power. BUT,

the the ratio is low enough to push the car above 125mph(top of 4th). If you give it enough room, the car will eventually top out at around 140 mph.

In a corvett or a viper, top speed is attained in 5th, rather than 6th, because their 6th is just another overdrive. A very tall overdrive.

Maximas' overdrive is not so tall as to be not able to acclerate the car beyond the top of 4th gear.

Cmon guys, this is basic stuff!! especially for you 5-speed guys.
Old 06-22-2001, 11:06 PM

Re: Let me clarify this.

Originally posted by ArcticMax

In a corvett or a viper, top speed is attained in 5th, rather than 6th, because their 6th is just another overdrive. A very tall overdrive.

This is more because those cars may not be the most aerodynamic. So a tall overdrive may not be so bad if the maxima is aerodynamic "enough". Time to start thinking about some wind-cheating mods. I heard meguiars wax is good for 5hp.

Extra air in the tires may also help your top speed.

But not all 6 speeds have a taller 6th gear, I believe the M5 just has closer gear ratios...

What do you guys think of the new continuously variable transmission in the 2002 Audi A4? In theory, that should keep your engine in it's RPM sweetspot as you accelerate.
Old 06-22-2001, 11:20 PM

The M5 has 2 overdrives.

The 6th is very tall.

And about the Vipers and the Corvettes,
they have better aerodynamic efficiency than the Maximas. They have a lot less frontal air contact area because they are are small low sports cars.

In order to attain redline in those extra tall 6th geared cars, the drag coeffiecient would have to be IMPOSSIBLY LOW.
It would have to be so low, and designing a car to meet that drag criteria would render the car completely useless and impractical.

I don't think the 02 Max has a very tall 6th gear. The ratio is probalby the same as the overdrive in an automatic.

They probalby gave it 5 shorter gears, and a regualar overdrive. If we live in Germany, and if we frequently drive above 100 mph and beyond, then we would need an additional taller overdrive for reasonable MPG.
Old 06-22-2001, 11:29 PM

Re: Re: Let me clarify this.

Originally posted by Alexis

What do you guys think of the new continuously variable transmission in the 2002 Audi A4? In theory, that should keep your engine in it's RPM sweetspot as you accelerate.
If the varible discs changes as fast as the accleration, you can get a better time than a 6sp. It's just like slipping the clutch in at the peak hp to accerlate when lauching on a drag strip.
Old 06-22-2001, 11:54 PM

nahhhh 4000rpm is too early to shift. shift at 6k for the new model. (i believe 5800 max power) and at 6th you will have a high top speed.
You sure know alot about shifting for an auto....do you have a 5sp as well?
Old 06-23-2001, 03:36 AM

Re: Let me clarify this.

Originally posted by ArcticMax
I have a 5-speed Max.

Maxima's top speed is attained in 5th gear.

4th is good for only 125mph, and we all know that is not the top speed. Yes, the 5th gear is taller and it is impossible to redline in 5th gear because there simply isn't enough power. BUT,

the the ratio is low enough to push the car above 125mph(top of 4th). If you give it enough room, the car will eventually top out at around 140 mph.

Maximas' overdrive is not so tall as to be not able to acclerate the car beyond the top of 4th gear.

Cmon guys, this is basic stuff!! especially for you 5-speed guys.
Guess that tells you that I haven't run 4th to redline to see where it goes. For some reason, I always believed that 4th topped at 140ish and that 5th couldn't top that.

As for the rest . . . that's what I'm saying.
Old 06-24-2001, 03:25 PM

Thoughts on the 6-spd for 2k2

With the new 3.5L coming to the Max, I think that in order to maintain fuel economy Nissan is going to go the way of the Acura's and make both top gears overdrive gears. Power comes at the expense of mileage, and I highly suspect that the new 6spd will be to compenstate for the mileage losses of the bigger engine rather than for necessarily increasing performance.

BTW, as far as top-speed in the 5th Gen 5spd's, Max speed will be attained in 5th gear, not 4th:

Cut and Paste from C&D HERE

Gear Ratio Mph/1000 rpm Max. test speed
IV 0.95 20.0 132 mph (6600 rpm)
V 0.80 23.8 140 mph (5900 rpm) (drag limited)

So after you hit redline in 4th gear you can still squeeze a couple more MPH's out of 5th gear. Your 5th Gear is relatively pretty short - as it turns 2500rpm at 60mph.

For comparison, the Accord V6's top gear (auto only) is geared VERY economically - we only turn just a tad over 2000rpm at 60mph in 4th:

III 0.95 18.5 116 mph (6300rpm)
IV 0.61 28.8 132 mph (4600rpm) (drag limited)

If we could pull redline in 4th gear we'd be hauling some serious a$$ at 182mph, but there's no way in HELL that an Accord V6 is gonna pull that...hahaha! 3rd Gear is pretty short though and it'll take us to 116mph, but we can still get some more speed out of 4th but just not pull redline.

