Members Rides Post Pictures of your car here. No Maxima? No problem.

mad tyte Supra

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 05:12 PM

mad tyte Supra

as known, my 3rd gen blew up. all the sudden it would buck in 1st sometimes and rev high and then suddenly kick in, then the engine cooked a bearing and started knocking. lasted to 429,000km on the original engine and GXE auto tranny with no major work. still had original glass all around when they took it away. that thing got so much attention/hate on here and local forums that i loved it

at its prime

then, bought Rays Volk rims, tires, gathered up turbo parts, etc, and suddenly everything blew up. pained me to do so, but got $100 for it this is after the suspension was fully redone last year, all major engine work was done last year, new radiator this year, valve cover gaskets, and a million other things including full mandrel exhaust. had one evening to salvage stuff, so just got the seats, harness bar, grille, and headlights sold the seats/harnesses for nothing, sold the Rays for WAY less than theyre worth, just wanted it all gone

looked for something that ive wanted, RWD. then found this, 1979 MK1 Supra 5spd. one owner in the Province since 1979, and its a January 1979 manufacture date so its the very first North America ever got. guy gave it to his nephew a few years ago and he doesnt want it so i bought it for $2700. has never seen winter, and saw rain 24 times since 1979. 25th was when i drove it home. its basically sat all its life, only has 212,000km on it

only thing was whoever inspected it was a retard, i looked myself on the ground and saw nothing bad (im a mechanic) but when i hoisted it at work, the radiator had some bad cracks, needs a axle seal, and needs a clutch slave. inspector said it only needed struts and tires

so whatever, dealt with it. parts are non-existent for it so the radiator was $300 to re-core, ordered a clutch slave, and doing the slave and axle seal in the next week or so

was going to year-round drive it but it would be a dbag thing to do and i dont think it can handle it so its my summer car, picking up a beater in a couple months.

its got a 4M straight 6, barely any power so im going to pick up a 2JZ-GTE and 5spd trans and swap it out

and yes, the interior smells awesome. the mixing of my JDM Spencer SquashAir freshener with 32 year old leather is

the car is pretty known and has a history, people are shocked that ive got it now i get people almost everyday talk to me about it at red lights

Old 07-17-2011, 05:18 PM

and dont look at me for not getting a RHD one (Celica XX) probably even more non-existent, when i went to insure it they hassled me thinking i bought a RHD one
Old 07-17-2011, 08:13 PM

good luck finding parts for it chromie, hope you know somewhere to get them. not too easy, but i know you'll fix her up and hopefully keep her for a couple years. need moar pics all shined up too!!!!
Old 07-17-2011, 08:49 PM

i keep my cars for a long time, i had my 3rd gen for how long and was going to swap engines, but blowing the engine and tranny at the same time and factoring in its still gonna be a 3000lbs FWD sedan just didnt work

after a 2J swap drivetrain parts are easy to find
Old 07-19-2011, 09:43 AM

Nice MK1 man, I love those things. Check out my MKII.
Old 07-19-2011, 04:38 PM

holy crap those wheels did you need to mod anything to fit that much dish?

replacing the slave cylinder and axle seal Friday so i can drive the thing again lol

new shifter, yes its got a rose in the bottom
Old 07-19-2011, 11:31 PM

No mods at all. I jsut redrilled them and got lucky with the fitment. The only thing, to get them to fit being that low in the front was Camber plates. But since I built coilovers for the front, that was already on the list. lol

Im running Celica GT tubes which give more negative camber than the Supra tubes, plus the Techno Toy Tuning Camber plates on full negative.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:02 PM

That is a dope as hell ride. People have a lot of fun modding classic Japanese iron - I say go boso or go home.
Old 07-20-2011, 06:08 PM

im actually rethinking a 2J now, any M engine can be used with my tranny and its drop in, so i can use a 5M/7M/whatever and the motor mounts and everything work, just have to redo some wiring. 7M would be about 200hp NA

any idea if AE86 coilovers could be made to fit with minimal modding?

but god i want rims like that
Old 07-20-2011, 08:23 PM

Rides got a lot of potential man. Looking forward to what you have planned for it. But, what do you got planned for it?

Anyways, I'm not trying to hate or anything but I don't know about that shifter you got on right now.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:44 PM

shifter is for the lulz, lots of people have ones that are 2-3 times the size of it

gonna get a winter beater soon, then some rims for the Supra and get the exhaust done. just want to get the tranny beefed up and a 7MGTE or 2JZGTE and 6spd tranny afterwards, then at least attempt to get it low enough to fill some fender flares. a company still sells cages for it that i might go for. otherwise, thats it. interior isnt worth touching.

gotta fix the passenger door though, doesnt lock all the way when you close it so its a constant RATTLE RATTLE RATTLE RATTLE. its just gonna sit under a cover all winter in the garage
Old 07-21-2011, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by chrome91
shifter is for the lulz, lots of people have ones that are 2-3 times the size of it

gonna get a winter beater soon, then some rims for the Supra and get the exhaust done. just want to get the tranny beefed up and a 7MGTE or 2JZGTE and 6spd tranny afterwards, then at least attempt to get it low enough to fill some fender flares. a company still sells cages for it that i might go for. otherwise, thats it. interior isnt worth touching.

