Detailing Discuss how to make your car sparkly clean for car shows, local meets, or any other reason. What products do others use and how do we get them? Get your questions answered in here.

Car washing in Winter...

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 07:17 PM

Car washing in Winter...

I was wondering what you guys do that live in the rust belt states. I live in an in apartment and don't have access to a heated garage or anything and I don't want to go to a touch car wash or anything like that. Have any of you used a product called Quick & Easy wash http://www.protectall.com/qelg.htmor http://www.topoftheline.com/optimum-...e-shampoo.html?

With the last max I had, I just went to the self-wash places but I know those aren't the most friendly on paint.

Any ideas or what you guys do in the winter (places where you actually get snow ) would be great. Thanks.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:25 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I wouldnt use either one of those. Scratch scratch scratch.

I live in jersey and I usually wait for a nice day during the winter, and go to the self wash places. I NEVER use there brushes or soap. Bring your own bucket with own wash and sponge. The signes there say not to, but ive never got in trouble for it.

-matt
Old 10-27-2006, 06:04 AM
Banned

I left my car unwashed for like 3 weeks and finally took it to one of those powerwash bays, i soaped it with the brush too even though i normally dont...but im not handwashing when its 40 out.
Old 10-27-2006, 12:40 PM

suck it up and do it in the cold. Safest, and most fun, way! I love freezin my butt off washin the max.
Old 10-27-2006, 01:00 PM

haha man living there must suck. I'm still washing my car in the hot warm sun! sunny california!
Old 10-27-2006, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by A33 VQ30DEK
haha man living there must suck. I'm still washing my car in the hot warm sun! sunny california!

I picked up one of those car wash brushes on a short pole. You still have to wait for a day above freezing but keeping your hands out of the water makes a big difference on a 40 deg day.

I have heard some say the brushes are not good for your paint but I am not as **** as a lot of people here.
Old 10-31-2006, 12:35 PM

I found a good touchless car wash that I use in the winter months. All automatic car washes are not created equal. Some of them barely remove any road grime at all, but I found a place that makes the car look almost like you hand-washed it.
Old 11-01-2006, 01:35 AM

well... 2 layers of rubber glove + a good Burton snowboard jacket + a 3M "rain away" spray + a Columbia pans... u r set to go~~ daz what i do when i used work at the car detailling shop...
Old 11-04-2006, 02:21 PM

I just use my brush attachment. My paint is sratched anyway so I dont worry about the tiny scratches that might occur using the brush. I havnt noticed any extra damage from it either since I bought my car then the brush last winter.
Old 11-04-2006, 06:01 PM

I know I shouldn't say this but...sunny SoCal FTW! =)

But I wouldn't recommand using that =\
Old 11-16-2006, 11:51 AM

I use Quick & Easy wash with great results, the key is to let the product work, don't scrub, the weight of the mitt is all you need. Do a search for it.
Old 11-20-2006, 10:15 AM

I go to a touchless carwash. I've found though that not all of these do the same job, even if it is at the same chain of gas station. I went to a touchless carwash at the Sunoco near where I work last week and my car looked like CRAP when it came out, the paint had a hazy look to it. I went to a Sunoco around the corner from my house yesterday and took my car though its touchless car wash and the results were amazing, almost as if I had hand-washed it !! So it pays to try a few carwashes out to see which one does the best job.
Old 12-15-2006, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Anachronism

I have heard some say the brushes are not good for your paint but I am not as **** as a lot of people here.
Salt and mud is worse than a brush IMO.

I like the idea of a touchfree car wash but I don't think it does a good enough job.

I use the coin-operated self-wash bays. I use their brush, what I MUST do though is start of in soap high-pressure spray to wash down the car, wheel wells + wheels and undercarriage, then I high-pressure wash out the foam brush (think of the sand/mud/etc stuck in the brush). Then I switch to foam brush, brush lightly from top down, then switch to rinse.

As a courtesy, I rinse out the brush when I'm done since I'm pretty sure it will pick up some coarse dirt when I hit the wheels and lower undercarriage.

I advise everyone to rinse out the foam brush BEFORE using it.

I also pay a lot of attention to the rear wheel wells, make sure the drain holes in the rear mudflaps are clear and there's no build up inside the wheel well.
Old 12-15-2006, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by pocketrocket
Salt and mud is worse than a brush IMO.

