4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Totaled my Max *My situation*

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 10:35 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Totaled my Max *My situation*

At 7:20 a.m.....first day of my senior year in highschool...I rear-end a Blazer and cause an estimated 5K in damage to my 98 max. Soo. Im pretty sure my insurance will total it out.

98 Nissan Maxima with 125,000 miles on it. Good to Excellent condition. It had Weapon R short ram intake, month-old Greddy sp2 exhaust, Tokico struts and springs, and a completely redone system. I have none of the stock parts. Will they try to take my wrecked car AS IS and auction it off with all my parts?... or do i have the right to take them off and sell them myself?

What kind of settlement do you think I will get? Full coverage with State Farm.

Possible future cars if/when they tell me my car is officially totalled.
Another Maxima
Sentra SE-R
Nissan 200, 240, or 300 <<< I really want another Nissan
Mk lV VW Jetta or GTI (20th anev.=Dream Car > ya...rite)
toyota mr2
...? Lookin for a 2 door, 4 cyl, 5 speet, sporty, compact car. other options?
P.S.- I hate (VERY strongly dislike) American cars

R.I.P (the car...not the girlfriend)
Old 08-20-2006, 02:32 AM
VIP Maxima

out of all the stuff u posted, i only liked the maxima, 240 and 300z options

Old 08-20-2006, 04:43 AM
will fly for food

GTI, but im a little biased
Old 08-20-2006, 05:07 AM
jos

After the ins. co. settles with you tell them you may want to buy the car back from them. I did this with a 200sx ser. They got quotes from 3 salvage yards and I matched their highest quote by $1. Cost me $131.
Old 08-20-2006, 05:34 AM
V^___^V

mr2...............
Old 08-20-2006, 05:38 AM
OHHH YEA SCISSOR!!!!

who has the car now? if you do take your **** out. and if he yard does go pay to get it out, take it home, and get your **** out.
Old 08-20-2006, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by jos
After the ins. co. settles with you tell them you may want to buy the car back from them. ...
I would do this especially if you can get your max repaired at a reasonable cost.
Old 08-20-2006, 06:46 AM

sho us pics of the damage
Old 08-20-2006, 07:02 AM

i would but its at my body shop right now. I hit the back left corner of the blazer with my front right bumper/fender. One more foot and i would have missed her... DANGIT. I'll get pics if go get my stuff. Thanks for the imput
Old 08-20-2006, 08:28 AM

Well sell me your dash pieces, I need the radio benzel and screws with that, piece around the shifter. Do you have auto climate control? I need the cover on that cuz I screwed it up trying to paint it. Oh, and right rear window regulator....
Old 08-20-2006, 09:07 AM

wow! You are 47 and just now a senior? Am I the only person who sees something wrong with that?
Old 08-20-2006, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Hexon
wow! You are 47 and just now a senior? Am I the only person who sees something wrong with that?
I also saw that

Sorry for your loss

PS I need some stuff you think you'll part it out cheap to a fellow senior?
Old 08-20-2006, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Hexon
My son and I share an account. I am 47. He is 17. Hey son, get your own account!
Old 08-20-2006, 12:32 PM

My own dad (now 79) was an insurance adjuster for some 35 years, so the answers are right under sonny-boy's nose if he would just ask.
Old 08-20-2006, 12:34 PM

My very first maxima got totaled when I was in high school and I ended up getting another maxima.
Old 08-20-2006, 01:21 PM

This is my son's second accident. Both rear-enders. His insurance rates are going to be brutally high for at least a few years. The more expensive the car, the higher the insurance rates, and they will be high even if he's driving an old Pinto. As a high school student with aspirations for a 4-year college degree, something is going to have to give. College and a nice car are going to be a difficult combination to pull off, given that he doesn't have wealthy parents or a great paying job.

The irony is that this car isn't even his. It's a car he has been allowed to drive, and only because my (now) ex-wife didn't want him driving the full-size Ford van. So *I* got the old van in the divorce, my wife got my 2001 BMW 325Ci, and my then 16 year-old son got the Maxima SE 5-speed to drive. The Maxima that I had put a >$6K sound system into.

I'm just sick that the car got totalled. It was a NICE car. Base SE with ZERO factory options, but it was tight, ran like a top, didn't use any oil, and had some nice performance options (that my son and I installed ourselves) that made it fun and satisfying to drive.

Life really sucks sometimes.
Old 08-20-2006, 01:46 PM

300zx-TT is a nice car, get some good brake pads for those 4 piston calipers so you can stop better

mr2 would be nice but I beleive (big assumption) parts are as readily as other cars and more expensive.

240sx would be cheap, and you can find extra parts in most dumpsters.