gotta fix the passenger door though, doesnt lock all the way when you close it so its a constant RATTLE RATTLE RATTLE RATTLE. its just gonna sit under a cover all winter in the garage
LOL I seen those types (actually seen one that was purple and looked like it was a foot long) on my local car forum too and it's freaking hilarious. We both know what those look like

Anyways, yeah those supras are NICE when they get those performance mods in them. The 6spd and an upgrades trans is gonna make that thing into a BEAST. Definitely gotta get that door fixed since I know that must be annoying as hell. Can't wait to see some updates in the future. Always been into supras.

Last edited by 6.5affiliate; 07-21-2011 at 12:03 AM.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:22 PM

***** shifters FTW

i actually always wanted a 240z, but considering MK1 were direct competition for S30Z and won i cant complain.
Old 07-22-2011, 04:13 PM

fixed all the problems, old and RWD FTW though. slave cylinder is right in the open on the tranny, axle seal was easy and just dropped in a new battery

old slave cylinder was in shape
Old 07-22-2011, 07:24 PM

***** shifters FTW

i actually always wanted a 240z, but considering MK1 were direct competition for S30Z and won i cant complain.
Exactly LOL

Supras are fast man and like I said. One of my favorites of all time, you made the right choice.

fixed all the problems, old and RWD FTW though. slave cylinder is right in the open on the tranny, axle seal was easy and just dropped in a new battery

old slave cylinder was in shape
Very nice man, can't wait to see an update. Should definitely get the old slave cylinder changed sooner or later before it becomes an issue.
Old 07-23-2011, 12:50 PM

i changed it with everything yesterday, it was pretty bad. big stain on the garage floor

i need to do the brakes soon too but thats easy, disk brakes i dont mind its just drum brakes that i cant stand
Old 07-25-2011, 06:32 PM

bought some Ferodo brakes, discontinued and i got them pretty cheap got my rear poly endlinks as well in the mail. gonna do those as well as replace the drive belts hopefully this weekend, and rear shocks if i get the time.

got some compliments on it yesterday at the gas station, kid made his dad stop to see it and i got a mini crowd around it

went to the junkyard early in the morning yesterday, needed a battery tie down (got one from a Cressida i can mod to work). and checked to see if the 3rd gen was there, thankfully it wasnt. lots of nice cars there, one of the few pics i got is a 1st gen Maxima beside a 280z. love the look of S30Z

Old 07-29-2011, 05:51 PM

did the belts today, they were in about the worst shape ive seen belts in. cracked allover and chunks missing, the squeaking is all gone

tranny isnt liking 2nd on downshifts still, think the syncros are fudged. going to take it for a rebuild probably late September or otherwise before the snow hits. otherwise im just not downshifting into 2nd
Old 07-31-2011, 05:33 PM

snagged a quick pic today

Old 08-02-2011, 06:30 PM

ran to see how big of a bill a rebuild would be and it looks like he has a built W50 tranny with nearly all new parts in it, synchros, the works. hes 95% sure its a W50, Monday its going in to double check and if it is, the trannys getting swapped out
Old 08-03-2011, 12:34 AM

snagged a quick pic today

It has a lot of potential man. After you do a few exterior mods it's gonna look pretty damn nice. I'll say that much.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:49 PM

yeah it needs the rear windows tinted lol, still have to do the exhaust as well

racing tranny has threw off getting a winter car though lol, doesnt matter for as much as i go out in winter i can take the bus. then just get the Supra better all winter

and i need the interior redone keeping it original but theres sun-tears allover
Old 08-03-2011, 05:47 PM

Why not just use a stronger W58 unit out of a MK2 or a MK3?
Old 08-03-2011, 07:17 PM

a few people have mentioned W58, but i dont think its going to get better than $1800 installed for a built W50 with new internals, and the new trans could handle a 7MGTE with no problems when the time comes
Old 08-07-2011, 05:56 PM

well a buddy told me the 3rd gens at the Junkyard, gold 3rd gen with stickers allover the back, no headlights or grille, etc. looks like it just got there and the suspension is all gone

i was hoping by selling it to a person, he would strip it and then crush the shell but i guess not. the last place i wanted it to end up was the junkyard

Supra goes in for the tranny tomorrow so Tuesday or Wednesday im hitching a ride to the JY to see the 3rd gen
Old 08-08-2011, 10:00 AM

A nice used W58 would run way cheaper, and would take the power from a 7MGTE, once youre not pushing too much power through it launching all the time. Even so, I think you could even put a nice R154 in there but you might have to massage the transmission tunnel with a hammer.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:05 PM

im not going to be too hard on it lol, i actually bought it to have a cheap RWD car i could thrash around but when i started to get compliments on it and saw how few there really are, i thought better not

tranny today started hating 3rd worse too, its sitting there and it looks like tomorrow theyre going to see if the other tranny is a W50.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:31 PM

