Members Rides Post Pictures of your car here. No Maxima? No problem.

Kidgrave's attempt at a progress thread. :)

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 10:49 PM

Kidgrave's attempt at a progress thread. :)

Alright guys, so a fellow member brought this up to my attention and it got me thinking about it. So now here I am and the following will be an attempt at trying to make a thread dedicated to the progress of my current 4th gen. I guess i'll also be including some what i can dig up from my first car and previous 4th gen as well. I will be sure to include many of the pix that i have from when I first bought my current 4th gen and the progress i've come to make along with it (parts, performance, etc.).

I would also like...actually I would REALLY APPRECIATE any and all feedback, advice, and any ideas that anyone can possibly provide or bring to my attention.

So without further ado, let me begin.

UPDATE AS OF 7/26/13

EXTERIOR
  • 8000K HID kit
  • CF Hood
  • 350z 35th Anniversary 18'' Wheels 8.0 front and 8.5 rear coated black.
  • Toyo Proxes 4 225/40/18 in front
  • Pirelli P6 All-Season 245/40/18 in rear
  • Removed rear spoiler
  • Custom Side Markers
  • David L Red/Clear Tails
  • 97-99 OEM Style AE'd Headlights
  • AE'd Rare Corners
  • Clear/black housing corner/turn signal lights
  • 95-96 Fog lights w/retrofitted Lexus fog light capsules
  • Window spoiler/Rain guards
  • Rear window spoiler
  • 4th Gen Mud Guards
  • eBay Trunk Lip Spoiler

INTERIOR/LIGHTING
  • LED Door lights
  • Ghetto rigged dome LED lights (thanks Andrew/twentyeggs)
  • Pioneer 6.1'' Double Din
  • Kenwood 6'' Speakers
  • Crunch 800 WATT Amp
  • 1 12'' Kicker CVR Sub
  • Optima Red Top Battery
  • SE Gauge Cluster w/ Red LEDs
  • NRG Black Hub
  • NRG Quick Release 2.0
  • MOMO Steering Wheel

PERFORMANCE/SUSPENSION, ETC.
  • OBX V2 Headers
  • GReddy Sp2 Catback exhaust w/full straight pipe
  • Custom CAI
  • 1996 JWT ECU for 5-speed
  • NGK Irridium IX spark plugs
  • MEVI w/ 7200RPM extended Rev Limiter
  • Apex'i VAFC2 as RPM switch
  • Zeitronix ZT-2 Wideband
  • NWP Thermal Intake Spacers
  • NWP Throttle Body Spacer
  • Port & Polished Throttle Body
  • 5-speed VLSD Transmission
  • Fidanza 12Lb. Lightweight Flywheel
  • Exedy Stage 1 Clutch
  • Stainless Steel Clutch Line
  • NWP Torque End Link
  • Energy Suspension Motor Mounts
  • eBay Generic Front Strut Bar
  • Paradox Rear Strut Tower Bar
  • Progress Technologies Rear Sway Bar
  • K-Sport Kontrol Pro Coilovers
  • 88 Rotors Drilled/Slotted Rotors

That is all that I can honestly remember at the moment, but I will try my best to keep updating my Mod List as often as possible.

Last edited by kidgrave; 07-26-2013 at 03:45 PM.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:51 PM

Was going to say something but never mind. Carry on.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Metallica
Was going to say something but never mind. Carry on.
say what? dude, if your not going to say anything i'm reporting you for spamming...got an opinion, just say it dude...idc...just dont go posting dumb **** on my profile, i'm actually trying to be serious about this...

Last edited by kidgrave; 04-13-2012 at 11:18 PM.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:57 PM

I've had 2 Maximas now and have been "in the game" since late 08/early 09.

this is my first max...i didnt take too many pix of this one, so i'll post what i have from my first:

well i went through some different wheels, bought some EBay struts and springs that i ended up cutting because i got screwed over.

as you can tell, most of this car was actually stock. I did buy some EBay headers and exhaust, but it never occurred to me to take pix of that stuff back then since i didnt think I would need it.

Well thats pretty much all I have from my past Maxima. The engine bay looked a whole lot cleaner than what i have now, since I've messed with my current Max A WHOLE LOT MORE than what i did to the previous one.

Last edited by kidgrave; 04-13-2012 at 11:02 PM.
Old 04-14-2012, 12:06 AM

To be honest, I really wasnt planning to buy my current 4th gen. I guess you can say it kind of just happened because me and my brother were excessively talking about when he had his Sentra Se-R and the coolness of M/T cars. Out of curiosity, I started looking on Craigslist for a 5spd Max. I came across a few of them to my surprise, since I wouldn't any because of their rarity.

