Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

SAT radio question HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2005, 08:23 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Satellite Radio in '05 Maxima

Interested in getting satellite radio installed on the factory Bose system. Looking for advice/opinions from anyone that has that. Can't decide whether to use the SAT button or get a portable external unit. Pros and cons to both. Interested in any thoughts.
Old 03-15-2005, 08:25 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Mine came turned on. I was told by a few people that it's a trial. I like it because you can use the steering wheel buttons but I would trade it in a second for an MP3 player feature.
Old 03-15-2005, 08:27 PM
SuPeRmOd

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....ghlight=sirius
Old 03-15-2005, 09:13 PM
You gon' pay what you owe

I love my SAT radio. It came with a three month trial when I bought the car and I am renewing. I like the fact that it is integrated into the existing system because I only have to look at one screen and I can use the same buttons for tuning and presets as the regular radio. I have Sirius BTW. The only thing I don't like is the fact that text that is too long to fit across the screen does not auto-scroll. This is a failing with the headunit itself though because CD-Text doesn't auto-scroll either.
Old 03-15-2005, 09:23 PM
SuPeRmOd

yeah, but it's very easy with the SAT to just scroll using the dial. I think auto scroll may be a distraction. I'm extremely pleased with Sirius. I mean it posts sport scores, DJ phone #s, artists, titles, etc.

I fell in love with Maxine all over again.
Old 03-15-2005, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by NismoMax80
yeah, but it's very easy with the SAT to just scroll using the dial. I think auto scroll may be a distraction.
To me, continious scrolling would be a distraction but a single scroll at the begining of the song wouldn't be bad. I do like the fact that you can scroll using the dial. It really helps out for those sports scores. Is there any way to set the display to show the Sat station number, station name, artist, and song title on the screen by default without having to push in the tuning dial?
Old 03-15-2005, 10:07 PM
SuPeRmOd

nope. but i don't mind only hitting it once i turn the car on. atleast it stays on. yeah, a single scroll would be very nice.
Old 03-16-2005, 07:28 AM

I've put an external unit in my previous (now wife's) car, and insisted on getting the Sirius OEM install on the Max. By far the integrated unit is much cleaner! Next time I'm going to correct another mistake I made and get integrated GPS Navigation.
Old 03-16-2005, 09:32 AM
wsu

integrated better.

Originally Posted by Phil75070
I've put an external unit in my previous (now wife's) car, and insisted on getting the Sirius OEM install on the Max. By far the integrated unit is much cleaner! Next time I'm going to correct another mistake I made and get integrated GPS Navigation.
I have been toying with the idea of satellite radio and was leaning toward some aftermarket options due to the in-dash dealership price of about $400.00. Your comment makes me think it might be better just to bite the $400 bullet and have the dealership put one in the dash if I decide to go with satellite radio. Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 03-16-2005, 02:20 PM

That $400 is as much for having it done right as it is for the equipment. With the antenna mounted on the roof, they actually have to cut a notch in the trunk rim to run the wire out then around the rear window. My dealership did a great job. I think it will also add to the value of the car come sell time.
Old 03-16-2005, 03:49 PM

With the antenna mounted on the roof, they actually have to cut a notch in the trunk rim to run the wire out then around the rear window
Kinda silly sounding I guess, but that's why I walked from the free XM install I worked into the deal... Guess I'll have to rely on CD's.
Old 03-26-2005, 05:37 PM

I love mine.. I have the XM built into the car when I bought it. They had it all programmed for me when I picked up the car. I still get caught off guard when the DJ swears on the radio.
Old 03-26-2005, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by kirkster57
I love mine.. I have the XM built into the car when I bought it. They had it all programmed for me when I picked up the car. I still get caught off guard when the DJ swears on the radio.
The guys on Eminem's Sirius station always catch my friends off guard. It's funny to see the look on their faces when their DJs are going off on some caller or another.
Old 03-27-2005, 06:33 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Can't get SAT in Maxima to work

Have an '05 Maxima. Got the XM tuner from Grubbs online and had my local audio shop here install it. Saved a ton of money but for some reason I can't get it to accept the XM signal. I have channels 0, 1 and 247. XM has sent the signal repeatedly but it only gets up to about 28 or so with a few of the traffic/weather stations in the 200's.