I like the idea of a touchfree car wash but I don't think it does a good enough job.

I use the coin-operated self-wash bays. I use their brush, what I MUST do though is start of in soap high-pressure spray to wash down the car, wheel wells + wheels and undercarriage, then I high-pressure wash out the foam brush (think of the sand/mud/etc stuck in the brush). Then I switch to foam brush, brush lightly from top down, then switch to rinse.

As a courtesy, I rinse out the brush when I'm done since I'm pretty sure it will pick up some coarse dirt when I hit the wheels and lower undercarriage.

I advise everyone to rinse out the foam brush BEFORE using it.

I also pay a lot of attention to the rear wheel wells, make sure the drain holes in the rear mudflaps are clear and there's no build up inside the wheel well.
I always worried about the brushes at the self-wash bays myself and have sprayed them down with the high pressure wands before using them. But I don't think you'll ever get everything out of the brushes after some people use them. My 4th gen looked like a nightmare after one winter of using the brushes at the self-wash bays. But that is just my experience. So, I only rinse at the self-wash bays and wash it later.
Old 12-16-2006, 03:03 AM

Touchless Car-wash by my house does an EXCELLENT job, my car look almsot as if i did it myself, if not better, not to mention the armor-all my whole interior and vacuum everything, rain-x my windows if i want. all for 25 bux, the only thing i'd want to do after a visit to them is to wax it over myself but i need to get a whole new paintjob anyways, my paint doesnt have scratches but my bumper sucks and the clearcoat is going in certain places it seems, not noticable to everyone else, but it is to me, that's enough.
Old 12-16-2006, 05:08 AM
Doctorate in Detailing

I will go the touchless route most of the time when it's below 30 degrees. It will leave a light film of dirt. It's easily removed with a QD when I get home.

The QEW is great, too.
Old 01-07-2007, 12:15 PM

Instead of worrying about keeping your hands out of the cold water why don't you do what I do and go inside fill up the bucket with warm water and wash away?
Old 01-07-2007, 06:10 PM

touchless car washes only for me. I've cetain ones clean better than others too, so there's only a couple I go to.
Old 01-07-2007, 06:49 PM

fill your bucket inside your house with hot water...makes life a lot easier
Old 01-07-2007, 11:22 PM
Black Maxima

Hands nice and toasty.

Old 01-08-2007, 12:16 PM

I washed both of my cars this weekend and it was in the high 30's, low 40's. Aside from wearing warm clothing, I bought a box of these disposable rubber mechanic gloves. They kept my hands dry and therefore much warmer.
Old 01-23-2007, 07:48 PM

I work at a car wash/detail shop so i can wash and detail my car as much as i want--supervisor ftw!

before i had this job, though, i would either take it to a self serve bay or deal with the pain of hand washing in the cold.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:23 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

if you really care about the car, you'll leave it dirty until you can properly wash.

that said, most people have agreed that a touchless, with your own brush or sponge (or preferably wash mitt and bucket) in off peak hours will do a good job.

if you want to read more about quick and easy wash on www.autopia.org

as stated above, if you decide to try it, don't work it hard, let it do the cleaning.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:15 PM
02Meridian

I drive a P.O.S. and I don't wash it from November through March .

Old 02-03-2007, 05:13 PM

just wash it by hand i did my car today and it was 21 degrees out
Old 02-03-2007, 08:07 PM
Pointy Elbows

Originally Posted by papo99
You are insane.
Old 02-03-2007, 11:31 PM

I am fortunate enough to work at a car dealership so I can wash my car whenever I want.

However if I didn't work there, I would power wash my car a few times a week just to blow the salt off it, and only actually wash it when it got close to the 0 mark. Salt is the real killer, have to keep it away!
Old 02-04-2007, 02:08 AM
Doctorate in Detailing

Salt really only does damage when the temps are about 26 degrees and warmer. When it's colder than that (and it is dried and very white) it is inert. Granted all that white looks like azz, but it's not doing damage.