I was initially interested in this black Maxima that was for sale in Burbank, CA. They were asking for 1800 and it was a salvaged 5spd. There were a couple of problems with it since the previous owner had not used it for about a year or so. I was impressed by it since it had leather and power everything, but never went to check it out...Mainly because i was advised that salvaged cars are mostly bad...

When I first saw my current 4th gen on Cragslist, I had recently gotten a decent amount of money from my financial aid. It was very spontaneous, about a week of seeing it and constantly contacting the previous seller about it, I decided to to and pick it up.

This picture was taken the exact same day i went to buy this:

1996 Nissan Maxima SE. 170xxx original miles. 5 speed manual transmission, moonroof and fogs. Clean title.Previous owner had a Flowmaster exhaust tip on stock piping, ghetto rigged SRI, and cut stock springs on stock shocks. Claimed the motor was rebuilt, but never made sure.

always ROFLed at the GTR in the front...the guy had an obsession with wanting to fully convert it to a skyline. lol

Exactly how the engine bay looked like, minus the strut bar. That came at a later time.

Last edited by kidgrave; 04-14-2012 at 01:35 AM.
Old 04-14-2012, 12:43 AM

Looks good with the white rims!! Definitely makes both colors stand out, they kinda work together
Old 04-14-2012, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by renots
Looks good with the white rims!! Definitely makes both colors stand out, they kinda work together
i did like it myself too...and i was debating paiting my 350z wheels white, but idk how i would pull it off with CF hood, trunk, etc...
Old 04-14-2012, 01:41 AM

i would have to say my first mods were putting on some HID headlights and Lexus capsules on the the fogs as shown here:

Lexus capsules:

HIDs and regular fogs:

HIDs and Lexus caps:

As far as the Lexus capsules go, I guess you can call them retrofitted. Some guy i was in contact with at that time sold them to me that way. He was supposed to bake my fogs open to try and fit those in there, but couldnt because of my fog light was too old so it started cracking from the edges. I think thats how he explained it to me.
Old 04-14-2012, 01:52 AM

From what i remember, around that time my clutch had also given out. Since this Maxima was my first M/T car and I was basically teaching myself how to drive teh stick shift, it was natural for me to ride the clutch. This of course, came with consequences that taught me a lesson. But out of this, I bought this baby:

All of these items were purchased from the same guy from which I bought my Lexus caps from as well. He was also in the Maxima game and owned a 5th gen. Now I'm not going to go into too many details about who the guy is, since he pretty much ****ed me over with some fake parts in the end. I did learn a few things from this guy, but mainly not to easily trust anyone that seems to know something because they can take advantage of that.
Old 04-14-2012, 02:21 AM

I actually met the guy through cragslist since i was originally selling my first 4th gen after i bought my current one. He pretty much asked why i was selling and i explained. After that, he went on to tell me that he was a parts distributor and that he could hook me up with parts and labor for cheap. As he was the second other person i knew that was into modding Maximas, so from talking to him I came to trust him alot.

He sold me the HID lights i currently have on my car, which is probably the only parts that actually have lasted me this long without needing to be fixed.

He ghetto wired my fogs, which had to be rewired since they kept going out. Also he was the person "retro'd" my fogs with the Lexus capsules, which i bought from him like 60 bux. Later on, finding out i could have gotten them for like 20 bux from a jy.

The clutch i also bought from him for like about $250. I'm not sure what the original pricing was, but I think i could have gotten it for a cheaper price elsewhere...dunno though.

He also agreed to help me sell my Maxima. he helped me post it on Craigslist to get offers for it and all but no luck. Firstly, he went on to offer me $800 for my 4th gen, but claiming he would pay me in a few months. From then on, he proposed that he took it to his dad in Temecula, where after a few days of having the car there, he would guarantee it would be sold by then. It was from then on that i started doubting him. I found it weird that someone would ask to take my car for a few days and have it sold. After i denied to do that, he also started asking me to give him a part of what i would make from it since he was "helping me out so much." From then on, I didnt contact him for help with anything so much. After a few weeks, i finally managed to sell the car on craigslist. He messaged me after i had sold the car and i lied and told him my mom had given me some cash in agreement that i would keep it and let her use it. From then on, i told him that i was looking for some lowering springs and some shocks. He said he had a friend at Megan Racing who would hook me up with some springs for cheap. I bought the shocks from him for $100. After I mounted them, i noticed the ride height was pretty much back at stock. After many hours of trying to find out what the issue is and actually contacting Megan Racing themselves, i found out that those springs were actually stock springs painted orange with a Megan Racing decal thrown on them and into a box. I called him back to complain and ask for my money back, but he stopped answering calls and text messages. In between all these events, i had actually loaned him some money so that he could buy himself a CF hood, since he was supposed to buy it with someone else at the time. I do believe it could have been a fellow SoCal Maxima member, since at the time they were starting with the monthly meets. Anyways, after a week of not texting him, I had to get in contact with him through another number to finally get my money that he owed me back, but never saw the money for the springs again.

