5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 09:29 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Yea I'm a Newbie, and I have a question that you have all probably seen a hundred times before, but I had no where else to turn, and I am no car whiz...at all.

I have 2002 SE, and I noticed that the Driver Side Headlight was out. I got out and of course used my ultrascientific method of tapping on the light and of course nothing happened. I turned the switch a few times and it flickered a few times and then it went dead again. The rest of lights are working, just not the Xenon.

I went to the Manual and it told me to contact a dealer. So I did that and I called the Star Service Dept here in NY, the rep I spoke to was "comatose" because he didn't respond for what seemed like 2 minutes. I told him the problem and he said $1,300 to get it fixed, he didn't even try to ask me other questions like the ballast or the bulb, just said $1,300. I'm no trust fund baby, and I can't afford that much, but I take pride in what I got and I want to get it corrected. Can anyone offer up any solutions, my buddy a Subaru fanatic told me it might be something with the Fuse, Ballast, Ignitor or the Bulb? I tried to search on the ORG and found a how to article but the link didn't work. I am eternally indebted to anyone that can help me out. Thanks and sorry for long msg.

Last edited by xsipnos; 09-21-2007 at 12:23 PM.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by TurtleHead
Post 3028 doesn't mention any seatbelts?
he's right. it doesn't
Old 09-21-2007, 07:49 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I am having a starting problem.

The car is a 00 GXE auto.

It was working fine until I left it sitting for one week while I was out of town. I get back and crank it and it turns over but nothing happends. I tried jumping it with my other car and no luck. So I swap the battery from my other car and it still does the same thing so it is definately not the battery.

After a few tries it starts up and runs smooth as ever but the service soon light comes on. I kept it running until the engine warmed up. I killed the engine and restarted 2 times perfectly. The 3rd time it does like it was doing when it would just turn over but not start.

It has fuel in it and is parked in my leveled driveway so I doubt it is from all of the gas sitting on one side of the tank.

This is really odd because when it does start it runs perfectly, smooth idle, smooth driving, etc...like it used to. So, I do not think it is a fuel filter that is dirty or a faulty fuel pump or injector or even a bad coil pack.

The air filter is also clean so I am stumped.

If you crank it 25 times it will start maybe once....that is how bad it is.

HELP!

Oh, the service soon light did not come on when I got it started the last 2 times.
Old 09-21-2007, 07:54 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by xsipnos
Yea I'm a Newbie, and I have a question that you have all probably seen a hundred times before, but I had no where else to turn, and I am no car whiz...at all.

I have 2002 SE, and I noticed that the Driver Side Headlight was out. I got out and of course used my ultrascientific method of tapping on the light and of course nothing happened. I turned the switch a few times and it flickered a few times and then it went dead again. The rest of lights are working, just not the Xenon.

I went to the Manual and it told me to contact a dealer. So I did that and I called the Star Service Dept here in NY, the rep I spoke to was "comatose" because he didn't respond for what seemed like 2 minutes. I told him the problem and he said $1,300 to get it fixed, he didn't even try to ask me other questions like the ballast or the bulb, just said $1,300. I'm no trust fund baby, and I can't afford that much, but I take pride in what I got and I want to get it corrected. Can anyone offer up any solutions, my buddy a Subaru fanatic told me it might be something with the Fuse, Ballast, Ignitor or the Bulb? I tried to search on the ORG and found a how to article but the link didn't work. I am eternally indebted to anyone that can help me out. Thanks and sorry for long msg.
If you are mechanically inclined, take the bulb from the headlight that is working and swap it with the dead headlight. You will then know if you have a bad bulb or an electrical problem.

If the bulb from the good side works on the dead side you need a new bulb.

If the dead side stays dead then you have an electrical problem.

Before you shop for a ballast make sure power is getting to the ballast. Remove the connector and use a tester to see if it is getting power. If you have to buy a ballast buy a used one.

car-part.com can point you to one in your area. GOOD LUCK.
Old 09-22-2007, 12:13 AM

Quick question, I want to replace the bose sub in the car (because it's out ) and I was wondering what should I do? call up DaveB and get a replacement part? (i really dont want to get the same one to blow it out again) or should I just get an upgrade? (Btw, what are the size and specs of the current bose sub in the car).

