3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

I want to chop an inch off my stick

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2004, 06:05 PM

I want to chop an inch off my stick

"It's too long!" Like myself, I'm sure many of you have heard this very phrase in regards to your 5-spd shifter. I want to hack off an inch or so, but I want to be able to use my new OEM shifter ****. (2003) Is there a way to rethread the stick after you chop some off...without removing the whole shifter?

I know this is an old subject, but what subject on this board isnt?
Old 04-13-2004, 06:15 PM

That's easy...get an automatic

On a more serious note; could you like take an inch out of the middle of your stick? then glue the top back on, that way the top is still threaded.
Old 04-13-2004, 06:30 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

that would have to be some gooooood glue to hold that back on but your on the right track although i would weld it back on
Old 04-13-2004, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by DMad8724
That's easy...get an automatic

On a more serious note; could you like take an inch out of the middle of your stick? then glue the top back on, that way the top is still threaded.

Yeah.. both those ideas would work great... until you wanted to shift..

The glue would make it too flimsy.. you would need to weld it back together if you wanted any strength. Don't they make handtools to thread metal rods, I think its called a die?
Old 04-13-2004, 06:34 PM

We'll depending on how you guys shift, I guess some good glue would work...As my sister said when she was teaching me how to drive a stick, "This is an egg...don't break it"
I guess it'd be kinda funny to be drivin' down the road and your stick snapped in half!

"Don't break it damnit!"
Old 04-13-2004, 06:36 PM

yeah, you can easily do it with a tap and die set. Search google for more info on those, where to get them, how to use them, etc

I'm not exactly sure the threading on it, but I think it's 12x1.25 . Take your shift **** into the hardware store and find a bolt that fits into it smootly to find the correct thread pattern/size
Old 04-13-2004, 06:51 PM

ORRRRR

take the shifter off the car, cut it in the middle, then drill a hole on both sides and find a metal rod (wood dowel would work too), put it in and glue it or whatever. You get the idea.
Old 04-13-2004, 06:52 PM

get a cheap short shifter off ebay that could do the deed with out all the cutting and junk ive seen them for like 35.00 shipped
Old 04-13-2004, 07:16 PM

Glue would definitely be too weak, unless you are a grandma...which I am not.

Do you know the quality of the ebay StS? I'm guessing its junk for 35 smackers.

Craig I'll have to do some google work later on...let ya know what I come up with.
Old 04-13-2004, 07:36 PM
Way out West

Man, haven't you heard of JB Weld?
Old 04-13-2004, 08:32 PM

dude....the title of your post is SHOCKING!
Old 04-13-2004, 08:46 PM

lol chop your stick...

thanks for the idea i have the shifter from my 91 in the garage..time to snip snip and re-attach!
Old 04-13-2004, 09:21 PM

Haha, it got people in here to look at my question...

lophix I should be able to send some scratch on friday....btw do you have a pic of the speakers?
Old 04-13-2004, 10:04 PM

Tap and Die set is the way to go. Not hard to use at all. Most sets come with instructions.
Old 04-13-2004, 10:31 PM

I just whacked mine off boy like bout 2 inchers or so since it didnt really matter cuz i had one of dem deere **** knobby doos that have 4 screws from all sides, but seriously recommend the tap and die idea cuz if these screws ever strip out then ill be screwed. har har
Old 04-13-2004, 10:47 PM

yeah you could buy a shift *** that is held on by set screws. i got one and wacked off my stick. make shure to use some tread lock. i had my *** fly off one day.
Old 04-13-2004, 11:08 PM

You still haven't got the end of youre stick chopped off? I had that done pretty soon after I was born, but I guess your from Iowa.

Anyway, like someone else said, you could cut the stick in half, or close to it and put like a metal rod in there to act as a dowel, I think the shift rod might even be hollow already. JB weld it in there or something, then you could wrap something around it like thin metal and crimp it down with clamps or something. That would make it pretty sturdy. The thread maker thing would be a good option, and ultimately if you choose to cut it welding would be the best thing to do. I know in Iowa they use duct tape for everything, but I wouldn't go that route Iowa boy. Let us know how it turns out!