I say get a 240, nice light, 5spd, good with gas, half decent power. Or buy back your old car and repair
Old 08-20-2006, 02:04 PM

sux... I'd go for the 240, 300, or the MR2
Old 08-20-2006, 02:23 PM
OHHH YEA SCISSOR!!!!

07 max lol
Old 08-20-2006, 02:44 PM
2k2MaxX

damn sorry to hear that get a 5.5 gen

Old 08-20-2006, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by haysdb
At 7:20 a.m.....first day of my senior year in highschool...I rear-end a Blazer and cause an estimated 5K in damage to my 98 max. Soo. Im pretty sure my insurance will total it out.

98 Nissan Maxima with 125,000 miles on it. Good to Excellent condition. It had Weapon R short ram intake, month-old Greddy sp2 exhaust, Tokico struts and springs, and a completely redone system. I have none of the stock parts. Will they try to take my wrecked car AS IS and auction it off with all my parts?... or do i have the right to take them off and sell them myself?

What kind of settlement do you think I will get? Full coverage with State Farm.

Another Maxima
Sentra SE-R
Nissan 200, 240, or 300 <<< I really want another Nissan
Mk lV VW Jetta or GTI (20th anev.=Dream Car > ya...rite)
toyota mr2

R.I.P (the car...not the girlfriend)
bro I had 8000 dollars in damage done to my max when I was involved in a collision years ago. They didn't total it. They fixed it and it is good as new and now has 110,000 miles and running strong. Your case I'm not sure about. But any way why don't you look at one of the following:

Nissan 350Z

Pontiac Solstice

G35 coupe

Good luck man.
Old 08-20-2006, 03:27 PM

I am pretty sure all of those cars you just listed are out of their price range and he STRONGLY dislikes american cars, so pontiac is out. After owning a blazer and repairing many things and constantly seeing my gas guage go down anywhere I took it (12-13mpg city), I would never again buy an SUV or a Chevy .
Old 08-20-2006, 03:43 PM
Difficult is NOT impossible!

If my Max was totaled the first thing I would look for is a 94-99 Integra... I dont know why but I am in love with those!
Old 08-20-2006, 03:45 PM

there good cars, when done right but everyone and their grand papi has one. If being somewhat on the sleeper/ having something not many have. the integra would be on the opposite end of the spectrum.

But you should be able to find parts on the dollar menu at McDonalds. There everywhere
Old 08-20-2006, 03:49 PM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

Originally Posted by haysdb

no noodz = no care

im just kiddin thats horrible if i was you and had full coverage just take the cash and get yourself an evo or an sti....im thinkin about those as my next endeavor.
Old 08-20-2006, 04:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Sonny-boys account*

how many posts till i can start threads?
Old 08-20-2006, 04:08 PM

^^15........
Old 08-20-2006, 10:51 PM

Insurance is going to be a MAJOR consideration. Anything "high performance" is not going to be an option. No EVO's, no 350Z's, no GTI's. Nothing classified as a "sports car".

That sucks, but that's reality.

That's one reason the Maxima was a good choice. Good 'ol family sedan as far as the insurance company is concerned, and yet still a good mix of fun-to-drive, reasonable gas milege, high reliability, and low maintenance.

I'll throw out a couple that MIGHT be options - VW Golf or Jetta, Mazda 6 or Mazda 3, Acura integra.

Having something "unique" is not high on mom and dad's list of priorities. The only thing preventing sonny-boy's next car from being a Buick is because dad is somewhat of a car nut himself.
Old 08-20-2006, 11:44 PM

i know this sounds really rude, but if he's been in two accidents i would have him lay off driving for awhile. that or i would buy him used car that wouldn't cost so much but have less issue with reliability. what sucks is that anytime you get into an accident whether its your fault or not, your rates are going to sky rocket. case on issue being my mom, she got into 3 accidents, all from ignorant people running red lights and her rates skyrocketed for over 2k or 3k a year. i may be exaggerating a tad bit, but thats insane. all being said i would pick up a honda coupe, stick shift of course, and be done with it. good gas mileage and low maintainence costs.
Old 08-21-2006, 04:35 AM

if insurance and price of the car is a problem why not get a 3rd gen max? there alittle older and its a sedan so that will def make the insurance cheaper and you can get one very cheap(well around here) and then once your insureance starts to drop and you'll prolly have more money then buy yourself a nicer car....

