5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

xterra saga continues.....

Old 02-19-2003, 06:15 PM

xterra saga continues.....

Ok...so my wife and I have come to terms...

I bought some 18's (Motegi MR7's) she thinks the max looks like a G ride, so she doesn't really even want to drive it now (told you this would work )

So anyways...

I am detailing the xterra after we took it off roading for the first time, and guess what I find????

A receipt for Budget Rental Cars for a 1 week rental for a 4X4 white xterra. Yep. My freakin' Xterra. Before we bought it, I asked the salesman where they got the car. He told me it was a new car trade in. I actually trusted this guy. I shopped for a long time, and found this one (wonder why???) to be the best deal. I called the salesman about it, told him I had been looking around for a while, and that if this car checked out, that I would come down to his delaership and pay cash for it that night, as long as he shot me straight and gave me a good deal. Well, I did my homework, and it was a good deal. The title history checked out ok, the car was in good shape, and so yep, just as I told him, we bought it.

AAARRRRRRGGGHHHHH!!!!!! we got so ****ed when we found out it was a rental car!!!!!!!! We talked to the GM of the dealership (head honcho) and he basically told us that since GA is a buyer be ware state, there is absolutely nothing we can do. He gave us a spare tire (which the car didn't have for some reason) a free alignment, and a 100,000 mile warranty at cost. And that's it...we're stuck with this post budget rental car.

DO NOT TRUST CAR SALESMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!

sure, there are some good ones....but keep your guard up at all times.
Old 02-19-2003, 06:19 PM

Re: xterra saga continues.....

Originally posted by 00gxe5sp
Ok...so my wife and I have come to terms...

I bought some 18's (Motegi MR7's) she thinks the max looks like a G ride, so she doesn't really even want to drive it now (told you this would work )

So anyways...

I am detailing the xterra after we took it off roading for the first time, and guess what I find????

A receipt for Budget Rental Cars for a 1 week rental for a 4X4 white xterra. Yep. My freakin' Xterra. Before we bought it, I asked the salesman where they got the car. He told me it was a new car trade in. I actually trusted this guy. I shopped for a long time, and found this one (wonder why???) to be the best deal. I called the salesman about it, told him I had been looking around for a while, and that if this car checked out, that I would come down to his delaership and pay cash for it that night, as long as he shot me straight and gave me a good deal. Well, I did my homework, and it was a good deal. The title history checked out ok, the car was in good shape, and so yep, just as I told him, we bought it.

AAARRRRRRGGGHHHHH!!!!!! we got so ****ed when we found out it was a rental car!!!!!!!! We talked to the GM of the dealership (head honcho) and he basically told us that since GA is a buyer be ware state, there is absolutely nothing we can do. He gave us a spare tire (which the car didn't have for some reason) a free alignment, and a 100,000 mile warranty at cost. And that's it...we're stuck with this post budget rental car.

DO NOT TRUST CAR SALESMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!

find out in the papers if they mentioned at all if it was a rental.
Old 02-19-2003, 06:46 PM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals

You should've run a Carfax on it.

I've actually had a couple of rentals and they were both great cars. If you have a 100,000 mile warranty, then chill out dude. You're fine.
Old 02-19-2003, 07:14 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

oh man.. I would go off like a cheap bottle rocket too.. Also, I wouldnt accept legal advice from the GM of the dealership. Mistake #2. There isnt some point up the chain where honesty can be expected in a dealership. In fact, I would bet dollars to donuts it was the GM's idea. Consult a real lawyer or the Att. General. There are certain obligations and disclosures they must make in any state.

On the flipside, one of the most trouble free cars Ive ever owned was a rental. It was all I could afford in college and I never had to drop a time on it outside of regular mx until it got totaled 2 years later. I would avoid one now because mostly I can afford to, but really, that doesnt automatically make it a POS. I've seen salesmen treat brand new off the carrier cars much worse than any rental.
Old 02-19-2003, 07:16 PM
lcf

I'd talk to an attorney about this... have them review your papers. I'm sure something could be done?
Old 02-19-2003, 07:18 PM

If Georgia is anything like Arizona, there is absolutely no going back once you sign the papers....unless they wrote in the contract that it was not a rental.....which I'd be willing to bet they didn't.
Old 02-19-2003, 08:00 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

A receipt for Budget Rental Cars for a 1 week rental for a 4X4 white xterra. Yep. My freakin' Xterra. Before we bought it, I asked the salesman where they got the car. He told me it was a new car trade in. I actually trusted this guy.