BTW-I am originally from Cedar Rapids, Iowa so I was just messin with you about the Iowa stuff. What "suburbs" are you from anyway?
Old 04-14-2004, 07:16 AM

If it doesn't thread on tight then try an epoxy, my shift ball has never come loose. Shifting is much better after chopping your stick.
Old 04-14-2004, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by rosamax
but I guess your from Iowa.
rat bastid! haha, no its cool, go ahead and think you are all high and mighty 'or in Ill. I'm rockin' Cedar Falls at the moment, sometimes attending UNI.

The screw in thing sounds good. I'll check the price of the die set and go from there.

I actually do have some duct tape on my car...used it over the sharp edges left from the hole I cut for my CAI

duct tape
Old 04-14-2004, 09:50 AM
I'm needing a caw

Previous owner cut the shifter down and used a momo shifter. It has a screw type tightener so no tap and die needed.
Old 04-14-2004, 01:37 PM

Cutting the middle and welding it would probably be the way to go. I don't think it would be easy to use a die, since the part of the rod with the threads is a smaller diameter than the rest of the rod.
Old 04-14-2004, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by vwink182
"It's too long!" Like myself, I'm sure many of you have heard this very phrase in regards to your 5-spd shifter. I want to hack off an inch or so, but I want to be able to use my new OEM shifter ****. (2003) Is there a way to rethread the stick after you chop some off...without removing the whole shifter?

I know this is an old subject, but what subject on this board isnt?
Hi, I did it, I just unscrewed the OEM leather **** and hack sawed an inch and a half off and used a good epoxy and glued a 5th gen **** on. No problems, not loose or anything, looks better too. A do it yourself way to avoid spending money you don't have.
Good luck
Jeff
Old 10-27-2004, 11:44 PM

I too question how hard it would be to cut new threads into a cut shifter. If anyone has actually DONE this, I'd like to hear it.

The threaded portion (top 3/4") is 13/32" in diameter. The portion just below the threads is 9/16". That's more than 1/8" larger in diameter. Seems to me cutting threads in that thick rod would be extremely difficult. You'd be cutting away a LOT of steel. I have tapped holes before, but have never used a die, so maybe it's easier than I think.
Old 10-28-2004, 12:21 AM

I like my idea the best
Old 10-28-2004, 12:33 AM
OG Maxima.org Member

If one was not remotely familiar with what you guys are talking about, one would think that this thread was about some weird ritualistic circumcision ceremony...
Old 10-28-2004, 12:33 AM

MrGone, drilling holes in the ends of the cut pieces is a job for a masochist, and I question how strong the resulting piece would be. I do think it would probably "work", but I don't know if I would have any confidence in it.

BTW, I found a HowTo for threading a shifter here. Sounds easy enough.
Old 10-28-2004, 12:53 AM
OG Maxima.org Member

Hmmm... it DOES seem pretty straightforward. I mean, is the metal THAT hardened that it would be that much of an issue to rethread it? I think most peoples' thinking is to simply cut off what's there (the old threads) before rethreading it. But this way seems like the way it SHOULD be done...
Old 10-28-2004, 06:40 AM

I suppose that might be the way to go if you dont have access to a welder. I just cut some out of the middle and welded it.
Old 10-28-2004, 07:28 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Here is a strait forward way to do this.

First you cant cut and just rethread because as someone else stated it is a different diameter where you would cut it so here is what you do if you DON'T have a welder.

Go to the hardware store and find some metal sleaving (pipe) that fits just over the shifter. Cut the section of the shifter out that you want to and use JBWeld in the middle of it. Also put JB weld around the shifter and slip the pipe over the cut section and put more JB weld at the top and bottom of the pipe. Be sure to use tape or something to hold the pipe in place so it doesnt move while the JBWeld is curing. Also be sure and follow the directions on the JB weld and grind the areas it will be so it will have a good tooth. Jb weld is some good stuff...heck its whats been holding my door handles on with no cracking for around 2 years (I dropped one of the doors right on the edge right on the handle too...still no cracking).

This should give you a strong enough shifter that you will not have any problems.

Even if you were to weld it I would still use a sleve for more strength.
Old 10-28-2004, 07:40 AM

Actually, I wanted to add a few more inches to my shifter so it feels like I'm shifting an 18-wheeler...
Old 10-28-2004, 07:43 AM
STFU n00b!