Last edited by aackshun; 09-22-2007 at 04:02 AM.
Old 09-22-2007, 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by triksterut
I. It's a 6-spd. When I'm WOT and I go to shift; even after I release the gas peddle, the engine continues to rev for a bit. I know the 02's are drive by wire - is this a slow response from the system or a programmed in "feature"? It does not do this under normal driving conditions and I just noticed it to be odd.

III. Road noise - is it me or is this car way noisy?

I. I have a 6 speed '02 SE, and the exact same thing happens to me. I asked a buddy if that was normal, since I'm not used to the manual transmission, and he wasn't sure what to tell me... But if it makes you feel any better, mine does the exact same thing, only at WOT. Let off the pedal, and the rpms still go up a few hundered...

III. I don't know what road noise means exactly, but I do hear a fair ammount of wind noise on the roof, and passenger side. I thought road noise was when the tires are loud, but I'm pretty sure I'm hearing wind. A little more than an average car, but not enough to really bother me much.

If anyone has an explanation for number "I." I'd be glad to hear/read it.
Old 09-22-2007, 01:40 AM
dot dot dot ...

^^^^^^^^Did you not read my reply?
Old 09-22-2007, 08:09 AM

Yes, I did read your reply. But you said you have the automatic tranny, so I thought there might be something different... If it's not a normal thing with 6 speeds on the board, what would be something to try and fix it? Throttle positioning sensor? Where exactly would that be in the Maxima?
Old 09-22-2007, 09:14 AM
Cletus

its normal
Old 09-22-2007, 11:23 AM

is there a way to tell if a maf sensor is bad w/o taking it to a mechanic so they can tell me it's bad. I want to make sure that's what's bogus before i take it to them. I'd take the thing apart but i don't have the little star-shaped screwdriver thing. ideas?

symptoms = studdering acceleration, occasional dying when in park, a significant loss of power it seems, and it seems to hit a wall at about 70 mph where it takes about 3 days to get to 80+ mph.

over the summer, i had my mechanic back home clean the sensor and the throttle body for the same symptoms. It was better about not dying and stuff, but ever since, the lack of power / dying has started to return.

tia org
Old 09-22-2007, 12:38 PM
TurtleHead

Originally Posted by GigEmAgs07
is there a way to tell if a maf sensor is bad w/o taking it to a mechanic so they can tell me it's bad. I want to make sure that's what's bogus before i take it to them. I'd take the thing apart but i don't have the little star-shaped screwdriver thing. ideas?

symptoms = studdering acceleration, occasional dying when in park, a significant loss of power it seems, and it seems to hit a wall at about 70 mph where it takes about 3 days to get to 80+ mph.

over the summer, i had my mechanic back home clean the sensor and the throttle body for the same symptoms. It was better about not dying and stuff, but ever since, the lack of power / dying has started to return.

tia org
Unplug the MAF and see how it idles. It should idle better. There are a zillion threads on how to diagnos your MAF. If I had the search option, I would find the threads.

It does sound like the MAF is the problem though.

Old 09-22-2007, 01:06 PM
Cletus

Unplug the MAF and see how it idles. It should idle better. There are a zillion threads on how to diagnos your MAF. If I had the search option, I would find the threads.

It does sound like the MAF is the problem though.

if you unplug the MAF, the engine will die
Old 09-22-2007, 01:38 PM
TurtleHead

Originally Posted by soonerfan

if you unplug the MAF, the engine will die

Thats odd because I just did it last week........

Old 09-22-2007, 03:40 PM
dot dot dot ...

Engine will not die. It will go into limp mode(per se). Will not rev past 2k or so. But it will/can get you home.
Old 09-22-2007, 05:22 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by xsipnos

Try getting a new bulb.
Old 09-22-2007, 09:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Ping/Knock P0171 code

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Instead of trying to thinking about it too much, be simple. Get colder plugs and an oil catch can.
Well...I just got a P0171 code today and now I'm confused again...what do you think. I just cleaned the MAF last week due to stalling during idle and I'm wondering if I should have reset the ECU to let the system re-learn.
Old 09-22-2007, 09:12 PM
dot dot dot ...

