5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Aside from the engine, is there any other routine maint. we can perform to our Max?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2005, 02:36 PM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Aside from the engine, is there any other routine maint. we can perform to our Max?

Well, aside from my super-**** maint. regimen, I was wondering if there was any other type of joints/bearings we need to grease/inspect to keep our Maxes running like new. Anyone know?
Old 11-03-2005, 02:45 PM

I've got a 4th Gen so I don't know how much help I can be.

I would be inclined, prior to winter, to inspect all the stuff that is normally inspected at 60K or whenever the major servicing is done for a 5th Gen, eg. suspension, steering, exhaust, belts, hoses, CV boots.

You might want to lubricate the door hinges and determine when all the fluids were last changed, eg. power steering fluid, brake fluid bleeding, transmission drain and fill or flush, transaxle gear oil if manual, clutch fluid if manual, flush coolant if necessary, oil change?

If your engine has more than 60K on it, consider an AutoRx treatment (see www.bobistheoilguy.com and www.auto-rx.com).

How is the wheel alignment?

When were the tires last rotated?

Condition of air filter and PCV valve?
Old 11-03-2005, 02:54 PM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Originally Posted by Bobo
power steering fluid
Done.

transmission drain and fill or flush,
Done.

flush coolant if necessary, oil change?
Done, done.

If your engine has more than 60K on it, consider an AutoRx treatment
Done.

How is the wheel alignment?
Good.

When were the tires last rotated?
Every 5k

Condition of air filter and PCV valve?
New, new @ 60,000k

But what I DON'T know anything about is...transaxle gear oil if manual,
clutch fluid if manual.... How would I go about servicing for these fluids?
Old 11-03-2005, 03:20 PM

How many miles on your car? It appears you have more than 60K on the clock and are certainly overdue to replace the transaxle gear oil. Nissan has no recommended change interval.

My Haynes manual recommends replacing the transaxle gear oil every 30K. I had mine replaced at a Mr. Lube in February at 57K. I had experienced no shifting problems whatsoever but the crap that came out was black and I didn't like the viscosity of it. The new gear oil was amber/honey color.

Confimr that your transaxle calls for GL4 gear oil which is what 4th Gens use. Check your owner's manual. It likely calls for 80w90, but 75w90 is fine and is, in fact, better in colder weather. Many .orgers have great difficulty in finding GL4 gear oil. Do not get GL5, if your owners manual speciifies GL4, as it can screw up brass transmission bushings and synchromesh. In a pinch use Redline MT90 synthetic which meets the GL4 requirements. Do not believe any of this BS stores tell you about gear oil meeting both GL4 and GL5 specifications. Many stealerships don't even have GL4 gear oil anymore.

For my money, I would just get Jiffy Lube or the equivalent to do the transaxle fluid change for you. I paid less than the going cost for a standard oil and filter change and can go back and get the level inspected for nothing any time I want.

As for clutch fluid, use Dot 3 brake fluid. You can either use the turkey baster approach a few times over a period of time or bleed it.
Old 11-03-2005, 05:26 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

you should flush the brake and clutch systems every 2 years, at least.

treat all weatherstripping, lube all hinges, slides and latches. change your m/t fluid.
Old 11-03-2005, 07:36 PM

Ok- whats good to lube door hinges, silicone spray? Thats the stuff i used on the power windows to make them slide easier- worked great. Also where can I get Redline MT-90, or the Amsoil 80w-90 oil? I work at autozone and all we have is mobil 1 75W-90 which is GL5, and coastal which says GL5 as well. I guess i have to order it offline?
Old 11-04-2005, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by carsarecool
Ok- whats good to lube door hinges, silicone spray? Thats the stuff i used on the power windows to make them slide easier- worked great. Also where can I get Redline MT-90, or the Amsoil 80w-90 oil? I work at autozone and all we have is mobil 1 75W-90 which is GL5, and coastal which says GL5 as well. I guess i have to order it offline?
White lithium grease on all door hinges and latches. Available at any local parts store.