Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

Who Has Done HIDs in an A33?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 04:41 PM

Who Has Done HIDs in an A33?

So in keeping with my current want to change stuff on my car, my friend just ordered HIDs for his Ford Ranger so that's got me thinking about putting in a DDM Tuning kit in my I30 even though I have a 3 month old set of Philips CrystalVision Ultras installed now. My only real concern (now that I'm past looking at 5000k vs 6000k lol) is how they actually look and perform. I do not want to get pulled over or annoy other drivers by putting them in. I was wondering if since the I30t and I35 had HIDs, if the housings actually work well with HID bulbs and that they perform well and don't scatter horribly. Thanks for any help guys! Hopefully I'll stop buying things for the car soon
Old 02-20-2013, 10:00 PM

No one? Maybe I'll have to find out for myself then
Old 02-21-2013, 07:02 AM

I've always wondered this about Altimas that had HID's as an option as well. Unfortunately I have no idea either. Let us know how it goes!
Old 02-21-2013, 07:36 AM

I have 55 watt 6000k hid's in my 01 and have never been flashed. The housing handles the hid beam pattern very well..
Old 02-21-2013, 07:39 AM

I have a 4300k hid kit in my a33. No problems. The beam pattern is nice. No black spots.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:52 AM

Thanks guys! Just placed my order for a DDM 6000k kit. I've been staring at pictures for the last week trying to figure out which color. Hopefully the 6000k won't be too blue, otherwise I guess I can always order a set of 5000K bulbs, but I won't be able to see anything till they get here
Old 02-21-2013, 03:52 PM

HID's in halogen housings FTL
Old 02-21-2013, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by tigersharkdude
Agreed. Unless its a stock hid (d2r)
Old 02-21-2013, 04:52 PM

Edit: Duplicate post

Last edited by MaxMike93; 02-21-2013 at 04:54 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by mayur914

Agreed. Unless its a stock hid (d2r)
Looks like ill have to see how they are when they can come in. The kit wasn't very expensive so if it seems like they would pose a problem for others/myself ill take them out
Old 02-21-2013, 08:14 PM

They look fine, and work fine. imo. I have never had any complaints..

You can retro fit some projectors (time, money) or buy oem hid headlights. ( + money)

Just my two cents
Old 02-22-2013, 08:07 AM

HID's in halogen reflector housings = EPIC glare.

You know those annoying trucks and car that pass by you or ride behind you and the glare from their lights is blinding? That will be you with HID's in halogen housings
Old 02-22-2013, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by MaxMike93
Looks like ill have to see how they are when they can come in. The kit wasn't very expensive so if it seems like they would pose a problem for others/myself ill take them out
Old 02-22-2013, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Crusher103

You know those annoying trucks and car that pass by you or ride behind you and the glare from their lights is blinding? That will be you with HID's in halogen housings
Let me say why I got this. All my friend's were getting them and I wanted to give them a try, especially since I like the white/slight blue look that I see on most, if not all, premium cars. I don't have the money for I30t/I35 headlights and I don't like the look of the eBay projector headlights (which some people argue are even worse than stock) and retrofit isn't really the look I want (although dna59's look pretty good) and I don't have the know-how or time to do them. When they come, I will see if it is possible to adjust them, if needed, to reduce/eliminate glare to others. If they look bad no matter what, I'll put my CrystalVision Ultra bulbs back in. Some people, as in previously in this thread, say that they are not that bad. But if my car seems to have bad glare/pose a threat to other people then I'll take them out and go back to halogens. I won't be some arrogant @$$hole that puts in HIDs just to think he's cool and not give a crap how it affects other drivers.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Crusher103
EXACTLY

Let me say why I got this. All my friend's were getting them and I wanted to give them a try, especially since I like the white/slight blue look that I see on most, if not all, premium cars. I don't have the money for I30t/I35 headlights and I don't like the look of the eBay projector headlights (which some people argue are even worse than stock) and retrofit isn't really the look I want (although dna59's look pretty good) and I don't have the know-how or time to do them. When they come, I will see if it is possible to adjust them, if needed, to reduce/eliminate glare to others. If they look bad no matter what, I'll put my CrystalVision Ultra bulbs back in. Some people, as in previously in this thread, say that they are not that bad. But if my car seems to have bad glare/pose a threat to other people then I'll take them out and go back to halogens. I won't be some arrogant @$$hole that puts in HIDs just to think he's cool and not give a crap how it affects other drivers.
Here's what I got from that post,

