6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Window Tinting Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 11:44 AM
I piss on Civics.

Window Tinting Help

Hey guys. I recently purchased an 06 maxima SL with the driver preferred package. It has everything except tinting. I recently got a quote for 30% tint on all my windows for $185 guaranteed. Am I gettting ripped off?

On another note, if any of you are from Jersey or NY, can you suggest any inspection spots to get my tints passed? Thats my only concern right now. Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks guys! :attention
Old 08-08-2006, 12:07 PM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

becarefull with what they put on the windows, our windows are tinted alittle already from factory so by putting a 30% tint on top of that will prob fail at your inspection.

they did my car with 50% and with the factory tint it ended up to be near 35%, so I would ask first.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:09 PM
I piss on Civics.

Originally Posted by Tek-Niq
becarefull with what they put on the windows, our windows are tinted alittle already from factory so by putting a 30% tint on top of that will prob fail at your inspection.

they did my car with 50% and with the factory tint it ended up to be near 35%, so I would ask first.
would you suggest adding only perhaps a 50% tint? I dont wanna be pulled over on every other street corner. and do you know of any inspections spots to clear my tints?
Old 08-08-2006, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by ecksy
would you suggest adding only perhaps a 50% tint? I dont wanna be pulled over on every other street corner. and do you know of any inspections spots to clear my tints?
thats what I needed to do in order to not have any trouble, yes I would suggest it if ya'll have strict rules on tint.

I dunno of any shops that would clear it since you are in a different state.

ask around though, don't get into something you are not sure about.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:38 PM

this is how it looks:

Old 08-08-2006, 12:43 PM

My suggestion is to get the front windows done at 50% and get limo tint in the back. That's what I have on my '04 SE. I've gotten pulled over three times in my previous car when I had my front windows done at 35% and have gotten two tickets. Not worth it in my opinion.

As far as the $185 for all windows, that is a GREAT deal. I've been quoted at around $300 for all windows. Make sure it is a reputable shop, though.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by ecksy
Hey guys. I recently purchased an 06 maxima SL with the driver preferred package. It has everything except tinting. I recently got a quote for 30% tint on all my windows for $185 guaranteed. Am I gettting ripped off?

On another note, if any of you are from Jersey or NY, can you suggest any inspection spots to get my tints passed? Thats my only concern right now. Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks guys! :attention
$185 is a decent price. If you ever pay over $200 for tints, you're probably paying too much.

You will probably have to take your car to a private inspection station to pass. It is illegal to have the front windows tinted. You could also roll your front windows down and hope that they don't check the windows.

I have 20% medium on the rears and 35% light on the fronts. There is a noticable difference between the darkness from the outside of the car. I can't say how it'll look on your car since I have a 5th gen.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by dopestar129
My suggestion is to get the front windows done at 50% and get limo tint in the back. That's what I have on my '04 SE. I've gotten pulled over three times in my previous car when I had my front windows done at 35% and have gotten two tickets. Not worth it in my opinion.

As far as the $185 for all windows, that is a GREAT deal. I've been quoted at around $300 for all windows. Make sure it is a reputable shop, though.
not sure about NJ, but in MA, law now is "all windows" have to be the same all around.

get to know the law where you live, I'm sure NJ is just as strict as MASS.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:02 PM

not sure about NJ, but in MA, law now is "all windows" have to be the same all around.

really? that sucks. In IL you just can't have tint in the front. You could paint your rear windows black if you wanted to though

on mine the contrast is so drastic between the front and rear that cops don't even know that the fronts are tinted. pretty much the fronts just appear "smoked"
Old 08-08-2006, 01:25 PM
I piss on Civics.

jersey is beyond retarded with their laws.. you cant have ANYTHING on the front windows but you can do the back glass as dark as you want... how ugly is that gonna look.. come on NOW.. argh im gonna have to find an inspection spot to clear my tints in nj damnit.. anymore nj people here have any good shops?
Old 08-08-2006, 02:09 PM

hey ecksy..take a drive to chicago. you can get tints done for $140 at east side window tint. been in business since my first car more than 10 years ago!!
Old 08-08-2006, 04:46 PM
I piss on Civics.

Originally Posted by lowpro19s
hey ecksy..take a drive to chicago. you can get tints done for $140 at east side window tint. been in business since my first car more than 10 years ago!!

dawg thanks for the tip but im honestly not really worried about the price right now.. my biggest worry is a. being pulled over a lot and b. finding an inspection spot that will pass me
Old 08-09-2006, 04:05 AM
GrandPa

Maybe this will help you?

http://home.pcisys.net/~bpc/auto_law/tint/
Old 08-09-2006, 04:55 AM
I piss on Civics.

