4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Remove engine hood heat shield?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2001, 10:08 PM

Originally posted by Dave B
Eric-

I've never done the TB bypass because I know it did little to nothing for the Mustangs and F-Bodies. Can you tell a difference between the heat soak before and after the bypass mod. What all needs to be done to perform this? I'm assuming you pull two coolant lines off the TB and bridge them. The only reason the coolant goes thru the TB is to keep the throttle blade from icing in the most extreme climates.

Dave
Yea the difference is negligible. I might undo the bypass just because the idle is a tad different then it was before. I dont like it like this. If I were to do it again I wouldnt go through the pain of trying to F with the hoses.....
Old 08-31-2001, 12:23 AM
Licensed to Spell

Re: Re: Re: Re: Naaa...

Originally posted by deezo
Originally posted by ptatohed

Dude, stop trying to start a fire.

**** I'm not. Sorry you took it as that. Just replying to your post. :)

I read what you wrote and it doesn't prove anything thats why I asked for Dave B to post his numbers so I can look at them. I know Dave has it together and we have conversed in the past so I'll believe it when I see the numbers. I DON'T believe it does anything for performance and I think Dave B did this because of his Pop Charger dragging in the hot engine induced air. He also designed a sheild for the Pop charger to block the hot air.

I have been in the midwest in the summertime. Prove your point on this. I have a temp gauge that says my underhood temps have gone up to 130 degrees by sitting in the sun, on hot days while I am at work (about 9 hours).

**** Your point? That's nothing! Nothing compared to the operating temperature of your engine. Keeping your engine cooler while its running is WAY more important than keeping it cool while parked.

???????? If you are looking for more power, the engine releases more power when its cold. I thought you knew that?

**** Thus my original posting of this whole thread. ?
To keep the engine cooler - while running, not parked. :)

I disagree. I have gone into my trunk and it has been hot as hell in there.

**** Do a test yourself.

So the Greenhouse effect doesn't effect steel enclosures huh?

**** By definition - NO!!! :)

I would like to repeat myself again, the only way to get cooler temperatures under the hood is to open your fenders with more ventilation, run a bigger radiator and run a lower temp thermostat.

**** Or remove your hood heat shield as we have found out thanks to Dave....

Old 08-31-2001, 05:34 AM

Originally posted by ericdwong
Dave you consider the Throttle Body Coolant Bypass? This does not help under the hood temps, but it should decrease the intake charge temperture. When I first did mine, I noticed the idle was alot higher then before. ...
The Fast Idle Cam is operated by a Thermo-element mounted on the bottom of the Throttle Body. When you do the TB bypass mod, you are disabling the FIC. This is a silly mod except for a true race car, a car which is used only for racing.