Sorry for the detour, just thought i'd give some details in regards to that part. Wouldn't a fellow member to come across him or other people like that. Just giving a heads up.
Will continue tomorrow/later today. Goodnight.
Old 04-14-2012, 02:09 PM

Continuing from there, there's lots of mod that I've dont since i bought the car. At the same time, my Maxima did go through many phases with wheels. Also, since i ended up keeping thoser faked Megan springs, i experimented a bit with those as well. Grinded them down to lower , which was not a good idea at all...well it was in theory if done right...but even then that had its problems. lol

Eventually after that i came to pick up some Tein S-Techs and used them for a while with the same KYB GR2 struts i had. Also, did some small custom lighting and changed the head and tail lights.

Here are some pix i had in the meantime while i did that:

this is after i got the fogs fixed

before i cut my springs, i was riding on some kitana wheels...personally my favorite design...but one of the wheels was bad.

went to try some different wheels to mess around with for a while...

tenzo wheels on cut springs.

also tried a few other different wheels as well...

Old 04-14-2012, 02:19 PM

Honestly, i believe i would have kept those Kitana Racing wheels, but then this is what happened to them.

Personally, i love these wheels and I would have kept them. i like the 5 spoke look on the Maxima. Plus, these wheels came with a lip.
But i guess i didnt notice this when i bought them from the previous owner and it turned out that the inside part of that spoke had previously broken and had to be welded back together...another lesson learned from this...
Old 04-14-2012, 02:23 PM

looking good Manny
Old 04-14-2012, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by tigersharkdude
looking good Manny
thanks sir...out of your opinion...and looking at my most recent pix...what wheels would you have prefered? lol
Old 04-14-2012, 02:29 PM

As far as visual things go...this is how it looks now:

got some 350z anniversary wheels, CF hood, clear/red taillights, 97-99 headlights, JDM style side markers, rear spoiler, window spoilers, dropped on Tein Basic Coilovers.
Old 04-14-2012, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by kidgrave
thanks sir...out of your opinion...and looking at my most recent pix...what wheels would you have prefered? lol
6 spoke tenzo wheels or the 350z AE wheels
Old 04-14-2012, 02:42 PM

Clear/Red Tails. This is the day i decided to take my car to get washed...unfortunately, it was too low to go into the machine so they had to hand wash it.

and my 97-99 headlights n corners fresh out of the box:

AND during install:

You can kind of tell the difference from the 95-96 and the 97-99 headlights as far as that goes. Also, those are TYC headlights and corners i managed to get brand new for $80 shipped.
Old 04-14-2012, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by tigersharkdude
6 spoke tenzo wheels or the 350z AE wheels
yes i do agree with you...thought those kitana wheels were also one of my favorites.
Old 04-14-2012, 04:47 PM

As far as performance and suspension goes, there have been a few things here and there that i've bought. I do have my Megan Catback Exhaust:

OBX v2 Equal Length headers (purchsed from J2FRESH):

cant really see the equal length part here so well because its in the box. will try to get some pix of them in the car later.
As far as the headers go, i had all of my sensors removed since i went straight pipe. I'm not sure if that was necessary of me to do that, but I think I will have to place them back on in order for me to be able to adjust the air/fuel correctly when i decide to tune. Can someone please provide me with info or a link to the answer. thanks.

Also, i purchased a 96 NWP ECU from Me[kk]a a few months back and a SS clutch line from another member.

this is my n00b video of the JWT ECU 7200RPM redline.

