6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Plz Help, Engine Noises

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 05:14 PM

Plz Help, Engine Noises

I remember a while ago, there was a member who posted a thread about his engine sounding like a diesel. Well, my sounds like one now. I think have located the two noises coming from the engine. One is somewhere close to the intake manifold and the other "I think" is the belt itself. I have brought my car back to the dealership several time because of this issue. The first time, they said the tensioner was loose, so they tighten it back. Problem solved, but only for a few days. This noise from the video shows up again in no time. Then, afterwards all the dealership tells me is that they could not reproduce the sound I mention and they have inspected the belt which is in good condition.

At first, the noise just come and go. Sometimes after the engine has warmed up the noise goes away. But now it stays even if the engine has warmed up. The video is taken when the engine is still hot.

Please help me to get rid of this noise, it gets quite embarrassing after a while cuz maxima does attract attention on the road but the engine is making a noise like its a piece of junk

P.S please excuse my English. As you can tell, it is not my first language.

Video here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZoMFHhS03M

Better Quality:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=V22Z3ZL0
only 3.2 mb , fast download
Old 05-04-2007, 05:29 PM

Man that sounds horrible. Sounds like an older engine with little viscosity on the pistons with old oil or very little. Hopefully not that. Could be something as simple as a heat shield. pretty dirty up there, make sure you clean your air filter.
Old 05-04-2007, 05:44 PM

thx for the quick reply,
I changed my oil couple weeks ago, so that shouldnt be a problem.
I checked the air filter just now they look pretty clean as well.
The noise has been there for quite a while now, so I hope its not the viscosity thats causing this.
Old 05-04-2007, 10:02 PM
"Ok,Whats next?!?!"

damn thats nasty ... goto a different dealership... that might help going some place that hasnt made up their minds already...
Old 05-05-2007, 04:48 AM

Holy cow, I'd do what it took to ge tthe dealerships attention on this. I don't care if they have to keep your car overnight. I would also show them the video.
Old 05-05-2007, 12:03 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by coitaltie
Sounds like an older engine with little viscosity on the pistons with old oil or very little.
Viscosity is the resistance to flow. So, what did you mean by that?
Old 05-05-2007, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Viscosity is the resistance to flow. So, what did you mean by that?
Just sounds like my old honda with 240000 miles on it. Just was saying that it sounded like an old engine that was getting sludge build up and not as lubricated as a new engine. No science lesson needed. The easier the psitons move the less sound they hopefully make.
Old 05-05-2007, 04:03 PM

so sludge will still build even though i change my oil every 6000kms?
if thats the case, do u guys think one of those STP cleaners would help? if not what can i do?
Old 05-06-2007, 07:50 AM

that is really horrible....does it sound like this all the time or just during start up?
try cleaning up your air throttle and all the other components related to the intake mani.
Old 05-06-2007, 07:57 AM

sounds like valve train noise..like you need lash adjustment...or your timing chain is loose
Old 05-06-2007, 08:43 AM

Yea I hear valves...because an engine normally makes that sound just very quietly..thats normal thats all the valves moving. im guessing what nightspyder said..valve adjustment.
Old 05-06-2007, 09:54 AM
dot dot dot ...

Valve adjustment? You're probably hearing fuel injectors
Old 05-06-2007, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by nightspyder0
sounds like valve train noise..like you need lash adjustment...or your timing chain is loose
I agree. But it's hard (for me) to give a good diagnosis from a video.

A good mechanic should be able to diagnose the problem -- even if the noise is coming from the fuel injectors. I like the idea of going to another dealer and see what their service department says.

Your English is as good (and is some cases better -- particularly spelling) than some on this site who were raised speaking it.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:56 PM

fuel injectors could never make that much noise
Old 05-10-2007, 09:20 PM

Exact Same Problem Here

Finally, someone else with the same problem! My '04 has nearly 120k miles on her already, and at around 90k miles was diagnosed as burning oil at a rate of 1qt per 1000 miles! The vehicle now has lost a sizeable amount of its power and is very pedestrian at this point. I, too, had taken it in but was told the noise was all due to the oil consumption.

Well, I love the car, but it's time to get rid of her...clearly I have an engine that wasn't built quite to spec! I am not about to pay for a new engine. The good news for me is that the noise completely goes away for the first 5-600 miles after an oil change....whether that takes 1 day or 3 weeks. Can you say a quick oil change before trading it in?

Good luck with yours...but I had mechanics (not Nissan) tell me this is a serious issue and one to run from! They even advised against having them spend my money to find the exact cause of it since it will be internal.

Best Wishes!
Old 05-12-2007, 09:36 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

I'd recommend changing your oil to synthetic if you haven't already done so and send your used oil to blackstone for analysis. They can tell you alot about your engine just by analyzing your spent (used) oil.
Old 05-12-2007, 10:21 PM

well...took my car to the dealer they had a mechanic to look at the problem.
after liastening to the noise, he said it was just the fuel injector and it is the way they are suppose to sound. (Note: he said the injectors will wear out as the mileage increase, but i am only at 52000km so i dont think that should apply to me.)

So suppose it is the injectors, do u guys think fuel injector cleaners would help at all?

To shottime: did ur mechanic say anything about what was causing the problem? cuz my car is not burning oil, at least not at a noticeable rate.

To xoomer: how much will it cost me to have my oil analyzed and how long will it take? I take it that they are located in the US, so can i jus "ship" my oil to them?
Old 05-12-2007, 11:31 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

visit their site, its like $25. I am going to do it for the first time this week after reading some threads about it.

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

As far as injector cleaner, yeah put a bottle of chevron brand. I think thats what I put.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:42 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

PC problem, can't listen to the utube.

If it sounds like a diesel check the oil pressure, idle@14lbs, 2000rpm@43lbs.
This will help assess if main bearings or rod bearings are bad. The noise would come from the lower part of the engine block. Crawl under the car and use a ste_thoscope to listen if if the bottom end of the engine is in trouble.
You could use a long screwdriver that you put to your ear.

The odds are some of the lifters need lash adjustment (a few hours of work). That's considered normal wear and you have to pay. It could be a cam bearing. The noise would come from the top of the engine.

I use a ste_thoscope for engine noise. It can tell me if one or all lifters need adjustments. It can pinpoint a noisy injector or other internal noises.

At 52000km, you are still under warranty. The dealer is probably buying time in hope your warranty runs out and then you have to pay.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:17 PM

Maybe it's just me but my car has always made noises like that. So do all the Nissans I have started. Maybe I'm just missing something.
Old 05-15-2007, 03:54 PM

Yea, Im experiencing a similar problem with my engine with the belt but I only hear the noise at ~2000 RPM. It sounds similar the a screeching belt but i only hear it at around that 2 on the rpm gauge. Any ideas?
Old 05-15-2007, 04:37 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

LOL

OP I think you are referring to me.
I posted one thread a while ago about having engine noise in my car.

Here is the detail of my car:

I changed oil - No fix
Changed from regular to Synthetic Oil - No fix
Used fuel injector cleaner - No fix
Used BG44 in fuel - No fix
Checked crack exhaust issue - No issue, No fix
Went to dealer for points inspection - Dealer says everything is GOOD !!

I probably need:
Valve/injector or whatever adjustment - how much that cost? dealer or local?
Checking belts & pully - how much that cost? dealer or local?
Timing chain diagnostic - how much that cost? dealer or local?
Or what else someone can suggest ??

TIA
Old 05-20-2007, 05:44 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Low squeaking noise when revv'n 06 maxima SL in park position

hello people,

wazzup, hope the nismos are keeping you occupied. well i did not know where to post this concern of mine, but this thread looked close to what i have on my 06 maxma SL. Im sorry for posting this issue in an another thread..as i wanted people worrying abt noises to catch this one and maye chip in.... Here is the deal....

One day accidently i revved the car when in park and it made a low squeaking ( sometimes rhythemic) noise from under the engine area, or maybe near the rear motoe mounts...but definately somewhere under the engine. I took it to the dealer and enquired about this squeak, ad he said that the rear motor mounts for maximas are fluid filled, and they all make that squeak when they get activated...activated??? anyways, it s a brand new car and i have full warrenty, so i asked him to replace the mount, whcih he did but the problem still persists. Now Im thinking it was not the mounts, and the dealership screwed up as usual. I was thinking of the drive belts causing the squeak, but i heard for the maxima SL, they are good to go for like 100k miles, mine has only 11k miles on it. Can anyone here in this forumn help me with some advise as to how to go about this. IM so frustrated that I wanted to trade in my car for a 07 SL, but i know it s nt worth it, moreover i wanted to go for the 09 maxima later...is there anyone with a similar problem..

I dont know if the low squeak happens when i m driving and accelerating, as i cannot hear it, but if you park the car and rev it, you can hear it ..its not loud, but it s surely a squeak. Friends, please advise...
Old 05-23-2007, 05:48 PM

Finally got a new sound card. Wayne, some of your engine noise if from valve lash (the gap between the valve stem and the camshaft). The engine has 24 shims of various thickness that sit between the cam and each valve. With time, the shims need replacing to bring the gap back to specs. Too large a gap, and a valve begins to make a tapping noise. Your engine sounds like it has many 'tapping' valves. The stealership with probably charge big $$$ for this.

1) Buy better oil, maybe slighly thicker oil like 10W40. When I switched to synthetic, AMSOIL 0W30, I had a noticable decrease in engine noise. MOBIL-1 is also an excellect choice.

Sludge: Castrol is the only oil have seen to cause sludge buildup.

I did the oil sampling (engine and tranny). You order a free container from Blackstone.com. You unscrew the oil filter and collect a few ounces. Put the filter back. Mail the sample (+$20 or $30) and get an email within a week and a hard copy a few days later. I suggest you do it a few times to find out if your driving pattern requires an oil change at 3,5 or 8K miles. You still need to change your oil filter every 3-4K. Buy the longer oil filter OEM 15208-9E000 or Purolator PL14610 from 98-07 Altima V6 or 99-03 Maxima. It has 50% more filtering material.
Old 05-23-2007, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by sosbuddha
hello people,

wazzup, hope the nismos are keeping you occupied. well i did not know where to post this concern of mine, but this thread looked close to what i have on my 06 maxma SL. Im sorry for posting this issue in an another thread..as i wanted people worrying abt noises to catch this one and maye chip in.... Here is the deal....

One day accidently i revved the car when in park and it made a low squeaking ( sometimes rhythemic) noise from under the engine area, or maybe near the rear motoe mounts...but definately somewhere under the engine. I took it to the dealer and enquired about this squeak, ad he said that the rear motor mounts for maximas are fluid filled, and they all make that squeak when they get activated...activated??? anyways, it s a brand new car and i have full warrenty, so i asked him to replace the mount, whcih he did but the problem still persists. Now Im thinking it was not the mounts, and the dealership screwed up as usual. I was thinking of the drive belts causing the squeak, but i heard for the maxima SL, they are good to go for like 100k miles, mine has only 11k miles on it. Can anyone here in this forumn help me with some advise as to how to go about this. IM so frustrated that I wanted to trade in my car for a 07 SL, but i know it s nt worth it, moreover i wanted to go for the 09 maxima later...is there anyone with a similar problem..

I dont know if the low squeak happens when i m driving and accelerating, as i cannot hear it, but if you park the car and rev it, you can hear it ..its not loud, but it s surely a squeak. Friends, please advise...
Have no fear sosbuddha, it is definitely the motor mount. I know exactly what you are talking about as it also happens to my 2003 Infiniti I35. Your stealership was right when they told you that the motor mount is fluid filled.

I heard a new Murano having the same squeak noise one day as I was leaving the public garage where I park my car. I have to say that it really isn't normal but yet it isn't a problem either. It is one of those "per design" irritations that some cars can have. Your 2006 Maxi is fine. It takes a lot to ground those cars. I have only owned Maximas and Maxima based (Infiniti I35) vehicles and they have been super reliable despite any annoying squeaks or rattles, which they have had and or have.

I am waiting on the 2008 Maxima so I can grab the last of the A34 chassis Maximas in case if the 7th gen turns out to be crap, which I hope it won't be.
Old 05-24-2007, 07:04 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I had the same problem after I bought my 2006 3 weeks ago. After the engine warms up it sounds like a diesel. I did some checking and found out that it was a fuel rail that was making those noises. The fuel dameners went bad. It is easy to check, just touch the fuel line and see if it makes a noise. There is a TSB from a dealer on this issue. The dealer will fix it under warranty, I am still waiting for them to receive the part, in the mean time I uncliped the fuel line from the firewall, so the noiuse does not travel ..
Old 05-27-2007, 11:12 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by anthony79
I had the same problem after I bought my 2006 3 weeks ago. After the engine warms up it sounds like a diesel. I did some checking and found out that it was a fuel rail that was making those noises. The fuel dameners went bad. It is easy to check, just touch the fuel line and see if it makes a noise. There is a TSB from a dealer on this issue. The dealer will fix it under warranty, I am still waiting for them to receive the part, in the mean time I uncliped the fuel line from the firewall, so the noiuse does not travel ..
So do you require to change the fuel tubes?

What about two O-Ring at fuel enjector and one O-Ring at fuel damper?

Or are you only changing fuel dampers?

Also can you explain in details how did you unclip the fuel line from the firewall?

I believe I have exactly the same problem.
Engine runs like diesel at warm/idle and makes gid gid gid gid gid gid noise.
It will stop if I drive my car or may be noise get burried while driving.
Old 05-30-2007, 01:17 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I think the dealer will only change the dampeners and O-rings for each dampener. I doubt they will change the rails or anything else.

You know, at the top the fuel line is held by two plastic clips to the firewall, there is a plastic filter of some sort, so you simply unclip it so it is loose and that should prevent most of the noise from travelling inside the body of the car.

In my case I also felt the buzzing noise through the gas pedal at 1900 RPM, after I unclipped the fuel line it was gone.
Old 05-30-2007, 01:20 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

The reason why you don't hear it when you start driving is because the frequency of the fuel injector pulses changes when rpm changes.
Old 05-30-2007, 03:42 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by anthony79
I think the dealer will only change the dampeners and O-rings for each dampener. I doubt they will change the rails or anything else.

You know, at the top the fuel line is held by two plastic clips to the firewall, there is a plastic filter of some sort, so you simply unclip it so it is loose and that should prevent most of the noise from travelling inside the body of the car.

In my case I also felt the buzzing noise through the gas pedal at 1900 RPM, after I unclipped the fuel line it was gone.
Thanks for your reply anthony79, thanks a lot.

My car has currently 56k miles but I believ I will be ok until 60k miles for engine/transmission warranty. Do you think so I will find resistance from dealer to change dampers free under warranty?

If I look at my engine compartment, I can absolutely hear this gid gid gid gid or tik tik tik tik noise at fuel rails.
But if I go close to belts side of engine, I also hear this kind of noise. But if I go close to the air filter side of engine, I sure can hear those noises clearly. Do you think so those dampers cause these noises to travel all around?
Old 03-28-2009, 06:10 AM

GOD DAMN THAT IS THE SAME PROBLEM I HAVE RIGHT NOW.

Here is the crappy U-tube sound clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXd1OXf6BmE

OP (Wayne) how did you fix this problem?
Or anyone else having the same problem, what was your diagnose for this noise?