Anyone have this problem? Its making me crazy.
Old 03-27-2005, 06:45 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I found the sirius box at my local infiniti dealer and installed it myself with a terk splitter and sirmini antenna. I had a similar problem. Mine wouldn't do anything except flash the radio id on the screen. I read that 9 times out of 10 that if you are having satellite issues that they are antenna related. It almost sounds like the splitter used could be bad. You may be hitting XM's terrestrial repeaters and not the satellite. Try and find another antenna and splitter locally and see if that helps you isolate the problem. I did this and ultimately ended up with bloody knuckles pushing the antenna connector into the splitter before it would work right. If that doesn't fix it, it may be the XM box.

Good luck and let us know what you find out.
Old 03-27-2005, 06:47 AM
Banned

yeah, but it's very easy with the SAT to just scroll using the dial. I think auto scroll may be a distraction. I'm extremely pleased with Sirius. I mean it posts sport scores, DJ phone #s, artists, titles, etc.

I fell in love with Maxine all over again.
My girlfriend calls my maxima maxine...and i hate it!

So Im gonna tell her that name is already taken!
Old 03-27-2005, 06:47 AM

Also, check out the XM user forums. Sirius has siriusbackstage.com and I found great instructions and tips on that site.
Old 04-28-2005, 10:30 AM

SAT radio question HELP!!!

Have an 04 Max great car....On the radio it has a SAT button..How do we go about getting XM radio ?I have a portable unit for my other cars, but was wondering if the factory radio is set up for xm or other sat radio Thanks..
Old 04-28-2005, 10:43 AM

http://www.grubbsperformance.com/Mer...de=MaximaAudio
Old 04-28-2005, 12:23 PM
SuPeRmOd

first off Sirius is way better....

your dealer would tell you if you bought SAT. otherwise you need to be prewired. labeled inside door. all you need is the tuner w/ splitter sold above and an antenna. and of course activate it by paying Sirius or i suppose XM.
Old 04-28-2005, 02:26 PM

your dealer would tell you if you bought SAT. otherwise you need to be prewired. labeled inside door. all you need is the tuner w/ splitter sold above and an antenna. and of course activate it by paying Sirius or i suppose XM.
First off......Sirius and XM preference is a matter of choice.

I like my XM.

No hard feelings Nismo.
Old 04-28-2005, 02:45 PM

Hey Nismo, when you press the AUDIO **** while SAT radio is on, can you see more than 10 characters in the song title/artist name? Unforutnatey, with XM I can only see the first 10... I hope the Sirius tuner would display more.
Old 04-28-2005, 04:17 PM
SuPeRmOd

Sirius displays the first 14 characters. I usually just hit Audio once to display all the info. Then if the title or artist is more than 14 you can scroll. I just checked when it is set to Song Title, it also shows the first 14 characters in large print.

All I know is that I plan to own this car more than 3 years (loan is 5)...actually to own way beyond 10 if not 20. With my lifetime subscrption, after 3 years my Sirius is FREE. I'm always listening to the online streaming music which is included.
Old 04-28-2005, 05:17 PM

Sirius displays the first 14 characters. I usually just hit Audio once to display all the info. Then if the title or artist is more than 14 you can scroll. I just checked when it is set to Song Title, it also shows the first 14 characters in large print.

All I know is that I plan to own this car more than 3 years (loan is 5)...actually to own way beyond 10 if not 20. With my lifetime subscrption, after 3 years my Sirius is FREE. I'm always listening to the online streaming music which is included.
Cool. I don't have a lifttime XM sub, but I got the $60/year deal last month (basically half-price). How do you scroll the song title while it is being displayed in the small text (one push of the audio ****)? I wonder if the XM tuner will do this too?

Thanks!
Old 04-28-2005, 06:02 PM
SuPeRmOd

use the same **** to scroll. but it only scrolls while displaying all info. otherwise it changes to the next station. works just like CDs w/ text. but SAT adds the "all info" option which is great.