Originally Posted by ramberg

yeah ive found a good deal of places to look up tint laws.. im asking around for a local inspector somewhere.. its been a field day finding one in nj.. ny is easier i suppose
Old 08-09-2006, 07:40 AM

I was quoted 350 for tint on my car. The tint is lifetime garauntee to never peel bubble or blue. its made with some sort of metal. I guess I will continue to shop aound then
Old 08-09-2006, 08:39 AM
I piss on Civics.

Originally Posted by Smooth
I was quoted 350 for tint on my car. The tint is lifetime garauntee to never peel bubble or blue. its made with some sort of metal. I guess I will continue to shop aound then

yeah this tint is from the lumar company or whateva.. its nonmetallic so it wont block cell phone and radio signals.. i guess ill have to try it and see :[
Old 08-09-2006, 08:42 AM
gec

The cost of tint installation varies widely from place to place.... I charge $275 for a 4 door car and use 3m film along with a lifetime guarantee against fading. Also, other places around me charge less, but the quality is also a big factor when it comes to tint. Understand it takes a good 4 hours to do our car properly...thats a half a day of non stop work... I suggest you look at other cars they've done before spending ANY money ---- and as far as getting pulled over --- look into getting a permit for it, then you don't have to worry about it anymore....Kenny

Old 08-09-2006, 08:45 AM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

I did 50 on the sides and 35 on the back. It looks slammin' on my silver max with black interior which adds to the overall darkness....all that in NY
Old 08-09-2006, 08:48 AM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

As far as price goes I've paid 175 for it all. They did a great job and the tint goes all the way to the edge for that original look. I;ve see some sh_tty jobs where the tint is trimmed like 3 mm below the window's edge.

Anyhow for those in NY I've done it at 212motoring in Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, NY. They use SolarGuard brand.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:28 AM

WOW NY has some tight laws here in Worcester Ma we can go 22% by Law
and the back windows you can go dark as you want by law also at Ziebert they will do whatever you want you just have to sign a waver here is my old max at 20% i now owen a 04 MAX that i'm going with 13% i will post some PICS
when it's done

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2055592
Old 08-09-2006, 11:27 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Did you buy the car new? If you did, you should have gotten a 4 year inspection sticker, but I guess you didn't. Why don't you just get the car inspected first, and then tinted? That way you don't have to worry about failing it. It'll be good for 2 years, and you won't have to worry about it until then.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:48 AM
I piss on Civics.

Originally Posted by gec
The cost of tint installation varies widely from place to place.... I charge $275 for a 4 door car and use 3m film along with a lifetime guarantee against fading. Also, other places around me charge less, but the quality is also a big factor when it comes to tint. Understand it takes a good 4 hours to do our car properly...thats a half a day of non stop work... I suggest you look at other cars they've done before spending ANY money ---- and as far as getting pulled over --- look into getting a permit for it, then you don't have to worry about it anymore....Kenny

jeez gec is the man with the answers.. what do you mean by permit? ive never heard of getting a permit for the tint... how would i go about doing that?

oh btw gec.. im gonna try to come up by the end of september to get my lights done.. its been to tempting to do now but i have no time with my busy work schedule
Old 08-09-2006, 11:49 AM
I piss on Civics.

Originally Posted by xoomer.com
I did 50 on the sides and 35 on the back. It looks slammin' on my silver max with black interior which adds to the overall darkness....all that in NY

could you put up pictures of this? id be interested to see what that looks like on your car
Old 08-09-2006, 11:52 AM
I piss on Civics.

argh.

Originally Posted by owais
Did you buy the car new? If you did, you should have gotten a 4 year inspection sticker, but I guess you didn't. Why don't you just get the car inspected first, and then tinted? That way you don't have to worry about failing it. It'll be good for 2 years, and you won't have to worry about it until then.
i did buy it new and i dont have to worry till 2010. should i just do it and get it overwith? i guess i can find a spot to inspect my **** when that time rolls around.. argh!

Old 08-09-2006, 12:10 PM

Yeah, just get it tinted..that's 4 years away. Worry about it then.
Old 08-09-2006, 12:14 PM

Another thing I just thought of was, it's probably easier to remove your front tint, get the car tinted, then just retint the front and then inspected at a state facility for free. It'll probably come out to costing the same amount compared to getting the car inspected at a private facility. And this way, you don't even need to worry about finding a private facility, getting it done illegally even though front tints are illegal in NJ, or having to worry about any other issues that might come up. Just my 2 cents.
Old 08-09-2006, 02:30 PM
I piss on Civics.

Originally Posted by owais
Another thing I just thought of was, it's probably easier to remove your front tint, get the car tinted, then just retint the front and then inspected at a state facility for free. It'll probably come out to costing the same amount compared to getting the car inspected at a private facility. And this way, you don't even need to worry about finding a private facility, getting it done illegally even though front tints are illegal in NJ, or having to worry about any other issues that might come up. Just my 2 cents.
I think I'll just do that. its not a pain to remove the tints right? the only thing thats gonna suck is getting em back on