Instead of cleaning it,(band aid) get a new one.
Old 09-22-2007, 09:13 PM
WSH for teh cup

Originally Posted by greentea1
Well...I just got a P0171 code today and now I'm confused again...what do you think. I just cleaned the MAF last week due to stalling during idle and I'm wondering if I should have reset the ECU to let the system re-learn.
Did you ever replace your ECU? It wouldn't hurt to reset the ECU (by unhooking the negative battery terminal for a night) and if it is a problem, the code will appear again
Old 09-22-2007, 09:14 PM
WSH for teh cup

Instead of cleaning it,(band aid) get a new one.
And yes.... I agree
Old 09-22-2007, 10:20 PM

Why does my engine ping if I put anything but premium in the car?
Old 09-22-2007, 10:28 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hummmm......... it shouldn't, normally if the knock sensor is functioning --using 87 will trip a ghost (no cel) knock sensor code AND retard ignition timing enough to stop any pre-ignition.

but, to answer your question, how should we know? There are many things that could be the cause. Google pre-ignition and detonation
Old 09-23-2007, 10:31 AM

Do 2000 SEs have traction control?

And is it bad for the engine to launch the car? Like when you hold the brake all the way down when stopped then rev it to 4-5 RPMs and then let go of the brake.
Old 09-23-2007, 04:08 PM

drilled rotors

Anyone know where i can get a good set of drilled front 6th gen rotors to use for my Z32 upgrade, i've been lookin and i havent seen any.
Old 09-23-2007, 04:11 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by SE My 6sp
Anyone know where i can get a good set of drilled front 6th gen rotors to use for my Z32 upgrade, i've been lookin and i havent seen any.
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=279373
Old 09-23-2007, 04:15 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by TeH BawNeY

And is it bad for the engine to launch the car? Like when you hold the brake all the way down when stopped then rev it to 4-5 RPMs and then let go of the brake.
Ummm, HELLO!??? Duh! obviously that's bad for the entire drivetrain.

But I regularly bang revlimiter for 30+ seconds while holding the e-brake up, I've killed brand new tires in a single night, and I've killed ones that had about 60% life left in a single burnout. There is nothing like smoke billowing from both wheel wells and coming through the dashboard until you can't see any more, I've gotten better at remembering to roll the windows down BEFORE

If your car has traction control there will be a 'slip' or 'tcs' light that comes on on the dashboard.
Old 09-23-2007, 04:20 PM
dot dot dot ...

Is your car auto or manual?
Old 09-23-2007, 04:32 PM
wat

Is your car auto or manual?
holy crap, that trans must be slipping like crazy to do that.
Old 09-23-2007, 04:39 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by chopstix2nrz
holy crap, that trans must be slipping like crazy to do that.

That was my thought, if in fact he’s auto. Stock TC has a stall speed of IIRC 2200 or 2400 ( ) If he’s manual, then he doesn’t have TCS.
Old 09-23-2007, 04:53 PM

I have an auto.

Its so fun to do, obviously I don't have traction control.
Old 09-23-2007, 04:55 PM
dot dot dot ...

I have an auto.

Its so fun to do, obviously I don't have traction control.
So, you’re neutral dropping?
Old 09-23-2007, 05:00 PM
WSH for teh cup

Old 09-23-2007, 05:01 PM

No its like impossible to neutral drop, the computer doesn't give the engine power until the rpms fall below 2000.

What I do is hold the brake all the way down then give it gas until the rpms reach about 5000, then I let go of the brake and the car launches.

Its kinda like a cheap imitation of launch control imo.
Old 09-23-2007, 05:04 PM
dot dot dot ...

No its like impossible to neutral drop, the computer doesn't give the engine power until the rpms fall below 2000.

What I do is hold the brake all the way down then give it gas until the rpms reach about 5000, then I let go of the brake and the car launches.

Its kinda like a cheap imitation of launch control imo.
If this is the truth, your tranny is toast.
Old 09-23-2007, 05:14 PM

If this is the truth, your tranny is toast.
How much longer does it have?
Old 09-23-2007, 05:26 PM
TurtleHead

How much longer does it have?
20 more minutes and it's toast

It's has to be very hard on the tranny/TC and engine to do what you are doing.

Old 09-23-2007, 06:45 PM

20 more minutes and it's toast

It's has to be very hard on the tranny/TC and engine to do what you are doing.
lol

Old 09-23-2007, 06:59 PM
Cletus

you people obviously care about your cars and take good care of them
Old 09-23-2007, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by soonerfan
you people obviously care about your cars and take good care of them
lol i didnt know thats bad for the engine.
Old 09-23-2007, 07:46 PM
WSH for teh cup

lol i didnt know thats bad for the engine.
It's not so much your engine..... It's your tranny, drivetrain
Old 09-23-2007, 08:42 PM

Was the stock K on the Hid ligth on a 02-03?

Quick Reply: 5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread