3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

R33 tails installed

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 08:15 PM

R33 tails installed

I got my car back today from the shop. They took some pics during the work. Here are a few. I will be taking more pics this next week.

If you look at the first pic, you can see how much was removed from the trunk by how far the key was moved over. The last one shows how different the two lights are. I still plan on painting the bezels white.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:17 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Maybe it is the shape of the rear end but they don't seem to line up properly. But props anyway for actually getting it done.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:20 PM

It seemed that way to me too but it is more of an optical illusion when you get close. The problem stems from the R33's being for a car with a curved back end and the max being a flat one.
Old 03-08-2007, 09:00 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by jonmandude
It seemed that way to me too but it is more of an optical illusion when you get close. The problem stems from the R33's being for a car with a curved back end and the max being a flat one.
Is there a lip on the lower edge of the tail lights where they stick out beyond the inch of body just above the top of the bumper? If so maybe the illusion would be mended by fabricating that little bit of body to extend out and meet fulshly with the curvature of the bottom of the light. can you shoot a pic from the side?
Old 03-09-2007, 04:55 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

I am not going to be critical of their work but IMO it would have looked better if they would have put the lights up against the bumper like Stu did instead of putting that filler piece and raising the lights. I think once you paint the bezels it should help that transition though. Again thats just my opinion and how I would have done it.

also just curious why they cut the two notches on each edge of the trunk above the lights. I assume its for water drainage but thats just a guess.

other than that looks good.
Old 03-09-2007, 12:42 PM

They really put some thouht into making it flow. I would probubly of liked to see the tail lights on the bumper(like what michael said). Then have the bumper modified to match the curve of the tail lights. They did a good job for what they did. Of course moding the bumper would be mo money.
Old 03-09-2007, 06:42 PM
Get Off My Lawn

Look forward to seeing additional pics and painted skyline covers.
Old 03-09-2007, 06:57 PM
Way out West

Props on the work. Sorry, I am just not feeling the look, though.

I like the WRX tails, but those just don't look right to me on a 3rd gen.
Old 03-09-2007, 09:01 PM

Great questions. Where to start?

The lights have a curve to them so the do not flow even with the rear of the car. To put them directly on the bumper made that more obvious, so we decided to move them up a little. I am not sure which way would look better, we settled for this (lesser of two evils?). I hear what you are saying.

The two notches are to make the trunk fit the lights. The option was cut the lights or cut the trunk. I think that notch must be where fender, trunk and lights intersect on the Skyline.

I am undecided if I am truly happy with the look yet. One thing for sure it is different.Too late for second thoughts, huh? I am hoping painting the bezels to match car will help them flow better. It seems that other cars all have matching bezels and it works. The black definitely makes them look like they don't belong. I have to work all weekend so I won't get pics until next week, probably Monday. They definitely look great when lit. Maybe remove the bezels and paint them Monday too.
Old 03-10-2007, 02:17 AM

good job man. lots of people dont like tail lights mods but i think its Original, different and creative. Keep on modding the best looking gen. max out there!
Old 03-10-2007, 06:43 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

I get what you are saying...its just seems like this---

is less noticeable than with the metal under it. That could be because of the color though...the green will kind of make it blend in where the white will not.

I do think that once the bezels are painted it will be much better (not that it looks bad now).

props for going through with it though. I bought a pair a while back and never put them on. I sold them to another org member a while back when I decided I was going to sell my car.

I want to see someone put R34 lights on now.
Old 03-10-2007, 06:51 AM
OG Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Michael
...I want to see someone put R34 lights on now...
Buy some for me, Mike, and I'll give it a go.
Old 03-10-2007, 08:17 AM

I saw r34's locally, never got to take a pic, but it was Tight. ANd at night, it look real badass.
Old 03-26-2007, 04:24 PM

Well I finally got around to taking some pics with the bezels painted white. I also took a side shot for you capedcadaver

I also took one of my VHT "Nite Shades" tinted turn signals and corners
Old 03-26-2007, 04:34 PM

do you got any night shots of this bad boy? nice work!
Old 03-26-2007, 05:02 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

it looks much better with the bezels painted.
Old 03-26-2007, 05:16 PM
Boomer Sooner

hrmmmm.... not my cup-o-tea .... but props on going for it and some will love it!
Old 03-26-2007, 05:42 PM

i agree with mike that the light should have been set lower, but i also think they should have been set further appart. although they minimized the ammount of metal they cut, it would have been easier on them to cut out a rough hole and weld in the buckets.

i do give you alot of props for doing it as opposed to talking like alot of people on here do
Old 03-26-2007, 06:12 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

well, good job on all the detail-oriented fabrication and stuff... but the look isn't for me. to each their own..
Old 03-26-2007, 07:20 PM

meh honestly i hate it. but if you like it rock it.
Old 03-26-2007, 07:53 PM

maybe its me! or my computer moniter!, but it seem to me that the right side dosn't sit as flush as the left side! And also they should'nt of cut the trunk there's enough room to mold them if done properly. Theres a guy out here in arizona that has them and his dosn't look to bad. Not for me though. prop onthe transfomation.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:00 PM
Doctor D I presume???