Also you could get a 1st gen blazer but gas is a problem it took about 50 to fill it up and didnt last that longer but insurance is very cheap 1350 for the whole year compared to 1950 for my max....
Old 08-21-2006, 09:44 AM
§č~® f®ČÄk

Walk to school, no more of this rear-ending or he's gonna rear end the wrong person and get rear-ended himself.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:50 AM

2 accidents, eh? I would buy him a chevrolet cavalier, you so dont feel bad when you hit something with it...
Old 08-26-2006, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by scubasteve
who has the car now? if you do take your **** out. and if he yard does go pay to get it out, take it home, and get your **** out.
Is it just me or I have no idea what he's talking about....?

But anyway...about your current situtions right now...
State Farm = 1 badazz insurance company, no worries they'll make you happy hassle free ^^

As for car choices if they do ended up totalling it...
why not look into something like a 95 Lexus ES300? Forget about sports car for the sonny boy, get something that will last him for another quite a while w/o much problems. Acura Integra...I had one of those. Expensive insurance (under my mom's name w/ clean record on State Farm) AND it's gonna get jacked =X.

Your car choices...
Another Maxima - Doable
Sentra SE-R - Sentra is a toy...don't do it
Nissan 200, 240, or 300 <<< I really want another Nissan - no sonny boy, you might get killed if you crash in 1 of these
Mk lV VW Jetta or GTI (20th anev.=Dream Car > ya...rite) - Volkswagon = breakdown on yo azz
toyota mr2 - impractical, small, coupe
Old 08-26-2006, 06:45 PM
on the G coupe bandwagon

I'm glad my parents gave me an old '93 jeep cherokee when I was in high school. I'm sure if I had had the max I would've gotten myself in trouble. Sounds like you should get a beater until you can prove yourself worthy of a better car amigo...

Your wife got the bmw, your son got the max, and you got the van? That's rough, but I'm sure soon enough the Car Gods will smile on you again!
Old 08-26-2006, 07:07 PM

I second that ES300 idea, they are great cars and VERY reliable. And when he first starts driving maybe a auto would have been a better option than a 5-speed just for learning purposes. I've never had a 5 speed but I bet that it would be harder to pay attention to driving safely instead of always shifting. It could be more distracting as opposed to a automatic.
Old 08-26-2006, 07:09 PM
Wild for Width

1986-1992 Volvo 740
Old 08-26-2006, 07:26 PM
What's next!?..

two accidents and only 16? I'd say it's time to use a bicycle for a few years.

When college comes around, maybe a small suv or hatchback type car to haul stuff back and forth to school.
Old 08-26-2006, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Fr33way™
1986-1992 Volvo 740

Yea, people have tried that, but they always end up goin to the dealer for one, and leaving with john voits greeen and wood Chyrsler Lebarron convertable...sucks cause its john voit the orthodontist.

anyways i suggest:
Soemthing big (suv or something)

Or, i def. agree with a 3rd gen, quick but not to quick, good looks (imo) people hauler, and still fun, also spend a few $$ and upgrade the brakes, my I30's brakes suck and i would even consider them dangerous if i didnt always try and be conscious of that fact and keep a long distance between the car ahead of me...Also, im a senior too, congrats on senior year, but what the **** school starts on august 20th?
Old 08-26-2006, 08:19 PM

Also, your a 16 Yo senior? dang
Old 08-27-2006, 08:40 AM

My son will be 18 in 2 weeks.

The manual transmission was not a factor in the accident.

I semi-agree with the ES300 suggestion. It's one of the few automatics I would personally own. But I haven't owned an automatic (car) since 1979, and I have no intention of starting now.

An Acura Integra was on the short list until we checked insurance rates. For whatever reason, an Integra is more expensive to insure (in our case) than a Volkswagen GTI. I guess it comes back to claim history, and the VW has apparently fared better than the Acura.

The NADA value on the Maxima is in the $6K range. The body shop came up with a $6600 repair estimate. State Farm's estimate was exen higher than that because they felt the wiring harness would need to be replaced. It's definitely totaled. It doesn't take much with an 8 year old car with 120K miles.

We are still haggling with State Farm over the extras we had put on the car. Even though it's totalled, they are insisting that if we take off the stainless steel exhaust, we have to put another exhaust on the car. And if we take out the custom radio, we have to put another one in. I don't understand why they can't just deduct the salvage value of those parts from our settlement. We'll set up a 3-way call tomorrow to see if we can make any progress. My name is not on the policy, so my ex-wife will have to be in on the call. My ex and I have had State Farm since we were 18 (~30 years), and they have always treated us fairly, so I assume we will be able to work this out, but they are being surprisingly stubborn over a few hundred dollars in parts. I mean, the total salvage value of the car is $562, and just how much is an 8 year old exhaust and factory radio worth? They aren't paying us anything for the custom parts, so all they can deduct is for the salvage value of the original parts.

Quick Reply: Totaled my Max *My situation*