Maximas for Sale / Wanted Have a Maxima that you want to sell? Looking for a Maxima? Let the world know about it. Be sure to include your location in the description!

WI 1998 Maxima SE 5-speed 159k | Rosewood w/ Tan Cloth

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 03:28 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

1998 Maxima SE 5-speed 159k | Rosewood w/ Tan Cloth

(Reposting due to my noob mistake of putting the price in the thread title!)

Hello forum! After a decade of faithful service it is time to sell the Maxima. I bought it from a family member in August 2001 with 34k miles. It has approx. 159k miles now. It has a Rosewood exterior w/ a tan cloth interior and darker beige dash / trim. The car is almost totally stock... the only performance adders include a FSTB and a JW Popcharger intake. Includes the factory alarm but no ABS or Bose.

THE GOOD

Engine, transmission, brakes & suspension are great:
  • Engine pulls great and the VQ30DE really sings at redline.
  • Transmission is smooth shifting with no grinds or pops, always filled with Redline MT-90. Clutch is still original but is tight with no slipping. I get occasional chattering but it's done that for 100k miles and typically only when there is high humidity.
  • Suspension is also original but still snug.
  • Mileage is pretty good. I get approx. 23MPG with mixed City/Highway driving, and closer to 28MPG on the highway.

Car includes full maintenance records from 2001:
  • Two rounds of 60k service completed (plugs, coolant, transmission fluid, hydraulic / PS fluid, PCV valve, IAC valve clean-out, fuel filter, serpentine belt, etc.)
  • Repairs & replacements including multiple lower control arms & ball joints, CV joints, wheel bearings, sway bar end links, inner & outer tie rods, front & rear brake calipers & rotors, all oxygen sensors, muffler (plain-jane w/ no chrome trim ring), knock sensor, starter, alternator, fuel filler assembly and e-brake assembly.
  • Tires & battery are nearly-new. Kumho Ecsta 4X in 215/55/16, probably less than 8k miles. Rims are original OEM, a little pitted from 15 years of life in Wisconsin. One has a small nick from curb rash.

Title is clean and in-hand. It currently shows a lien which was paid off a few years ago. I have the lien waiver and will include it with the sale.

THE BAD
  • Exterior is rough in spots with several areas of rust. The worst is on the rear decklid, it's perforated and delaminating at the right spoiler mount. Additional areas are present around both front & rear wheel wells. All are shown in the photos, message me or e-mail me if you want more specific photos.
  • Remaining paint is clean / shiny but does show 15 years’ worth of use. A couple pieces of trim broke off the driver's side. Needs a good detail.
  • Interior needs minor work. The stereo works but the display has failed and two radio buttons popped off, so it’s mostly guesswork. Leather on the steering wheel leather is peeling away on the left side but a replacement wheel is available. Otherwise the seats are clean & rip-free. Original OEM floor mats are included. The vinyl shift boot was replaced with a leather unit. The original leather shift **** came apart and was replaced with a metal threaded ball.
  • The car was in one accident in 2001 (0% fault), hit on the right front. Work included front bumper, RF quarter, RF passenger door and a lot of clearcoat blending. It was fully repaired by CarStar in Wauwatosa WI and was not totaled.

Note: I have also some extras available, let me know if you're interested. I can send pictures separately of these items:
  • Four Blizzak snows on 15” steel rims (have a season or two of snow tread left, rims are a bit rusty but still straight.)
  • Set of OEM shocks / springs / struts with 29k miles for eventual future replacement (purchased here from 96MaXiclean in spring 2012 but never installed.)
  • Six new NGK plugs for the next tune-up.
  • Replacement I-30 OEM leather steering wheel since the current wheel leather is peeling.
  • Addco RSB, never installed. I might have the parts kit but no guarantees.
  • JL Audio stealthbox enclosure, no subwoofer but with OEM mounting kit.
  • JL Audio E6450 6-channel amplifier (works fine but very scratched up.)

A quick shout-out to the members here who have been so helpful over the years. Daniel B. Martin, wherever you went, thanks for all of the great technical information. Kevlo, thanks also for running a tight ship!

Price $2,000/offer. Cash, cashier’s check or USPS money orders only. Car can be seen in Wauwatosa WI, 53226.

Feel free to PM me through the forum with any add'l questions or comments. Or, call me @ 414 four zero three – six four zero eight. If you do call, let me know you found this on the ORG, I also have the car listed on Craigslist.

Regards,
TOM

Last edited by tom_98se; 06-04-2013 at 09:40 PM.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:41 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Bump for price reduction. Let me know if you have questions/comments.

Thanks,
TOM