Take care of her, its not often you find a MK1 anymore. And youre in Canada. Older Japanese cars never stood a chance with that salt!
Old 08-09-2011, 01:53 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Didn't think any of them are still around. Celica Supra.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:33 PM

it needs more work kinda thought the driveshaft had a wobble, looks like it does. worst part is Toyota made it so that you cant do the U joints themselves, you have to buy a new driveshaft. of course you cant find them anymore, but theres 1 place that can do the U joints only still.

looks like my current tranny is saveable, as i thought the synchros are gone and the only place that has a bearing/syncro kit is in Tennessee, so that will be shipped in a week. also something else might be going, i think input shaft. thats getting replaced too. its so bad that even he said not to drive it at all until it gets fixed

couldnt find the 3rd gen at the junkyard either, apparently it just got there but i ran around 3 times and couldnt find it, so either someone bought it whole which i doubt or its crushed
Old 08-30-2011, 08:54 PM

tranny kit isnt here yet customs is being weird about it and its still at the border, factoring in the trans still needs to be cracked open plus the driveshaft has to get sent off its probably about a month before its driveable again

in the meantime im doing the spark plugs/wires/rotor most likely over the long weekend, 5 out of the 6 wires look like the originals from '79 its got manual locks as well and the passenger side has the sticky ghost where you can press in the lock button, but it unlocks itself within a few hours or days and you need to lube something but i dont want to take the door panel off lol
Old 09-03-2011, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by TransAmBandit
Nice MK1 man, I love those things. Check out my MKII.
Yowza thats awesome...

OP: Any possibility of a LS1/5.3 swap instead?

http://www.celicasupra.com/forums/sh...-Supra-LS-type

Last edited by ampire; 09-03-2011 at 12:42 PM.
Old 09-03-2011, 04:50 PM

you dont know me too well, i dont like domestics and i rage whenever i see a LS1 in a import

only thing new is the junkyard has half off everything for the whole weekend, the other MK1 was still there so i grabbed the side Celica-Supra panel, oil cap, and the 2 aluminum wheels it had left on it.

did the spark plugs today as well, still looking for some rear rotors locally and waiting on the tranny stuff to drive it again

recent pic from today, looked crappy having the one hubcap missing so i have 2 MK1 hubcaps on the front and 2 Cressidas on the rear proper wheels come after the tranny stuff

Old 09-03-2011, 08:48 PM

kinda cool, got a Celica XX brochure from Japan on Ebay. i thought these were long forgotten in Japan. needless to say now im going to move my mirrors to the fenders lol

Old 09-04-2011, 07:41 PM

fixed up the wheels, they were in horrible shape.

before, this is after i cleaned them

after, 6 coats of duplicolor silver rim paint and 2 coats of clearcoat, the red ring around the lug holes chipped away so i just used a black sharpie and redid it. tomorrows the last day of half off so im running back to see if i can find another pair of decent wheels

also i know i oversprayed on the tires, theyre crappy 2000gt that im just gonna burn off anyways

random engine bay shot lol

Old 09-05-2011, 05:00 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

it needs more work kinda thought the driveshaft had a wobble, looks like it does. worst part is Toyota made it so that you cant do the U joints themselves, you have to buy a new driveshaft. of course you cant find them anymore, but theres 1 place that can do the U joints only still.
you absolutely do not have to buy a new driveshaft dude...staked u-joints are 100% replaceable at home with proper tools, i've replaced many...

http://rockforddriveline.com/Staked_Instructions.htm
Old 09-05-2011, 10:42 AM

i checked with Supra guys and i guess MK1 did come with 2 driveshafts, one that you could do the U joints on and one that was designed to replace as a whole. of course i get the one that you have to replace lol

im not getting a new driveshaft though, theres a place here that can get around it and still use my current driveshaft and do the U joints
Old 09-05-2011, 10:57 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

i checked with Supra guys and i guess MK1 did come with 2 driveshafts, one that you could do the U joints on and one that was designed to replace as a whole. of course i get the one that you have to replace lol

im not getting a new driveshaft though, theres a place here that can get around it and still use my current driveshaft and do the U joints
Right, your 79 came with a 2 piece drive shaft( carrier bearing type), later models were fitted with a 1 piece shaft due to issues with 2 piece shaft...I'm telling you that both drive shafts have serviceable u-joints...serviceable the same way as in the link i gave you...They both have the same staked type u-joints..Neither drive shaft has to be replaced...
Old 09-05-2011, 11:56 AM

weird i'll just do the U joints myself then i guess, still need the tranny done lol
Old 09-05-2011, 08:50 PM

Nice job cleaning the wheels. They look brand new job and the engine bay is prestine. Your ride is coming along nicely man.

Quick Reply: mad tyte Supra