Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

BIG Thanx to all the peeps involved

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2002, 07:02 PM

BIG Thanx to all the peeps involved

Recently some of you guys have seen quite a few posts that I have done regarding my amp installation. I have just finished installing my amp and component speakers. The whole thing took me about 3-4 weeks and a total of about 40 hours to do. The only thing I didn't do myself was drilling a hole through the firewall. Paid stereo west $25.00 to do it. I took the max out for a spin with the system on.......BOOM FROM THE AMPLIFIERS.

I, first off, wanna thank God for leading me to you guys, cuss out satan for making me spend soo much on this project, and last but not least, I wanna thank you guys for answering every question I posted. Couldn't have done it without ya.

In the end it was one of the hardest project I encountered but worth it, would I do this again? Maybe, but I love the results nonetheless.

Thanks again for everything.
Old 11-18-2002, 07:08 PM
I need a truck

Re: BIG Thanx to all the peeps involved

congrads ... what do you got runnin?
Old 11-18-2002, 07:13 PM

Re: Re: BIG Thanx to all the peeps involved

Originally posted by Conrad283
congrads ... what do you got runnin?

Thanx, I got Infinity perfect 6.1 upfront and infinity kappas in the back (3-way). All running off the kicker 800.4 amp. My first amp and component purchase as well. So far quite happy.
Old 11-18-2002, 07:16 PM

The only thing good/bad from the install is that I can literally hear the quality of the music (i.e. cd quality and above). I now have to be careful of the quality of the music I download. All well.
Old 11-18-2002, 07:37 PM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

Sounds like a nice system
Old 11-18-2002, 07:46 PM

Originally posted by maximadave
Sounds like a nice system

NICE car
Old 11-18-2002, 08:16 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Now that I know I can run more than two sets of componets off of one amp, I will do the same. Oh, by the way, if you download music off the internet, do not download anything less than 128 bits (the sound quality)you know, you want CD or better quality.
Old 11-18-2002, 09:12 PM

Originally posted by GundamWZero
Now that I know I can run more than two sets of componets off of one amp, I will do the same. Oh, by the way, if you download music off the internet, do not download anything less than 128 bits (the sound quality)you know, you want CD or better quality.

Yeah, actually I do not download anything less than 192, but sometimes the 192 sounds like 160 or even 128.

Tell me how the components sound all around (best you can). I kinda like the 6x9s in the rear for a little deeper base. I don't yet have subs, but if I do get one, I am going for thw basslink. No extra amps, box, or wasted space to deal with.
Old 11-19-2002, 05:57 PM

Originally posted by Vumax_1

Yeah, actually I do not download anything less than 192, but sometimes the 192 sounds like 160 or even 128.

I would agree with the 192, after I upgraded my speakers to Focal comps, I had to reburn all my cd's at 192 (from 128).
Old 11-20-2002, 07:43 AM
STFU n00b!

that's why I just never mess with MP3 at all. first time I heard it on my computer system after ripping one of my CDs at 192, I decided never to mess with it in the car. just too much loss in the compression. oh well. it's great for when you're travelling with the wifey and can't dink with the stereo.. just plug in a disc and play for days..
otherwise, I don't mess with it. the SQ sucks on any compressed/digitized format, including CD. too bad I can't drive down the highway with a turntable in the back seat.

Anyway, I highly recommend getting a sub, and I'm not talking about the 1-box-does-it-all stuff. buy a separate sub and a dedicated amp. you'll be much happier in the long run. the install won't be hard at all now that you've done the first one- especially since you don't have to run 500 sets of speaker wires through the car again.
Old 11-20-2002, 09:02 AM

Turntable??? What's that????

Originally posted by Matt93SE
that's why I just never mess with MP3 at all. first time I heard it on my computer system after ripping one of my CDs at 192, I decided never to mess with it in the car. just too much loss in the compression. oh well. it's great for when you're travelling with the wifey and can't dink with the stereo.. just plug in a disc and play for days..
otherwise, I don't mess with it. the SQ sucks on any compressed/digitized format, including CD. too bad I can't drive down the highway with a turntable in the back seat.

Anyway, I highly recommend getting a sub, and I'm not talking about the 1-box-does-it-all stuff. buy a separate sub and a dedicated amp. you'll be much happier in the long run. the install won't be hard at all now that you've done the first one- especially since you don't have to run 500 sets of speaker wires through the car again.
I've heard so many times about how vinyl albums sound better than CDs. I don't get it?? I remember when I was a kid and we used to play them all you would hear is hissing and popping. I've heard the arguments about the analog wave length being truer to the real thing rather than the digital conversion, but I've yet to hear (or even see) a turntable that can out perform a CD.