Last edited by kidgrave; 04-14-2012 at 10:22 PM.
Old 04-14-2012, 06:14 PM

nice progress man!
Old 04-14-2012, 07:22 PM

I like, just don't care much for h GTR badge.... also grab a front lip n its set for me man
Old 04-14-2012, 07:50 PM

Oh yeah that's what's up Manny keep it up...is that flywheel the 12pound one..?
Old 04-14-2012, 07:51 PM

thanks for the support guys. i have some big final plans for this car that i want to complete by the end of the year. i'll enjoy all that, then FI that sucker...debating on turbo or SC. idk what to go with yet...might build a fresh VQ for turbo.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by graff_hip_hop
Oh yeah that's what's up Manny keep it up...is that flywheel the 12pound one..?
i believe it is...will be mounting that when i get my AE vLSD tranny shipped. sucks i'm paying that sucker in payments and i really appreciate the buyer for working with me on that, but i sure as hell cant wait!
Old 04-14-2012, 09:01 PM

thanks for the support guys. i have some big final plans for this car that i want to complete by the end of the year. i'll enjoy all that, then FI that sucker...debating on turbo or SC. idk what to go with yet...might build a fresh VQ for turbo.
S/C gets my vote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:22 PM

UPDATING WITH PIX!!!
Pix of my engine bay where you can see my NWP Torque End Link (left side on the picture), custom SRI (right side. will be converting to CAI), Generic EBay Front Strut Tower Bar:

ES Motor Mounts and the OBX Headers:

Progress RSB:

Paradox RSTB along with my amp n sub. :

and Tein Basic Coilovers (yet to upload pix).

I will also be posting pictures of other parts that are yet to be installed into my Max like my MEVI:

and Fidanza Flywheel:

Old 04-15-2012, 07:28 AM

not a fan of the window guards, but thats just me. I do however like the general flow of the car especially with the rims. now install the mevi
Old 04-15-2012, 10:02 AM
Banned

she gets prettier by the day bruh keep it up
Old 04-15-2012, 10:37 AM

i think i like where this is going..keep it up..the 350z AE wheels look great on it
Old 04-15-2012, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Product_Of_Korea
not a fan of the window guards, but thats just me. I do however like the general flow of the car especially with the rims. now install the mevi
MEVIs comin...just need to buy the NWP spacers and i'm set.

Originally Posted by J2FRESH
she gets prettier by the day bruh keep it up
thanks josh. appreciate it. finish ur swap already dammit!!!!

Originally Posted by phatboislim
i think i like where this is going..keep it up..the 350z AE wheels look great on it
honestly, i loved and have wanted those AE wheels since i first bought my first 4th gen. what sucked at the time is that back in 08, everywhere i would look, they would sell those same AE wheels for almost 1k, so i waited...but now i have them and i couldnt be any happier.
Old 04-15-2012, 01:05 PM
Got Retrofit?

Keep up the good work ya gay freak.
Old 04-15-2012, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisMan287
Keep up the good work ya gay freak.
thanks alot freak nasty (as nicknamed by nikky). ahahahaha!!!!

Last edited by kidgrave; 04-15-2012 at 01:24 PM.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:38 PM

Looking Good....
Old 04-17-2012, 02:50 PM

Since yesterday and today i've had days off, I'm debating on whether to post up my official mod list and what not as a progress thread should keep up to date. I will do this later today. and also post my future plans for the Max itself.
Old 04-21-2012, 12:15 PM

Update time!!! Just got in my SE Cluster, CAI conversion kit, and since my battery gave out i went and bought my Optima Red Top battery.

Here are pix!!!

Will be putting some SUPER BRIGHT RED leds on this.

Old 04-21-2012, 12:59 PM

dirty, dirty, dirty. , to love the ride is to keep it clean. kinda partial to chrome stockers, but you like what you like.
Old 04-21-2012, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by max ride 41
dirty, dirty, dirty. , to love the ride is to keep it clean. kinda partial to chrome stockers, but you like what you like.
hahaha i do indeed love my ride, but being a fulltime student and working fulltime its hard to do anything as far as that goes. i dont get what you speak of as far as chrome stockers...care to explain? lol
Old 04-22-2012, 01:15 PM

hahaha i do indeed love my ride, but being a fulltime student and working fulltime its hard to do anything as far as that goes. i dont get what you speak of as far as chrome stockers...care to explain? lol
like what i have. they're 03 te wheels Name:  DSC_0166-1.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  159.4 KB
Old 04-22-2012, 01:21 PM
Got Retrofit?

Originally Posted by max ride 41
like what i have. they're 03 te wheels [IMG]http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w72/maxima_42/DSC_0166-1.jpg[IMG]

Manny, you shouldn't have even asked.
Old 04-22-2012, 01:28 PM

Keep it up Manny. Remember, weight reduction. I haven't seen you doing any of that
Be like me, baby face and Java

Originally Posted by ChrisMan287

Manny, you shouldn't have even asked.
Can't blame the poor guy. He falls for everything

Last edited by Shift_A32B; 04-22-2012 at 01:31 PM.

Quick Reply: Kidgrave's attempt at a progress thread. :)