Well I finally got around to taking some pics with the bezels painted white. I also took a side shot for you capedcadaver

I also took one of my VHT "Nite Shades" tinted turn signals and corners

looks very similar to an r-31 from the 80's Like it, its different..... turbo perhaps in the works?
Old 03-26-2007, 08:05 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I don't roll like that, but props on doing something different / original...
Old 03-26-2007, 08:31 PM

To be honest, if it were my car i'd be pretty disapointed. I don't want to be too harsh, because you did pay a nice chunk for the work, and I already kind of gave you a hard time about it which I apologize for, but for the money, I think they could have done a better job. It looks like they just kind of threw them on there. A simple comparison with the mad UK max shows pretty clearly what they did wrong. Ironically, if they would have spaced them further apart so the edge of the corners are flush with the quarters they could have avoided the drastic inward angle of the lights. The curvature of the skyline and stock max housings are actually pretty similar and by installing them as close as the are, they couldn't set the corners as deep as they should be resulting it the overhang and inward angle As far as the spacers go, I don't understand it. Hopefully you're satisfied though, it looks decent, and you have them in there which is more than I can say.

Enjoy
Old 03-26-2007, 08:56 PM
Alex_V

+1 to hetic.

And whats with the notch in the trunk lid over the outter part of the tails? Thats pretty distracting. As is the contour line in the trunk lid connecting the tails,and gap between the lid and bumper... A nice stillen spoiler would help alot...I too would be pissed off for that much money. But if you enjoy it more power to you.

~Alex

Old 03-26-2007, 10:59 PM

I couldn't look you in the eye and tell you that I am 100% happy with the results, so I hear what you are saying. But on the other hand I am more happy with these than the stock SE tail. I had a vision in my head of how it would look, but in fab work reality does not always cooperate with ideology. (right goon?)

As for the wing, the stock one was starting to open on the ends and I think we all know the rust problems the stock wings create. I have been shopping for one I like but cannot find one that I am truly excited about. I hate the 3-feet-off-the-deck-lid ricer wings. I like the Wings West wing but not enough. Most of the well made CF wings I find are mucho-dinero and too gawdy.

I did get a nice little surprise when I had them weld up the stock wing holes. Besides the 2" hole that was starting to rust under one end, the trunk has actually been dented from using the spoiler to close the trunk.
Old 03-27-2007, 07:16 AM
STFU n00b!

Would look much better if the paint matched and you ditched the ghey **** GTR badges.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:17 AM

doesnt really flow at all and get rid of those gtr badges ricer boy you have a fwd not awd.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:30 AM

I couldn't look you in the eye and tell you that I am 100% happy with the results, so I hear what you are saying. But on the other hand I am more happy with these than the stock SE tail. I had a vision in my head of how it would look, but in fab work reality does not always cooperate with ideology. (right goon?)

As for the wing, the stock one was starting to open on the ends and I think we all know the rust problems the stock wings create. I have been shopping for one I like but cannot find one that I am truly excited about. I hate the 3-feet-off-the-deck-lid ricer wings. I like the Wings West wing but not enough. Most of the well made CF wings I find are mucho-dinero and too gawdy.

I did get a nice little surprise when I had them weld up the stock wing holes. Besides the 2" hole that was starting to rust under one end, the trunk has actually been dented from using the spoiler to close the trunk.
i understand your concern for modding ur max. but when you alter with the the body as far as recontructing or altering the orginial body you have to make sure you come correct. If i was u i would'nt paid a dime to them. but they could have done so much better. like mention r33 tails are similar to the stock gxe, se tails so it should'nt be that hard to mold. so if you was'nt happy with the results then ur pretty much stuck with it.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:11 AM

The responses of some you of you amaze me. I respect those that say "not for me". To each their own. But those of you that say "ghey" or "ricer boy" truly exemplify why import owners are not respected in other communities. You don't even show respect to others in your own community. I did something that I enjoy, something that is not your taste. That is fine, I respect your opinion. I shared something that I thought some have shown interest in. I have tried to help those that are trying to schedule Maxus. I have helped Matt with parts. I have shared my knowledge with others here. And what to I get in return? Name calling. Thanks guys.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:48 AM

The responses of some you of you amaze me. I respect those that say "not for me". To each their own. But those of you that say "ghey" or "ricer boy" truly exemplify why import owners are not respected in other communities. You don't even show respect to others in your own community. I did something that I enjoy, something that is not your taste. That is fine, I respect your opinion. I shared something that I thought some have shown interest in. I have tried to help those that are trying to schedule Maxus. I have helped Matt with parts. I have shared my knowledge with others here. And what to I get in return? Name calling. Thanks guys.
im an import fan and proud of it when i mod my max i dont give a damn what people think or say. because at the end of the day i still love my car. Like for example most people say why mod a fwd when ur limited. my responce is if i can go out and buy a car or truck with 300+hp then i would get tired of it quick. but if i can take a car thats paid for and dump a couple of grand into it then i feel like accomplish somthing other than nothing. It feels good to go to a local junkyard and experiment with used parts and come out with a show piece. I dont think you can do that with a new vechile. when u buy a new car you have to go with whats avalible. and outcome my be lowsey. And also i like a 4dsc cheap on insurance and reliable to all the abuse i give it.