Then this brings me to those "tube" amplifiers. I was in the store testing main speakers for my home theater and the guy put on this tube amplifier that was like $10,000. I was all "where's the bass???" his reply was "well, tube amplifiers aren't known for their bass". Oh yea, that and the 1/2 hour warm up time..I'll take 2

I don't want to start a whole OT argument about audiophiles vs. bass heads vs. Home Theater enthusiasts but in my opinion we should kill these old technologies and move forward. Vinyl belongs on the side of my house and the tubes belong in the trash
Old 11-20-2002, 09:57 AM

Originally posted by Matt93SE

Yeah the wire installation was a ***** and a half. The hardest part of the installation was gettin the wire through the factory grommets in the door hinges. Saved me $40.00 doing that but I got scratches and blood as a trade off as well as a very sore arm. but yeah, now that I got the wires through and set it should be easy to do additional stuff. I am glad I did it myself, I feel really proud of doing it. I can now enjoy the fruits of my labor

Btw how much would it cost for someone else to install all this for you (amp and components)? And how long would it take them to complete the job? Just out of curiosity.
Old 11-20-2002, 10:19 AM

Yeah the wire installation was a ***** and a half. The hardest part of the installation was gettin the wire through the factory grommets in the door hinges. Saved me $40.00 doing that but I got scratches and blood as a trade off as well as a very sore arm. but yeah, now that I got the wires through and set it should be easy to do additional stuff. I am glad I did it myself, I feel really proud of doing it. I can now enjoy the fruits of my labor

Btw how much would it cost for someone else to install all this for you (amp and components)? And how long would it take them to complete the job? Just out of curiosity.
I don't know exact costs, but I'd imagine over $200 (probably well over). However, don't use that as a comparison for the time you spent. Most car stereo shops will do the job the fastest way possible, not necessarily the right way. When you do things yourself you not only have a feeling of accomplishment, but the assurance that the job is done right.

Years ago (1992) I had a stereo shop install a head unit in my Sentra SE-R. It looked fine until I saw that they had snipped off the factory harness and left me 1/4" of the wire!!!!! I was so p^issed because I knew that a $10 adaptor would have prevented that.

In order to get it back to stock (when I sold the car) I ended up taking crimp connectors and cutting off the plastic ends with a razor blade until only the metal core was left (that still had the plastic coat). Was not easy by any stretch of the imagination but it worked.

As much as I b^itch and scream about getting cut up and bloody and wrenching my back reaching under the dash when I look back at my installs I am all "that was fun!".
Old 11-20-2002, 06:09 PM

When mine was done it took them 6 hours to replace all the factory speakers and add a sub and a 5 channel amp. I kept the factory HU for the stealth factor, plus I was running out of money and figured the speakers would make a much bigger difference. The install cost me $230
Old 11-20-2002, 08:00 PM

Originally posted by spta97

I don't know exact costs, but I'd imagine over $200 (probably well over). However, don't use that as a comparison for the time you spent. Most car stereo shops will do the job the fastest way possible, not necessarily the right way. When you do things yourself you not only have a feeling of accomplishment, but the assurance that the job is done right.

Years ago (1992) I had a stereo shop install a head unit in my Sentra SE-R. It looked fine until I saw that they had snipped off the factory harness and left me 1/4" of the wire!!!!! I was so p^issed because I knew that a $10 adaptor would have prevented that.

In order to get it back to stock (when I sold the car) I ended up taking crimp connectors and cutting off the plastic ends with a razor blade until only the metal core was left (that still had the plastic coat). Was not easy by any stretch of the imagination but it worked.

As much as I b^itch and scream about getting cut up and bloody and wrenching my back reaching under the dash when I look back at my installs I am all "that was fun!".

I felt the same way when I did the installation myself. I knew where everything is and what was done to it. About half way through I didn't know what I was getting into. I was about to give up and send it the shop. But instead I bit my lip and rode out the installation. Now I'm really glad I did it myself. Now if I wanted subs and another amp it shouldn't take me too long and should be a cinch compared to the installation of the first amp and components.

I didn't know it was around that much to let a shop install it for you.