I would have had a fit with the GM. I would have had to call my people to come'on with the leg breakers!
Old 02-19-2003, 08:22 PM

u got warranty, id keep still.
Old 02-19-2003, 08:27 PM

Which dealer did you go to?
I'm in GA too
Old 02-19-2003, 10:45 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

salesman only care about the $$$$$$.. they are hungry people
Old 02-19-2003, 11:53 PM

Sometimes on the sales papers, they write trade-in. I dunno if they wrote that for yours?
Old 02-20-2003, 06:40 AM

Originally posted by BioMaxDDS
Which dealer did you go to?
I'm in GA too
PEACHTREE NISSAN....IN CHAMBLEE
Old 02-20-2003, 06:51 AM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Us Georgia boys need to stick together! :smile: Ok, redneck voice aside, did you ask them if the car was a rental before you purchased it? Is there anything in the paperwork that you signed during purchase about it being a rental? If the dealership told you it wasn't a rental, you can get some kind of compensation as long as it is not documented in the purchase agreement/papers. If the deal was made contingent on the fact that the car was NOT a rental, and they knew it was and lied to you, then that's felony theft by deception (despite the fact that you signed the papers). There's already case law in Georgia on this very issue (although I can't think of the year/names yet). It goes under confidence scams (like the recent handyman repair thing here in GA, and the recent scamming older retired folks out of their life savings...etc, etc). The only problem is that you'll have to take them to court, which will not be cheap. So, what do you want to do?
Old 02-20-2003, 08:34 AM

Peachtree Nissan has got to be the worst dealer in Atlanta. Without a doubt. Sorry to hear about your xterra. I would have gone nuts on them too. In case you didn't already know, their service is awful too so beware.
Old 02-20-2003, 08:40 AM

Bad Deal!

OUCH!!

These guys are BAD NEWS!!!!

I walked away from them four years ago on my first Max, because they tried ****in' me around too!!!!!!
Dang -- they are just CROOKS there!

I'd say you're ok with the warranty, but I feel for you on this one --- nobody likes to be bent over

Hey - how much did you pay (at cost) for that Warranty????

g.r.
Old 02-20-2003, 08:59 AM

Everyone's trying to get you riled up to pursue this, but.....

1. Keep in mind that you were happy with the car before you found the receipt from Budget.
2. Run a Carfax on it now to make sure that it hasn't been wrecked or anything.
3. Not all rental cars have been thrashed. If it was a Mustang, maybe. It's an Xterra though....
Old 02-20-2003, 09:13 AM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Originally posted by asu174
Everyone's trying to get you riled up to pursue this, but.....

1. Keep in mind that you were happy with the car before you found the receipt from Budget.
2. Run a Carfax on it now to make sure that it hasn't been wrecked or anything.
3. Not all rental cars have been thrashed. If it was a Mustang, maybe. It's an Xterra though....
The point that the vehicle might or might not have been thrashed is not the issue here. The point is that he would not have purchased the vehicle if he knew it was a previous rental car (unless they really "gave" him the vehicle). To get to the point, he asked, they said no, knowing full well it was a previos rental. That's a lie. And he caught them (unfortunately after he purchased the vehicle). Tell me this, if you bought a house that was on top of a toxic dump, but didn't know it and found out later that you had been lied to, wouldn't you be ****ed? Say you find out after several unexplained visits to the doctor for strange illnesses. What if he would have found out after several expensive and time consuming repairs to his vehicle (via Oasis)? Don't downplay the situation. They gave him some goodies "after" he discovered the deception, without much of a fight. That means they damn well knew the car was a rental if they were that quick to try and appease him. He has legal recourse, but it's not going to be easy or cheap (it never is).
Old 02-20-2003, 09:14 AM
RussMaxManiac

IBTL

Old 02-20-2003, 09:17 AM

Re: Re: xterra saga continues.....