All of my friends are doing it, so Im goint to do it too. Instead of saving money to do it the right way, Im going to spend 1/5 the money and get the "kit"...it should good enough. Im going to listen to the guys that have been here for a year or two instead of the two guy that have been here for going on a decade. Lastly im not doing it to look cool, im just doing what my friends are doing.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:01 AM

EXACTLY

All of my friends are doing it, so Im goint to do it too. Instead of saving money to do it the right way, Im going to spend 1/5 the money and get the "kit"...it should good enough. Im going to listen to the guys that have been here for a year or two instead of the two guy that have been here for going on a decade. Lastly im not doing it to look cool, im just doing what my friends are doing.
I wasn't saying that I never wanted to spend the money on doing a retrofit or just to "fit in". Being a college student, I work part time too so that doesn't provide me with the time or money to enable me to do a proper installation. In the future when I plan to have this car on the side, I'd love to do a proper install. But with how it is now, I'd like to see how it looks, and how it performs since I do a lot of driving at night. Additionally, I never even looked at join dates, I just know that you have been here for a while. If they perform bad or pose harm for others, then I'll take them out and hopefully be able to use them in the future. I have wanted HIDs on this car and the Acura I had before my I30, I am just deciding to do it now. So if it works out for me and they are OK, then great. If they don't I'll save them for another time. And yes, I have seen cars that have HID kits and look horrible, but I have also seen some that are just brighter but don't blind me at all
Old 02-22-2013, 10:16 AM

I wasn't saying that I never wanted to spend the money on doing a retrofit or just to "fit in". Being a college student, I work part time too so that doesn't provide me with the time or money to enable me to do a proper installation. In the future when I plan to have this car on the side, I'd love to do a proper install. But with how it is now, I'd like to see how it looks, and how it performs since I do a lot of driving at night. Additionally, I never even looked at join dates, I just know that you have been here for a while. If they perform bad or pose harm for others, then I'll take them out and hopefully be able to use them in the future. I have wanted HIDs on this car and the Acura I had before my I30, I am just deciding to do it now. So if it works out for me and they are OK, then great. If they don't I'll save them for another time. And yes, I have seen cars that have HID kits and look horrible, but I have also seen some that are just brighter but don't blind me at all
Don't do it. Save your money for the right thing.
I did this myself, now Chris here on the org is doing my retrofits for me.
Terrible glare will happen from ANY halogen housing with drop in HIDs.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:33 AM

EXACTLY

Jeez! Pissing contest?!? Let the guy do what he wants, it's his car. All you can do is share and give your opinion.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Joeker82

Jeez! Pissing contest?!? Let the guy do what he wants, it's his car. All you can do is share and give your opinion.
Thank you, Joeker. I realize that everyone is entitled to their opinions, but when some people say that have essentially the exact same car as mine, and they do not experience issues then I would like to at least give it a try. I'd appreciate it if some people, mainly one person, would realize that I can have the judgement to see that if it will cause a problem to other drivers on the road that I can do the responsible thing and revert back to halogen bulbs like the car came with. With that being said, can we please not turn this whole thread into another argument and leave it as a discussion of these cars and accessories which so many of us have a passion for. After all, that's the reason members here are actually on this site.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:59 PM

I've had HID's in all my B13's and never got flashed. Just gotta pull up to a big wall and angle them so that they don't blind anyone. I had HID's in my JDM headlights which are angled for RHD and never got flashed. You're always gonna have big shots trying to **** on halogen housings with HID's, but as long as you angle them correctly you'll be fine.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:23 PM

I have had them before and I could say that most people start out with having HIDs in halogen just from what I have seen.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:26 PM

There is always that guy on every forum who sees jacked up trucks running 10000k hids with massive glare and will not change his opinion on hids in a halogen housing no matter what.. Ill say it again, running FIFTY FIVE watt 6000k hids in my halogen housing. Great beam pattern, NEVER been flashed.. Aim them right and you will be fine... Ignore the haters. Sure some cars will not handle hid's well but this one does..
Old 02-26-2013, 05:25 AM

Put em in projectors or don't do it.

