Nitrous Discuss dry, wet, and direct port nitrous setups. How many shots can you handle?

Is a Fuel Pressure Regulator Necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2003, 07:52 AM
JET Speed Lab

Is a Fuel Pressure Regulator Necessary?

Hello

I was wondering if a fuel pressure regulator was necessary when runing a 70 shot dry when using the upgraded fuel pump?

So if i am driving N/A my car will run normal, but when i juice, the fuel pressure regulator will make my car burn more fuel, which is good right?

This is what i have right now, i want to run my 70 shot with no problems at all, so let me know what i am missing in my set up

NOS 5124 Kit w/ Activation/WOT switch
Purge Kit
A/F Gauge
Fuel Pressure Gauge
Nitrous Pressure Gauge
Walbro Fuel Pump- needs to be installed

Going to get...

NGK 1 step colder plugs
bottle warmer and blanket
remote bottle opener

i am still not sure if i should install my upgraded fuel pump, since i do not use the nitrous that often, only at the track and occassional street runs... rarely though... or should i sell it to my s/c'd buddy who needs one?
Old 01-18-2003, 08:03 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Is a Fuel Pressure Regulator Necessary?

Originally posted by ToYLeT902
Hello

I was wondering if a fuel pressure regulator was necessary when runing a 70 shot dry when using the upgraded fuel pump?

i am still not sure if i should install my upgraded fuel pump, since i do not use the nitrous that often, only at the track and occassional street runs... rarely though... or should i sell it to my s/c'd buddy who needs one?
The reason people install an FPR is because the upgraded fuel pump overpowers the stock FPR and the pressure rises too high. The adjustable FPR allows you to bring it back down to the correct pressure. ie 34-43 PSI at idle and WOT.

You can run a bit higher because the computer will read rich from the O2 sensors and cut back but it can only do so much, so it depends on just how high the upgraded fuel pump bumps your pressure. Personally I wouldn't want to run anymore that 2 or 3 psi higher than stock at the most.

Its also different in different cars so you just can't say it will or it won't but historically you will have to get an adjustable FPR if you have the high pressure high output Walbro pump.

I wouldn't run a 70 shot dry with the stock pump.
Old 01-18-2003, 08:09 AM
JET Speed Lab

Re: Re: Is a Fuel Pressure Regulator Necessary?

Originally posted by Jime

The reason people install an FPR is because the upgraded fuel pump overpowers the stock FPR and the pressure rises too high. The adjustable FPR allows you to bring it back down to the correct pressure. ie 34-43 PSI at idle and WOT.

You can run a bit higher because the computer will read rich from the O2 sensors and cut back but it can only do so much, so it depends on just how high the upgraded fuel pump bumps your pressure. Personally I wouldn't want to run anymore that 2 or 3 psi higher than stock at the most.

Its also different in different cars so you just can't say it will or it won't but historically you will have to get an adjustable FPR if you have the high pressure high output Walbro pump.

I wouldn't run a 70 shot dry with the stock pump.
i bought that 255hpl walbro fuel pump from the guy who had the group deal a lil while ago... is that the pump you are talkin about?

what company's make an adjustable FPR and how much do they go for?

34-43 PSI at idle and WOT... this is N/A? if so, what PSI should it be WOT while spraying?
Old 01-18-2003, 08:46 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Is a Fuel Pressure Regulator Necessary?

Originally posted by ToYLeT902
i bought that 255hpl walbro fuel pump from the guy who had the group deal a lil while ago... is that the pump you are talkin about?

what company's make an adjustable FPR and how much do they go for?

34-43 PSI at idle and WOT... this is N/A? if so, what PSI should it be WOT while spraying?
1. Yes that is the pump its the high pressure high flow Walbro.

2. There are a few companies that make an adjustable FPR, Sard, OEM, Holley, etc. They go for around $125 and up.

3. 34-43 is N/A yes. The pressure when spraying depends on the shot you are running and the fuel pressure jet. You want to be VERY sure that you are running the correct fuel pressure to correspond with the HP shot you are running.

This will show you the correct pressures.

http://www.seas.ucla.edu/~cheston/home.html
Old 01-18-2003, 09:24 AM
JET Speed Lab

Re: Re: Re: Re: Is a Fuel Pressure Regulator Necessary?

Originally posted by Jime

1. Yes that is the pump its the high pressure high flow Walbro.

2. There are a few companies that make an adjustable FPR, Sard, OEM, Holley, etc. They go for around $125 and up.

3. 34-43 is N/A yes. The pressure when spraying depends on the shot you are running and the fuel pressure jet. You want to be VERY sure that you are running the correct fuel pressure to correspond with the HP shot you are running.

This will show you the correct pressures.

http://www.seas.ucla.edu/~cheston/home.html
Thanks! Got a lotta info