but my advise is this is a forum when you advetise ur vechile you'll get c****izim and you'll get compliments just roll with the punches.

this isn't burger king " You cant always have it your way" lol
Old 03-28-2007, 04:43 AM

maximas are not imports lol they are a family car >_< yes they are very smooth to drive and are pretty luxurious for their price but they are slow and were delivered locally.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:05 AM

I think ive seen you on Cardomain?? I love what you have done with the front end and its interesting with the backend!! And, yeah I agree they could have spaced the tail lights out a lil bit more. But hey, it looks good. I like what youve done to it so far! Are you going to get a spoiler? I suggest a CF spoiler. It would match with the CF hood.
Props man.. :]]
Old 03-28-2007, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by 2Legal4Me
im an import fan and proud of it when i mod my max i dont give a damn what people think or say. because at the end of the day i still love my car. Like for example most people say why mod a fwd when ur limited. my responce is if i can go out and buy a car or truck with 300+hp then i would get tired of it quick. but if i can take a car thats paid for and dump a couple of grand into it then i feel like accomplish somthing other than nothing. It feels good to go to a local junkyard and experiment with used parts and come out with a show piece. I dont think you can do that with a new vechile. when u buy a new car you have to go with whats avalible. and outcome my be lowsey. And also i like a 4dsc cheap on insurance and reliable to all the abuse i give it.

but my advise is this is a forum when you advetise ur vechile you'll get c****izim and you'll get compliments just roll with the punches.

this isn't burger king " You cant always have it your way" lol
Well put. I am not opposed to criticism if it is done with respect. I take that in stride and appreciate the comments. I listen to the criticisms because often the comments, though not always positive, get me to think in a different way. What I do not understand is the name calling or putting down because I don't do things the same as the other person. I encourage criticism. heck, I put my car out there I better be able to take it. I wish those with the un-necessary comments would just be able to be tollerant of others ideas and understand that we all get on the org because we all share a common interest (our Maximas). Because someone takes a different direction with their Max than you would, doesn't make it "ricer" or "ghey", just different.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by saxytothemaxima
I think ive seen you on Cardomain?? I love what you have done with the front end and its interesting with the backend!! And, yeah I agree they could have spaced the tail lights out a lil bit more. But hey, it looks good. I like what youve done to it so far! Are you going to get a spoiler? I suggest a CF spoiler. It would match with the CF hood.
Props man.. :]]
Thanks. I have been searching for a Cf spoiler that fits with what I like. It is not an easy find. Most CF spoilers are the "2 feet off the deck lid" type. While that look may work on the euro and german tracks, it is not a look I like on the street.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Gen3BluMax
maximas are not imports lol they are a family car >_< yes they are very smooth to drive and are pretty luxurious for their price but they are slow and were delivered locally.
hey now reality check considering the year this car came out it was the real 4dsc and it's a nissan so therfore it is classified as an import any and everyone knows that. Get ur faqs straight.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:27 AM

Well put. I am not opposed to criticism if it is done with respect. I take that in stride and appreciate the comments. I listen to the criticisms because often the comments, though not always positive, get me to think in a different way. What I do not understand is the name calling or putting down because I don't do things the same as the other person. I encourage criticism. heck, I put my car out there I better be able to take it. I wish those with the un-necessary comments would just be able to be tollerant of others ideas and understand that we all get on the org because we all share a common interest (our Maximas). Because someone takes a different direction with their Max than you would, doesn't make it "ricer" or "ghey", just different.
your right! got a good point!

A keep maximin til you can't max no more
Old 03-28-2007, 11:02 AM
I can has?

I would be disappointed with the work for the amount of money you paid. But since no one has asked you yet, how do you think the quality was? Since it is after all... your car.

As for the rude and disrespectful comments, don't even sweat it dude. There will ALWAYS be those people in society who can't manage to do things in a respectful, or professional manner. Not everyone is good at sugar coating their feelings, and don't care enough to, so for them... the only way to deal is to just brush it off.

And often "Ricer" isn't always mean, sometimes things just look ricer.... and I'm almost glad some people have said some of my idea's were in the past. Looking back they obviously were, but hey... that's how you learn, and tastes often change.

Anyway, good luck with your car... hope you enjoy your maxima.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:12 AM

Personally, it does not suit my taste, but to each his own. I am more a fan of euro-turner looks than anything else.

I do have to get props to you and respect that hard work you put in. Not many people take their time, money, and efforts to truely make the car theirs. Glad you like it though!
Old 03-28-2007, 12:55 PM
Alex_V

I do hate the GTR badge. Only AWD turbo high power nissans deserve that badge IMO.

~Alex

Quick Reply: R33 tails installed