4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Last Smog chance... how long to reset ECU with battery disconnect?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2005, 03:41 PM

Last Smog chance... how long to reset ECU with battery disconnect?

OK, this is my last chance. Ive been having some tough times smogging the car. Had to buy a used ECU to try to pass, and the darn thing will not "set" enought of its "baseline" settings (as reported by the smog test computer) to let me even take the test.

Ive gone to the test place many times, and now after 600 miles since the last "screwdriver" reset, the ECU is still not ready. I figure should try to totally reset the ECU (power disconnect) and drive it for another 500 miles (doable since I have a 80 mile commute) and see it it will "set" itself.

If not it looks like I have to find another ECU and what I got might be wrong for the car or damaged.

So- how long to leave the battery disconnected to FOR SURE totally reset the ECU?
Anyone got any thoughts on how to get the car to pass smog? Freakin JWT ECU was so sweet until this...

Man! the drama never ends..
Old 07-30-2005, 03:57 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

im having the same problem, plus more.....i failed because i just swapped out my TS ecu for the stock, and went to test it about 20 miles later, so failed the functional test due to the ECU not being ready for testing and the emissions test because my EGR Valve wouldnt open.

i would say leave the battery disconnected for about 10 min. the ECU has a flash memory that doesnt last too long, so it should fully reset within that time limit.
Old 07-30-2005, 04:04 PM

Ive heard that it takes hours not minutes... like over 12 hours.

Heres another thought tho-
Can I re-hook my JWT ecu for a couple days and basically swap back to the "stock" ECU and have it behave as if it was totally reset??
Old 07-30-2005, 04:23 PM

I suppose that would work, the ECU not having power for a few days might make it reset...but not too sure
Old 07-30-2005, 05:16 PM
RaWr!!! ('''_(o_O)_''')

I had the same problems when I tried to smog my car. I had 3 "not readys" comming up when you cant have more than 2. This problem lasted for me for over a year. I reset the ecu and drove and drove and drove but it didnt work. Also took the car to the dealer and they had no idea what was wrong. Eventually the sensors came on and I passed. I have no idea what made then come on, but they did after probably like 5000 miles of driving instead of the normal 500.

This is a problem that occurs quite often and NO ONE knows why it happens or what to do about it. Why do you say this is your last chance? Just get one of those temp operating permits from the DMV and put about 1-2k miles on the car then try again.

edit: DONT keep resetting your ecu, that just sends you back to the beginning. Un hook the battery over night and then start driving, dont reset it again after that.
Old 07-30-2005, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by Vlasic
Eventually the sensors came on...they did after probably like 5000 miles of driving instead of the normal 500.

This is a problem that occurs quite often and NO ONE knows why it happens or what to do about it. Why do you say this is your last chance? Just get one of those temp operating permits from the DMV and put about 1-2k miles on the car then try again.

I already have a temp permit, and it runs out in a month... Im not going to get 5000 miles on it in a month!!!! Its my last chance so to speak because if this does not make it set, Im pretty much not sure what to do... get yet another stock ECU and start the process over again?? (thats total BS..)

Old 07-30-2005, 11:25 PM
RaWr!!! ('''_(o_O)_''')

you can get as many of those temp permits as you want. I think I went through 4 or 5 before I finally got smogged. I know going to the DMV is a pain in the ***, but if you are a AAA member, you can go to their office and wait in line for about 5 minutes.
Old 07-31-2005, 01:00 AM

I was having problems with my altima 99, it had very low pull from 4k. I left the car in the garage for a month. Never started it up. The battery was connected. A month later I started it up and drove it, now it pulls really good. I have been driving like 200+ miles now.

Before I reset the ecu and nothing happened, and no codes.

Looks like not driving the car solved the problem
Old 07-31-2005, 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by Vlasic
you can get as many of those temp permits as you want. I think I went through 4 or 5 before I finally got smogged. I know going to the DMV is a pain in the ***, but if you are a AAA member, you can go to their office and wait in line for about 5 minutes.
so if have AAA, you can go to the DMV and only wait in line for a few minutes? how does that work, because i have western united which is basically AAA.
Old 07-31-2005, 11:04 AM
RaWr!!! ('''_(o_O)_''')

No you dont go to the DMV, you go to the AAA building. I dont know where there is one down in San Jose, but up here in SF, AAA has a building down on Van Ness which has its own DMV inside it. Its basically a DMV for only AAA members, and the lines are always very short. I go there in the middle of the day and only wait in line for about 5 minutes. Its worth it to be a AAA member for just that.

Look up on AAA website for the closest office htey have, and make sure it offers DMV services.
Old 07-31-2005, 02:58 PM

YES!! the local AAA office (which is about a 2 min drive) has a DMV inside....im so glad i know of this now, finally i can stop worrying about expired registration, mine expires in July 2005, and todays the last day...thanks ian
Old 07-31-2005, 06:07 PM

Those monitors kick in under certain conditions. What they are, I do not know, but I went through this as well. I put a lot of miles and 3 monitors kept saying not ready. I finally reset my ECU and drove all over, and one finally kicked in. I made sure to drive on different terrain than usual, like up and down steep hills, and stomping on the gas and brakes here and there. I am not sure if that helped, but I was frustrated. I finally passed with 2 saying they were not ready. I hope I do not ever have to go through this again.