I've seen a kid that cut and welded his shifter poorly and it broke on him.. sucker was stranded.. he was lucky he was visiting some people close to my house and they knew I had a welder.. I pulled the shifter out and re-welded it, and he wasn't had problems since... but the first time it was done by an idiot and it obviously wasn't done right.

so unless you know what you're doing with a welder, please don't try this at home.
Old 10-28-2004, 08:08 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
I've seen a kid that cut and welded his shifter poorly and it broke on him.. sucker was stranded.. he was lucky he was visiting some people close to my house and they knew I had a welder.. I pulled the shifter out and re-welded it, and he wasn't had problems since... but the first time it was done by an idiot and it obviously wasn't done right.

so unless you know what you're doing with a welder, please don't try this at home.
i'd say use a TIG welder.
Old 10-28-2004, 08:10 AM

The link I posted earlier specifically mentioned that the diameter of the "rod" can be made progressively smaller by using progressively smaller dies. I don't know how many iterations would be required for the Maxima shifter.

I'm off to Ace Hardware and beyond, to see if I can even find the dies I need to try it.
Old 10-28-2004, 08:39 AM
STFU n00b!

sure, that can be done.. it's just a pain, but it's probably the best way if you don't want to weld. the diameter of the threads is a 12 x 1.25mm if I remember correctly (also stated above), and the shaft is around a 9/16".. there's not much between the two sizes, so it will be difficult to find something in that range. maybe start with a 14mm and then go to a 1/2"-20 die, then the 12mm.. (a 12 x 1.25mm bolt will actually thread into a 1/2-20 nut and will hold a decent amount of torque, so it's obviously not much bigger..

have fun, and good luck. try to find a 13mm die, but I'm not sure if you'll find it at a general hardware store.. they're very rare. I have hard time finding bolts that size even. heck even 14mm are hard to find. they usually go from 12 to 16mm.
Old 10-28-2004, 09:05 AM

you guys are doing it only half right...

cut an inch out of the top, reweld. cut the bottom off and have that inch that was cut out welded back in. voila! short throw shifter.

i'm not sure how much material would be best to cut and reweld but for a true short throw shifter that's how you would do it.
Old 10-28-2004, 09:36 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

And here all the spam e-mails I get are advertising how to lengthen my shifter...

Seriously, though, from the home page of Maxima.org there is a short blurb on Short Throw Shifters and a link that will take you to this page with a little searching:
http://www.customenterprise.com/view.../vts/design004

I also saw another thread recently on this forum where someone had cut 2 inches out of the middle of the shifter and welded it back together. Was within the last week so shouldn't be too hard to find.
Old 10-28-2004, 10:17 AM
STFU n00b!

Originally Posted by mtcookson

cut an inch out of the top, reweld. cut the bottom off and have that inch that was cut out welded back in. voila! short throw shifter.

i'm not sure how much material would be best to cut and reweld but for a true short throw shifter that's how you would do it.

Or you could do it much easier and just move the ball an inch toward the top like I did.
Old 10-28-2004, 12:45 PM

That's what I did - works great! Only trouble is making sure you know what angle you want/need the shifter to be at, and make sure it doesn't move while you're putting your first tack on. Oh....., and you'll have to modify or remove your heat-sheild above the CAT (not recommended imo).

Matt - how'd you simply 'move the ball' up? I would assume you heated the rod then simply slid the ball up and quickly cooled it to reattach it to the rod. Is that right??
Old 10-28-2004, 01:08 PM

at this point, I am ready to:
-Get the Stillen since Diego has been happy with his
-Get a stock shifter
-Get a stock shifter and cut an inch off
Old 10-28-2004, 01:13 PM
STFU n00b!

shvelle, I was actually trying to remove it in order to get a rubber boot off it for a STS I bought.. then I realized they were the same length and only the ball was in a different spot. After fighting with mine for 10 min with some vice grips trying to pull I off, I realized "HEY DUMBASS! JUST STOP THERE AN PUT IT BACK ON!" and I did.. works great.

Quick Reply: I want to chop an inch off my stick