One of the worst things (at least up here in the snow belt) is having a heated garage. Every time you park it, the warmth re-activates the corrosive properties of the salt.
Old 02-04-2007, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by papo99
I washed mine the other day when it was in the high twenties but the water froze on the car while I was rinsing it

Do you you know some secret I don't?
Old 02-04-2007, 08:55 AM

How to wash a car

I work at a Lexus/BMW dealeship. When customers get their car serviced they get a free wash. Believe me, I know how to avoid scratches. I've been the supervisor of our wash bay for 7 years. Here's my advice...

1) If you're working outside and its cold I recommend thermal underwear and sweatshirts instead of bulky jackets. Rubber gloves can be fitted over top of regular gloves if it's really cold. Waterproof shoes are always good.

2) Fill two buckets (one for wheels/one for car) with warm water and car soap. (don't use dish soap).

3) Put a wash mit (DO NOT USE THE BRUSHES, THEY WILL CAUSE SCRATCHING AND SWIRL MARKS OVER TIME) into one bucket.

4) Put a sponge or wheel brush into the other bucket.

5) Spray your wheels off then clean them with the sponge/brush. Spray them again.

6) Thoroughly rinse the car. Spray down into door jams and around moldings (Dirt gets lodged into our side moldings).

7) Take the mitt and wash the car from top to bottom. If you're slow wash one half of the car and rinse, then do the other half so the soap does not dry.

8) After the soap is rinsed off I recommend a product called the california wiper blade, its the fastest way to dry the car and avoid spotting. After the car has been wiped with the blade use a towel to get anything the blade missed. Don't forget to dry the door jams to avoid freezing.

Notes
1) Mitts NOT brushes
2) Car soap NOT dish soap
3) Do NOT let the soap dry
4) Do NOT leave water on the car. This will cause spotting because water droplets act like a magnifying glass for the sun.
Old 02-04-2007, 10:51 AM
Pointy Elbows

Originally Posted by Bluesbrekr
Salt really only does damage when the temps are about 26 degrees and warmer. When it's colder than that (and it is dried and very white) it is inert. Granted all that white looks like azz, but it's not doing damage.

One of the worst things (at least up here in the snow belt) is having a heated garage. Every time you park it, the warmth re-activates the corrosive properties of the salt.
That's right, Tom. That's why it's good to just keep the car parked outside...to minimize the corrosion.
Old 02-04-2007, 11:13 PM

I work for the police department and i just pull inside the impound garage and get my wash on..nice and toasty!!
Old 02-08-2007, 05:58 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

Originally Posted by Domf3
I
2) Car soap NOT dish soap
and the reason for that is?
Old 02-08-2007, 06:35 PM
Pointy Elbows

Originally Posted by xoomer.com
You're kidding me right?

Dish soap has degreasers in it that takes away the oils in your car's finish and removes the wax.
Old 02-08-2007, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by xoomer.com
Dish soap is designed to strip everything off that it is washing, including that layer of wax you applied to your car (you do wax your car right?).

Car wash soap is designed to be aggressive enough to wash surface contaminants off of your car but leave most of your wax on your car.
Old 02-08-2007, 06:50 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

NO joking here. I wash with DOVE dish soap and use spray wax from Eagle One, the one that you spray on when the car is wet and only then wipe the car.

I am not saying you are wrong about what you said, I just wanted to know why.
Old 02-09-2007, 03:34 AM
Doctorate in Detailing

Auto washes also have lubricants that help lift the dirt, minimizing swirl marks. Dish soap doesn't.

Auto wash isn't that expensive so do a favor for your car and use it.
Old 02-09-2007, 07:03 AM
wat

Honestly, I caved in and ended up getting an unlimited pass to a nearby automatic wash. Very limited swirling (which is not a problem, i'll fix that in the spring), and my car is always salt free. I think lately i've gone on a daily basis, or every other day. I went with the best package, so there's always a layer of wax that's applied at each wash. I'd rather be salt free and deal with minor swirling each winter, than let my car rust from the salt and be dirty all the time.
Old 02-09-2007, 07:25 AM

Check this stuff out, guys. I'm planning on getting some shortly...
http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-no-rinse.html

BTW, dish soap =
Old 02-09-2007, 01:11 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

Well, I am glad I found this thread while jaywalking the different sections. I hand wash my car or go to a carwash on 50/50 basis more hand washing in warm months and car wash in the winter.

Now that I know about the difference is there like a good car soap everyone would recommend?

Quick Reply: Car washing in Winter...