Members Rides Post Pictures of your car here. No Maxima? No problem.

Schmellyfart's 4th gen

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2021, 08:56 AM

Replaced leaky RR RH shock,

Before with 3" y pipe necking down to the stock 2" catback.

Cattman 3" back in its original home.

The cattman leaned me out from 13:1 to 13.6-14:1, so in go the VHR injectors. (Still on stock 95 ECU for now.)

And replaced the cruddy knight_yyz/wrayth timing cover bushing with a modified prothane bushing and 3d printed polycarbonate spacer.

Old 03-28-2021, 09:38 AM

Seeing a 4th gen with no rust and a 3" Cattman in 2021 is pretty wild.
Old 03-28-2021, 11:22 AM

Instead of rust we get to deal with sun damaged paint in the southwest.
Old 03-28-2021, 06:47 PM

That and rubber drying out too right?

Even so, I would take clear failure and dried out bushings over car cancer.
Old 03-30-2021, 10:29 AM

Rubber drying out, plastics, interior trim fading & cracking.

All downsides considered, I'll take all of that over rust.
Old 08-19-2021, 09:16 AM
Lightly modded

All these years and I somehow never knew about this build thread. Shame on me. Your escapades in weight reduction are quite delightful. But it seems like you leave a lot of details out of here and spread them around other threads which makes things harder to keep track of. Post more stuff in here!
Old 08-19-2021, 01:48 PM

Lol

Usually I try to do both, as part of a log in here as well as a separate thread in the relevant section for visibility vs wading through this mess. (Even though hardly anyone visits the org anymore).

Old 11-15-2021, 04:47 PM

Long time no update.
I FINALLY finished making PFTB adapter plates that I've been talking about for years. Super excited that it finally came together.

I'll spare some of the details for a proper FS post, but in short, interchangeable plates dual drilled for usim/mevi/00vi and a separate one for Gen 1 & 2 FWD VQ35DE.

Now I can finally remove the welded junk I had on there before and get my cruise control back - haven't had cc installed since I installed this motor about 6 years ago. Heck, at this rate I may even get around to reinstalling my AC.

Its a little unconventional having the TB rotated 90* to clear the intake manifold, but I'm quite pleased with the end result.

Also installed a LiFePO4 battery I bought on sale a year or two ago, only weighs a couple pounds and was right around $200. Cell overcharge and discharge protection, cell balancing circuit built in with "reset' switch if charge starts to drop too low after sitting for a while. Will see how it holds up in semi daily driver usage.
Pathfinder battery kicked the bucket so it got the Maxima's battery and the Maxima finally got its upgrade. Will make a custom battery box in the future but this will do for now.

Free dyno day coming up at the end of the month, so itll be good to see how this compares with my previous 3.5. (Old shop closed down long ago and I have no idea what type of dyno will be at this event).

Right now its pretty similar setup to my other 3.5 dyno.
  • Stock A32 MAF, hemholtz, and a A35 accordion with same cheapy cone filter.
  • VIAS installed but not activated. According to the FSM this should only affect midrange. Low end and top end, the VIAS is usually closed.
  • Same Alti headers w/ 2.25" to 3" y pipe.
  • Same Cattman 3" catback
  • Stock 95 ECU.
  • VHR injectors & DEK FPR. Original Green injectors ran WAY lean with this setup.

This dyno will be good to see as all the other dynos I've seen of this motor on 3.0 timing were running different cams (3.0 s1's or Rev ups), so it may be the first I know of with stock cams.

Down the road after I wrap up some other projects I'll be testing 80 and 85mm TBs on this motor as well.
Old 11-15-2021, 07:14 PM

The adapter looks good.

What's the plan with the MAF/intake?
Old 11-16-2021, 07:24 AM

Thanks!

Plan is to rent dyno time and see what combo works best between the 3 upper manifolds, vias configuration, maf size (stock, q45, 4" q45), and tb size (70 75 80 and maybe 85).

I could just slap a combo together and run it, but I'll sleep better knowing I have data for each combination and that it is the best setup for me.
Old 11-16-2021, 10:01 AM
Lightly modded

This is awesome, I'm so happy this finally came together! Great job on making them work for different applications. And if you can pull off the dyno day and compare setups it would be a huge contribution to the community.
Old 11-16-2021, 12:02 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Any thoughts on using a window switch to control the variable intake solenoids?
Old 11-16-2021, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by 95maxrider
This is awesome, I'm so happy this finally came together! Great job on making them work for different applications. And if you can pull off the dyno day and compare setups it would be a huge contribution to the community.
Thanks! Me too!
Originally Posted by JSutter
Any thoughts on using a window switch to control the variable intake solenoids?
Ive got an emanage ultimate to take care of that. It will be installed at some point before the dyno session.
Old 11-16-2021, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by schmellyfart
Plan is to rent dyno time and see what combo works best between the 3 upper manifolds, vias configuration, maf size (stock, q45, 4" q45), and tb size (70 75 80 and maybe 85).