So the Max 5-spd is geared more for performance. I suspect the 6-spd will have a more "Accord-V6ish" style ultra-tall overdrive gear to help maintain or improve highway mileage
Old 06-25-2001, 04:11 AM

Re: Thoughts on the 6-spd for 2k2

Originally posted by stevepake
With the new 3.5L coming to the Max, I think that in order to maintain fuel economy Nissan is going to go the way of the Acura's and make both top gears overdrive gears. Power comes at the expense of mileage, and I highly suspect that the new 6spd will be to compenstate for the mileage losses of the bigger engine rather than for necessarily increasing performance.

BTW, as far as top-speed in the 5th Gen 5spd's, Max speed will be attained in 5th gear, not 4th:

Cut and Paste from C&D HERE

IV 0.95 20.0 132 mph (6600 rpm)
V 0.80 23.8 140 mph (5900 rpm) (drag limited)

So after you hit redline in 4th gear you can still squeeze a couple more MPH's out of 5th gear. Your 5th Gear is relatively pretty short - as it turns 2500rpm at 60mph.

For comparison, the Accord V6's top gear (auto only) is geared VERY economically - we only turn just a tad over 2000rpm at 60mph in 4th:

III 0.95 18.5 116 mph (6300rpm)
IV 0.61 28.8 132 mph (4600rpm) (drag limited)

If we could pull redline in 4th gear we'd be hauling some serious a$$ at 182mph, but there's no way in HELL that an Accord V6 is gonna pull that...hahaha! 3rd Gear is pretty short though and it'll take us to 116mph, but we can still get some more speed out of 4th but just not pull redline.

So the Max 5-spd is geared more for performance. I suspect the 6-spd will have a more "Accord-V6ish" style ultra-tall overdrive gear to help maintain or improve highway mileage
I've realized I was wrong about 4th giving top speed.

However, in regard to the 6spd, Nissan claims it is a "close ratio" six speed on the web-site. I think that means that we'll get a 6th that is taller than the current 5th but the lower gears will be closer together. I would expect that to mean the the new 5th will be lower than the current 5th. If I recall correctly, the current 5th is barely an overdrive as it is - I know alot of people have complained that we should have a taller overdrive.
Old 06-25-2001, 07:17 AM

WOW...this is a long thread!

It is funny how the subject can change...and I am not sure if anyone else has answered the question at hand.

Do you think it is a good thing to have to bang one more gear going from 0-60 or for the quarter mile. I think the closer ratio might help a little for the quarter...but I am not sure that a closer ratio for the first and second gear is going to help the maxima. Anyone that currently has a 5 speed should agree with me. The car is a Mustang killer! The reason....we don't have to shift out of second until 65 miles per hour...and in most situations that is when the race is done....and the third gear is a fr!cking screamer as well!!!

I agree with max gator....the fifth gear should be a bit taller....it is a 4k at 80 mph. I do like the idea that I don't have to downshift to get up a steep hill on the interstate though....the fifth gear has a good enough ratio to keep the car moving on the steepest of hills.

I guess we will all see here in a few months when we can get some 2002 6 speeder out for a race or two! It is too bad that it will be like comparing apples to oranges with the extra power of the 02 model....but it will still be fun trying!
Old 06-25-2001, 07:29 AM

Re: Re: Thoughts on the 6-spd for 2k2

I've realized I was wrong about 4th giving top speed.

However, in regard to the 6spd, Nissan claims it is a "close ratio" six speed on the web-site. I think that means that we'll get a 6th that is taller than the current 5th but the lower gears will be closer together. I would expect that to mean the the new 5th will be lower than the current 5th. If I recall correctly, the current 5th is barely an overdrive as it is - I know alot of people have complained that we should have a taller overdrive.

4th makes you go faster for the top speed and then you the 5th you can only get like 10+(with some mods you can go past 143)
Old 06-25-2001, 09:54 AM

Ok - couple things:

Uhhhh? Top speed period comes at 6000RPM in 5th gear in a 5sp max, that's about 143-145 MPH. fourth gear will net you 132 MPH @ 6600RPM. You mod your max and add about 20 HP and I assure you that you'll reach close to redline in the max.

As far as the 6sp. It will be faster because the gears will be closely matched to the powerband. meaning that you'll stay up in the higher RPMS to deliver more power when driven hard. and the 6th gear will probably be taller than the current 5th, but the 5th will be shorter than the current one. I think that is a bonus and the fuel economy will benefit also.
Old 06-25-2001, 04:18 PM
merchgod

Anyone that currently has a 5 speed should agree with me. The car is a Mustang killer! The reason....we don't have to shift out of second until 65 miles per hour...and in most situations that is when the race is done....
That's funny. In my 99 Mustang GT 5-speed I can hit 69 mph in before shifting into 3rd!

Quick Reply: 6 Speed question