If I remember, I'll see if "title only" doesn't fit whether the **** will scroll or change stations. When I quick checked the title was 14 characters fitting perfectly and it changed stations in that mode.
Old 04-28-2005, 06:09 PM

XM has online streaming as well......again, boils down to personal taste. The stock Sat display sucks as well as far as the display and options.....and price. Just my 2 cents. Without the scroll....XM....Sirius....they still suck as far as what the stock overpriced Nissan sat unit can do. Again, just my 2 cents.
Old 04-28-2005, 06:58 PM

Can I go to best buy and have them install the parts to my factory sat?
Old 04-28-2005, 07:15 PM

No, you cannot. If you decide to go with the factory setup which IMO is too pricey for the lack of features and other than just keeping your interior looking stock. You would be better off going to BestBuy and having them install a Delphi XM or one of the Sirius units whichever you decide to go with but have them install a wired FM modulator in which you will need a Nissan antenna adapter as well. You will not be pleased with the wireless FM modulator that comes with either the XM Roady or SkiFi2. My Girlfriend had a Roady and I had SkiFi2 and we both tried wireless modulation and neither of us could stand it. I would only tolerate it long enough for my PAC AAI-NIS input adapter to be shipped to me. That's another route to go as well. If you want to go that route which will give you two sets of line level RCA imputs then login to hpdistributinginc.com and order a PAC AAI-NIS. THen you could have XM and an iPod input into your stock HU.
Old 04-28-2005, 08:01 PM

I think my dealer told me with everything installed for the XM is like 4OO SOME odd dollars.. That is rediculous. I only paid around 270 for the aftermarket one I had installed in my Jetta.
Old 04-28-2005, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by JPBOSS
No, you cannot. If you decide to go with the factory setup which IMO is too pricey for the lack of features and other than just keeping your interior looking stock. You would be better off going to BestBuy and having them install a Delphi XM or one of the Sirius units whichever you decide to go with but have them install a wired FM modulator in which you will need a Nissan antenna adapter as well. You will not be pleased with the wireless FM modulator that comes with either the XM Roady or SkiFi2. My Girlfriend had a Roady and I had SkiFi2 and we both tried wireless modulation and neither of us could stand it. I would only tolerate it long enough for my PAC AAI-NIS input adapter to be shipped to me. That's another route to go as well. If you want to go that route which will give you two sets of line level RCA imputs then login to hpdistributinginc.com and order a PAC AAI-NIS. THen you could have XM and an iPod input into your stock HU.
Please tell me more about hooking up sirius without the wireless fm modulator
Old 04-28-2005, 08:49 PM
SuPeRmOd

it is incredibly simple to install the factory unit.
1. mount unit under rear deck w/ 2 screws
2. plug in wire harness already there.
3. plug in splitter and antenna
4. mount antenna

I placed my antenna on the rear deck like others. you may want help installing it on the roof if you prefer. There is nothing else to it.

carcus:
Online streaming is FREE with Sirius.
XM has a lot of fees for all the extras included with Sirius. So since XM just bumped up their price to match Sirius, if you want all the features it now costs more.

for me having the SAT integrated into my display, controls, and presets with absolutely no wires is far more valuable than saving $100. I installed the Sportster in my friends Escape. Works well and portability is nice, but it has to attach somewhere and there are wires: for power and tape adapter. FM modulator never got clear: always static (atleast in my area).

So if you desire the removable set and can hide the wires go for it. I love the stock setup.
Old 04-28-2005, 09:17 PM

use the same **** to scroll. but it only scrolls while displaying all info. otherwise it changes to the next station. works just like CDs w/ text. but SAT adds the "all info" option which is great.