I could just slap a combo together and run it, but I'll sleep better knowing I have data for each combination and that it is the best setup for me.
You may already know this but Surratt had some dyno time proving a 4" intake and working VIAS was worth it for a full swap. That data obviously doesn't exist for a 3.0 timing swap. I don't think I confirmed with my trap going to a 4" from a 3.5" intake/MAF was beneficial but I did trap 106 with a 4" intake and an open exhaust.

I think a few of those combos you could probably cross off knowing they won't make more power than others but regardless it'll be cool to see what you end up with.
Old 11-16-2021, 08:09 PM

All I have to say about intake sizing is....

Velocity

Velocity

Velocity.

My Dyno time has proven there is point where the car doesn't gain power anymore at WOT.

But part throttle drivability is king when it comes to driving a car outside of the track.

If you can make nearly the same power with a smaller TB and or intake then do it .

I'd say start big and dial it back peice by peice until you're happy with the losses

It's not worth gaining 2whp to go up to a missile launcher intake.

So if a pathfinder TB and 3" intake makes 98% of the power then that's the way to go
Old 11-16-2021, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by 95naSTA
You may already know this but Surratt had some dyno time proving a 4" intake and working VIAS was worth it for a full swap. That data obviously doesn't exist for a 3.0 timing swap. I don't think I confirmed with my trap going to a 4" from a 3.5" intake/MAF was beneficial but I did trap 106 with a 4" intake and an open exhaust.

I think a few of those combos you could probably cross off knowing they won't make more power than others but regardless it'll be cool to see what you end up with.
How old is that data? I may have seen it but forgotten about it - or they were dynos that I wrote off due to the amount of changes done between each pull.

But yes the main goal was to see how 3.0 timing affects sizing on this engine, if at all. Similar to what kriggs shared on some of his
dynos but more in depth.
Originally Posted by aackshun
All I have to say about intake sizing is....

Velocity

Velocity

Velocity.

My Dyno time has proven there is point where the car doesn't gain power anymore at WOT.

But part throttle drivability is king when it comes to driving a car outside of the track.

If you can make nearly the same power with a smaller TB and or intake then do it .

I'd say start big and dial it back peice by peice until you're happy with the losses

It's not worth gaining 2whp to go up to a missile launcher intake.

So if a pathfinder TB and 3" intake makes 98% of the power then that's the way to go
Funny you say that, I accidentally stumbled upon something similar when I first got this swap running. Originally had redrilled my 75mm mustang tb to use in the swap to match the a35 manifold /original tb size. Swapped out due to some quality issues for the good ol pftb.
Night and day difference between the two - it was much more fun to drive with the smaller throttle.

As you mentioned the dyno doesnt tell the full story, but itll make it a lot easier to pick and choose the few setups to test out streetability.
Old 11-17-2021, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by schmellyfart
How old is that data? I may have seen it but forgotten about it - or they were dynos that I wrote off due to the amount of changes done between each pull.
Its old but the intakes were back to back. The VIAS I remember he gutted it at first then went back and did a test with it working and determined that it was worth it. It's a shame he deleted the initial thread posts.
Old 11-17-2021, 06:48 PM

Its old but the intakes were back to back. The VIAS I remember he gutted it at first then went back and did a test with it working and determined that it was worth it. It's a shame he deleted the initial thread posts.
Oh it was in THAT thread.
Old 12-03-2021, 03:52 PM

Dyno results are in, ended up being a trailer dynojet. Will make a separate dyno thread later.

Ran it in 4th gear to fuel cut on stock ECU which should be 6500 RPM, but only shows 6000 RPM on the dyno sheet. It was only around 105mph so I dont think it was a speed limiter..
Signal dropped out on the second run but still within a few hp of the first pass.

246 hp, 228 ft-lbs.
Seems to be alright for the mods it has: undersized tb, basically stock intake system and 3.0 ecu, alti ebay headers & 3" exhaust.

Old 12-04-2021, 03:16 AM
Lightly modded

That torque dip looks like the one my 1st gen 3.5 has Is that due to the not fully functional VIAS? I'm guessing you're running the PFTB?
Old 12-04-2021, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by 95maxrider
That torque dip looks like the one my 1st gen 3.5 has Is that due to the not fully functional VIAS? I'm guessing you're running the PFTB?
Yes PFTB on an A35 Maxima manifold.

I need to do some more digging but I think its a characteristic of converting to 3.0 timing.
Old 12-04-2021, 08:14 PM

I agree with that probably being about right with the stock MAF.

Any ideas what your A/Fs are for those runs? Any any idea if any ignition timing is being pulled through that dip?
Old 12-05-2021, 07:27 AM

I agree with that probably being about right with the stock MAF.

Any ideas what your A/Fs are for those runs? Any any idea if any ignition timing is being pulled through that dip?
A/F is 11-12:1.
Knock sensor is bypassed.
Currently have a code for EGR since I moved the temp sensor.
Didnt take any data on the dyno pull.

Good point on the ign timing. Ill have to dig through my old EU logs from when I street tuned my previous 3.5, but if I remember correctly I had to add a lot of timing in the midrange near that dip. When I was done the powerband felt much smoother without that surge of torque.

Last edited by schmellyfart; 12-05-2021 at 07:30 AM.