Maximas for Sale / Wanted Have a Maxima that you want to sell? Looking for a Maxima? Let the world know about it. Be sure to include your location in the description!

IL 1996 black GLE parts car - good engine + trans - $400

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 06:35 PM

1996 black GLE parts car - good engine + trans - $400

FS: my sister's black 96

it's a rusty car. decent tires i think, dem lacy GLE wheels (as in http://images01.olx.com/ui/7/51/01/1...Maxima-GLE.jpg)

the exhaust fell off today at the front of the cat, and she's looking for a new car anyway. right now it's in a target parking lot off of Rte 83 in Willowbrook because i didn't want to drive with the exhaust scraping like that. might stop by tonight or tomorrow and try to get the exhaust up so the car is more drivable, but i don't have a battery powered grinder and my preferred solution is cutting it out.

buy this car for its:
- good engine + auto trans (~155k miles)
- decent interior (black leather, climate control, slightly rattly dash trim)
- trim, bits and baubles, spare parts

don't buy this car for its:
- exhaust (duh)
- suspension components
- radio...if you want the pioneer cd/mp3 deck that's in it i'll leave it in for $35. aux input as well but it's flaky. tbh i don't think the radio is worth $35 but it's your call. she'll want it for her next car.
- capacity as a daily driver...i did DD this car for about five months this year, and i hated every moment of it because of the rattly (and now completely missing) exhaust. it can be done, but i wouldn't recommend it.

this car isn't exactly a daily driver but it works and has done so relentlessly until now. if you want an engine or engine + trans the price is right..it's like if the pick'n'pull could drive to your house! (except you have to pick up the pick n pull from the target parking lot)

bring a battery powered angle grinder to cut out the exhaust though...
Old 08-10-2013, 07:28 PM

for the record, and for the reference of anyone trying to sell a similar car, i'll relay my experience:

i got the exhaust out and the car sold (with the exhaust bits i cut out) for $650 to the first visitor.

i got a lot of calls and emails (8-9 interested parties in <12 hours) after i listed it at $900 on craigslist, but i did not have the time to wait for them all. i figured having it off my hands sooner was worth the $100-150 more i might have been able to get, so that i could help my sister look for new cars over the next few days.

the point is, if you have a rough old maxima in the rust belt, you can get a nonzero amount of money for it the same day you list it. this seems like an important lesson to anyone considering junking one of these cars, as my sister was. these cars don't quit, and people are aware of that.

see ad (http://imgur.com/kldcNSf) for reference. brief description of the car, enumeration of its major problems, not really great pictures but decent resolution and lighting. i think those ingredients were important to attracting buyers and getting a price i could live with.

so we'll see where my sister ends up next. she liked an 03 maxima she saw at a dealership, though i think she needs something smaller. if she buys a civic or something, thanks a bunch, .org! it's been real. the maxima was the first car i had that i wrenched on and i couldn't have done it without you.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:37 PM

If u were in NYC I would have bought it already,