If I remember, I'll see if "title only" doesn't fit whether the **** will scroll or change stations. When I quick checked the title was 14 characters fitting perfectly and it changed stations in that mode.
I just confirmed that the XM tuner won't scroll... too bad.
Old 04-29-2005, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by maseo77
Please tell me more about hooking up sirius without the wireless fm modulator
See the AAI-NIS on this page http://www.pac-audio.com/products/aai.htm
Old 04-29-2005, 09:41 AM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by Monotaur
I just confirmed that the XM tuner won't scroll... too bad.
Sirius Title Only display, it shows 14 large charaters and does not scroll. but if you hit Audio once, it displays all the info up 14 and you can scroll with the same ****.

If you dislike the FM modulator, you can get a cassette adapter anywhere, or wire it into the stock RCAs with the above mentioned adapter also found in the Sticky.
Old 04-29-2005, 11:30 PM

FYI for you guys - the Sirius lifetime subscription is for the lifetime of the unit (not yours). If the unit fails under warranty, then they will switch the subscription over to the replacement unit with a letter from manufacturer. Most of the warranties are only a year.

I bought a Kenwood home unit and purchased the lifetime subscription for it.... it has some problem where the display gets messed up and it needs to be reset. I keep hoping that I make it the 3 years with the unit so I at least get my money out of the lifetime. My second unit was a plug and play.... it failed completely after 3 months... that's when I found out about the difficulty in switching over unused subscription time. I think they will do it for the monthly or annual ones, but not for the lifetime subscriptions if out of warranty.

I'd advise anyone considering a lifetime subscription to call and ask about the details of the lifetime plan first.... don't do it over the internet like I did - they don't tell you the rules there.
Old 04-30-2005, 09:36 AM
SuPeRmOd

I did contact them. as long as it has warranty left, they will transfer. This is my other reason for going stock setup. It is less prone to damage always staying hid away in the car.
Old 04-30-2005, 12:40 PM

Okay guys I'm confused. If I go to my local Best Buy and get the XM unit, which model is best for being installed in a 2005 Max. Also, where will they install it and will the stations and display be displayed by my Bose system. A friend of mine had one installed in his Toy 4 Runner and they mounted in his Sunglass holder. Just a note, being 57, the XM channels are more to my taste than the Sirius channels.
Old 04-30-2005, 12:50 PM
SuPeRmOd

you either get your Max from the factory w/ SAT or from the dealer for OEM SAT equipment made by Clarion. This is only sold through Nissan by the dealers as aftermarket. I bought my Sirius tuner used off an 05 owner here. the splitter was broken, so I got one from best buy and the mini antenna from Crutchfield via Amazon.

If in stock, you can get all 3 pieces from a dealer. the Grubbs link above is the cheapest. install is simple like i noted.

you other option is a portable unit found on Sirius or I assume also XM websites. These are also sold in stores. installation is simple unless you can't manage hiding the wires. Installation anywhere will rip you off compared to how easy it is to do.

Only way to get it on your screen and use the Maxima controls is oem unit from Nissan.

with the non-oem, you can use the FM modulator (easy, just pick a station but may have static), oe a tape adapter (easy but and extra wire), or finally get RCA cables to connect somewhere inside your dash (hard and extensive) And you need to mount the equipment somewhere.

if you must get it installed, I would go to a car audio store. my dealer charges highest possible labor fees.
Old 04-30-2005, 01:17 PM

Nismo,

Can my dealer install the XM unit so it will work as stock with my Bose system? Any idea if the cost is the same as the $400 factory unit? Don't mind the 400 if it all looks like it was factory installed and uses the current Bose display. Yes, it's about $200 more than it's worth, but I really want it to work with my current display not like my buddy who wound up with it in his sunglass holder.
Old 04-30-2005, 04:59 PM
GrandPa

Originally Posted by jinsatx
Nismo,

Can my dealer install the XM unit so it will work as stock with my Bose system? Any idea if the cost is the same as the $400 factory unit? Don't mind the 400 if it all looks like it was factory installed and uses the current Bose display. Yes, it's about $200 more than it's worth, but I really want it to work with my current display not like my buddy who wound up with it in his sunglass holder.
Yes you can. I had my installed at the dealer for 350 dollars and they did a great job. Later Warren

Quick Reply: SAT radio question HELP!!!