Save your money and do what I did: http://forums.maxima.org/infiniti-i3...ngel-eyes.html

Last edited by rbaksi; 02-26-2013 at 05:36 AM.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by 2000MaximaSE
There is always that guy on every forum who sees jacked up trucks running 10000k hids with massive glare and will not change his opinion on hids in a halogen housing no matter what.. Ill say it again, running FIFTY FIVE watt 6000k hids in my halogen housing. Great beam pattern, NEVER been flashed.. Aim them right and you will be fine... Ignore the haters. Sure some cars will not handle hid's well but this one does..
Well usually that guy is nothing else but a fat ignorant f**k who has a small p***s and can't make his gf happy... so he has to do something stupid... HID in a halogen housing is a big NO NO...
MaxMike93: considering the time you have invested in creating this thread you could have done the research and find out why its big NO NO... also the TRS store sells very good bi-xenon projectors for a fairly reasonable price... and also the "kit" that you purchased form DDM is a complete joke... let alone that everything above 4300K will actually be darker... also I am pretty sure you have never even read or none of friends have ever used relay harnesses for the HID... yes that is correct you have to use a special harness when installing HIDs its not just "plug and play" voltage at the ballast is critical... you should have done yourself a favor and purchased a set of really really good halogen bulbs instead of buying the "kit" and please don't ever buy the Sylvania Ultrastarts...
Bottom line or moral of the story: Save your $$$ do a research and build a nice retrofit... FYI a good set of bulbs and ballasts will set you around $250 or more and it will be something that will last and actually work...
Old 02-26-2013, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by L_U_D_I_AMaxima
Well usually that guy is nothing else but a fat ignorant f**k who has a small p***s and can't make his gf happy... so he has to do something stupid... HID in a halogen housing is a big NO NO...
MaxMike93: considering the time you have invested in creating this thread you could have done the research and find out why its big NO NO... also the TRS store sells very good bi-xenon projectors for a fairly reasonable price... and also the "kit" that you purchased form DDM is a complete joke... let alone that everything above 4300K will actually be darker... also I am pretty sure you have never even read or none of friends have ever used relay harnesses for the HID... yes that is correct you have to use a special harness when installing HIDs its not just "plug and play" voltage at the ballast is critical... you should have done yourself a favor and purchased a set of really really good halogen bulbs instead of buying the "kit" and please don't ever buy the Sylvania Ultrastarts...
Bottom line or moral of the story: Save your $$$ do a research and build a nice retrofit... FYI a good set of bulbs and ballasts will set you around $250 or more and it will be something that will last and actually work...
The kits from DDM are awesome in my experience as is their customer service.. For 35-45 bucks you can buy 5 sets as back ups instead of dropping $250 on one set Maybe when I get some time I will post some pics to prove that hid's work very well in the A33 halogen housing! And trust me, if there was an awesome aftermarket projector housing for our car I would buy that in a heart beat.. I dont have the patience to hunt down some TSX projectors for a good price and make my own Plus at 168k miles it seems like I am replacing one part or another every month or 2... Sure its better than a car payment but a pain.. I am also trying to a hunt down a black 2004 M45 in decent milage... Talk about needle in a haystack! One day though I will find it and drop it about an inch, put on a simple exhaust, and some gun metal 19's.... Mmmmmm I love those cars.. Too bad they only imported like 2000 of the 04 model

Last edited by 2000MaximaSE; 02-26-2013 at 07:10 PM.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:50 AM

Old 03-16-2013, 09:47 AM

Just to close off this thread, I just wanted to give my first impressions since I put the bulbs in the other day. The color difference is amazing, considering these make my Philips CrystalVision Ultras look flat out yellow. As soon as I put them in, I noticed that they were actually aimed a bit too low and while driving on dark roads I was straining my eyes by looking where the beam just didn't reach compared to how it was. So I actually had to adjust them up a little using a comparison picture when there was one halogen and one HID installed and that fixed it greatly. Light coverage is fantastic now and I made sure they were not too high. I drove past friends, behind them, and the consensus that they are not blinding (my friend compared it to every other car passing, just that the light is brighter, without blinding his eyes). No getting flashed, and I even drove past a parked State Police vehicle (I assume doing radar) on the Garden State Parkway and I wasn't stopped. I am not looking to raise any more arguments with this post, I just wanted to share my personal experience with the HIDs.

This is how the beams looked on a wall about 10-15 feet away just when I changed out a halogen. You can see that compared to the halogen, the light for some reason (I am thinking to how an HID bulb is designed) the light from the HID was shining lower. Later on, I did follow proper procedure to aim the lights correctly.
Name:  2CB5D19D-096B-4430-A2CF-2D0C88CE3257-7348-000002BBBA77FA7A_zps254c8c71.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  132.0 KB

Last edited by MaxMike93; 03-16-2013 at 09:49 AM.
Old 03-16-2013, 02:03 PM

Nice job Mike! Car is lookin real good! :-)