Originally posted by RussMaxManiac

IBTL
Old 02-20-2003, 09:17 AM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

IBTL
Yeah, yeah...
Old 02-20-2003, 09:22 AM

Unless you can prove that you have asked the salesman specifically about it being a prior rental, there's absolutely nothing you can do. As others mentioned, just because it's been a rental doesn't mean it's been abused. It's not a Maxima or a Mustang rental asking to be abused. Another lesson should be never to buy a car/truck without running a carfax history on it. The salesman is not your buddy, all he cares about is your wallet.
Old 02-20-2003, 09:29 AM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Originally posted by Green 2kSE
Unless you can prove that you have asked the salesman specifically about it being a prior rental, there's absolutely nothing you can do. As others mentioned, just because it's been a rental doesn't mean it's been abused. It's not a Maxima or a Mustang rental asking to be abused. Another lesson should be never to buy a car/truck without running a carfax history on it. The salesman is not your buddy, all he cares about is your wallet.
Better read up on your Georgia law. There has already been legal action over this very issue.
Old 02-20-2003, 09:56 AM

you'd know...
Old 02-20-2003, 10:18 AM

What I'd be worried about was your future gas mileage. Most of the time these rental cars weren't broken in correctly so they tend to suck gas. A friend of mine purchased a Ford Explorer Sport for a really good price with only 13k on the ODO and it being a previous rental car the gas mileage puts a hurtin' on his wallet.
Old 02-20-2003, 10:29 AM

Most dealerships get their used cars from auctions,
which rent a car companies provide most of the cars there.
And a lot of the times, the salesmen don't even know
where the cars come from b/c the dealerships don't tell
them really.
I used to sell used cars and would always ask where the cars
come from and management would never tell.
Old 02-20-2003, 10:34 AM

Originally posted by Quicksilver

Better read up on your Georgia law. There has already been legal action over this very issue.
If it's not written somewhere, there's no proof it happened. If he was so concerned about whether or not it was a rental, he would have done more than just ask the salesperson.

Think about this. What if the car was, indeed, traded in by a private owner.......BUT that owner had purchased it from a rental car company. As far as the dealer knows, it was a trade in, but it was still originally a rental. What kind of recourse does 00gxe5spd have at that point? None, and he doesn't have any in this situation either.

The only way to avoid these situations is to run a title report, such as a CarFax BEFORE buying the car. Most dealerships actually do it for you these days if you ask them to.

If Georgia law no has some sort of "verbal" clause, then maybe....but that's a VERY gray area.
Old 02-20-2003, 11:03 AM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

If it's not written somewhere, there's no proof it happened. If he was so concerned about whether or not it was a rental, he would have done more than just ask the salesperson.

Think about this. What if the car was, indeed, traded in by a private owner.......BUT that owner had purchased it from a rental car company. As far as the dealer knows, it was a trade in, but it was still originally a rental. What kind of recourse does 00gxe5spd have at that point? None, and he doesn't have any in this situation either.

The only way to avoid these situations is to run a title report, such as a CarFax BEFORE buying the car. Most dealerships actually do it for you these days if you ask them to.

If Georgia law no has some sort of "verbal" clause, then maybe....but that's a VERY gray area.
Georgia does have a verbal clause on any purchases or exchanges in the amount of $500 or higher. It's still relatively recent news here in several instances as well. AT&T phone scam, some stupid handyman thing, and getting older retired people's money by confidence scams (same "territory" as the car dealerships). I'd check clarkhoward.com and also the annotated Georgia code and law website (although I can't rememebr the name of the specific case I'm thinking of...it's killing me). If I could find or remember the name on the case then all these questions would be answered.
Old 02-20-2003, 11:20 AM
RussMaxManiac

Old 02-20-2003, 11:23 AM

russ, go play somewhere else. we have 3 mods here that know how to do their job. See the "continues..."? its a continuation of a post that was on topic, but I really dont need to explain that to you.
Old 02-20-2003, 11:37 AM
RussMaxManiac

Originally posted by TimW
russ, go play somewhere else. we have 3 mods here that know how to do their job. See the "continues..."? its a continuation of a post that was on topic, but I really dont need to explain that to you.
Oh really? It has Maxima information regarding a 5th gen in it? Sure. Whatever. lol

Old 02-20-2003, 11:39 AM

actually...the salesman told me it was a one owner. and that they even bought the xterra FROM THEM.
Old 02-20-2003, 11:48 AM

actually...the salesman told me it was a one owner. and that they even bought the xterra FROM THEM.
Old 02-20-2003, 11:53 AM

Originally posted by Dawgs AE
Peachtree Nissan has got to be the worst dealer in Atlanta. Without a doubt. Sorry to hear about your xterra. I would have gone nuts on them too. In case you didn't already know, their service is awful too so beware.
yeah...the xterra pulled slightly to the right when I bought it. So, they did the alignment as agreed. Well, after the alignment, it pulled right even worse. I called the service rep (who was actually a nice guy) and told him. He said I should check the tire pressure. I did so, and it still pulls to the right.

Here's what I don't get. If you're doing an alignment, wouldn't you make sure the tire pressure is correct in each tire to ensure that the car would drive correctly????!!!!?????!!!!????

very stupid IMHO..
Old 02-20-2003, 11:57 AM

Oh really? It has Maxima information regarding a 5th gen in it? Sure. Whatever. lol
YES...there is refernce to my maxima...

"Ok...so my wife and I have come to terms...

So anyways... "
Old 02-20-2003, 12:04 PM

Re: Bad Deal!

Originally posted by ghostrider17

OUCH!!

These guys are BAD NEWS!!!!

I walked away from them four years ago on my first Max, because they tried ****in' me around too!!!!!!
Dang -- they are just CROOKS there!

I'd say you're ok with the warranty, but I feel for you on this one --- nobody likes to be bent over

Hey - how much did you pay (at cost) for that Warranty????

g.r.
I paid about $500 for the warranty. It is for 100k miles, no deductible, and covers everything, including belts, hoses, all electrical systems, everything. the finance manager said they usually try to sell the same warranty for $1500.
Old 02-20-2003, 12:07 PM

Originally posted by MaximaDisciple
What I'd be worried about was your future gas mileage. Most of the time these rental cars weren't broken in correctly so they tend to suck gas. A friend of mine purchased a Ford Explorer Sport for a really good price with only 13k on the ODO and it being a previous rental car the gas mileage puts a hurtin' on his wallet.
yeah...xterras suck on milage anyways. so, this is great news.
Old 02-20-2003, 12:52 PM

Russ, YOU are not maxima related.. Don't f' with me in here. Take that sarcasm elsewhere. in fact, take it all elsewhere.
Old 02-20-2003, 12:52 PM

Originally posted by MaximaDisciple
That would explain a lot about my Maxima, being that it was a former rental and all...I'm surprised that CarFax didn't make any mention of it being a rental, when I ran one on mine it said:

Checked - Rental Registration Found

10/04/2000 Hawaii
Boca Raton, FL
Registered as
(major car rental company)

From your first post, it looks like you did your homework (You mentioned a clean title so I'm assuming you ran a carfax on it). But the receipt in your car says otherwise. I think CarFax has a guarantee or something on their reports, so you might want to look into that as well, in addition to some legal action against that shady-sounding dealership.
Old 02-20-2003, 01:07 PM

Originally posted by TimW

Russ, YOU are not maxima related.. Don't f' with me in here. Take that sarcasm elsewhere. in fact, take it all elsewhere.
Old 02-20-2003, 01:26 PM

Originally posted by Wasim521

That would explain a lot about my Maxima, being that it was a former rental and all...I'm surprised that CarFax didn't make any mention of it being a rental, when I ran one on mine it said:

Checked - Rental Registration Found

10/04/2000 Hawaii
Boca Raton, FL
Registered as
(major car rental company)

From your first post, it looks like you did your homework (You mentioned a clean title so I'm assuming you ran a carfax on it). But the receipt in your car says otherwise. I think CarFax has a guarantee or something on their reports, so you might want to look into that as well, in addition to some legal action against that shady-sounding dealership.
ACTUALLY....

that is a great point. I love CarFax. Used them for every car I haveever bought. Except this one. They ran a title report, i think it was from like vehixinfo.com or some crap like that. It was not detailed at all. Basically the only thing it showed was that it has a clean title (never wrecked). Never ever again will I buy a car without running a carfax.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: xterra saga continues.....